1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK153 - Australia

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Our usual settings for CCM have been huge world, no barbarians, continents, 60% water, wet/temperate/5 billion, normal AI aggression, and deity.

2. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

3. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Steadholder Supporter

Greebley, I am running "vanilla" civ 3 complete with only the CCM mod added and do not see the 'off by one' error. All the creation screens look perfect to me.

To get a feel for the mod, I played several CCM games partly through (third era was as far as I got) while following LK153. Also, I have read the links you provided and the CCM game you guys won by space race.

4. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

To which I'll add these tips of my own on the ways in which the early game in CCM difffers from that in C3C:

1. Fast population growth in our early cities is far more important, since there aren't the two ceilings at size six and size twelve--and we don't get many cities.

2. Workers and settlers have to be protected from invisible attackers by 2500 BC at the latest.

3. It's vital to get the cheap culture sources--National Symbol from the start, and a little later religious communities--built as soon as possible.

4. Religion is an incredibly expensive tech, and we have to keep that in mind from the beginning, if only to set up our 50-turn run ASAP.

5. Worker Houses must be built in the second city, not the capital, or its function as a barracks is wasted.

6. Slavers should ambush weak units that come to us, not wander. It's useless to have them operating so far away that the slaves they take can't make it home safely.

7. Workers are so scarce, and mining a grassland or plains tile takes so long (twelve worker-turns), that a decision to have one worker build a mine is usually wrong. It's better to preserve our worker-actions for roads in the early game, though of course this works best with a lot of BG around.

5. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Yes, this is the right one. I named it beta to distinguish this version from the upcoming CCM version 2.00.

No, of course such a text is not intended. At present I can only guess, what could cause this distortion. It seems to be a problem with the labels text file. This could result from:

1. Using a steam version of CivComplete:

Firaxis did a big mistake with updating the steam version as they added a new line -that has no sense, other than breaking the text of all scenarios and mods that don´t use the steam version. The last update of the Steam version of Civ Complete by Steam/Firaxis added a new line between "PING" and "Host" (line 86) to the labels text that just says "Unknown". Of course this messed up the labeling of buttons and other text for all C3C mods/scenarios with own labels texts (as it is the case with RARR and CCM and many other mods and scenarios).

So you can simply fix this manually by adding a new line called Unknown between the lines Ping and Host (line 86 of the labels text) with any text editor.
    If you have downloaded RARR, I added a labels text file that added this line as a patch for all civers who must use the ##** Steam-version.

In that case, this problem is not caused by CCM, but by Firaxis and Steam.

2. I also remember, that such distortions could arise, if C3C wasn´t updated with the patch for the correct language.

These problems happened long ago and in this case I must have a deeper view in that matter.

Edit: I temporary attache the file with the fixed labels text for the Steam version of CivComplete. Simply rename the text file to labels and copy it over the labels file of CCM in the text folder if you must use the Steam version of CivComplete.

Attached Files:

6. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

I've gotten CCM installed.
    Now I need to figure out how to switch out from the default graphics. Not only do I find it hard, but something is screwing up with turning on show food and shields on map. When I click it one I get more shield symbols, and no food symbols. I am hoping switching to Snoopy's will solve this.

7. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I did have the steam version. Edited the ccm labels file and it works now.
    Thanks.

8. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Oh I also like a random civ for us to be when playing a game like this. That way you don't just learn the best civs.

9. Civinator

Very welcome. I´m glad that this Firaxis/Steam problem is now fixed for you. :)

I have here a suggestion: If the random civ that is choosen, was still the subject of a CCM succession game, you should take another random civ, so each CCM succession game still would cover a new civ, what could be more interesting for the lurkers. :)

10. Civinator

LKendter, I answer your question above (that I also received as a pm) here as I think this could be interesting for other civers, too.

Here is a copy I made for RARR how to switch between the different terrain sets (CCM additionally also holds Snoopy terrain; the methode of changing the terrain sets in CCM is the same as it is in the description I did for RARR):

Easy change of the terrain graphics inside this mod:

In its art-folder RARR (or CCM) holds three different beautiful sets of Civ 3-terrain:

- Vuldacon Terrain

When you have downloaded RARR (or CCM), Vuldacon Terrain is the standard terrain, you will find in the folder called terrain in the CCM or RARR arts folder.

Spoiler :

- Ares Terrain

Spoiler :

- RickFGS Terrain

Spoiler :

The player can switch easily between the different sets of terrain in two steps:

1. Rename the folder terrain in the arts folder of RARR or CCM to TerrainVuldacon, TerrainAres or TerrainRickFGS (the one of the three terrains, that is missing its suffix at the end of the word Terrain)
    2. Rename the new terrain folder that should be used by the mod by deleting the suffix Vuldacon, Ares or RickFSG to Terrain.

All three terrain sets are excellent, so I included all three sets into RARR. Games can be continued after switching the set of terrain.

So if you want to have let´s say Snoopy terrain as the terrain of CCM, simply rename the folder that currently is named terrain to any other name (like TerrainVuldacon or Terrain1 or something like that) and rename if you want to have let´s say Snoopys terrain, the folder of Snoopy´s terrain simply to terrain. The suggestion to start the name of each of the different terrain folders with terrain is effective as you simply can delete the suffix of the terrain with wordpad and have the new folder for the terrain at once in action (if the arts folder don´t holds any longer another folder that is simply called terrain) Civ 3 is looking for the graphics that are in the folder that is only called terrain.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

About the additional food and shield graphics the solution is even more simple:

These images are in a simple graphics file inside each terrain folder, called tnt. I didn´t like these green dots and small white dots, that´s why I wiped them out and replaced them with only graphics for shields. But tastes are different and the original tnt file is the file in the terrain folder that is under the tnt file and is named tnt-orig.

The procedure to replace the modified tnt file with the original tnt file is the same as it is with the different terrain graphics sets, but this time it is inside the current graphics folder:

Please rename the tnt-file to tnt1 (or something else) and than rename the tnt-orig file to tnt (by deleting the suffix -orig in the name of that file) and you still have the foods and shields graphics you are used too. If one of the different terrain sets shouldn´t hold a tnt file, this file can be copied into that set.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As we here are talking about terrain, here is a post and a link to a single file that has a big impact to all civers, who have a problem with the border between Snoopy (or Vuldacon) terrain between sea- and ocean-terrain:

For all civers who have problems with the contrast of the Vuldacon terrain between the sea- and the ocean-tiles, there is a nice fix done by CrackedCrystal many years ago (at that time for the Snoopy terrain, what is a part of the combination terrain done by Vuldacon). Simply replace the wCSO.pcx graphics by the graphics file done by CrackedCrystal in the terrain folder of CCM or RARR (after making a backup of that file). As this post concerns both epic mods CCM and RARR I post it in both threads.

The wCSO.pcx graphics of CrackedCrystal can be found here.

11. Civinator

As all good things in a row are three, here is my third post in a row. :)

If you need a concentrated information about CCM, you can find it in English in the first posts of CCM at Civforum.de: http://www.civforum.de/showthread.php?90564-CCM-Betatest-(epic-mod

In the credits of the first post of that site, you can also find the names of some famous players of CCM succession games who helped to make this mod more popular and also help to improve the game with their observations and even questions (per example the question about the tnt file in the post above let´s me reflect about improving that file for the next version of CCM) :).

When looking at the names of the players I miss CommandoBob. The Rat still is taking a break until may be CCM version 2.00.

12. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

13. Civinator

I wish you good luck with the new succession game, give you support with the mod CCM as it is possible within my limited free time and will hint in the CCM forums at CFC and CivForum.de to your new succession game. :) I hope you have choosen the biggest possible map size, as CCM versions up to 1.8 are constructed for this size.