1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK161, Australia, CCM 2.5, 180K goal

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Sep 10, 2019.

1. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

Going to be a while. I can't understand why I keep having issues, but no one else is. My guess is something is corrupted in my CCM 2.5 install, or Civ3 install.

I tried another test, and was trashed before 50 turns.

Doing a total wipe and reinstall.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  2. Ray2

Ray2 Chieftain

I had the same problem with MapStat, with older versions of CCM. MapStat was working fine for the first few turns, but after a while it could not load the save anymore, and eventually would crash.

After experimenting a bit I found that the 'Supply Shipments' option of CCM interferes somehow with MapStat and causes it to crash. I found 2 workarounds to this:

1) Don't select the 'Supply Shipments' option in the setup. Obviously you won't be able to leave any shipments in the capital anymore.

2) Edit the conquests.biq.
    Backup the file - open it with the editor - go to Scenario Properties and uncheck the 'Default Game Rules' - check manually the options you want (e.g. Victory Point Scoring), and make sure to check the 'Capture the Unit' option (this enables supply shipments without issues for MapStat - I have no idea why). Save and start a new game. The only drawback for editing the .biq file is that scientific leaders are disabled, but I had no issues with MapStat anymore.

Both options worked in older versions of CCM, but probably will work for the latest version as well.

3. LKendter

Thanks you very much. I probably never hit this before as I was playing CCM as a scenario. This is the first time I installed it on top of the main game. I tested option #2 and it worked perfectly. I even brought a supply shipment to the capitol.

Will work on a real start shortly.
    No way I would keep either test. One was an isolated island. The other was all flood plains, and took multiple rounds of pop loss due to disease.

EDIT: Testing more, and having issues option #2.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  4. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

5. LKendter

I have the latest version of Map Stat.

Option #1 appears to work. Will try to roll a good start tonight.

6. Ray2

Ray2 Chieftain

Have you tried starting a CCM game as a scenario? Maybe that will work if you never had issues with MapStat, while playing CCM as a scenario.

Open the CCM conquest.biq with the editor, generate a map with the settings you want (don't forget to uncheck 'Custom Map' under 'Scenario' - this allows to generate a new map each time), save it as a new file without replacing the CCM conquest.biq, and move it in the Scenario folder. Then you could start a CCM game as a scenario.

7. LKendter

4000 BC (0)
    I finally begin. Sacrificing supply shipments to get Map Stat working again is a more then equitable trade.
    Australia is our civ.

3950 BC (1)
    Canberra is founded. A second tier tech is available. Minimum research begins on naval warfare.

3200 BC (16)
    (IT) Maghreb completes the Harbor of Carthage.

3100 BC (18)
    (IT) Babylon completes Ishtar Gate.

2950 BC (21)
    Spain is contacted via a ship. No trades are possible.
    South Africa is contacted. They get sail, and give polytheism and $65.

2800 BC (25)
    Greece completes the Statue of Zeus.

2670 BC (27)
    180K is founded.

8. LKendter

2590 BC (29)
    France is contacted. They get polytheism and pottery. We get bronze working, masonry and $78.

2470 BC (31)
    (IT) Britain completes the Colossus.

2430 BC (32)
    Greece is contacted. No trades occur.

2390 BC (33)
    Our scout survived getting too close to Greece. As the scout leaves the border it contacts Nubia. No trades occur. Nubia is the tech leader at the moment.

2270 BC (37)
    This continent is massive. Korea is contacted. . No trades occur.
    (IT) Greece completes Stonehenge.

9. LKendter

2150 BC (41)
    (IT) Korea establishes an embassy with us.

2030 BC (43)
    (IT) Nubia completes the Black Pyramids.

1910 BC (43)
    Russia is contacted. No trades occur.

1830 BC (48)
    Melbourne is founded.

1790 BC (49)
    (IT) Indo-Chinese complete the Pyramids.

1750 BC (50)
    (IT) Arabia completes the Oracle.

10. LKendter

1725 BC (51)
    The run to naval warfare paid off. No other civ on our continent has it.
    Korea gets naval warfare. They give City-state and $14. They were the only civ that didn't want us to give extra for the tech.
    Nubia gets naval warfare. They give warrior code and $85.
    South Africa gets naval warfare and $146. They give iron working.
    Spain gets iron working. They give the wheel and $1.
    Russia gets iron working and $32. The give writing.
    Tech parity has been achieved for the moment.
    Minimum research begins on seafaring. Hopefully that third tier tech will survive 50 turns.
    There are still techs to be sold to some of the civs.

11. LKendter

Our 180K city in all its glory.
    All that coffee rocks as all the hills are 2 food.
    Our second culture building is only 1 turn away.
    With the mass trading round there is plenty to build including slavery to start increasing the shield count.

12. LKendter

We have no visible horses. :(
    The city isn't great, but it is the closest iron AND gives us a second luxury resource. This looks like the best spot for our 4th city. We can't do much fighting without iron.

13. LKendter

An overview of our land.

If you look at the mini-map, our continent is massive. The two exploring ships still aren't close to meeting.

14. LKendter

Summary:
    Unit costs are brutal right now. That is mainly because we haven't lost a unit. Both scouts are still out. There are several exploring warriors out. What is good is we are getting great early map info.

Slaver's Hut is finally under construction. Hopefully we get start picking up some free workers soon.

ROSTER:
    LKendter
    Jersey Joe (up)
    Greebley (on deck)
    Elephantium

Cultural win progress:
    1725 BC: 20 / 180000.

Attached Files:

15. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Steadholder Supporter

Looks like a good starting location. :thumbsup: Right now I would not discount Canberra as being a good candidate for 180K.

I got it.

16. LKendter

No wonder pre-builds in Canberra.
    Multiple special buildings only in capitol.
    I'm really hoping a leader can rush multiple small wonders in 180K.
    Plus the capitol is the ONLY source of vet units. It will be a long time before we have another source. 180K should get a lot built before we can stop units in the capitol.
    We may have a chance at some wonders early despite deity. Some of them require specific resources now. Lots of subtle changes.

Didn't mention big change I caught. Forest can be mined again. However, they start with one lousy shield...

17. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Steadholder Supporter

I have good news and bad news from a test game I was playing.
    Bad News:
    Slavery gives -1 culture per turn. :( If Slavery is sold the -1 culture stops, but the previously reduced culture is not restored. I did not play long enough to see if the -1 culture stops when Slavery becomes obsolete.

I think the 25% bonus in shields from slavery mitigates this negative effect and should not stop 180K from building Slavery (selling it once Slavery goes obsolete).

Now the Good News:
    Monastery (need to adopt Theocracy) doubles the effect of sacrificing a Monk or Great Artist. That is to say you get 400 or 2000 culture instead of 200 or 1000. Monasteries go obsolete when we learn Napoleonic Age. (I did not test to see if they lose their "doubling power").

The same doubling effect is true for both the Opera, and The Great Playhouse. Either of which can be built when we learn Free Artistry.

Also, the effect is multiplicative. :yup: If a Monastery and an Opera are in the same city you get 800 or 4000. The same is true for having the Opera and Great Playhouse in the same city.
    If you have a Monastery, an Opera and The Great Playhouse in the same city you get 8 times the effect. :woohoo:
    That is 1600 culture for a Monk and 8000 culture for a Great Artist. :D

I suggest that we plan on getting to Free Artistry as quick as possible and have 180K prebuild for The Great Playhouse, to be followed by building an Opera.
    All the while Accumulating Monks and Great Artists.

To get maximum benefit from the Monks and Artists we have captured, just before we learn Napoleonic Age we revolt to Theocracy and rush a Monastery in 180K. Obviously, we can do this earlier if we have enough Monks and Artists for the win.:lol:

Two other things to consider is where we build The Siege Workshop (and Ballista). Since it provides a barracks I suggest we build in Melbourne. Later when we can build it I suggest the School of Divinity go in 180K

18. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Yes, unfortunately this is true and I think 180 K culture can be reached much too easily, so I reflect to halve the culture provided by monks and Great Artists in the next version of the biq as you only need 23 great artists in a city that has a monastery, an opera and the great playhouse while beeing in government theocracy.

Spoiler :

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  19. LKendter

Maybe delete the double ability, or don't allow double * double * double (if possible)

20. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Yes, this could be done, too, but it would take away something of the flair of those buildings. If I remove the shield cost of the monks and great artists to the half, also the cultural worth of those units is halved. The buildings monastery and opera could receive the flag that in standard civ 3 is used for powerplants, excluding each other.

Another option would be to raise the limit for the cultural single city victory massively with the Quintillus editor. Based on the answer that in your last game you had about 70 great artists at the end of era 2, this would be a single city limit of at least 560.000 culture points (70x8000) and with the boosts of monks and buildings, I think 650,000 - 700.000 culture points wouldn´t be completely wrong.

Edit: ...and the civilopedia entries for monks and great artists are wrong and must be fixed, too.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019