1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

LK155 - CCM, Maya

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Elephantium

Elephantium Peanuts for everyone!

What's left of Western Turkey:

Former Portuguese territory:

2. Elephantium

Austro-Hungarian front:

3. Elephantium

Finally, the Egyptian toehold. We have a ship-chain set up using our Steamers. It needs 6: One in Tazumal, two each in the two mid-sea areas, and one in Tip of the Pyramid. We actually have 7 ships, but two are damaged. I was thinking that we could use the extra one to kickstart the upgrades to Freighters (Transport capacity 12). We'll want more ships there as soon as we can manage; I tried to build up our cities in Old America, but development isn't yet complete.

4. Elephantium

I've been slowly building the air force; we have 4 Bombers and 4 more due next turn. I've also started building Fighters for air cover since we've taken some bombardments.

12 Zeppelins, 8 Bombers, and a smattering of Fighters for air cover is probably plenty.

Beware, Animate Battles is turned off. The turns are taking a VERY long time now, so every little bit helped.

For development, I focused the "up and coming" cities on growth while building production buildings. Quite a few cities will need mass Worker jobs to replace irrigation with mines once they're size 20 or 21. That should double our troop production capacity.

5. LKendter

LKendter Chieftain

LKendter (got it?)
    Greebley
    Jersey Joe
    Elephantium (up)
    Northern Pike (skip Feb 14 to Mar 12) (on deck)
    Not the best time for me. NP are you back early? I won't start playing for a couple of days.

6. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Steadholder Supporter

Elephantium, I am sorry about that, :blush: I miss-clicked several zeppelins but was not about to replay the turn to fix it. I thought I found all of them. :sad:

Looks like you broke the back of Babylon :thumbsup:.

Did you draft troops? If not, I wonder why we still see unhappiness from the war (your turns plus my turns means it has been more than 20 turns since Greebley drafted troops should not that unhappiness be gone?)
    I thought being in Fascism prevented war weariness.

7. Elephantium

Yeah, I drafted some troops. We're constantly grinding through Hotchkisses, but we need a lot of Infantry, too.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  8. Greebley

Greebley Chieftain Supporter

Some good progress.

I think we can turn off science. Radio would cost us 25% production in cities and I don't think it gets us enough to make up for it.

Drafting when city sizes hit max always seems a good idea to me and we can now likely afford a higher lux (if needed) if we don't run science.

9. Elephantium

Counterpoint: most cities with Steam Engines don't need the extra 25% to build 1-turn hotchkisses, and past Radio are some useful techs, imo.

10. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Lurker:

Busy set Phant man, gj.

11. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Chieftain

Yes, great work, Tusker. :goodjob:

LK, I can start playing now, or wait for you if you've begun a round. Just let me know.

12. LKendter

LKendter Chieftain

I didn't start yet. Today was my first possible day, so feel to take in NP.

Based on Tusker's report please get a round or two of all infantry. I didn't like seeing not enough defenders several times.

13. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Chieftain

It prevents the civ-wide WW that results from casualties, lost cities, etc. It doesn`t help with city-specific unhappiness resulting from drafting in that town; they`re separate factors.

14. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Chieftain

Great, I`ve got it then.

15. Elephantium

Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen :D

Ya, we lost a dozen Hotchkisses or so because of that. OTOH, I ran short on Hotchkisses sooner than Infantry, for most of my turns. It's a delicate balance. Settlers are easy to rush in any random town, so I'm less worried about them.

Overall, I averaged four enemy cities burned per turn. Once all our cities north of the choke-point are production-ready, we'll easily double our troop production. With that in mind, I'm expecting my next turnset to be fought entirely on the other continent...if I get another turnset!

16. Greebley

Greebley Chieftain Supporter

I am not sure our outpost on the other continent is going to survive. We are weak compared to Egypt. If we want to keep it we may need a lot of Infantry on those mountain squares and fortress types and/or peace with Egypt which isn't currently an option.

Techwise, learning where Aluminum is might be useful (first tech past radio). It might give more opportunity with an aluminum mine if we got lucky. Only other benefit seems to be to update schneider which we have 5. So not sure if it worth it. Guess NP can decide.

We are still weak vs Carthage as well. I don't think I would want to attack them yet.

17. Elephantium

Our outpost by Egypt will survive indefinitely-there is no road from their side up into the mountains. They're not attacking until we push past the mountains.

That being said, we will want at least a dozen Infantry fortified on that mountain before we advance.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  18. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Chieftain

Family matters cost me a few days of play, but we're making progress now. We've eliminated three civs, only picking on a weakling in one case. ;) At a minimum I have to tidy up the present turn after the combat, which means a long session in itself, and I'd like to fit in one more turn after that. In any case I'll post in time for LK to play on Saturday.

19. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Steadholder Supporter

:salute: Three civs eliminated. :woohoo:
    :think: Could the 2 strong ones be Babylon and the Turks? :high5:
    And the weak one is ... :ar15: Austria Hungray :D

20. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Chieftain

Two for three on your guesses, not bad. ;)