1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK163 - AWM, India

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Aug 5, 2020.

1. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

The best front. I made progress versus Indo-China with getting there capitol. More cities should fall in the next set.

2. LKendter

The Britain / Israel / Korea (at least with troops). Israel should fold soon.

3. LKendter

Summary:

You will need at least 6 cavalry to RAZE Exeter. Unless we have shut down there adventurer stream it will be lost again. There are so many ships bombarding that all units will keep dropping to 1 HP. At the point, adventurers will slaughter it.

The area around Dover still needs a lot of work. I’ve reduced the unit count.

Hebron is in easy reach of Gaza. Once there is enough healthy cavalry, we can take it. There is already an artist on standby for a culture bomb.

There are two stacks by Angkor to deal with the incoming China stack. Use the lower stack first. If there are enough left overs they can be sent to Hanoi. China has another stack to the left of that area on the way.

I’ve got a handful of steamrollers queued up. Once some cities with high pop finish factories, it is time to peel of more.

Once imperialism is done researching we will have enough cash to try another steal. Our #1 goal is improved steam engines. The AI sucks at wonders with prereqs. This should finally give us our way overdue golden age. There aren’t many chances left to pull it off. IMO getting our GA is most important, so I want the cash to try that steal. 4 turns could be the difference in getting that wonder. Make sure we have to railyard prebuilds.
    At some point we can look at cash rushing some steamroller.

ROSTER:
    LKendter
    Greebley (up)
    Elephantium (on deck)
    Jersey Joe

Attached Files:

4. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

IIRC Egypt captured Porto Alegre from us back around 1780.

Things sound pretty intense on the British front.

5. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

This says a lot about the AI´s quality in handling amphibious operations. Until now, no civer has found a working option to improve AI amphibious landings on random maps. Even bigger transport capacities of ships didn´t improve this situation.

Good reports and an interesting story! :)

6. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Steadholder Supporter

British Adventures really hurt us :undecide: and now I see the Aztecs are sending a few our way :( .
    Good to read you stole a couple of techs.:thumbsup:

Maybe we should build our own SoDs of Adventurers by having all former Brazilian and Egyptian towns build an Adventurer to form a Sourthern SoD. At the same time all former Maghreb, Indo-Chinese, and S. African towns should build an Adventurer to form a Northern SoD. Plus, maybe have our former Turkish towns build Adventurers for an Eastern Sod.
    Also, we should keep all our workers and slaves building Railroads and not convert any to Partisans until we have at least 50 Steamrollers to replace them.

Bombay (lacks a Hospital so it cannot build X-Ray Machine) starts building Industrial Center this turn (prebuild for Arms Race or Transcontinental Rail). When we learn Imperialism, if Arms Race has not been built and our Steal Attempt is successful we take Scientific Method if it is available. Bombay switches to Arms Race and might have to hire 10+ engineers to have Arms Race due in 1 turn. If this is the case we drop research to zero (for 1 turn) and for our free techs either research the Nationalism -> Communism or, research Improved Steam -> Electricity. Followed by? with research on due in 4 turns (or maybe 50 turns)

If the Steal attempt is successful, but Scientific Method is not available or Arms Race has been build, 2 other possibilities exist. If Improved Steam Engines is available we take it and start to research ??
    If we can get Steam Engines we need 2 cities to build Railyards before goes so Bombay can be switched to Transcontinental Rail. Deli and Istanbul fit the bill and probably need prebuilds to complete the Railyards next turn so Bombay can be switched to Transcontinental Railroad.
    The last alternative is to get Maine Engineering and build Blue Riband (if it is available). I think Hill Street Blues produces the most shields of cities with Harbors.

Failing the attempt to steal, Bombay completes Industrial Center and we study Improved Steam.

I will follow up will additional prebuild details.

Question: What is the best way to take advantage of our Golden Age? We could drop research to zero and attempt to steal tech at least every other turn and still have some gold left over to rush build Steamrollers.

7. LKendter

SA has also been sending some Adventurers are way.
    The steals in the last sets really helped. We are now above most civs in tech.
    I agree 100% to not convert workers to partisans. I only got a handful of rail tiles down. Regardless of what cities they connect, please complete between cities before moving on. IIRC in former France we will connect two remote ones soon. One set of workers is along the route toward Britain. Keep them going will start speeding up troops to that tough front.
    I forget what X-Ray Machine does for us.
    I do like the idea of Industrial Center in Bombay. That may let is squeeze in more then one wonder. This game will go long enough that we may even want the wonder giving free telegraphs in all cities.

I've not fully thought about use of the GA. I know all our newer towns building factories should be able to push most of there buildings through. If we add that many new towns building troops it will really help. I also hope the GA will make it easier to peel of some expensive steamrollers. I prefer to keep researching during the GA. It should lets us cover multiple techs. There should be so much extra cash that we can rush a few steamrollers in low shield cities along with some steals.
    Once we connect cities to a city with barracks, we can start moving units between cities to take care of upgrades. I did plenty of upgrades near Britain and Indo-China with the barracks near the front.

8. LKendter

I think I already set it, but make sure: The next targets are wiping out Israel and Indo-China. They are both weak enough that we should plow through. Even junk nations are keeping us busy.
    It was easy, but wiping out that China stack tied up a lot of units.

9. Jersey Joe

The X-Ray Machine doubles happiness of Hospitals.

If we can build Arms Race and get 2 free techs I think we should go Nationalism -> Communism -> Improved Steam Engines (in 4 Turns). Bombay starts building Battlefield Medicine for a shot at Transcontinental Rail.
    If we fail to Steal a tech we should study Improved Steam Engines.

10. LKendter

X-Ray Machine isn't worth it. Happiness isn't a problem for us.

11. Civinator

In cases like this, a click into the civilopedia entry provides you with the needed informations:

Attached Files:

12. LKendter

Didn't feel like loading up the game just to check that. ;-)

13. LKendter

ROSTER:
    LKendter
    Greebley (up)
    Elephantium (on deck)
    Jersey Joe

14. Jersey Joe

Prebuilds starting right now:
    Bombay switches to Industrial Core Center.

Canberra switches to 1 turn Adventurer then Steamroller. Steamroller is prebuild for Railyard if needed.
    Carthage continues to build Factory but can be switched to Railyard if needed.

Hillstreet Blues switches to Factory and hires a cop so shields are at least 68 per turn. This is pre-build for Blue Riband if needed.

Istanbul-Constantinople should be adjusted to finish its factory in 4 turns.

If we steal Scientific Method, Bombay switches to Arms Race and hires enough Engineers to finish in 1 turn. The other cities continue their builds unchanged.

If we steal Improved Steam Engines: Windmills go obsolete. Hire Engineers if necessary to finish all 3 builds next turn. Canberra and Carthage switch to Railyards. If Bombay can switch before the Railyards are built switch to Transcon Rail now, otherwise next turn when the second Railyard if built (I am not sure of which city will be second) in the second city's screen scroll ahead to switch Bombay to Transcon Rail.

If we fail the steal
    All the cities finish their prebuilds.

When Bombay finishes Industrial Core it starts Battlefiled Medicine as Prebuild for Trans Con. Both Battefiled Medicine and Trans Con require 500 shields to build. So you will know if it will take Bombay 3 or 4 turns to finish which is 1 ot 2 turns after we learn Improved Steam Engines.
    Telegraph/Telephone Stations require 180 shields to build. Also, Railyards require 180 shields to build.
    Canberra can start a prebuild of Telegraph/Telephone Station due in 4 turns. (1 turn after we learn Improved Steam Engines).
    Istanbul-Constantinople should have a prebuild Telegraph/Telephone Station finishing in the same turn as Canerra. Build a 1 turn Adventurer if need be. N.B. Istanbul was picked because it completes its builds before Bombay.
    When we learn Improved Steam switch the cities so we build the Wonder.

15. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Ok, I got it.

16. LKendter

Good luck Greebley. You got the tricky timing turn to pull off the wonders.
    @JJ - does all your prebuild plans account for the fact imperialism needs 4 turns to finish?

17. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Looking at the images, I am not sure I see why keeping Exeter is so hard. We own the cities around it so where are these adventurers coming from? Boats?

18. LKendter

They keep running down the coastal mountains with NO roads. We can't attack them before they get there. Once there, all units are bombarded to 1 HP. That is enough to let the adventurers take it. I lost a *LOT* of units trying to hold the city against the onslaught.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  19. Civinator

The AI is using combined weapons. That´s nice! :)

20. Jersey Joe

Yes, I based the plans on 4 turns to learn Imperialism, then stealing a tech and switching builds. Therefore, we complete the Wonder in 5 turns. This works out well for Bombay since it takes them a minimum of 5 turns to get to the 600 shields needed to build Arms Race.
    If instead, we get Improved Railroads, Canberra and Carthage are set up to switch to Railyards (180 shields to build) and complete tier builds the following turn. Because Canberra and Carthage were Capital cities they will complete their builds before Bombay.
    The Blue Riband it will take 6 turns. I did not find a city with a harbor that could do it in 5 turns.