1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK161, Australia, CCM 2.5, 180K goal

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Sep 10, 2019.

1. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

950 AD (0)
    I switch 180 to battle field medicine as a pre-build.
    I will wait a turn or two to see if more civs learn democracy.
    I sell China exploration for $144 and $45/T.
    I sell Mongolia hardwood for $10/T.
    I sell Nubia horses for $52/T.
    I sell Russia gold for $16 and $5/T.
    I sell Persia absolutism for $16 and $100/T.
    I sell Germany gold for $17 and $3/T. They also get tobacco for $10/T.
    I sell Japan Alchemy for $23 and $62/T.
    I sell Indo-China tobacco for $35 and $11/T.
    I sell USA tobacco for $258.
    (IT) We now have to give India $13/T in addition to coffee to get silks.
    We kill a crossbow, but lost a musket. (1-1)

960 AD (1)
    Elite Grenadier kills enslaver. My best guess is French. (2-1)

Wellington is founded. Saltpeter is now inside our borders.

Since we know enlightenment, it is time to sell all the slavery buildings.

We kill Spain: 1 bucket.
    (IT) America starts The Statue of Liberty (there UW).

2. LKendter

970 AD (2)
    We have found the Inca. They are a bit backwards. Sadly, they are broke.
    The Spanish stacks start to arrive at Pamplona. I hope in a few turns to turn to offensive mode.

We kill Greece: 1 chariot. (3-1)
    We kill Spain: 1 pike and 2 crossbows. (6-1)
    We lost: 1 enslaver. (6-2)
    [End of session 1]
    (IT) Lyons lost a defender to something invisible. I thought it sounded like an enslaver, which would be really absurd. (6-3)

980 AD (3)
    We kill something invisible by Lyons. (7-3)

3. LKendter

990 AD (4)
    I can’t figure out what Spanish troops are up to. Our troops move up to the borders to get ready for an offensive.
    I gift France some techs.
    I sell Mongolia free artistry for $156 and $75/T.
    Egypt is either starting a war with us or France. There troops marching near Argos make no sense.
    (IT) We just lost our exclusive on Napoleonic age. India started code civil.

1000 AD (5)
    I give Arabia coal to cover the last turn of Napoleonic age. We need 11 turns for industry. I suspect India and / or Arabia will get it faster. 180K switches to code civil due in 2 turns.

I give Lowlands spices, iron and Napoleonic age for democracy. Hobart switches to constitution due in 6 turns.
    I can’t switch Seoul to capitol. I try several other cities, and don’t get an option to build it. :(
    (IT) I give Arabia a token 100 bucks. That isn’t worth a war.
    Turkey and Indo-China sign a peace treaty.
    A Spanish crossbow was killed. (8-3)

4. LKendter

1010 AD (6)
    Our main attack stack is now next to a Spanish city.

We kill Spain: 1 pike and 1 crossbow. (10-3)
    [End of session 2]
    (IT) We killed a Spanish sword. We lost a musket and an exploring ship. (11-5)
    We complete Code Civil. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

5. LKendter

1020 AD (7)
    Crisis on Infinite Hussar arrives. Pamplona gets a rushed university.
    We gain an artist.
    We capture Zaragoza.
    France is gifted Napoleonic Age.

Now we get the option to build Capitol. Seoul has started it.

We kill Spain: 1 foot knight, 1 MDI, 5 crossbows and 9 pikes. (27-5)
    We lost: 1 light horse. (27-6)
    (IT) We kill Spain: 1 crossbow, 1 foot knight, and 1 enslaver. (30-6)

1030 AD (8)
    [End of session 3]

Santiago is captured.

Anti-Matter Hussar arrives. Santiago gets a rushed university.

We kill Spain: 4 pikes and 2 crossbows. (36-6)

6. LKendter

1040 AD (9)
    We kill Spain: 2 crossbows. (38-7)

Industrialization showed up quickly. I buy the last of it from India for 5,473. There is no good short rush for factory, so I rush it all burning a turn of production in 180K.
    (IT) We kill 3 Spanish crossbows. We lost a precious lawyer. (41-8)
    The lawyer gave an artist before dying.

1050 AD (10)
    We contact Brazil. They get free artistry for $83 and $42/T.

We kill Spain: 1 bucket, 3 pikes and 2 crossbows. (47-8)

[End of session 4]

7. LKendter

Summary:
    I still can’t figure out what Egypt is up to. There troops are still wandering around, and being watched by our balloons.

We still need lots of artists / monks. There is one more heading to 180K. Each is a bit over 1% to victory. I’m annoyed with myself for losing a precious lawyer. I didn’t think it was that exposed.

The troops are ready to take two more Spanish towns.

There is still a lot of planning to do.
    1 - 180K will complete gas holder this turn. Start battlefield medicine next. That is a placeholder for Crystal Palace.
    2 - Once railroad is researched, all workers need to head to 180K. They start by mining all the hills and forest. After that, we start the thin rail-net.
    3 - Crystal Palace should get us explosives and steel. We need to time it right to not get a 1/2 completed tech.
    4 - When explosives arrive, we need to start peeling of some steamrollers. Maybe cash rush a few in food heavy cities.
    5 - Planning for wonders needs to continue, as industrial core, Eiffel Tower and Olympic Games all sound good in 180K.
    6 - Scientific method is the first tech in the industrial ages. The next 2 tech wonder of arms race shows up.
    7 - Next age has great wonders like transcontinental railroad, X-ray machine, Antarctic Expedition,
    8 - Once Spain is dead, we want to start the march toward France. I hope they build there UW by then.

ROSTER:
    LKendter (swapped)
    Jersey Joe (on deck)
    Greebley
    Elephantium (up)
    Don’t build an opera in 180K. We agree not to use the 2X to 4X exploit for monks / artist
    Cultural win progress:

1050 AD: 27,594 / 180,000 15.33%

Attached Files:

8. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Steadholder Supporter

Once again, nice progress.:thumbsup:

180K might be producing 2 many shields to start Battlefield Medicine next turn. Next turn we will be 8 turns away from learning Railroads. (Arabia and India 3 turns?) 180K will be producing around 75 shields per turn (without Engineers) and could finish Battlefield Medicine in 7 turns, with Engineers it might finish it in 6 turns.

Most aggressive approach:
    Based on the Premise that India and Arabia will learn Railroads in 3 turns and Explosives 4 turns later we should aim to complete the Crystal Palace 8 turns from now (after we have traded for both Rails and Explosives). Next turn when the Gas Holder finishes, 180K could produce 86 shields (after corruption and with Engineers). If it is only 84 or 85 shields we hire an extra Engineer and starve the people for 7 turns. We start on Battlefield Medicine and swap to Crystal Palace when we trade for Rails in 4 or 5 turns. As soon as Explosives is learned (in 7 turns) we trade for it. We might even consider dropping the research rate to 0% for the next 8 turns.

If we feel we will not be able to trade for Rails, the only way we can safely take the extra turns we will need to reseach Rails into account is to short rush a Light Horse or 2 before we start building Battlefield Medicine.

9. LKendter

ROSTER:
    LKendter (swapped)
    Jersey Joe (on deck)
    Greebley
    Elephantium (up)
    Don’t build an opera in 180K. We agree not to use the 2X to 4X exploit for monks / artist
    Cultural win progress:

10. LKendter

ROSTER:
    LKendter (swapped)
    Jersey Joe (on deck)
    Greebley
    Elephantium (up, bump #2)
    Cultural win progress:

I'm really hoping Tusker can play now. If not, I would like an official skip.

11. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

I've got it.

12. LKendter

There is still a lot of planning to do.
    1 - 180K will complete gas holder this turn. Start battlefield medicine next. That is a placeholder for Crystal Palace.
    2 - Once railroad is researched, all workers need to head to 180K. They start by mining all the hills and forest. After that, we start the thin rail-net.
    3 - Crystal Palace should get us explosives and steel. We need to time it right to not get a 1/2 completed tech.
    4 - When explosives arrive, we need to start peeling of some steamrollers. Maybe cash rush a few in food heavy cities.
    5 - Planning for wonders needs to continue, as industrial core, Eiffel Tower and Olympic Games all sound good in 180K.
    6 - Scientific method is the first tech in the industrial ages. The next 2 tech wonder of arms race shows up.
    7 - Next age has great wonders like transcontinental railroad, X-ray machine, Antarctic Expedition,
    8 - Once Spain is dead, we want to start the march toward France. I hope they build there UW by then.

13. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I think an initial rush of Steam Rollers in towns that are running at least two scientists (funds permitting including a cash reserve) would really help get the rails going.
    It could even be done with cycle ahead for an extra turn of railing (a (partial) prebuild in some cities would save funds).

It would be useful to verify if the AI gets tech in 4 turns, by checking for RR on the 3nd turn. If so, we can still research explosives with the plan to buy to from the AI (reduce the cost). If seen on the 4 turn, then assume 5 turn tech.

Reason for reduced cost:
    We are still science heavy meaning research reduces cost more than we would earn in gold:
    1) We have more science buildings than commerce.
    2) Scientists get 4 science instead 3 commerce
    3) (I think this is right) AI marks up cost to buy, but work on research lowers cost before mark up.
    Example of principle:
    tech cost is 1000
    AI will charge 2000
    research may get us 500 (half)
    AI will then charge 1000 with mark up.
    In other words science is before mark up cost and commerce is after.

Note: This works because there is a narrow (1) field of tech to research. The advantage of commerce is flexibility and 'buy ahead' with 20 turn gpt.

14. Elephantium

Midturn report: USA is building Crystal Palace!
    France just build Napoleonic Era.
    Spain is on the run.

I'm on T3 of my set.

Looks like USA, Arabia, India all have Railroads.
    USA wants Coffee, Spices, 5660 gold.
    Arabia wants Coffee, Spices, 5300 gold.
    India only wants Spices and 5410 gold.

180k has 132-133 shields in the bin, so ~470 left to build Crystal Palace.
    We can hire some engineers to bring us from 66 spt to 78 or 80 spt (if we accept a few turns of hunger):
    66-78-80
    132-156-160
    198-234-240
    264-312-320
    330-390-400
    396-468-480

468+132 = 600
    That looks like a winner.

Thoughts on buying Railroads now vs. waiting ~4 turns? Also on immediately invading France? Or perhaps just stop reinforcing the Spanish front in favor of building an attack force on the French border in the next few turns?

Edit: Also, re: gameplay logistics. I have more time available to play later tonight, less time tomorrow, and no time on Monday. I might be able to squeeze a turn in on Tuesday, and I'll definitely have some time on Wednesday.

JerseyJoe, I'm happy to hand it off anytime, depending on when you'd like to start up your next set.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  15. LKendter

Get Rails now. We should be able to get one tech before before CP completes.

Don't even look at France until they complete there UW. We want the free barracks. No matter what I would finish Spain before starting on France. If we are close on Spain, then we can start building up for France.
    A lot of our cities should hopefully be able to slip in more factories before more troops. It would be nice to get factories done before the next war.

16. Elephantium

France just completed their UW (Napoleonic Era) in the same IBT that I got the popup about the US starting work on Crystal Palace. I was asking about war now because that gives them less time to build up troops with GA production levels.

Spain has 4 cities left. I expect to take two this turn, one the turn after that, and then Valencie (the last bastion) 2-3 turns after that. From there, it'll take 10-12 turns to move troops from Old Spain to the French border (minus whatever tiles we have railed by then, of course!).

Factories will take 10-20 turns to build in most of our mid-tier cities. We'll have to do a lot of short-rushing to get them widely built...

Oh, and I don't think we'll research anything else in less than 6 turns. Railroad was going to take 8 turns.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  17. Elephantium

Well, that was a bust. Washington completed the Crystal Palace after working on it for one turn :mad:

18. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Steadholder Supporter

Elephantium, I am completely flexible on time and have no holiday plans (except enjoying an adult beverage or two). :xmascheers: Hand off when it is convent for you.

We should buy Railroads now and start railing 180K's hills and forests.

As Greebley pointed out, we should get back some of the research gold we spend by paying less for the next Tech. The "big 3" should have Explosives finished and available for trade before we complete Crystal Place. After trading for Explosives, I would stop research.

Also, maybe put some of the food rich, shield poor towns building Gas Holding or War Memorial if finished in 5 turns or more so we could rush Steamrollers when we buy Explosives.

Keep up the good work. :snowgrin:

Edit: Opps. I guess, buy explosives and switch 180K to a Steamroller.

19. LKendter

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Time to get railroads, and start improving 180K. Rush some steamrollers.

We need to push toward Sci Meth (other 2 tech wonder). I think I recall that right.

20. LKendter

:hmmm:
    How close to the next possible wonder?