LK164 - CCM, AWM, Korea

IMO way to late for GL. If that was the goal we should have went for Lit before CS and CoL.
I'm okay with math as a side show before monarchy to get more free units.

Last edited:
Preturn: Fix riot. Raised Lux as two towns were suffering.

IBT: Germany builds world religion Christianity (for us).

1 AD: Lose an Archer attacking a Nubian Archer. Attack and kill 2 Spear in Axum and capture the city.
Nubia is gone:
LK164_AD1.png

25 AD: We have no visible enemies.
Build our first Sword. I will keep close to Seoul since we cannot see far.

50 AD: Wonsan needs a Scientist even at 20% lux. Needs another unit for Garrison duty.

75 AD: Upgrade horse to our first Chariot.

IBT: Israel 3 Archers show up south of SK Hynix

100 AD: Had just started moving to find the next city. Cannot advance without going in range of 3 Archers so they don't move and let the Archers come in range of them.

125 AD: Choose Mathematics. Archers are staying out of reach.

IBT: Attacked by a Chariot which retreats damaging our Spear.

150 AD: Decide Wonsan will start Academy as a prebuild for seige workshop and Vet units. Math in 6; academy in 8. Kill Chariot.

175 AD: Another 2 Archers spotted. Line up to kill the group of 3 Archers.

200 AD: Kill 4 Archers losing 2 Archers to do so. Upgrading 2 Workers shows 2 Enslavers next to our Capital. I use the sword and an Enslaver to kill them, gaining a slave.

225 AD: Build West Coast. I went for the better square rather than all that tundra. Placing the town spots a Settler which may be heading toward the iron.

Notes:
This turn 110 turns. I think I will stop here as I may be busy for the next few days and I am not sure on the weekend.

We have 2 Archer and a nearby Enslaver to kill the Numidean and Settler.

Capital can build 2 turn Swords and Pyongyang can build 2 turn Spear.

I switched towns from Slavery to Forges at the start (same shields with no minus to culture), so some towns won't have slavery yet even though they were building them at the start of my turn.

Wonsan builds Academy in 5 which is the same 80 shields as the seige Workshop. Math to switch to the workshop is in 3.

I have a short road going south from SK Hynix. That is all I managed towards finding the next enemy city.
LK164_AD225.png

Attachments

• LK164-225AD.SAV
    707.9 KB · Views: 50
LKendter (up)
Jersey Joe (on deck)
Elephantium
Greebley

Getting ready to play. Take a look at the last picture from Greebley at the extreme left. That is a red border!

I was wondering why Maghreb was pushing a settler into our territory. Once I saw that border it made sense.

225 AD (0)
We have 9 cities and just 2 on military. My usual complaint is not enough buildings. This time it is too many buildings.
Walls should always be the first priority IMO. I switch West Coast to walls. Too much is invested in Namp’o on the forge, so walls will have to be next.

One good piece of news is that Israel is backwards.
(IT) I heard an all enslaver battle by Seoul.
I heard another battle with just one enslaver. That one was somewhere near SK.

250 AD (1)
:sleep:

275 AD (2)
(IT) Siege Workshop is under construction.
Maghreb builds Theveste in a sub-par location. Despite the high overlap with SK I am planning to keep the city. This game is going to be decided in the early years. Another city for unit support and research now is far more important.
Maghreb lands a lone chariot near Napata.

300 AD (3)
(IT) I heard another enslaver fight near Seoul.
Multiple civs start on the great library.

325 AD (4)
I run down the badly injured Maghreb chariot by Napata. (1-0)
I kill a Maghreb warrior by Theveste. (2-0)

The gray ship I saw wasn’t German, but Persian. I have to start another war. :(
(IT) Maghreb lost an archer trying to hit our spear by Theveste. (3-0)
Siege shop is completed, and Ballista shop is next.

350 AD (5)
I attack an Israel stack in our territory. I kill 1 spear and 2 archers. (6-0)
The attacking chariot was badly injured. A new worker was gained.
(IT) I lost a sword to a holy man. Having Israel nearby is a pain, as they are guaranteed them. (6-1)
Despite the fact that we badly need troops, I am going to slip in a temple at Wonsan. This will give us the third one.

375 AD (6)
A sword barely kills an Israel spear near Seoul. (7-1)
I kill a Maghreb archer going elite. (8-1)
(IT) That blasted holy man killed an archer. (8-2)
We lost a spear in west coast to an Israel chariot. (8-3)

400 AD (7)
I am forced to lower the science rate to 60%.
Our archer kills that annoying holy man. (9-3)
The archer only chases the chariot away from West Coast. :(
The road building crew has to divert toward West Coast, instead of the red borders.
(IT) The Israel chariot commits suicide on our archer. (10-3)
Maghreb lands 2 units by West Coast. :eek:

425 AD (8)
Our chariot barely kills the Maghreb archer. (11-3)
An enslaver kills an Israel archer approaching Samsung. (12-3)
I gain another worker.
An enslaver kills a Maghreb chariot approaching West Coast and promotes to elite. (13-3)
An enslaver kills a Maghreb archer approaching West Coast. (14-3)
An archer injures the Chariot by West Coast. The city is safe for now.

I see 2 units from Persian south of Seoul.
I have no clue how we have contact with Russia. I only caught it because MapStat showed them as a new civ.
(IT) The West Coast area is bad again as I lost an archer and a spear around it. (14-5)
I killed an archer leaving Theveste. (15-5)
China starts a GA.
Persia starts a GA. It could get ugly fast near Seoul.

450 AD (9)
A chariot kills the Maghreb chariot by West Coast. (16-5)
A spear moving south stumbles onto a holy man, and is lucky to kill it. (17-5)
I deal with some Israel units by SK. I kill 1 spear and 1 warrior. (19-5)
I pick up another worker for my troubles.

475 AD (10)
I kill another archer approaching West Coast. (20-5)
I gain another worker.
The supply shipment arrived just in time. I can keep running a deficit to research monarchy.
[End of session 1]

Summary:
I don’t want to hit Theveste until it is size 2, or it has a border expansion. More cities are badly needed.

This one is still extremely tight. One bad RnG run and it would end. If I hadn’t been building the road toward the red borders West Coast would have been lost.

I got very lucky this set. There were too many cities on buildings. I badly needed more troops.

This is extremely ugly with 6 total civs to fight. I am sure will turn out to be phony wars. That is what saved us last time.

Persia is being a pain. Their troops are bypassing Seoul. We need to start maintaining a larger military presence in that area. I now have 4 cities building troops, including Wonsan building vets. Two more free unit buildings have been built.

Two spears are sitting on Joe’s white dot.

Last edited:
I've started building irrigation in anticipation of Monarchy. Wonsan has a hill being mined. I think that city can eventually get to one-turn swords.

There is a major lack of spears. Most of our interior stacks are naked and gambling an enslaver doesn't go deep into our territory.

West Coast can now whip walls if it stays ugly.

The lone worker is to join the stack by Samsung.

Watch for Theveste to grow to size 2 or expand borders. We need that city. It has incense to connect. Supply center incense is already available to build. Cash is so tight that another source of supply shipment will help with the tech situation.

The Yellow circle is to highlight the Maghreb borders.

SK has a nice stack to move out once you are close to being able to attack something. Some needs to stay for the next Israel move toward Samsung.

This area is the only path to victory I see. Maghreb has spices and silks. There could be 2 more happy sources to pick up. The big mystery is how do they already have 9 cities? It looks like at least part of it is Colossus with a free settler every 20 turns.

Last edited:
ROSTER:
Multiple civs are probably south of Seoul. Please don’t explore that direction.
LKendter
Jersey Joe (up)
Elephantium (on deck)
Greebley

Attachments

• LK164-475AD.SAV
    752.5 KB · Views: 50
Our expansion cities looks like they should go primarily west. That should hopefully let our cities link up with the Maghreb ones.

Germany and the Aztecs are both mysteries at this point. Despite contact, I've not seen units from them.

Last game Russia had red borders. Maybe the border peeking out of the fog is Russian, or more likely you saw a Russian unit but thought it was Maghreb.

I am not going to wait to see if it gets ugly but just whip West Coast. The angry should be gone before it can create an unhappy person.

I got it.

Continuing 475 AD: Victory Screen: 1% world area 5% world population
Whip Slavery in Samsung.

500 AD:
Between Seoul and P’yongyang, Swordsman kills Persian Immortal (1, 0); Chariot kills Chariot (2, 0); Swordsman kills Archer (3, 0).
Near SK Hynix, Enslaver kills Maghreb Numidian Mercenary (4, 0). Swordsman kills Israeli Spearman (5, 0).
Near West Coast, eSpearman kills Maghreb Archer( 6, 0); Enslaver captures Spearman (7, 0).

IBT: Near West Coast, eSpearman is killed by Maghreb Catapult (7, 1); Spearman (defending workers) kills Archer (8,1).

525 AD:
West Coast whips Walls.
Capture of Theveste: eArcher kills Maghreb Archer (9, 1); Archer kills Numidian Mercenary (10, 1); Archer killed by Numidian Mercenary (10, 2); Archer kills Archer (11, 2); Archer kills Numidian Mercenary (12, 2). The City is captured. Enslaver captures Catapult (13, 2).

IBT: One of our new Slaves is captured by an Israeli Chariot.

550 AD:
eEnslaver captures Israeli Chariot, who stole our slaves (14, 2). :D
At West Coast, Chariot kills 2 Maghreb Archers (16, 2).

IBT: Spearman just outside the western border of SK Hynix fights of attack by Invisible unit.

575 AD:
At the western border of SK Hynix, Enslaver captures an Invisible Unit. (17, 2); Chariot kills Archer (18, 2).

IBT: Spearman is killed by German Chariot (18, 3).

600 AD:
At the western border of SK Hynix, Enslaver kills Israeli Archer (19, 3).
At Hyangsan, eChariot kills German Chariot (20, 3).

625 AD: Workers work and we let the enemy come to us.

IBT: Southwest of West Coast, Spearman kills Russian Archer (21, 3).

650 AD:
Near SK Hynix, eArcher kills Maghreb Numidian Mercenary (22, 3); eEnslaver kills Numidian Mercenary (23, 3).

IBT: Southwest of West Coast, Archer and Spearman killed by Russian Chariots (23, 5).
We Learn about Monarchy and begin the Study of Pottery.

675 AD: Our people overthrow our Despotism. They want an Elephant King!

700 AD:
Near SK Hynix, Swordsman killed by Israeli Spearman (23, 6), eArcher kills Spearman (24, 6); Enslaver kills Archer (25, 6).

IBT: Near Seoul, Spearman killed by Persian Chariot (25, 7); Swordsman kills Archer (26, 7); Swordsman killed by Horseman (26, 8).

725 AD: We are now a Monarchy.
Near Seoul, Swordsman kills Persian Horseman (27, 8); Swordsman kills Chariot (28, 8); Catapult kills Archer (29, 8).

Victory Screen: 1% world area 3% world population

Notes:
  • The enemy (Russia) Chariots shown in the screenshot below are there. In the save the Russian Chariots are not visible because they are in the "fog:.
  • Napata is building the third temple we need to be able to build Buddhist religious buildings.
  • The warrior on the Mountain is there so we can see an extra tile.
Our Empire 725 AD

I don’t see a save attached.

Glad to see Theveste fell. That is a least some progress on the conquest front.

Sadly, it looks like building roads to red borders was stalled. I hope that can come back to life soon.
There also needs to be a road crew working toward the next settler site that JJ published a while ago.

I see the unit parade in the Seoul area continues.

Can we get the enslaver by Seoul out of there? I don’t want to see more unit loses.

I would like to see riding as the next tech. I really wanted more units that could attack, then retreat my set.

ROSTER:
Multiple civs are probably south of Seoul. Please don’t explore that direction.
LKendter
Jersey Joe
Elephantium (up)
Greebley (on deck)

opps. Here is the save.
There was a lot of enemy activity around West Coast so that road crew was diverted to building some roads for Theveste. They are currently irrigating by Samsung.
Also, there are many workers/slaves near Seoul.

I chose pottery because it was cheap.

Attachments

• LK164-725 AD.SAV
    774.6 KB · Views: 49
I've got it. The reign of the Elephant-King is at hand! :king:

I could switch research to Riding...looks like we don't have any beakers in Pots yet.

Last edited:
Right now Riding takes 6 turns to research and nets zero (0) gold. With troops being built every turn it will be hard to keep research on pace to complete in 6 turns without our treasury going negative. It is likely that researching Riding -> Pottery will take more than 10 turns of research to complete.

Doing pots before riding lets us accumulate some cash. Pots -> Riding should have no problem completing in 10 turns, possible 9 turns. There is an outside shot at 8 turns if Seoul builds an Academy.

Seoul can build an Academy in 5 turns (instead of 2.5 veteran swordsmen). P'yongang can do it in 8 turns (instead 4 regular spearmen/archers).

We need Academies to increase our rate of research. We should plan on building at least 1 Academy per turnset.
When I built an Academy in Wonsan it knocked a full turn off researching Monarchy.

EDIT: see my next post

Last edited:
Top Bottom