LK155 - CCM, Maya

Lawyer signs an USA Arquebusier to an entertainment contract.
Elite Lawyer discovers a talented Arquebusier while trying to server eviction notice.
Elite Lawyer signs Arquebusier to a singing contract
Lawyer signs an Arquebusier to a recording contract
Lawyer signs a Late Spearman to a movie deal
Lawyer convinces Musketeer to sing for a living

:lol::thumbsup: :deal:

And came up with this bit of entertainment for the masses:

Decision time:

I have our next Settler ready to go. I don't recall any recent discussion about dotmaps except:

LK's red dot north of Uaxactun:

A dotmap from page 5!

I've built rails around Light Blue and Gray there; we also have vast tracts of Old American land open to settle:

Red is perfectly positioned with respect to Yax and gets some nice BGs. Green gets several hills, including a gold hill - a production powerhouse once it's up to size. Blue will grow very quickly; it has three FPs and the wheat. It's also nicely dovetailed with white, one of the nicer coastal sites available.

Do we have a ton of free workers? My red dot works best if we can do a ton of chopping to get the first few buildings done ASAP.

Are there any tiles developed on the page 5 ones? If not, let us skip those for now. We might need rails in former USA, but at least we have enough tiles to with food to get them growing quickly.

Blue and white dot are to close. We have time to let former USA cities expand to the third border level. With a smaller core we need to be stingy with how many settlers we build, so I don't want blue in the current slot. Every settle built is less troops built. We have a balancing act, and right now I want cities planned to join with third expansion at the minimum.

I can't tell for sure, but red dot looks to close to our existing cities.

My main concern is how fast can the city grow. Size more then anything will make it useful. Something in former USA with lots of irrigated tiles is what I am looking for.

We have ALL THE FREE WORKERS! I started roading+railing+irrigating the light blue + gray dots in the Page 5 (1240 AD) screenshot because I didn't have anything better to do with the Workers. We can settle the Page 5 ones whenever it's convenient after we can build Moto Settlers.

We could skip White Dot, I suppose; there are other coastal spots. I just liked that spot because it has fewer water tiles than most of our other coastal candidates. TBH, I don't care about spacing cities to optimize for territory gained from culture; once we triple our number of cities, it will basically be free to settle the gaps.

Red dot in the 1802 screenie is spaced from Yax the way Blue and White dot are spaced...so the same argument applies there.

With all this in mind, I'm inclined to settle Blue Dot in the 1802 screenshot; it has the food for VERY fast growth. I'll wait a bit before I do that; I'd like to give the rest of the team to weigh in.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
once we triple our number of cities, it will basically be free to settle the gaps.
AND they are up to speed to the point of having decent shields. They aren't worth much as size one...

True, but that will take less than 20 turns per city -- we can irrigate for fast growth and even join Workers to kickstart their development. In 30-40 turns we'll have tripled our core and have more Settlers than we know what to do with.

Are we going for Domination or Conquest in this game?

* Another thought...we should start building up our navy now and get a toehold on the Egyptian continent ASAP...once we're established there, it'll be easy to do rapid conquest, but we really don't want a 10 turn pause in momentum once we've cleared our continent.

join Workers to kick start their development.
This is CCM - no worker merges possible except for the auto-generated ones. A lot of those are gone already as I know I merged plenty of them on my turn to get our newest cities moving up.

Strange; the standard Workers have the "Join City" button enabled.

Edit: Oh, I see. They can join cities but don't actually boost population.

Last edited:
Strange; the standard Workers have the "Join City" button enabled.
Yes, but check the pop count afterwards. It doesn't change. I know, because I screwed up like that before.

I like Elephantium's "Blue Dot" city spot. I do not like the White Dot. I do not think we need any coastal cities in the former USA. However, we will probably end up building a few coastal cities to cover empty tiles (e.g. the space between Blue Dot and the coast).

Former Canada several good spots for cities.

Question: Do we use the city Governor's suggestions for what to build in new cities?
I would suggest (1) Rush National Symbol; (2) Rush Stonehead; (3) Rush Hospital;

Here is a dot map I did (Yellow 1 = Elephantuin's Blue Dot).

I do not think we need any coastal cities in the former USA.
IMO we need at least a couple of decent cities along the blue dot side doing nothing but ships. IIRC we have a couple in the core on the Egypt side. However, they are strong enough to put out 80 shield units. I have no issues waiting two or three turns for ships on the Egypt side. We just need to start building up for the future invasion with lots of transports, and some ship guards. Without counting the distance between sides, I can't say the exact number.

Yellow is good with converting that wheat to irrigated with rails. I like it better 1 tile NE. It still gets the wheat, but spreads the cities a bit further apart. Blue 1 will be decent ship builder once we can mine some of those tiles.

It's harder to see in the screenshots, but 1NE for yellow loses 2-3 flood plain squares. Either way, the key question for right now is: Yellow dot vs. LK's forest dot. I'm in favor of settling both sites, but I'm on the fence about which one to build first.

With respect to building a Navy.
What size Army will we be using to invade Egypt? (Shortest distance to Egypt is 10 dark blue tiles and 2 coastal tiles).
Currently we can build Steamers (40 shields), each of which can transport 8 units. Also, we can build Advanced Ironclads (140 shields) for protection.

Steamers have 6 movement but, move slow in coastal water. This means that the best we could do is load troops on a Steamer sitting in Coastal water, set sail and end the second turn of sailing touching Egypt's coast letting our Troops unload.

Given the above, it might be better to move "Blue 1" a tile NE.

Also, we have Lazapa (produces about 100 shields) to furnish ships to Blue 1. It will take 7-8 turns for a Steamer built in our city of Lazapa to sail to Blue 1, or 8-9 turns for an Advanced Ironclad.

I am going to do a dot map showing level 3 boundaries and spreading cities up to 8 tiles between city centers.

It's harder to see in the screenshots, but 1NE for yellow loses 2-3 flood plain squares. Either way, the key question for right now is: Yellow dot vs. LK's forest dot. I'm in favor of settling both sites, but I'm on the fence about which one to build first.
I would say go with LK's Forest Dot. Right now we know we have the workers to chop the forests and improve the land. If we postpone building on the Forest Dot, till we can build settlers, other new cities will also need workers.

ok, done. I have my misgivings -- the Yellow Dot is a stronger site because it'll grow faster -- but at the same time that means that it'll take less time to catch up when we settle it later.

Pre-turn:

YIKES there are a lot of unmoved units. I wasn't quite expecting this many, despite the warning of unmoved worker teams.

IBT:

We lose a slaver to a US elephant in Old Canada

1800 AD:

Schneider75 retreats
Ironclad sinks USA ship
Famous Pirate sinks Austro-Hungarian ship
Cressy Class sinks Viking Paddle Wheeler
Adv Ironclad sinks Viking Frigate

IBT:

lots of troop moves, no action...

1801 AD:

Adv Ironclad sinks US Galleass

We lose two Cavs taking San Francisco; somehow we get *no* Workers out of it :(

At Washington, we attack with 4 Heavy Artillery. They go 1/1 with two retreats.

Unbelievable. We lose an Advanced Ironclad to a Viking Frigate :wallbash:

We kill various stray US units in our territory.

IBT:

US kills one of our patrolling Infantry with a Bombard (retreats) and a Treb
Scandinavia offers us straight up peace. They have nothing we want, so no.

AH lands a stack next to Clive Hill.
Inca also lands a Cav near Clive hill.

1802 AD:

At Washington, we take out 2 Musketeers with Heavy Artillery, lose a Schneider75, and finish off the city with two Cav attacks. This time we get 9 Workers.

We kill the invaders near Clive hill, promoting a Reg to Vet Infantry and netting us three new Slaves :D

We lose one Marine Inf clearing some US invaders from the area near Yax and a couple of other units clearing stray units in the American areas.

Despite my misgivings, I build Tulum at LK's red dot.

IBT:

Aztecs want us to pay 379 gpt for MPP + ROP :lol:

USA kills a stray Cav of ours
USA loses a Musket on our Hussar

Inca offers us straight peace. Just ... why?

1803 AD:

We kill a stray US Galleass and an Inca Frigate + Galleon.
Cannon retreats; Schneider75 kills Arque;

Pula: Lose a Marine Inf but raze the city. No Workers.
Chicago: City falls with no losses! 7 Workers.

IBT:

No losses.

1804 AD:

Philadelphia yields 7 more Workers
Toronto takes a lot of attacks to fall (and it has a lot of troops near it), but it

I kill a lot of stray units and set up some additional attacks.

IBT:

US loses LB to a wounded Inf in the open
US loses Arque to Cav in the open (ruins of Toronto)
Vikings bombard our Adv Ironclad, unsuccessfully.

1805 AD:

Atlanta yields 6 slaves for the loss of one Cav.
At Mississauga, we lose 1 Cav and gain 2 slaves.
Houston costs 1 Cav for 6 Workers.
Another city falls, costing 1 Cav for 2 workers. Ugh, I thought it was Thunder Bay, but it was the ruins east of Thunder Bay :(

Attachments

• LK155-1805 AD.SAV
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
I looks like America continues to disappear. NP should be able to wipe the rest, and be able to start settling new cities by the end of his set.

ROSTER:

LKendter (on deck)
Greebley
Jersey Joe
Elephantium
Northern Pike (up)

I still have family visiting, so this won't be a quick turnaround, but I've got it.

I am working on getting Civ3 up to speed on the new PC. I can't find my CCM install. Can someone point me where to find it.

I am not ready yet to take over when NP puts his save up.

Top Bottom