LK155 - CCM, Maya

Happiness is going to be much harder in this game than the previous ones. The reason is that we have to raze the other religions and so have much fewer options. I think we are going to need to run much higher lux rate due to this variant.

OTOH, I think we only wanted one tech past submarines. When we turn off Science we will be able to have high lux without trouble.
Actually, I ran all but my last turn at 20% Happiness. It just took a great deal of time to micro manage the clowns (or add a MP for a turn) to keep everyone happy. For my last turn I was able to reduce Tech slider with out changing the finish time for Submarines so I ran 30% to avoid the micro management.

Also, the extra unhappiness from drafting should wear off within the next few turns which will help.

How to you set a gathering point? Can you have multiple gathering points (eg Hotchkiss gather at 1 spot and mobile settlers gather at another)?
Right-click menu on the main map-screen: "Set (Continental) rally point". The first option only applies to units built out of a single city (you have to right-click on the city itself), the Continental option applies to all cities on that continent.

If you always want your units to go to the same place, in theory it saves having to move each newly-built unit individually, but like just about all the unit-automation in Civ3 it's not really helpful, firstly because it only applies to new-built units after the rally-point(s) has been set (units already in transit aren't affected), and secondly, for a fast-moving war-front, you'd have to set a new rally point(s) every other turn, which kind of defeats the object (and thirdly, a Continental rally point will also attract newly-built Workers, Settlers and -- if it's a coastal city -- ships)...

I'm still working on it.

Mini-report:

I'm 7 turns in. China is dead, and Turkey backstabbed us. We're also at war with Egypt, which is convenient; I'm 2 turns away from landing troops and 3 turns away from having the ship-chain set up.

I'm hoping to have my set wrapped up in the next couple of days.

Pre-Turn:

First, I move some troops to keep up defenses at the isthmus.
Then I notice that we can take Carchemish this turn, using only the "leftover" troops :D
Found the tactical city of tmp
First hotchkiss wipes out the garrison
Second and third soften up the defenders
Fourth hotchkiss overruns the city.

IBT:

Korean ships bombard (and fail) one of our Adv Ironclads in their waters.
Portugal attacks some of our guys near the Babylonian front. No losses.
China wants peace. Tell us another one, guys!

T1 -

WTF WTF WTF! A bunch of Zeppelins are on auto-bombard, and one blows up one of the roads in *our* territory! For shame! :nono:

We lose an Adv Ironclad to an Incan Adv Ironclad near Budapest.
Tsingtao: I set up a Garrison for the attack; we lose the first Hotchkiss but raze the city with the next two.
We get a Leader from an ePriest cleaing up some stray units; it rushes Electric Power in Tikal.
Shuruppak: We have two retreats before the city falls.
Uruk: Both sides have Garrison support, but we still only lose 1 Hotchkiss (and that to an invisible unit!) before the city falls.
We get a second Leader setting up for the next assault. It rushes Heavy Industry in New Uxmal.
Nippur: We lose 1 Hotchkiss to burn the city. We also take a Settler nearby.
Sippar: One retreat, one loss.
Assur: We lose two Hotchkisses, but the city burns. 8 Workers!
We get ANOTHER Leader cleaning up some stray units. This one rushes Light Industry in Blasted Desert.
Next up, we kill a stray Chinese unit near Canton and get a FOURTH leader in 1 round! We also seize a goods shipment :D

IBT:

Carthage tells us to leave their territory. we say we will. The reply: "If you're feeling froggy...leap! I dare you!" :lol:

Portugal overruns an entire stack of our units, including some Workers, near Babylon 5. :mad: I really need more Infantry for defense :(

More so: China overruns a Garrison stack near Canton. We lose a dozen Workers :cry:
Turkey boots us.

T2 -

Beijing is a grind, requiring nearly 20 units (with 4 losses) to batter down the defenses. We get 5 Workers from it.
Shanghai is also a grind, costing 6 Hotchkisses in the assault.
Canton: Depressingly, we lose another 7 units taking the city. That's WITH garrison support :wallbash:
At Nanking we only lose 1 unit :D
Next: Tatung. City burns. China still exists. Houseboat bug. Sigh. Reload...

Kirkuk: Quick battle, no losses.
This gets us to the shore of the inland sea.

Ninevah: We run short on attackers, and we have to dip in to Cavs and even Lawyers to burn the city (and Worldreligion Islam with it).

Cleaning up a few stray units, we get a Leader (and another Monk :D) from a Priest. He rushes National Sub Pen.

I do a big round of MM, slowing growth in marginal cities in favor of geeks.

IBT:

Babylon kills a few of our Hotchkisses in the open.
Portugal kills one of our Hotchkisses, too.
Famous Pirate attacks someone near Carthage's city on our continent!

T3 -

Guimaraes: We lose 4 Hotchkisses before we kill the first defender, but we eventually burn the city. No Workers from it :(
Salzburg: We lose 6-7 units (couldn't kill their garrison first). 12 Workers!

I set up for another attack next turn...

IBT:

Germany and Japan sign MPP!
Japan declares war on Germany! :eek:
Austria-Hungary wants peace...and some of our Workers. LOL!
We lose another 8 or so exposed Hotchkisses to various attacks. We just don't have Infantry enough to cover all the attacks we made, sigh.

Turks get caught stealing tech.

T4 -

Oporto: Lots of Hotchkisses retreat, and we lose two Infs before we burn the city. 9 Workers.
Babylon: Tough nut to crack. We kill its supporting garrison but still have to attack across a river. We lose about 8 Hotchkisses, use ALL OF OUR HOTCHKISSES in the attack, and STILL need to scrape up another 6 attackers to kill the last defender. Whew!

(we did have to go through about 10 Hussars on top of the Infantry)

The loot is nice, though...

IBT:

It's a pretty quiet turn; we only lose a couple of stray Hotchkisses. I was able to cover most of them with Infs.
Egypt demands Oil. I reject, and Cleo declares on us!

T5 -

Sagres: We do lose two units, but the battle goes quickly. Ugh, we get no Workers from it :(
Lisbon: Across a river, we lose 3 Hotchkisses in a surprisingly easy battle overall (the last loss was against a redlined hero Inf, though :salute:)

Ellippi: Only one loss! And that with enemy Garrison support still in place :D
Akkad falls pretty easily as well - and gives us a Worker besides.
Usti nad Labem falls with one loss on our part.
We can finally wipe out Tatung; China built another city.
I try for their new capital, Yangchow...

IBT:

Carthage is bombing us! WTF? Oh, it's our Famous Pirate.
Greece lands a force near New Chichen Itza.
Babs kill a stray Inf of ours
Incas start bombing our Infs near the front line
They kill a couple of stray Infs guarding attackers from last turn.

Turkey backstabs us! They lose three horse units to our Infantry and kill two Inf units near their lines. They also burn one of our temp cities and steal 48 gold :mad:

T6 -

Samarra: Three losses to burn the city. Not bad, considering we couldn't reach the Garrison.

We get a leader while cleaning up a stack of Turkish invaders, who rushes Heavy Industry in Cozumel.
We trigger an MPP; Aztecs declare war because of the Turks. No more Wines :(

I make a new deal with Italy for Wines.

IBT:

Turks hit us near the Portuguese front; we lose a few Infantry and a Garrison spot.
Greece builds a city where they landed. :(

T7 -

Ugh, I just started moving troops, and Civ ended the turn while I was trying to mine a tile (replacing irrigation). I kill Civ and reload from the autosave...

I spend about half our Hotchkisses on pushing back the invading horde of Turks.

With our front secure for the turn, I burn Anyang and Macao with light losses.
Sanlirfa costs a couple of units, but it also burns.

We get a Leader cleaning up a few more stray Turks with artillery units.

IBT:

Some bombardments. We lose about half a dozen exposed units to various counterattacks, mostly Turkish.

T8 (Turn 330) -

I only have two Motorized Settlers left this turn, so I mostly focus on clearing out hordes of troops roaming the countryside. Doing that, I get two Leaders! They rush one light and one heavy Industry along the southern coast, in old USA.

One Settler goes on the ship to give us a toehold on Egypt's continent. The other opens the way to...

Graz: Falls EASILY, we only lose one Hotchkiss.
Vienna: Also falls easily. I don't think we lost *any* units to their Late Pikemen defenders :D
Gyor (new town founded last turn) also falls without any losses.

IBT:

Egypt bombs our Dreadnought near their shores for 2hp; we shoot down at least four Zeppelins and take light damage.
Austria-Hungary loses a Longbow to our Infantry in the open
Mongols try to bomb us, to no effect
Incas bomb us, pinging one of our Infantry
They follow that up with a Cav attack, killing the Inf.
Turkey bombs our Zeppelin city and a railroad tile
They kill three Infs and two Hotchkisses in the open, destroying two Garrison sites
They lose a Sipahi to the Inf defender of one of our newer cities

T9 -

I create Tip of the Pyramid, our first city on the Egyptian continent :D

Back in Turkey...

Sinop: We lose four Hotchkisses before we breach the city walls.
Ankara: We "only" lose three units here.
Srinagar: One loss.
Mugla: One loss.
Konya: Five losses :eek:
Denizli: One loss!
Izmit: Crumples like a wet paper bag. Two Hotchkisses attacked, two Hotchkisses won.

IBT:

Arabs want us to pay for peace! LOL!
Babylon comes out of the fog and captures a stack of Workers.
Portugal forces a Hotchkiss to retreat and kills three Workers beneath it.
Japan signs MPP with Austria-Hungary
Turkey kills numerous units that I was obliged to leave in the open, about half a dozen Hotchkisses and even a full stack of 4-5 Infantry covering some attackers. I just didn't have enough troops for that stack :(

Great War Experience > Radio

... Poland declares war on us due to MPP with Egypt :huh:
I'm not sure why this triggered just now.

T10 -

First, go after Turkey's weak eastern flank:
Tactical city, imaginitively named "tmp25" is created, and a Garrison is added.
Iznik's Garrison is reduced.
Iznik itself costs us 3 Hotchkisses.
Bursa's Garrison is out of reach...we take 3 losses before we break the walls. Goodbye, Wall Street!

Ur only costs 2 Hotchkisses...
Uskadar costs 3.
Adana only costs 1, and we're nearly out of Hotchkisses this turn. I spend the remainder cleaning up stray enemy units that might pose a threat to our cities. Japan declares war on us in this process due to MPP with Austria-Hungary.

Here's Old China:

Top Bottom