1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK162, Japan, 500K culture

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

In your situation every turn that you can capture a city, containing a GW that adds a cultural building to every city, is counting, as this would add hundreds of cultural points each turn to your cultural score (belonging to the number of your cities). If you still have such a big amount of money, what is about trying to bribe a city as an invading place on another continent ? Additionally you could give a civ on another continent a new government and when that civ falls into Anarchy, those bribes would become even much cheaper.

And there is another thought about bribing a city. If you conquer a city, every normal building providing culture is destroyed (and every SW, too). I´m not sure, if this also happens, when a city is gained by bribe.

2. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

lurker's comment:
    Does CCM have airfields? I remember in a multiplayer game of mine long ago, instead of building expensive airports, I simply used two dozen leftover workers to create lots of airfields at home, and then I was instantly able to airlift like 20 units per turn into my beachhead on the other continent.

3. Takeo

Takeo Shogun

It is possible to build airfields, but overall the number of workers is limited because of their being auto-produced. Also at this point in the game there are super-workers that are expensive and take 2 population and the older workers that are auto-prod or 'acquired' can also be upgraded to a partisan unit.

4. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Nevertheless, in my eyes this is an interesting idea by Lanzelot. To use some old enslaved workers for creating airfields could be much more useful than to upgrade them to partisans (not only for an invasion at another continent, but also to strengthen the current frontline at the same continent when there is no railroad available to the front). I remember the report by Anthony Boscia about an SOE game played as Russia, when he managed to bring his precious artillery in a very short time to the front using this methode.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  5. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Steadholder Supporter

I wish we were given the choice of a Worker or a Partisan. Personally I would choose to have Workers instead of Partisans. If I need Partisans I would rather covert 2 enslaved workers rather than 1 Worker. One Worker is equal to 2 enslaved workers. The only a Road requires an odd number of worker turns to build. All other builds are even numbers. Therefore, from an efficiency standpoint, I only need an enslaved worker if I am building a road.

Remember, Tanks and Steamrollers cannot be Airlifted.
    If we are going to to this. I would raze a newly captured large city (all my existing workers are allocated to build railroads and terrain improvements in 1 turn) and using some of those newly acquired slaves to build Airfields. Of course, if you are on the same land mass the best way to get troops to the front is to build a railroad to where you want to fight, build a town (with rushed barracks) where you are going to fight, populate the town with troops, and kill the enemy. Next turn wounded troops do not have to move to heal.

6. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I was assuming we will make a limited number of airports. Numbers like 10 sound right to me, but could be added to later. We need this for our Rome invasion which can land and build a city before declaring war. It will take more than 1 turn to send enough.

That is what makes Egypt a problem. We need sufficient units upon landing, which means 10+ turns shipping them, or 30 or so airfields as a minimum.

For the other continent, I sent enough troops to start a city but not a war. Again I plan to land somewhere we can simply build a city. without war (though it may be the next player landing).

7. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Preturn:
    Unmoved healthy Lawyers + xbow in easy reach means we gain another Great Artist. Also picked up 2 Partisan.
    I think I will spend this turn picking up as much culture per turn as I can. As such I go through the cities; rush a few things and draft/disband where it makes the most sense to do so.

1897 AD: Capture Teotihuacan, use combat settler and capture Texcoco as well.
    Road to Malinalco to capture that as well.
    Lost a Partisan to Australian Treb.
    Trade Dyes, Gems, Wine, and 349 gpt to Britain for Mass Prod.
    Switch Atlanta from Battlefield Med to Ford in 4 - a great wonder devoid of culture but still useful.
    We can get Flight down to 4 turns with some extra scientists.
    Got an artist and Monk

1898 AD: Use settler to get near Capitol but it has 22 units in it at the moment including offensive units. I decide to hold off as they may be moving through.
    Build a road and use a settler to get near Tula and Tzintzunzen. They both have 2 defenders and are captured with no losses.
    With 5 Lawyer attacks got 2 Artist and a Leader - leader rushes University. Get a second leader for another university. Get a Monk
    I considered getting rid of temporary towns, but as long as they are generating culture we should keep them. Just build Japanese flag and cheap culture. If we hit the city limit we can consider disbanding.

1899 AD: There are still Aztec Xbow so I am going to skip my attack on the Aztec Capital. I kill off the defenders over the Xbow and then get an Artist. Some Lawyers don't attack but are healing. Get another Monk.
    Rushed some more culture. Opera houses and Japanese flag are likely the best culture/shield, but great Religious Center and great Synagogue are good at 160 shield for 3.

1900 AD:
    Britain lands a bunch of troops next to our island city. They are actually somewhat significant. I tell them to leave or declare war so they declare. Kill off the defenders but cannot get to the 2 Heavy Artillery unfortunately. We are unlikely to lose the city but will lose more units.
    Attack Dover, Britains city on our continent and Capture it. This puts us to war with the Dutch as well.
    Gain one Great Artist killing Xbow (Aztec). Gain 2 Monks.
    Attack Aztec Capitol and lose around 3 units, but finally capture it. It still had a lot of units.
    The Aztec are Destroyed.

1901 AD: Get Flight. Get Ford's Factory. Build some Airports near the capital.
    2 Great Artists

1902 AD:
    An incredible 5 Great Artists, and 2 Monks this turn. We have the Partisans clear the defenders on the Australian units and then kill the Xbows.
    Take out the Dutch town and end up at war with Italy.
    I do not attack the Persians as there are enough Australian units to go after.
    Since we are at war with Britain, I went ahead and stole their map. We see most the world now.

1903 AD: Killing more Australian Defenders with Partisans so I can use Lawyers on the Xbow.
    Placed several towns with roads to them.
    Italy has some stronger units coming toward us so up the number of Airports. Transport more units to the Italian continent.

Notes:
    Stopped on turn 290/year 1903. We are still more than 50 turns short of our last domination game in terms of turn count, so I think the game will be of similar length to those.
    I worked on culture per turn, but didn't place every settler - the Settlers city has 12 left. We are building some, but next player could build more.

I did not start a war with Persia since it was the last turn. There are unmoved units near the capital that could be used, but I think it better to wait until next turn when you have worker movement. This turn workers were laying down roads for more towns and so more culture.

A number of towns are building Infantry. We ran a bit low so are catching up again. They can be switched to Offensive units.

We should be able to land on the other continent next turn in clear space to build a town. However, we now have several wars with Civs on that continent so not sure if we should wait to make peace first. Britain declared war on us and Holland got drawn in. I also didn't yet make peace with China. We took both a Holland and Britain city so peace shouldn't cost us.

Italy has units coming at us. I think our forces will hold especially with 15 more units each turn. Next turn, for healing we could build a forest to build a city where our Airport is. Then rush a barracks and injured units on the airfield will heal to full if they don't move. I didn't think of doing this until after the steam roller had moved so I couldn't build the forest. After the rush we can go on the offensive and get the wonder we wanted. Italy has 1 Zeppelin to show us what is coming.

There was a mis-click causing a Zeppelin to bombard some random square. I think I stopped it? If not it an error and we need to find the right Zeppelin.

Italy:
    LK162_AD1903_Italy.png
    Persia:
    LK162_AD1903_Persia.png

Attached Files:

8. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Culture is 234970 so I was able to increase culture 50k this turn for 7-8 turns. I think we will win in 50 turns or less.

9. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

At this point I don’t think hitting the other big land mass is worth it. We still have civs on our land mass to take out. Australia and Persia alone will add a lot of towns that instantly get the wonderful base culture.
    Plus the Italian continent will take a bit to clear out all the junk units. I am sure they’ve not lost much of their junk units.
    We don’t need to hit a percent of territory goal, and that is the typical justification for the overseas invasion.

ROSTER:
    LKendter (on deck)
    Jersey Joe
    Greebley
    Elephantium (up)

Cultural win progress:

1903 AD: 234,970 / 500,000 46.99%

10. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I was thinking along the lines of an ROP and picking off units with lawyers and partisans rather than fighting (we of course cover them with normal units so we don't lose them). This would occur once there are no good targets on our own continent.

We do need to be at peace with everyone first for that.

This would also allow us to disband units for cultural buildings. Towns with all culture can use units to help those with less shields. I think that is more efficient than wealth.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  11. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

I've got it. I'll take a look at the save and start playing tomorrow.