1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK153 - Australia

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Apr 13, 2015.

1. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

ROSTER:

LKendter
    Elephantium (up)
    Greebley (on deck)
    Northern Pike (skip Feb 16 to Mar 15)

Our biggest challenge is the terrain. Between are the forest, and mountains it is slow going. In addition, we are still getting new stacks crossing the borders each turn to deal with. I have taken out a decent chunk of Sioux towns, but their core is still intact.

2. LKendter

:bump:

Overdue for got it.

3. LKendter

ROSTER:

LKendter
    Elephantium (up) (PMed yesterday, still no response)
    Greebley (on deck) (possible skip to)
    Northern Pike (skip Feb 16 to Mar 15)

4. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

Sorry about the delay. I was out of town last weekend, and I've been busy catching up this week. I will have some time to play on Sunday, but I'm pretty busy 'til then.

5. LKendter

The WM at this stage is always where you can fit it in. Look how many sessions I took for those 12 turns. Sometimes it was 1 hour free, and that wasn't enough for a single turn.

6. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Ya, taking two weeks has been the average recently. A few days won't matter.

I wouldn't be able to play any sooner.

7. Dwarven Zerker

Dwarven Zerker Just one more turn Honey!

delurk

Since this one is pretty much in the bag, a request for the next SG:

I'd be interested in seeing what this team of greats can do on Civinator's RARR mod since he's been able to cleanup the old RAR and implement some intended functionality that eluded the original RAR team. What say you?

lurk

8. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Our plan was to try CCM 2.0 when it is out; we have discussed playing a CCM practice game because it has been a while since we played it.

Going back and playing RaR would be confusing; I would mix up the two.

Also I remember liking ccm better than RaR. Not sure I would want to go back.

9. Dwarven Zerker

Dwarven Zerker Just one more turn Honey!

Fair enough. I've always enjoyed "watching" you guys pull off amazing victories. Keep it up and looking forward to the next SG already.

10. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I won't be able to play at all this weekend; so Elephantium, there is no rush to get it to me. April 2 will be the first day I have a good chunk of time.

Not sure how close the win will be when you finish but if it is just a few turns then I am fine if you finish up the game.

11. Elephantium

TBH I haven't had much time to look at it -- I'm moving this weekend, so I've been busy packing :(

I may have some time to play next week, after the move, but even then time will be sparing.

12. LKendter

:bump:
    Any news yet? You've mentioned a move happening, but you have had it since Mar 11.

13. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

I've just discovered this podcast, featuring Soren Johnson, which provides more detail than I've ever seen about the messy design process for Civ III, along with very frank discussion of how Civ IV was designed as a reaction to the way we play Civ III. :lol: I think anyone on this forum would find it interesting. Soren talks about how much he improved Civ III in the six months after its release by working with "the community", which must mean largely CivFanatics. He seems to think that PtW is the ideal version of Civ III, while disliking Conquests as departing too far from his concept.

https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/civilization-at-25

14. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Lurker:

I have mentioned this once before on this site. When a bunch of us on Poly were playing international demo games of PTW, were were approach by Soren. He ask us to let him view our private logs/chat for the game and we said yes. This game lasted 2 yrs, iirc correctly.

ASeson was on the team and many top players on poly. Some were beta testers for civ3. We were asked not to discuss his presence. I think after all these years, that obligation is moot. No one cares and I doubt he does either.

It was an amazing game and for the plan of battle vs the largest civ in the game so detail and masterful. One of my old friends led the large civ. I wish I had the log for it. In the end we found that two non NA teams had conspired at the start to defeat us.

We had a smallish island start, but they had to nuke us to win. I was not a factor in the game in any big way. The game required many assist from Gramphos to fix corrupt saves. He had access to all teams to monitor any funny stuff.

I wish I could remember the player who did the turns at the end of the game, he was so good. He did much of the planning for that invasion and found the one path to get past their ships to even land.

15. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Fascinating stuff--thanks for the historical insight.

16. Elephantium

@LK sorry, I should have been more clear about when I had time to play and when I was busy. I'll have a report posted later today.

17. Elephantium

Long-awaited turn report:

Pre-turn:
    I discover an unused ship full of arty and use that to bombard the stack near Quentin Lance.

Aztecs and Persia sign MA vs. Argentina

T1:

We bombard and raze Texpapan
    We use eCavs to capture (redlined) Crow Creek, but we don't net any leaders.
    Tepetlaoxtoc and Dallas fall next, and that opens the way to Gros Ventre. Still no Leaders.
    Now we're fighting in Grassland! :D
    Santee (18) is a tough nut to crack, costing at least half a dozen Cavs. Still, it falls on schedule.
    Nadouessioux is another costly city, but I don't run out of cavs.
    Dakota goes better; we only lose 3 Cavs.
    Yankton is TOUGH - we lose two Armies reducing its defenders :( On the bright side, the losses leave redlined Infantry in their wake.
    Teton goes a bit easier, but we still need three Armies to take it.
    First Knight Army sees some action killing stray American Knights.

Persia finally takes New Macao
    American troops swarm around Teton.
    Sioux bombard us and kill the top Inf in Dakota
    They also kill a stray Inf

New Mpondo deposes us for Egypt.

T2:
    We capture New Leipzig easily with the Arty just landed.
    Between killing some stray units that are a threat near Alaska, I raze New Mpondo. New Mongolo replaces it nearby.
    Wounded Knee falls next to a mix of eCavs and vCavs, plus the Knight Army.
    We *finally* seize New Byblos from Egypt! It costs a couple of Cavs amidst the retreats before their last Inf falls.
    Next we raze Seattle, Houston, and St. Louis.
    We capture Cree, Omaha, Chicago, and Boston.

I fill in several cities before getting "too many cities".

Sioux attack Crow Creek, lose 3 Inf
    ...they also attack Dallas, losing 1 Cav

Gros Ventre deposes us

T3:

Raze Gros Ventre for their temerity!

...and here's where I left off. We've gotten to the Great Lakes, so we just need to deal with the wide dispersion between AI cities as we advance.

Attached Files:

18. LKendter

UGG - Going to make it tougher to wrap up America. Greebley gets to search our territory for cities we can dump without losing any tiles. I hope there is a few of them.

ROSTER:

LKendter
    Elephantium
    Greebley (up)
    Northern Pike (on deck)

19. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I have got it.

It felt like a while since I played so I checked; This is my first turn in 2016.

20. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Made a start today and finished most of 1620 and 1625. Looks like I am gaining 2% a turn, so on the 3rd turn after this (total 5 turns) I can try to push us over.

Started Temples and can add libraries to get a 3 turn border expansion.

----
    BTW I never thought about this but doing libraries first is better:
    Library 3
    wait 6
    add temple 11

is better than

temple 2
    library 7
    wait

You get a shield during the first 'wait' to avoid rushing a worker at double shields.