1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK159 - CCM 2.4, Egypt

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Jun 24, 2018.

1. LKendter

LKendter Chieftain Supporter

1814 AD (1)
    Resistors have dropped from 191 to 71. I almost got all of Israel under control.
    [End of session 2]

I continue the mass shuffle to the new continent.
    I found where Indo-China is. They are pretty much meaningless. They are on an isolated island.

We burn Tsingtao to the ground gaining 3,468 gold and 11 workers.
    We burn Kaifeng on the other continent gaining 2,470 gold and 4 workers.
    I have to build a rail connection to the city. We burn Macao to the ground gaining 4,322 gold and 11 workers.
    Silly Leader Hotchkiss arrived during the fighting. The leader airlifts to the other continent to build an airport in our landing zone city.

There is nothing on our mainland needing a culture bomb. I wake up our monks, and start to ship them to the other continent.

Accident, Alabama New York, Alert, Almond, Alone, American Cove, Apocalypse Peaks, and Archery are founded. There may be a few more stray spots, but I ran out of units to rail to the new cites.
    [End of session 3]
    I decide to airlift our lawyers, and mullahs to the new land. That is where almost all the action will be.

I've made a strategic decision to not bother hunting down the settlers of the Dutch and Germany. If any of their cities revolt, I will simply raze them.

We kill:
    China: 1 ship, 4 rifles, and 2 infantry. (9-1)
    We lose: 2 Hotchkiss. (9-3)
    (IT) South Africa wants us to pay them $517/T for a MPP. :crazyeye: :crazyeye:

2. LKendter

1815 AD (2)
    [End of session 4]
    The leader rushes an airport in our only overseas city.
    We raze Chinan for $6,063 and 5 workers.
    [End of session 5]

I continue to shuffle stuff to the new land mass. We have room for several cities before any war starts. I want to get our base established first. I'm still waiting for more work crews to arrive. I know there are several blocks of steamers with workers aboard.

We kill:
    China: 4 infantry and 1 predreadnought. (14-3)
    We lost: 1 tank. (15-3)
    (IT) We get auto-booted by Brazil.
    South Africa and India sign a peace treaty.
    Antwerp flips back to the Dutch.
    The movement of Polish troops makes we think they will attack us next turn.

3. LKendter

Still plugging away. I just wanted to clear out some of my notes, and post them.

4. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Steadholder Supporter

I like this strategy. :thumbsup:
    What about reducing the amount of spending on research and using the cash to rush culture buildings, in the new cities we are founding, to get to 100 culture quicker?
    Academy, Colosseum, and Library each add 2 culture per turn.

5. LKendter

We have a bunch of artist and monks heading to the new world. Plus the new world is already generating more. :)

6. LKendter

I am really liking tanks with 3 attacks. :)

7. LKendter

1816 AD (3)
    Add China to the list of trouble civs. The attempt to raze New Canton left them alive. The have a settler out there somewhere.
    With killing the German ship, I decide to try my luck vs Germany. We capture Augsburg. The Germans are toasted. :dance: :dance:
    We raze Antwerp gaining $38 and 9 workers.

Asbestos and Athol are formed. That claims the last spots I can find on our main land mass of significance.

We kill:
    China: 1 predreadnought. (16-3)
    Austria: 1 galleon. (17-3)
    Germany: 2 rifles, and 1 steamer. (20-3)
    Dutch: 1 rifle. (21-3)
    (IT) The Polish troop movement this turn makes it clear we are the target.
    Research on totalitarianism completes. We are at a no choice part of the tech tree. Research on radio begins.
    Hoover dam is completed.

Just clearing out a bit more of the log. Slowly plugging away. Fighting getting a lot more intense now.

8. LKendter

1817 AD (4)
    I decide to start fortifying all workers and steamrollers. At this point nothing on our starting continent matters. As I can, I will ship them to the new land. We can't build rails fast enough over there.
    We demand Poland remove their troops. The next war has begun.
    [End of session 6]
    There are now some steamers heading home to pick up the next load.
    Avenue Road and Bachelor's Cove are founded. We begin to expand our holdings on the new land mass.
    We gain 3 artists, and 1 monk wiping out the Polish stack. Avenue Road and Bachelor's Cove get rushed borders.
    Poland Killing Hotchkiss arrives during the battle. I rush Battlefield Medicine. I don't know how much value it will have at this point. However, nothing really makes sense to rush on the new landmass.
    I add a few more airfields to our airfield zone.

We kill:
    China: 1 predreadnought. (22-3)
    Polish: 9 Dragoons, and 4 Hussars. (36-3)
    (IT) The Dutch want to talk. :rotfl:
    South Africa declares war on India. :)

Just clearing out a bit more of the log. Slowly plugging away. War situation getting ugly.

9. LKendter

LKendter (currently playing)
    Jersey Joe - what is you play availability 12/6 to 12/9? I won't be able to play then. I'm trying to figure out if I wrap my current turn and post. If bad for you, I will try and complete my final ten.
    Elephantium
    Greebley
    TheRat

10. Jersey Joe

I am available for the rest of the year. Whenever you want to pass it on is fine by me.

11. LKendter

1818 AD (5)
    I decide to start picking on the junk stacks from South Africa with our partisans. South Africa is our next target with being still in the last age.
    We've hit the dreaded to many cities. Bacon Level is founded.
    Amazing Lawyer arrives during the fighting. They rush a barracks in Bacon Level. More barracks gives us the option to rush troops on the new world.
    Another Leader Vickers Mark E arrives. They rush a barracks in Avenue road.
    Another artist and monk arrive.
    Poland is so far away from the landing zone that they are a waste of time fighting.
    There are a ton of tanks left. A lot of Hotchkiss just upgraded to Harley scouts this round. I decide to turn South Africa into a full blown war.
    We gained 7 partisans.

We kill
    South Africa: 1 warrior, 8 fire lancer, 2 grenadiers, 3 knights, 3 cuirassier, 7 muskets, 15 crossbows, 5 elephants and 12 pikes. (92-3)
    Polish: 4 camel musketeers, 23 hussars and 13 dragoons. (132-3)
    We lost: 1 tank, 2 partisans, and 2 artillery pieces. (132-8)
    (IT) It just got ugly. Britain declared war on us. We have been hit by a stumble into sub bug. They have annoying ships along our shuttle between the land masses.
    I don't want to talk to China.
    We lost 4 ships, killing 2 British ships. (134-12)
    We lost 1 exposed tank. (134-13)

12. LKendter

1819 AD (6)
    I really appreciate lethal ship bombard. All of the planes are starting to clean out ships around Edfu.
    [End of session 6]

ChainGang1 is abandoned. That lets ThrowAway1 be founded. We still can't hit Reading.
    ChainGang2 is abandoned. That lets ThrowAway2 be founded. We accidently capture Reading for $237. It is immediately abandoned.
    ThrowAway1 and ThrowAway2 are abandoned. BeaverLick is founded. Our transport path between land masses just got a big shorter.

This is getting ridiculous. Going after Reading trips an MPP and we are now at war with Korea.

Prawn Shack is abandoned. ThrowAway3 is founded. We use it to raze Bapedi gaining 2 workers.
    Take Halifax is abandoned. Belchertown is founded. It gets an instant culture bomb. ThrowAway3 is abandoned.
    We razed Hlobane gaining 2 workers.

We pick up 1 monk. We captured 3 South Africa workers.

I start a second airlift area with a lot of airfields. We can't ship fast enough. Settlers can be airlifted, and we badly need a lot of those to slug through the last civs needed to win. That new block finally got all of our existing settlers over. It even got a handful of infantry over.
    I'm also still rushing ships and transports near BeaverLick to speed up troop arrival. We have a massive backlog of tanks to get over.

We kill British: 1 pike, 1 rifle, 2 Birmingham class, 1 Queen Mary class and 3 King Edward class. (142-13)
    South Africa: 3 musket, 3 pikes, 1 cruissar, 4 fire lancers and 7 Corvettes. (160-13)
    Polish: 1 hussar, 8 Dragoon, 10 camel musketeers, 3 Napoleonic Camels, 2 winged hussar and 4 horse artillery pieces. (188-13)
    Austria: 1 galleon, 2 galleass and 1 Corvettes. (192-13)
    China: 1 predreadnought. (193-13)

We lost: 1 tank. (194-14)
    [End of session 7]

13. LKendter

Summary:
    Most of our cities are building troops or settlers. As stray buildings finish, switch to troops or settlers.

We have hit the city limit. Each new city now requires we disband an old one. Picking the right city is a real pain. We can't abandon ones that contribute to a lot of tile control. Don't disband them until our settler is ready to found a city.

We want all of our steamrollers on the new land mass. However, please keep a chunk of workers home. As we abandon cities to build new ones, we break rail lines.

We have a stack of tanks and steamrollers in the middle of the new land mass. These were the ones that razed 2 China cities. They are slowly working their way to our main forces.

All of our ships are working to the shuttle zone. At this point, it is the only sea area that matters. All the shuttles are returning back. The number priority is more steamrollers. The battle versus South Africa is stalling due to lack of rails.

The Poland war is a waste of time. Please end it so we can concentrate on territory we can conquer.

14. LKendter

Our slowly expanding beachhead:

15. LKendter

ROSTER:
    LKendter
    Jersey Joe (up)
    Elephantium (on deck)
    Greebley
    TheRat

Attached Files:

16. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

In some way it is fascinating to read this report, as it seems, this game has found a new - so not intended - method to restrict the growth of an empire. Such a result was targeted with the oversized corruption in standard Civ 3, but on the other side, the 'endgame' with these managing restrictions sounds not to be fun for everybody in the game, too. It sounds more like managing a big empire, short before its collapse, but without the danger of a real collapse.

How much percent of the landmass is your empire covering now ?

17. LKendter

Up to 54.7%

Combat settlers speed up the conquest of few nations. However, we left them all sitting around. We are now paying the penalty.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  18. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

:yup: and additionally one of the special problems in this game seems to be the huge amount of desert terrain that must be covered with culture without the option to build cities in that terrain - but when I allowed to build cities in the desert, the game set starting locations for civs in the desert (and it was even worse with tundra). It´s a pitty, that it isn´t possible, that outposts (a feature that is not used in Civ 3) can cover terrain with culture in regions where the building of cities is restricted. May be it´s a good idea to avoid lots of desert and tundra terrain in the settings when starting a game.

19. Jersey Joe

I got it.

What number of cities is the limit 255? Smaller? Larger?
    Is it the cumulative number of cities of all nations or is it applied on a nation by nation basis?

20. Jersey Joe

LK, during your last turn, did you attempt to plant any spies and fail or fail any other spy mission?
    I see 1 Dutch town on our continent, I assume that is because of the house boar bug. Are there any other house boat bug civs?