1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

LK165 - CCM, Deity, Space Race, Arabia

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Aug 21, 2021.

1. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

1919 AD (6)
    How many times can you hear "thank you very much" when fortifying a unit before it gets on your nerves? If I heard right, a fried banana sandwich sounds big time gross.

Too many units looking like Elvis makes fortifying into a unit stack very time consuming. I decide to wait until the Elvis celebration is over. At least I got the IT done. These have all been long.

[End of session 6]

Smoky Gems is founded. It gets an instant culture bomb.

The assault on Abydos begins. I kill 2 rifles and 1 pike. I lost 1 tank. (57-16)
    I gain $0 and 8 workers.

The assault on Hierakonpolis begins. I kill 2 rifles. (59-16)
    I gain $0 and 6 workers.

WW must have gone up some. There are multiple unhappy cities.
    I dial up crippled Egypt and sign a peace treaty. I don’t understand why our cities are still miserable. I have to up luxuries to 10%. I can’t recall if WW resets during the between turn.

Once again the bulk of our workers go to Canada. The main Canadian core is finally finished. I now start to work on Korea. Our very first conquest still isn’t 100% done.
    (IT) Israel and Austria sign a peace treaty.
    Poland and the Inca sign an MPP.
    France and Britain sign an MPP.
    The next tech project is improved tank design. This is the boring part of the tech try with no choices in path. 60% science is enough to finish this in 4 turns.
    Inca declares war on Italy.
    The Dutch are caught trying to plant a spy.

2. LKendter

1920 AD (7)
    I upgrade our steamrollers, artillery and Harley Scouts.

I check, and we are stuck with 10% luxuries for now. Those low happy cities need to get the last of the happy buildings to drop this. I have no idea when the war with Inca will be able to end without a flip risk.

I send our limited work force to Korea. Next turn with the bulldozers I expect to do much better.
    (IT) Inca declares war on Persia.
    Our source of spice went away. Luckily, I am able to get them back from Brazil.
    The phony war with Greece is over, and they are nice enough to give us $129.

3. LKendter

1921 AD (8)
    It looks like there were only a few stray spots left in former Korea. I run up and start looking at former Carthage. Some of those cities need a lot of work. Even with bulldozers it will take a bit.

[End of session 7]
    (IT) The phony war with India is over. I get $107 for our troubles.
    Greece and Australia sign a peace treaty.
    Nubia declares war on Poland.

4. LKendter

1922 AD (9)
    The workers again work on former Carthage. I also work some in Turkey.

[End of session 8]
    (IT) Inca and Australia sign a peace treaty.
    I am getting tired of the game suggesting we build very expensive airports.
    Vilcas gets hit by propaganda. I’m already going nuts trying to deal with motherland whiners. I never saw this before. It got hit by a second one.

5. LKendter

1923 AD (10)
    I finally start my last turn of the set. This block was tough to find time for, and went over a lot of sessions. Having the save disaster only made it worse to complete this.

All of the workers hit scattered towns that need work to keep growing or are working undeveloped tiles. I scrolled the city list backwards looking for places that were hurting. I didn't get that far going backwards.

6. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

There is a stack fortifying command in C3C, only one click:
    Stack Fortifying1.jpg

Additionally the Flintlock Patch holds a lot of additional stack commands, done by simply klicking on an icon, among them is the stack fortifying command:
    Stack Fortifying2.jpg

7. LKendter

The issue with everything being Elvis was trying to find the right stack. I fortify each unit type in a separate space. When you have multiple stacks looking alike, you have to check every stack to find the correct one.

8. LKendter

Summary:

Our ships are stacking up by Quebec. I am not sure if they will ever have a use since the goal is space.
    Quebec is also the parking spot for the air force. I put 3 infantry in there to be safe, since it is a coastal city.

I think I have hit the point of every city having enough defenders. Each coastal city should have 2 vet infantry, and the rest 1 vet infantry.
    As I build more veterans, I’ve been searching for cities with regulars or conscripts. The regulars are being disbanded to get shields into our newer cities. The conscripts are going in a pile for resistance suppression if needed.
    Cities with nothing better to build are building infantry to disband into our newest cities.
    Disbanded infantry do wonders to speed up a building. I got a lot done in Sealanfish and Seals by the Sea this way. Several other recent cities got at least one building done this way. The pace of infantry to disband will speed up as more cities finish up.

There is another small wonder allowing veteran units coming up with rocketry.

Any city showing low happy faces is concentrating on happy buildings. I want to get back to no luxury tax needed. 12 lousy cities are all that need fixing to get rid of the 10% luxury tax.

The first tech target in the final age needs to be focused research. The great wonder antibiotics gives a free research lab in every city. 50% science boost in every city would be a big help to keep 4-turn research. This is the #1 priority, as it should ensure 4-turn research the rest of the game.

It feels weird to be so far into the tech tree, but still 100+ turns to go. I suspect at some point these turns will get very fast. All worker actions should be done before then. Most of our cities should have all needed buildings.

9. LKendter

ROSTER:

LKendter
    Jersey Joe (up)
    Elephantium (on deck)
    Greebley

Restrictions:
    We are democracy the rest of the game.
    Continents map: Can't take out a civ on another continent. Okay to RAZE cities from a civ that was on OUR landmass anywhere. Okay to claim a small island for resources.

Attached Files:

10. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Steadholder Supporter

I got it.
    We have 20 techs to learn after Improved Tank design 4 left in this Era and, Focused Research +15 other techs in the Atomic Era to complete the Mars Mission.

I am going to build a few cities up in the northern part of our republic. One will get an unclaimed Rubber resource, another close up our coast line so no other civ can settle there. Also I am going to build over by the unclaimed fruit.

11. LKendter

We have 2 cities has produce a settler every turn. That can help with settling new cities, or increasing the small ones. I don't think I mentioned it above, but I was adding at least 2 pops points a turn to newer cities.

Let us not merge any workers until all city improvements done. Keep the bulldozers around no matter what.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  12. Jersey Joe

Agreed.
    Another goal of mine is to at least have all land tiles tiles that are being worked at least roaded, if not railed.

13. Jersey Joe

Learning Improved Tank Design gave us Hammurabi, a Scientific Leader. A Scientific Leader can build a Great Wonder or start a Golden Age of Science.
    At this point in the game, we can build any Wonder on the same turn we learn a tech by using an Airport as a prebuild. Therefore ,I do not need save him to build a Wonder quickly.

A Golden Age of Science would theoretically last 20 turns and increase our science research by 25% for each of those turns. However, I have read that this does not work and you should just rush a building.
    If the Golden Age of Science does work I estimate that I could drop the research tax by 10% for those 20 turns and with the extra gold rush at least 10 Universities.

Does anyone know if the Golden Age of Science works? Also, if it does work can you have 1 or more in addition to a normal Golden Age?

I have no problem with just trying to see if we get a Golden Age of Science. At worst, I do not get to use the Leader to build a University.

14. Civinator

Antal1987 posted, that it is fixed with the version of the Antal1987 patch that is included in CCM 2.50 (and in the Flintlock patch, that is used for the next version of CCM2): https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ccm2-epic-mod.625812/

Here I have no informations. I suppose, that here you can have several of them. I think, this constellation is a good opportunity to test it. :)

15. LKendter

The nice thing about the SL, is it proves we are the tech leaders. ;-)

I have no real strong preference how to use the SL.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  16. Jersey Joe

We are going to enter a Golden Age of Science which will usher us into the Atomic Age.

Based on Civ Assist II, we are 5 techs ahead of our nearest rival (the Lowlands). It appears that our rivals are also subject to the "no trade tech trading" rule.

17. Civinator

:thumbsup:

18. Jersey Joe

We might have to rethink :think: using a Golden Age of Science. It is not a 25% increase in science it is a 300% increase in science and it also increase scientists from 4 beakers added to 12 beakers added. If it lasted 1 turn it would not have been bad (25% x 20 = 300%) but a quick test shows it still works 1 turn later so we night have it for the full 20 turns.
    The effect of this 300% increase is to let me drop the science tax from 50% to 10% (still keep to the new tech every 4 turns schedule) and our revenue increases from about 3500 to 7000. An extra 35oo is enough to rush 2 Universities a turn.

However, we are at the mop up stage of the game and will only be improving tiles with works and hitting enter, so using the Golden Age is most likely not going to alter the outcome. We still need 4 turns to learn a tech. It will just simplify how we manage a turn. Instead of building troops to disband for shields we can just cash rush buildings and put the cities cities without barracks on building wealth.

I vote to use the Golden Age :yup: and enjoy the quicker turns. :D

19. Jersey Joe

It has been more than 24 hours so I am taking silence as consent.
    While waiting, I mapped out the Techs we need to study next turn:

Note: Just clicking on Mars Mission left out both the Synthetic Fibers and Advanced Composites techs. Those 2 techs are needed to build 3 of the necessary modules to complete the Mars Mission.

20. Jersey Joe

Continuing 1923 AD: Build 4 new towns that help solidify our eastern coast line and border, plus increase our supply of Coal, Rubber and Gems.

IBT
    :
    In the seas near New Carthage, our Battle Cruiser is sunk by a Lowlands Battle Cruiser (0, 1).
    Egypt declares war on the Poles.

We learn ways to improve our Tanks and begin researching Rocketry.

1924 AD:
    We send Silks, Gold (the resource), Topical Fruits and 200 gold to Persia for Dyes.
    I drop Luxury tax to 0% and hire a few clowns were needed.

New Carthage, sends out Heavy Bombers that sink a Lowlands Battle cruiser (1, 1).
    Battle Cruiser sinks Inca Battle Cruiser that was bombarding Ollantaytambo (2,1).

IBT: Australia declares war on the Dutch.

1925 AD: Hammurabi ushers in a Golden Age of Science.

Misfit is founded to insure sources of Silk for trade.

Trades:
    Steel to Aztec for 60 gold and 36 gpt.
    Steel to Poland for 18 gold and 33 gpt.
    Flight to Israel for 150 gpt.
    Nationalism to S. Africa for 250 gold and 129 gpt.
    Fascism to India for 90 gold and 53 gpt.

In New Carthage’s harbor our Battle Cruiser is sunk by a Lowland’s Super Dreadnought (2, 2).

IBT: Lowlands declares war on China.
    Greece signs MPP with Italy. :crazyeye: Guess how that turns out. :popcorn:
    Greece declares war on Poland and Italy declares war on India. :lmao:

1926 AD:
    We do not get a chance to renew or trade for furs, :sad: and there are no furs available to trade for.:gripe:

Bombers, out of New Carthage, sink a Lowland’s Super Dreadnought (3, 2) and damage a WWI Dreadnought.

IBT: Incas declare war on the Greeks.
    Egypt declares war on the Russians.
    Mongol Khanates sign a MPP with the Lowlands.

Propaganda campaign upsets out starving citizens in Stave – Vicas. To bad it does not kill them off. :mischief:

1927 AD:
    Bombers, out of New Carthage, sink a Lowland’s WWI Dreadnought (4, 2).

IBT: Incas declare war on the Nubians.
    Inca want to make peace but they will not trade me Coffee for it. :cowboy: So we continue without signing a peace treaty. :wallbash:
    Incas declare war in the Egyptians.

We learn about Rocketry and begin to study the ramifications of Total War.

1928 AD:
    Trade Improved Steam Engines to Mogol Khanates for 57 gold and 78 gpt.
    Trade Communism to India for 250 gold and 184 gpt.

IBT: Persia and China sign Peace Treaty.
    Brazil declares war on Israel.

1929 AD:
    Bombers, out of New Carthage, sink a Lowland’s Battle Cruiser (5, 2).

Since we only have a “fake” war with the Lowlands, and after checking for a peace treaty with them for the last 3 turns it appears they are not going to pay any substantial amount of gold.
    I make peace with the Lowlands and they give us a token 20 gold.

IBT: Mongol Khanates declare war on the British.
    France declares war on the Mongol Khanates.
    Lowlands declare war on British.

1930 AD:
    Northeast of Gryphon, eLawyer kills Mongol Adventurer (6, 2).

IBT: Brazil declares war on Indo-China.
    The Aztec wants us to pay them 12 gpt :shake: for a MPP and Right of Passage. I respectfully decline. :thumbsdown: There should be an option to tell they they can have a MPP, Right of Passage, and all our advanced tech, all they have to do is give us their unconditional surrender. :please: :rotfl:

Israel signs a MPP with Italy. If I make peace with the Inca we might be the only nation not at war. :lol: I do not make peace.
    Lowlands and S. Africa sign a peace treaty.
    Lowlands declare war on Indo-China.
    Israel declares war on the Poles.

1931 AD: Continued to improve infrastructure.

IBT: Aztecs and Nubia sign a MPP.
    Italy declares war on the Dutch.
    France declares war on Australia.
    Mongol Khanates declare war on Italy.
    Brazil declares war on Italy.

We learn the ramifications of Total War and begin developing advanced techniques to produce Wonder Weapons.

1932 AD: For no good reason, I trade Steam Power to France for 110 gold and 27 gpt.
    Continue to improve infrastructure and our military.

IBT: Israel declares war on India.
    Greece declares war on Brazil.
    China and Italy sign a peace treaty.
    Japan and Britain sign a MPP.
    Japan declares war on the Mongols.

1933 AD: Continued to improve infrastructure.

Notes:
    • We have 7 roaded and 1713 railroaded land tiles being worked and we have zero (0) unroaded land tiles being worked.
    • Starve Vilcabamba will reach 1 pop next turn. What I did when that happened before was rename the city by changing Stave to Inca. Also, I disbanded both the now obsolete T-26 tanks near the city and replaced the conscripts that were guarding the city with Veterans.
    • All worker groups complete the job in 1 turn. Withe the large groups I had to becareful not to use Bulldozers before I completed a road.
    • In towns like Plympton or Desert Crossing we might want to chop the forests and irrigate to grow larger population cities.
    • A Bulldozer does twice the work that a Steamroller did (e.g. 1 Bulldoze + 4 Slaves can build a railroadin 1 turn verse 2 Steamrollers + 4 Slaves).
    • It is about time to merge all the workers into our cities.
      • After all the “fat crosses have been railed landscaped we should then merge the slaves from destroyed civs into our cities. Slaves from civs that still own cities sould be turned into partisans.
      • Bulldozers and “Backhoes” should be keep for future needs.
    • You will notice that I started using Adventurers as border guards. Hopefully they will detect any invisible units trying to cross our borders.
      • The Adventurers are being build by cities that also produce Settlers but need 2 or more turns to regrow their population.
    • I have been merging all settlers into cities since we have reached the city building limit.
    • Also I have several cities that are building various regular troops to try and minimize the shield overflow. These troops are then used to rush buildings.
    • I stopped prioritizing building Hospitals, and shield multipliers. To take advantage of our low research rate, I have been building Markets and Banks before Academies. Also I have been rushing Aqueducts early in the build cycles owing to the settler merging I have been doing.
    • To avoid having the brain dead advisor recommending airports I have been using the build queue.
    • Also I have been rushing Aqueducts early in the build cycles because of all the settler merging I have been doing.
    • To try and keep our Army “small” I have all cities with barracks building T-34 Tanks. The only exception is Babylon which builds Infantry and, for this turn only, Surf City which starts an Airport prebuild next turn.
    • I am sailing our 1 ship that was exploring back home. Maybe we should just disband it and save the 3 gpt excess unit charge.
    to be continued