LK155 - CCM, Maya

We seize and raze Lagash, defended by two riflemen, for the loss of a Hotchkiss (187-47). We gain a worker.

We now turn to the Szczecin-Krakow-Gniezno-Warsaw crescent of Polish cities, taken in that order so that we can neutralize their garrisons as easily as possible. We already have access to Szczecin through Arthur Jermyn.

We destroy Szczecin’s garrison, manned by a musketeer, but lose a Hotchkiss (188-48).

We capture and raze Szczecin, garrisoned by two riflemen, at the cost of a Hotchkiss. We destroy three Zeppelins on the ground and claim three workers (193-49).

We found Juan Romero, bringing us within range of the Polish capital of Krakow.

We remove Krakow’s garrison, held by a musketeer (194-49).

The battle for Krakow is bloody, but we take and raze the city from the seven riflemen holding it at the cost of five Hotchkisses (201-54). We claim nine workers and destroy Sacred Music.

Last edited:
We found Pickman’s Model, giving us access to Gniezno.

We wreck Gniezno’s garrison, manned by a musketman (202-54).

We storm and raze Gniezno in another bitter struggle, losing four Hotchkisses to overcome its four defending riflemen (206-58). We gain a Great Artist and five workers, and destroy the Vatican.

Our attacking forces are almost spent, but we’ll try to take Warsaw to round off our position.

We found House in the Mist, bringing us close to Warsaw. Warsaw shared Gniezno’s garrison, which we’ve already removed.

We capture and raze Warsaw, garrisoned by three riflemen, at the cost of a Hotchkiss. We wreck three Zeppelins on the ground and claim six workers (212-59).

We found and culture-bomb Outsider and Moon-Bog, improving our position for next turn’s operations in Poland.

We crush an Austrian settlement force of a late pikeman, a longbowman, and a settler impudently landed near Yaxchilan on our south coast, thus capturing a worker (214-59).

The Persians have also landed a settlement force on our south coast, and since we’re at peace with them we forestall them by founding Hypnos next to their stack.

We found and culture-bomb White Ship, filling a fairly large gap in what was Poland.

Cleaning up the position, we bastinado four Polish rifles, two Polish cav, two Polish musketeers, a Polish Winged Hussar, a Polish musketman, a Polish heavy artillery, a Polish 75, four Inca cav, an Austrian longbowman, and a Japanese 1900 inf. We lose an Eastern inf and a 1900 inf (232-61). We gain our eighth Great Leader, who rushes electric power in Glow in the Dark Cows; three Great Artists; and five Polish workers.

Two priest victories this round generated no monks.

Fifteen lawyer victories this round produced five Great Artists.

Eighty-six elite victories this round, one defensive, yielded eight Great Leaders.

The Future

Our obvious next step is to raze the five remaining Polish core cities. As long as we take Opole before Poznan, we should be able to remove their garrisons in all cases, while building our own garrisons on the territory of newly founded tactical towns.

After that we can either launch a full-scale campaign against the Incas or, if we want to be more subtle, just raze the three coastal Inca cities that would bring us to Japan, and take the war to the Japanese. The latter course would have the advantage of letting us eliminate the Poles, and any remaining nuisance units of theirs, earlier.

We can eliminate Austria-Hungary, which has just four cities held by pikemen, whenever we feel we can spare the necessary assets from more serious campaigns. The Mongols have a city, Modena, that doesn’t show up on “Locate City”, so I assume it’s distant and in fog.

I haven’t attempted to expand out of our beachhead on the other continent in Egypt. The beachhead doesn’t contain a resource to let us use the resource-Wonder trick to establish a supply line, so we might want to use it as the base for another amphibious hop to Abydos, which does have a resource. Otherwise we’ll have to fight our way across the eleven tiles from the beachhead to Abydos without rails—not that that’s impossible.

We don’t have enough infantry to cover all our railing stacks, but even if we lose an occasional stack to an invisible unit, that hardly matters now in win/lose terms. My impression is that there aren’t many invisible enemy units around anyway.

There are about thirty-four slow Polish units roaming around the lands we’re recently captured. They’re no threat, and my preference would be just to contain them (building fortifications as necessary) until we finish off Poland and they come off the map, rather than wasting attacks on them. But if the next player prefers to eliminate them directly, that’s fine too.

Our specialized or healing units are in and around the capital and in the nearby cities, except for some artillery in Mountains of Madness.

Realistically, we aren’t likely to replace most of our Unit Cost or Stepping Stone or Tmp cities, since they occupy corrupt territory well enough. So we’ve built or are building National Symbol and Stonehead in many of these.

We still need plenty of gold for rushes, so we’ve been constructing marketplaces and banks in cities where they’re quick builds.

We’ve built barracks in some completely corrupt towns so that we can rush Hotchkisses there, when we can afford it and we don’t need settlers more.

Since we’ve turned off research and expect to win without Radio, we’re building steam engines in some places.

The Egyptians don't have any meaningful wealth. But the Carthaginians are still strong relative to us, and I don't think it will ever be worth fighting that war from an effort/reward standpoint, assuming we intend to win by domination.

At the moment we're producing 23 Hotchkisses each turn, and we're still developing about fifteen cities that will be capable of one-turn production soon, making 38 Hotchkisses per turn plus whatever we're able to rush. So it would be nice to have Carthage's gold for rushes, but we don't need it to win.

Last edited:
I hope the forum hasn't starting having issues with sending update notices. I only checked because NP made a done by Saturday comment.

Glad to see my favorite notice of dead civ again. :)

LKendter (up, and got it)
Greebley (on deck)
Jersey Joe
Elephantium
Northern Pike

What is the shortcut for build garrison? For some reason I don't have the option to build garrisons even with advanced unit actions menu up.

ctrl-T, I think
That did the trick.

I am going to work hard on operation back-fill. There is a ton of open spaces to fill up. It is easier to settle the area, then to fight for it.

How far apart are you spreading cities? I was trying to designate "permanent settlements" by anticipating 2-3 culture expansions...that gives a really spread-out city grid.

I am going to work hard on operation back-fill. There is a ton of open spaces to fill up. It is easier to settle the area, then to fight for it.

Yes, we definitely need to do that. :goodjob:

That big block of Tundra now filled up.

1857 AD (0)
I change the staging zone to Woodville. It is still too far from the front, but a lot better than the capitol.

Mountain of Madness will have to be cleared. Some of the Polish cities are way too far away.

We really need more settlers. There are still a bunch of open spots near desert, in tundra, etc. to claim. It is easier to grab more tiles via a settler, then to fight.
Desert View, Desert View 2, Oasis Hill are founded.

We only own 30% of the known territory. We still need to double the amount of territory we own.
At this point, I am going to try to take care of more on our land mass.

There is no question we will need to expand our beachhead by Egypt soon. Sadly, we only have one city on that coast up to ship building.
(IT) Carthage has an absurd amount of planes. I lost count of how many were flying around.

We kill 3 Inca infantry, and 1 unknown infantry. (4-0)

I don't know what tripped it, but we are now at war with Persia due to a MPP with Inca.

Top Bottom