LK153 - Australia

By the way is it possible to run 1.8 ccm on a custom map?

I think I would kinda like a practice game on 1.8 before 2.0, and Lee wants to use the world map... I was wondering if we could do both.

Yes, this would be possible without any problems (but may be it is a little bit too easy if you know all about the world you are playing in from start). I only need the worldmap that should be used, if there should be some restrictions in settling (as it is in normal CCM 1.8), the civs that should participate in the game and if these civs should have original starting positions. May be in Europe with the current map used for the Australia game there is not enough space for all CCM civs, so may be some should be sorted out.

Back to the crash problem of your current game. Nearly all cities produced units like mad. Can it be, that you have run into a form of the MUA (8192 units on the map)?

By the way is it possible to run 1.8 ccm on a custom map?

I think I would kinda like a practice game on 1.8 before 2.0, and Lee wants to use the world map... I was wondering if we could do both.
I am fine with playing CCM on a standard CCM map.

Another world map needs a fresh theme. All I will say is Australia is done. Way to much ship-chaining headaches.
For a WM to be interesting again - it would be something I have never done such as AW on the map, culture win, etc.

I will check the auto saves tonight.
I play on an XM emulator under Windows 7, and during that whole session I never shut down civ / loaded a game. It is very possible all 10 turns of mine are lost.

I tried the following:
Multiple auto-saves, and they all crash on save.
I loaded several random save points including the save 1510A AD. They all crash on save.
I loaded the original 1510 AD, and let it to go next turn. It saved fine, and reloaded fine.
I loaded 1560 AD, and deleted 50+ units near Copenhagen. It crashed on save before going to end of turn.
I found a copy of Civ3 multi-tool. It loads 1510 AD without issues. I reports errors all over the place trying to load 1560 AD. There are only ~4600 units in the game. We aren't at the limit.

I think my habit of just closing the XP emulator and leaving the game running caught up. I didn't load once during playing the game. Something could legitimately be hosed from the first turn.

My 10 turns are lost.
I don't see any way to recover. I can't see using Civ3 edit to fix it.
Our choices are:
1) I restart from 1510 AD. This will take a while, as I push other stuff off each time I play a round. I can't ignore the other stuff at this point.
2) NP takes the game from 1510 AD. I play after him.
3) We consider the game a win, and don't bother trying to complete the last few rounds. With Egypt busted, there is no way for the AI to win.

If we continue, I will wipe out my last block of turn logs.

That's dreadful luck not having any save except the corrupted one. Thanks for your full investigation of the situation.

I'll re-play the game from Greebley's 1510 AD save. Even though we'll inevitably win, I think it's a little early just to declare victory; and you can hardly be asked to play the same boring round again.

I'll probably do the same things as LK, since given that we're sparing the Persians to add challenge and a role-playing element, we can't attempt anything on a large scale until we have transports in ten turns to ship our armies.

I'll re-play the game from Greebley's 1510 AD save.
My number one request is to max hire civil engineers. I want all squares claimed in Europe, Asia, and Africa by the time we land in America.

I chopped heavy in Scandinavia, Siberia and Russia to help get settlers / temples.

The gaps in Africa are so big, that we probably need to build a few cities in it.

Go ahead and draft then disband to get galleons built. I preferred that over burning our cash reserve.

I removed all my turn logs from the boards to avoid confusion.

BTW, I took this screenshot before the 1560 AD turn crashed on me:

Is this Lovecraft's Nameless City? :lol:

I had this kind of corruption pop up in a previous MP game. It got to the end of the turn, then...BAM. CTD. I was able to avoid the crash by skipping my turn on the turn of the crash, but that would have left me in a bad position for the next turn.

As for Africa, I tried to calculate where to put cities on my turn. A lot of the larger gaps will autofill when the cities around them each get 1-2 border expansions (TBF, that would be a good 30 turns away).

In happier news, my laptop is back in operation! My case fan died about two weeks ago, so I was leaving it off to avoid melting anything. The replacement arrived on Thursday night, and the new fan is humming along :D

1510 (0): Nice micromanagement for multiples of thirty and forty shields.

I change a few low-shield, high-commerce cities to university builds.

We ride down an Argentinian settler/inf pair in Spain that Tusker bombarded but evidently forgot to attack (1-0). ;)

We do a little more bombardment of enemies at sea with our artillery.

We assign a lot of civil engineers.

We found Tintin, Snowy, and Haddock on the African coast facing Madagascar, so that we can rush ships there immediately. In the process we abandon Amatikulu, though for the most part we'll try to bring the big Zulu cities out of resistance with huge stacks of infantry.

One of our galleons repels the attack of an Egyptian frigate on the open ocean (2-0).

We bring Izipezi and Zunguin out of resistance in the former Zulu lands.

1515 (1): We found four cities in extreme eastern Siberia, grabbing as much land as possible and gaining good locations to rush ships for the eventual Siberia-Alaska invasion.

We found two cities on the French and Dutch coasts facing Britain, again so that we can rush ships as needed.

We found three towns in western Siberia, one in Scandinavia, and three in Africa to fill gaps in our position.

The Zulus have re-founded Amatikulu on Madagascar. :lol:

We lumberjack up three galleons facing the northern island where Egypt holds Volodga, and about fifteen temples in the tundra generally.

We bring Tugela and Mpondo out of resistance.

1520 (2): We found two more towns in eastern Siberia, where the Persians are auto-razing minor Sioux cities for us.

We found two cities in Spain to claim land, and two in central Africa for the same purpose.

We continue lumberjacking operations in the tundra, now oriented towards galleons for the amphibious hop to Alaska (once upgraded) as well as temples.

We send SciMeth to Brazil to renew our supply of gems, also picking up 11 gpt, 1 gold, and their WM.

We lumberjack up some galleons in our ports on the English Channel—full lumberjacking, in that here we plant the forests before cutting them down.

We land forces next to the two island cities off West Africa, Egyptian Nimrud and Argentinian Kukiya, though the buildups may be slow and we won’t necessarily attack next turn.

We land sixteen units next to Volodga on Egypt’s Siberian island.

I thought our one infantry army had been kept galleon-mobile with three units because it has only 12 HP, and that it could anchor our landing on Madagascar, but now I find it holds four units—two are just conscripts. What happened there? :confused:

So, we land sixteen units not covered by an army next to New Hlobane on Madagascar.

The Americans and the Sioux make peace. Too bad—that was a useful war.

We bring Ulundi and Isandhlwana out of resistance.

Umfolozi flips on us. It was empty.

We complete a university and two libraries, and cut a turn off our time to Combustion (now six turns).

1525 (3): We re-take and raze Umfolozi, held by one Impi (3-0). We claim three workers.

On Madagascar we storm and raze the present Zulu capital of New Hlobane, garrisoned by three musketmen and an Impi (7-0). We gain five workers and a Great Leader, who’ll provide us with a three-unit cavalry army for the British campaign.

We found Allan next to the ruins of New Hlobane.

We seize and auto-raze re-founded Amatikulu, defended by a musketman, an Impi, and a longbowman (10-0).

On the two islands off West Africa we build up but don’t attack.

We capture and raze Egyptian Volodga, held by two inf (12-0), and acquire three workers.

We found Bohlwinkel by the ruins of Volodga.

We land the Ring-Tailed Lemur Army and eight supporting units on England’s south coast.

We bring Hlobane out of resistance, and almost do the same for Tanis.

1530 (4): We found Ridgewell on Madagascar, giving us access to New Isandhlwana.

We take New Isandhlwana, garrisoned by two musketmen, an Impi, and a longbowman, and eliminate the “Glorious Zulus” (16-0). We capture two workers and gain our second Great Leader of the round, who founds the three-unit Potto Army.

Top Bottom