1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK161, Australia, CCM 2.5, 180K goal

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Steadholder Supporter

We got a few Great Leaders. Also we have close to 40 Steamrollers (part of the reason France fell so quick). It takes 2 Steamrollers plus 4 Slaves to build a railroad in 1 turn.

2. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I would be able to play the weekend. Go ahead if you can play before that.

3. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

A Happy New Year to all players and lurkers of the CCM2 succession games!

Dwarven Zerker and vmxa like this.
  4. Jersey Joe

Continuing 1100 AD:
    Additional funding for the construction of the Oceania Railroad.
    Trades:
    Railroads to Nubia for 4398 gold and 432 gpt.
    Railroads to Lowlands for 848 gold and 308 gpt.
    Railroads to France for 2099 gold. Maybe Louis will build some rails before we get there.
    Industrialization to Egypt for 6 gold and 171 gpt.
    Fossil Energy to Mongol Khanates for 188 gold and 75 gpt.
    Free Artistry to Russia for 172 gold and 60 gpt.
    Free Artistry to Aztecs for 49 gold and 37 gpt.
    Free Artistry to Israel for 27 gold and 38 gpt,
    Democracy to Scandinavia for 103 gold and 80 gpt.
    Democracy to Britain for 12 gold and 142 gpt.
    Medicine to Indo-China for 50 gold and 28 gpt.
    Medicine to Turkey for 48 Gold and 28 gpt.
    Printing Press to Germany for 73 Gold and 4 gpt.
    Renaissance to Poland for Furs, 13 gold and 4 gpt.
    Steam Power to Inca for 44 gold and 27 gpt.

Wellington switched to Desert Fort.

Steamrollers rushed in: Darwin, Elephantium Prime, Canberra, Whispering Pines, Melbourne, Iron City, Adelaide, Cairns, Hobart, Nampa, Wonsan, Hyangsan, Ulsan, Avignon, Chartres, Pusan, Johannesburg, Zimbabwe, Durban, Kimberley, Windhoek, Lyons, P’yongyang, Inch’on, Cape Town, and Bloemfontein

IBT: We sink a Pirate Ship (1, 0).

1110 AD:
    Attacking Valencia:
    eHussar kills Spanish Late Pike and gets a Great Leader (2, 0). Light Horse kills Late Pike (3, 0); Hussar kills Crossbow (4, 0). Valencia is captured and the Spanish are eliminated.

IBT: We sink a Pirate Ship (5, 0)
    Arabs are building Eiffel Tower.

1120 AD:
    I’ve been working on the rairoad.
    IBT: The 3 Grinches (America, the Arabs, and India) are building the Olympic Games. :sad:

1130 AD:
    Trades:
    10382 gold to India for Imperialism.
    Explosives to Lowlands for 1617 gold and 466 gpt.
    Free Artistry to Indo-China for Dyes, 44 gold and 88 gpt.
    Switch 180K to Olympic Games due next turn.

IBT: We complete the Olympic Games.
    America completes the Eiffel Tower.

Israel wants to stop trading us Gems for Coffee. I renew the deal by bribing Israel with 337 gold.
    We finally complete building the Capitol in Seoul.

1140 AD:
    Lawyer signs an Enslaver to a MMA contract (6, 0) .
    ePriest kills Grerk Hopilite (7, 0); eLawyer kills Longbow (8, 0)

IBT:
    eLawyer signs Nubian Hussar to rodeo act (9, 0).

1150 AD:
    Trade Hardwood to Scandinavia for 81 gold and 21 gpt.

Lawyer kills French Late Pike (10, 0); eLawyer kills Crossbowman (11, 0).
    Commerce Raider sinks French Galleass (12, 0);

IBT: India wants to cancel our deal with them for their Silk. Trade them Coffee and Elephants for Silk and 331 gold,

1160 AD:
    Trade Steel to Lowlands for 1462 and 541 gpt.
    We plant a Spy in Paris.
    We Declare War on France.

Siege of Paris:
    Horse Artillery kills French Medieval Infantry (13, 0); Light Horse kills Guard Infantry (14, 0); Light Horse kill 3 Late Pike (17, 0); Light Horse kills Guard Infantry (18, 0); Light Horse killed by Late Pike (18, 1); Light Horse kills Late Pike (19, 1). Paris is captured and we gain possession of Napoleonic Era. Once again our cities have barracks.

Grenadier killed by French Medieval Infantry (19, 2); Heavy Artillery kills Medieval Infantry (20, 2); ANZAC kills Medieval Infantry (21, 2); Light Horse killed by Late Pike (21, 3); Light Horse kills Late Pike (22, 3); Light Horse kills Crossbow (23, 3); Hussar kills Late Pike (24, 3); Hussar kills Crossbow (25, 3).

IBT: ANZAC killed by French Crossbow (25, 4); Light Horse kills Trebuchect (26, 4).

1170 AD:
    Great Leader rushes Industrial Core Center in 180K.
    Battle of Orleans:
    eLight Horse kills French Rifleman (27, 4); eLight kills Late Pikeman and we get a Great Leader (28, 5). Great Leader rushes a Factory in Nampa. Horse Artillery kills Late Pikeman (29, 5). Orleans is captured.

Lawyer kills Late Pike (30, 5); Enslaver kills Crossbow (31, 5); Lawyer kills Crossbow (32, 5); eEnslaver kills Crossbow (33, 5); eLight Horse kills Crossbow (34, 5); Light Horse kills Crossbow (35. 5); Light Horse killed by Trebuchet (35, 6); Light Horse kills Late Pike (36, 6), Light Horse kills Crossbow (37, 6); Light Horse kill 2 Late Pike (39, 6); Light Horse kills Footknight (40, 6); Light Horse kill 2 Crossbowman (42, 6); ANZAC kills Crossbowman (43, 6).

1180 AD:
    Taking Tours: Horse Artillery kills French Rifleman (44, 6); Horse Artillery kill 3 Late Pike (47, 6). Tours is added to our Hegemony.

Rousting Rouen: Light Horse kills French Rifleman (48, 6); light horse kill 2 Late Pike (50, 6). Rouen is added to our Hegemony.

Ransack Rheims: Light Horse kills French Rifleman (51, 6) Light Horse killed by Rifleman (51, 7); Light Horse kills Rifleman (52, 7); Light Horse killed by Rifleman (52, 8); eHussar killed by Rifleman (52, 9); eHussar kills Rifleman (53, 9) and we get a Great Leader. Great Leader builds a Factory in Whispering Pines. eLight Horse kills Heavy Artillery (54, 9); eLawyer signs Rifleman to play Chuck Conners in docu-bio (55, 9). eHussar kills Rifleman (56, 9). Rheims is captured.

eHussar kills Crossbow (57, 9); Light Horse kills Crossbow (58, 19); Lawyer kills Crossbow (59, 9); Heavy Artillery kills Crossbow (60, 9); eKABOOM kills Crossbow (61, 9) and we get a Great Leader. ANZAC kills Late Pike (62, 9).

1190 AD:
    Great Leader rushes Factory in Elephantium.

Annex Amiens: Light Horse kills Late Pike (63, 9). Amiens is added to our Hegemony.

Mangling Marseilles: eLight Horse kills French Rifleman (64, 9); 2 Light Horse are killed by Riflemen (64, 11); Light Horse kill 2 Riflemen (66, 11). Marseilles is captured.

Making Mustard out of Dijon: Light Horse kill 2 French Late Pike (68, 11). Dijon is capatured.

IBT: Our Explorer Ship is sunk (68, 12). :)Bonus from Napoleonic Age we get a French Guard Infantry.

1200 AD:
    Trade Tobacco, Coal and 8428 to Arabia for The Corporation.

eLawyer kills Nubian Camel Musketeer (69, 12) and gets a Great Leader.

IBT: The 3 Grinches learn Nationalism. Worst case is should get at least Arms Race before they do.

1210 AD:
    Great Leader builds Factory in Seoul.

Lawyer kills Nubian Camel Musketeer (70, 12).
    Lawyer signs Nubian Trebuchet to a dance contract (71, 12).

IBT: Lawyer signs Egyptian Elephant to appear in (72, 12) circus.
    Lawyer killed by Nubian Hussar (72, 13). :cry:

1220 AD:
    eLawyer kills American Mounted Warrior (73, 13).

IBT: Commerce Raider sinks Mongol? Ship (74, 13).
    Americans are building X-Ray Machine (they now Scientific Method).
    Americans complete Arctic Expedition, Arabs begin X-Ray Machine (switch from Artic Expedition?).

1230 AD:
    Working to complete thin rail net.

1240 AD:
    Trade Coffee, Spices, and 26 gold to USA for Scientific Method. Pretty sure we get Arms Race.
    Trade Imperialism to Nubia for 350 gold and 490 gpt.

Lawyer sign American Knight to sitcom contract (75, 13).

IBT: Greece declares war on the Arabs.
    Nubia cancels deal for Horses.

We learned Improved Steam Engines (made Windmills obsolete) and Electricity (made Steam Engines obsolete).

1250 AD:
    We are not at war.
    Greece might be a good target and give us chances at more Entertainers and Monks.

The rail-net is mostly finished. I have started to improve Cities that currently have the most potential to produce Shields if the are fully railed and all tiles are developed,

We are studying Atomic Theory (for settlers and Great Wonder). We have not yet put any beakers into Atomic Theory.

I think we should wait 3 turns before trading Improved Steam Engines (see below).

180K is building Transcontinental Railroad; due in 4 turns. However, I had to hire 2 extra Engineers and have a food shortfall.
    After 3 turns 1 Engineer can be fired and go back to providing food
    . I think this is the best way to make sure we build the Wonder.

After building Transcontinental Railroad, I would build a Power Plant in 180K then start on Wall Street.

The same starvation scenario exists in Hobart to get X-Ray Machine next turn. Hopefully, since we are the only ones with Improved Rails, there will not be a cascade into Transcontinental Railroad.

Notes:
    Our Troops are fortified on the rails west of Wonsan.

There is a group of 5 Slaves east of Besancon which builds roads in 1 turn.
    The is a group of 1 Foreign Steamroller + 1 slave which can irrigate in 1 turn or build a mine in 2 turns.
    All the rest of the groups of workers are set up to build 1 turn Railroad.

Efficient set ups for 1 turn Railroad build.
    2 Steamrollers + 2 Workers
    2 Steamrollers + 1 Worker + 2 Slaves
    2 Steamrollers + 4 Slaves

Screenshots to follow.

Attached Files:

Dwarven Zerker likes this.
  5. Jersey Joe

Spoiler Our Core Cities 1250 AD :

Spoiler Greece Core 1250 AD :

Spoiler French Riviera 1250 AD :

Dwarven Zerker likes this.
  6. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

It was a long set, but we did great for monk / artist generation.
    Glad to see X-Ray machine locked. We’ve done great for getting wonders helping with happiness this game.
    We’ve hit key point in the game with most of the thin-rail net done. Now we just need to wrap things up.
    There are still stray units to upgrade. I see JJ got most of them. :)
    I agree with JJ to not trade improved steam engines until we lock transcontinental railroad. Free rail yards everywhere is a big production help.

ROSTER:
    LKendter
    Jersey Joe
    Greebley (up)
    Elephantium (on deck)
    Don’t build an opera in 180K. We agree not to use the 2X to 4X exploit for monks / artist
    Cultural win progress:

1250 AD: 42,553 / 180,000 23.64%

7. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I got it.

8. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Progress so far:
    LK161_AD1270.png

Have not attacked Greek yet; but I may this turn (1270). They are starting to block our city connections.

9. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Preturn:
    Changed some builds and used about 1/4 of our cash to rush builds. I thought war memorial did something different but it is just war weariness and a culture, we were building but no more. Was it patched by recent patch? Also started cruiser project in Walvis bay.

1255 AD: Road to Catapult and Treb. We gain an Artist. Also attack a Worker (Egypt was roading to a resource and ended up in our territory)
    Updated City Defenders.
    Traded for older tech.

IBT: National Monument completed by USA. This will stop a cascade if we keep our monopoly on Improved Steam Engines another turn.

1260 AD: Another Great Artist
    Built a new City between Salamanca and Elephantium Prime.
    Got a leader and rushed a random long term factory.

1265 AD: We have trans RR locked at 1 turn.
    Trade Improved Steam for Nationalism and 7960 gold to USA. 5880 gold for the initial upgrade of our ANZAC defenders (7-7-1 -> 8-8-1)
    India must not have met USA because they will give us monopoly price: Improved Ammo, 332 gpt and 1220 gold for Improved Steam.
    Finally we trade Improved Steam with Arabia for 9225 gold.

Fascism is known and we still have the monopoly on Electricity. Decide it is not worth trading yet; I would prefer a different tech.
    Have to road to a def 2 Elephant our Healthy Lawyer can attack. May soon need the Greek war to keep the Lawyers busy (after they heal).

IBT: Trans RR built along with Cruiser Project.

1270 AD: Go ahead and declare war on Greece. We kill a lot of units losing 6-7 or so.
    Line up attacks on two Greek Cities.

Communism and Fascism are known while we are still up Electricity. Check price we get for Electricity and I don't think any of the Big 3 are researching it yet.

Rushed more Steam Rollers

IBT: 180K finishes power plant, can build Wall Street in 5.
    It appears Greece is at war with Arabia who has 2 cities on our continent. This is where the Troops were going - the cities are on the French Peninsula.
    We lost furs (but redo the deal next turn)

1275 AD:
    Greece:
    Cheju - the city really close to us is capture with several retreats (no Kills). Gained a Worker.
    Eretria - Isolated Greek city on Peninsula is Captured.
    Road to Marathon and Capture it with one loss. It had only one border Expansion and Tropical Fruit. We must have fresh fruit! or something.
    Halicarnassus has a single expansion, but is surrounded by Jungle, so we move in Artillery to take it next turn.
    Also move on Pharsalos

For Trades, nubia has 880+ gpt available. They make a decent next target but that is enough to make me think we might want to go for Egypt instead. Decide to sell them Corporation, rather than have someone like Arabia get those gpt. Make smaller trades as well
    Rush about 9k of buildings to put us to 23k

Gain an Artist.
    IBT: Biggest Greek stack moves back

1280 AD: Halicarnassus falls to 2 Heavy Artillery.
    Pharsalos has only two defenders and falls easily. We get 2 workers.

Attack the larger Greek stack to remove defenders. When 12 Xbow remain, I use the healthy Lawyers and Priest. We get one Great artist that pushes our city over 50k culture.

Line up Attacks on Thermopylae and Sparta.

1285 AD: Another great Artist but our Lawyers need to heal (one nearly lost vs the xbow, but retreated).

Sparta is size 22 and has Line Infantry which must be new, def 5 is the best defender seen so far. We lose two Light Horse taking the city.

Thermopylae has the def 5 Musket Infantry. We still lose 2 Light Horse. We also get a Worker.

Only one Lawyer can attack but we get lucky with another Great Artist. We also pick up some more Partisan. (Our 4 enslavers and one Worker were updated, and I think we converted 3 more)

Move back on Argos which is nearer to us.

1290 AD: Capture Argos.
    There are no longer stray units to kill so we line up 3 attacks next turn including Athens.

Draft a few citizens. 2 defenders is better vs invisible unit attack, but the second one can be weak. It frees up defenders and/or makes city defense stronger.
    Also rush some more key buildings and Steam Rollers. I am working on cities missing improvements now and have low growth.

IBT: Getting the barracks from the French has payed off. Atomic Theory in 4 and we still haven't traded Electricity so will get there first. Only Communism and Fascism are available, and we don't have to rush to Communism for Barracks.

1295 AD: Lose 4 Light Horse taking Athens. The Line Infantry makes it tough.
    We lose 3 at Delphi due to fewer retreats, but capture the city.
    Corinth has 2 Line Infantry and Pike. We lose 2 Horse.

Mycenae is close to Athens and Delphi and is a smaller core city at size 12.
    Egypt has a defense 2 and 1 units sitting on our road to Greece. The lawyers head off to discuss road ownership with them, but can't convince either to go to art school.

Once RR crews can reach Athens, we finally attack Mycenae and capture the city with one loss.

There are several Greek ships, so I rush two Dreadnought in case Greece has a world-ending aqua-settler. Should have thought of this sooner. Fortunately there are still some spots free by land, so we may be fine.

We use our Priest to clear an Egyptian on the way to Knossos for an attack next turn.

Nubia had another 683 gpt so they get sci method. We are now getting over 2000 gpt from them as 'Please don't kill me next' insurance. We are getting lesser gpt from Egypt making them a better target.

IBT: Wall Street completes in 180K, start Telegraph which gives a Culture Point.

1300 AD:
    Knossos falls losing a Horse.
    Ephesus falls also losing a Horse.

Motorization is now around. Trade Electricity to US for Motorization and 8700 Gold.
    Cancel a deal for silks for Elephants and Coffee. Trade the following:
    We can get Communism (who still hasn't met US) for Electricity, Incense, Elephants, Coffee, Tropical Fruit and Spices.
    Finally trade Electricity to Arabia for 9815 Gold
    I check and no one but India now have a free silk.
    India doesn't have Motorization so we can trade for silks, 26 gpt and 239 gold. A bit on the skimpy side, but I think they would get it in a turn or two in any case (AI trades with itself first when a new tech is learned so I don't think not trading will help us unless we really want Fascism now).

I forgot we can't trade Atomic Theory. The fact we get it first doesn't help as much as I hoped.
    Well we have 54K gold and high gpt, but we may not want to rush quite as much as tech trading will slow down soon.

With motorization we can upgrade the Light Horse. Accidentally upgraded the 2 injured Elite Horse, so we only have 2 Elite Horse amongst the units I could move home.

We move next to Thessalonica with our forces for an attack next turn. If we use our Partisans to take the last city, Troy, we would potentially kill them next turn.

Tried planting a Spy with Greece but it failed; so it probably won't work next turn.

Notes:
    180K is now more than 1/3 of the way there - we passed 60K.

There are 3 commercial raider off the old french coast. I decided to build a destroyer too (rushed but not built). If the raider hide under the destroyer they can bombard/sink ships from the US and Arabia without being able to be attacked back. The 3 raider should wait for the destroyer else the will be zepplined into oblivion.

I think Egypt should be our next target. Nubia is currently too profitable to attack. Note that we can use Partisans to eliminate def 3/4 defenders to allow our Lawyers attack the weaker ones. (stacks like pike and xbow still exist) In this way we don't really need to attack immediately if we don't want to.

I rushed 2 pre-dreadnought last turn and 2 this turn. They can hunt down boats if Greece fails to disappear when the last city is taken.

I feel using the indestructable supply shipment to explore is a bit too much of a cheat. The AI will chase after them but cannot ever pick them up. I merged where I could and otherwise went for fortifying on mountains.

Upgrades (38) are mostly in the 180K city. There are some other units near the capitol, such as the Partisans. There may be some fortified in scattered locations, though I think I got to most of them.

There are a lot of Infantry standing around. One reason is if there is a flip they can attack the city they are near. This last turn was much quieter than before so I had more available. You will want to wake them up if Greece falls.

I did rush and build Steam Rollers so we have 50 now. I did not upgrade Workers to Partisans because of the point mentioned earlier of 2 Steam Rollers + 2-4 Workers to rail.

Optimized a lot for city growth. We are now building more units than during my turns.

Here is the last of Greece:
    LK161_AD1300.png
    Here is an overview of the overall situation and the Egyptian units.
    LK161_AD1300Overview.png

Attached Files:

10. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Civinator,
    Given that we are only 1/3 of the way to 180K, I think allowing for 4K with Opera house is ok. It would still be a challenge for most people, especially if they are not in continuous wars. That is still about 40 great artists needed.

8K was also mentioned and I think that would be too easy. 4x should be the maximum.

Conversely you could reduce to 2x maximum and lower the 180K value. That would make culture from wonders mean more. For example we have 50 culture (might be more if you don't play deity) which is 200 turns for 10K.

11. LKendter

We have a debate if killing off civs fast is the best. Total territory doesn’t matter. IMO more wars don’t gain much. What is important is artist generation. I really don’t want to have to get to the other land mass to generate artists.

At this point Greece should die. After that, I would like to pause the attacking as long as our lawyers can find stray units to attack. I see a lot of Egypt close to our borders right now.

We are now past 1/3 of the way to 180K. All that matters is artist. More territory is meaningless.
    We have 5 lousy lawyers. Above all, we need to protect them. I can’t believe we still have a priest.
    As long as Egypt doesn’t declare I would like to just keep picking off there weakest units with lawyers. I realize it is boring, but having to go to the other continent will really drag out the game.

ROSTER:
    LKendter (on deck)
    Jersey Joe
    Greebley
    Elephantium (up)
    Don’t build an opera in 180K. We agree not to use the 2X to 4X exploit for monks / artist
    Cultural win progress:

12. Jersey Joe

Good catch Greebley, you are correct.
    I thought it increased research 50%:

However, the biq file does not have it increasing research only reducing war weariness. Also, culture growth is only 1 not 2.

13. Jersey Joe

180K should start Battlefield Medicine as a prebuild for Theory of Relativity.

We should set the Lawyers up with some Partisan body guards.

14. Civinator

The wrong civilopedia entry for the War Memorial was fixed in the patched version of CCM2.50 (here Top 10):

Sorry for that missleading old civilopedia entry.

Attached Files:

15. Civinator

Great reports! :goodjob:

:lol:

In the patched version CCM2.50 now is set to a max of 2k for Great Artists, as the monastry becomes obsolete, when the opera now is appearing. At present I´m not convinced, that setting the benefit of the Great Artist again to 4K would still be a challenge for most players. Please consider, that most players are playing on difficulty levels far below the deity level you are playing - but I watch the progress in your succession game closely. May be the 180 K limit should be somewhat reduced.

It also seems, that you haven´t used my 'slaving fleet tactics' in your game with a transport ship, well protected against pirates, containing a lawyer, a 2 MV guarding unit for that lawyer and a lot of space for contracted new artists, swimming along the shores of neutral civs, mostly outside their territory, and looking for neutral 1 MV units with a low defense value that have no road connections to their neighbouring tiles. When the lawyer and (mostly) the guarding unit are landed in the field beneath that unit, this unit has no chance to escape the attack of the 2 MV lawyer. Cause of these tactics I gave the lawyer no amphibious attack, as this would be too easy to gain a Great Artist, by attacking directly from the board of a ship.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  16. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

The war allowed me to attack def 1 units with the lawyers so in that sense it is worthwhile. That I was going for Great Artists can be seen by the fact that 42553->61055 is a 43% increase in culture in 10 turns.

I do agree we are not going for to war for the territory; rather so we can strip stacks of defenders off the xbow and such.

I think we should avoid attacking a def 3 unit with a lawyer or a def 2 on a hill or mountain. Losing the lawyers will happen, but we need to avoid as much as possible (I was trying to avoid def 2 as well when I could). Lawyers should be at 4 or more hp as well unless it is a worker or other 0 def unit.

It occurs to me we want to keep backward civs backward as well. They are usually broke anyway but we should avoid cheap trades.

Edit (Civ):, I think I do like keeping 2k as the maximum for the reason I mentioned - city culture is more meaningful. I think the 2k (requiring ~80 Great Artists) may become hard in our game when the AI increases in tech and weaker units aren't available. But you are right, Deity is much harder as the AI advances quickly. Slower tech would make it easier as weaker units are around much longer.

180K Monarch level AW might actually work well.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  17. LKendter

ROSTER:
    LKendter (on deck)
    Jersey Joe
    Greebley
    Elephantium (up)
    Cultural win progress:

1300 AD: 61,055 / 180,000 33.92%

18. LKendter

Bump#1

19. LKendter

Bump #2

I hope Tusker isn't having problems with the "email thingie" again.

20. Dwarven Zerker

Dwarven Zerker Just one more turn Honey!

Weeeelllll... Tusker hasn't been on the board since Jan 1. Maybe he has internets problem? Hopefully not foul play! :shifty: