1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

LK165 - CCM, Deity, Space Race, Arabia

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

Off the top of my head, I'd lean towards the lux slider for L2 WW, then sign peace once we hit L3 WW.

@Jersey Joe, I always try to find the highest-shield building I can (that makes sense) to rush with Leaders. In this case, the Market made more sense than a Colosseum. That's frequently a Factory later-game (more battles in later eras, too).

2. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

One thing I remember about war weariness is that defending adds WW - even if you win. If we take extra time to not expose units, then ww will not build up as quickly. Things like waiting for the AI initial rush to move into our territory instead of marching in right away can increase the number of cities we can capture.

Losing a unit on attack and one of our units in the AI lands at the end of the turn also add. The latter point means we want to use combat settlers when we have them.

3. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Preturn: Decide to go for the Windmills in the two main towns.
    Scandanavia is willing to trade Engineering for its 56 gold and 30 gpt. Done.

IBT: No real reaction from Korea.

875 AD: Move stack toward Cheju.

900 AD: Kill 2 Spear without loss in Cheju. We capture 3 workers that retreated into the city last turn. Some units enter Korean lands for the next attack.

925 AD: Moving towar Seoul
    Any tech deal is 'doubt it'

950 AD: Got a Monk and used it on Pyong Yang for the next city.

Capture Seoul with 2 retreats. An Enslaver also gets a Worker when killing the last Archer.

975 AD: Wonsan has only one defender who falls immediately.
    Renegotiated the Gems deal.

Notes:
    Will stop here on turn 140 rather than keep the game for the weekend to play 5 more.

Korean war is a walk through the park. No units were lost this turn. I did leave an def 2 unit exposed the final turn as I wanted to kill 2 Archers that were harder to reach.

I think we can kill off Korea without needing peace. The cities are hard to make happy so they are smaller, but should grow fairly fast.

Ended up mostly building Infrastructure. I wanted to start the academies.

We can finally afford a tech but there is no 2-fer so I didn't trade.

LK165_AD975.png

Attached Files:

4. Elephantium

Wow! I didn't expect Seoul to crumple quite that easily. Great progress! :salute:

5. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

I hope I can finish off Korea.

I can’t believe how close Maghreb is. I didn’t expect to see them in a picture showing Korean lands.

ROSTER:

LKendter (up)
    Jersey Joe (on deck)
    Elephantium
    Greebley

Restrictions:
    You must choose governments: Republic and Democracy.
    Continents map: Can't take out a civ on another continent. Okay to claim a small island for resources.

6. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Steadholder Supporter

ditto :goodjob:

7. LKendter

975 AD (0)
    (IT) Spain is building the Arsenal.
    Germany completes Dome of the Rock.

1000 AD (1)
    (IT) Maghreb is building the Arsenal.

1025 AD (2)
    The assault on Nampo begins. I kill 2 spears. (2-0)
    Ships are destroyed in port.

It is still a bit light, but I give Egypt religion for $33 and $9/T.
    (IT) Wonsan flips back to Korea. Several units were lost. :mad:

1050 AD (3)
    The assault on Hyangsan begins. I kill 2 spears. (4-0)
    I gained 3 workers.

The assault on Wonsan begins. I killed 1 spear. (5-0)
    The fragile Koreans are dead. :dance:

A mullah kills a Maghreb crossbow. No new monk. (6-0)
    (IT) Spain is building Sacred Music. We are falling behind the tech leaders.

1075 AD (3)
    An enslaver goes after a Maghreb chariot and kills it. (7-0)
    A mullah goes after a Turkish warrior gaining a monk. (8-0)
    Hyangsan has issues with Maghreb culture, so it gets a culture bomb.

Germany gives 384 for iron.
    (IT) I don’t want a stupid war with the Inca. I give in to the $100 demand.

1100 AD (4)
    (IT) Mongolia has started a GA.

1125 AD (5)
    Uruk is founded on my grey dot.
    (IT) Mahgreb completes the Arsenal.

8. LKendter

1150 AD (6)
    (IT) Our exploring warrior survives a holy attack. (9-0)
    Italy completes Sacred Music.

1175 AD (7)
    I say hello to Mongolia. They are backwards and broke.
    I also say hello to Australia. They give $37 and $40/T for engineering.
    (IT) Spain has tripped there GA.

1200 AD (8)
    An enslaver kills a Spanish archer. (10-0)

I give Maghreb $2,937 for alchemy.
    I ship Scandinavia alchemy, $368 and $11/T for theology.

No AI has clockworks yet. I up the slider to 60% and can get it in 16 turns.
    (IT) The luckiest warrior survives another holy attack. (11-0)
    Ashur begins School of Navigators. The free ships can go to sea tiles giving us more visibility and maybe a hint to the other land mass.
    I didn’t even notice the unit land. Canada sneaked Quebec south of Babylon.

1225 AD (9)
    :sleep:

1250 AD (10)
    :sleep:

9. LKendter

13 turns to clockworks. I hope Elephantium has a good trading round coming up.

I built mostly buildings. I want to get all the happy buildings into our cities along with academies, markets, etc. Those culture buildings are badly needed to reduce flips.

The next logical target is Spain. They are a monster having 15 cities. That is the same count as us despite us taking over Korea! Those two wonders giving them free settlers has created a monster. It looks like they took at least one Turkish city in addition. They are number one in culture. It is going to be tricky. I want a lot more military before taking them on.
    The one weird thing is there cities along our border have horrid development.

ROSTER:

LKendter
    Jersey Joe (up)
    Elephantium (on deck)
    Greebley

Restrictions:
    Continents map: Can't take out a civ on another continent. Okay to claim a small island for resources.

Attached Files:

10. LKendter

ROSTER:

LKendter
    Jersey Joe (up) OVERDUE for got it
    Elephantium (on deck)
    Greebley

Restrictions:

11. Jersey Joe

I got it.
    Any thoughts on a limited war with Spain? For example, after we capture the 5 Spanish cities on our current borders, if Spain will gives us a current tech (we would trade for) we can ,make peace with them. Then maybe we could do the same thing to the Maghreb and get a tech from them. Followed by taking out Turkey and returning to finish off Spain.

Also, I see that Canada built a city on the spot suggested by Elephantium. Do we have a limited war with Canada to acquire that city?

12. LKendter

A limited war with Canada for that city would be fine. There culture isn't that high, and we should be able to hold it once it gets to size 2.

Spain is my #1 worry with culture. Plus they have those 2 annoying cities behind our lines. No matter what, I want to hit them first. I prefer to kill them, but with there size, and recent GA, I don't see a full kill in one set. No matter what I don't think we are ready in your set. I was 90% buildings. I think we need a lot more troops to deal with Spain.

I have no clue on Maghreb strength. They do fit nicely into our empire.

13. Elephantium

I'd like to see about 6 Sassanid Clibanarii mustered in Ellipi to attack Santander and then Jaen. Maybe 3-4 in Ashur "just in case". Another dozen or so on the mountain E of Iron Horse Saloon -- they can respond to Spanish troop movements. If you put a half dozen Pikes and a roading crew 1N of the wheat, you could take Zaragoza and immediately get some strong defense there.

We only have 20 Sassanid Clibanarii, so the above "wish list" is pushing it a bit for now. We also have the western border to secure, after all!

It might also be worth defending Iron Horse Saloon with a unit of Clibanarii to tempt Spain into sending their troops there instead of, say, Ashur.

I think Korea went so well because I focused heavily on killing their field army before trying to take too many of their cities. If we can get a kill zone set up E/NE of Iron Horse Saloon, I think we'll be able to similarly smash Spain despite their greater number of cities.

14. Jersey Joe

Late set Teaser:
    I annexed Quebec. However the Canadian response was a great deal faster than I expected. Canada must have a ROP with Spain. I started fighting Canadan troops 2 turns after annexing Quebec.

After seeing that SoD, I contacted Canada and was able to sign a Peace Treaty with them.

I hope to post my Full Report later today (Sept 13, 2021).

15. Jersey Joe

Question:
    Our deal with the Maghreb (we get Gems and give Silver+ 4gpt) is about to end. Should I renew or look for a new trading partner (at least Mongols and Britain have excess Gems).

16. LKendter

Yes. Maghreb is a shorter-term target. I would rather have deals with someone far away.

17. Jersey Joe

Continuing 1250 AD: Rush Forge in Surf City. Iron Horse changed to building Temple (we have 2 need a third to unlock Islamic Community). Namp’o renamed Nampa.

IBT
    :
    Turkey asks use to remove our troops from their territory. I agree and then ask Turkey for a loan. They make a fake excuse about being in a recession and then our Clibanarii (inside Turish borders) has to kill an Invisible Unit which attacked (1, 0).

1275 AD:
    eEnslaver kills Turkish Spearman (2, 0) and we get a Great Leader. Great Leader rushes Marketplace in Nampa.

1300 AD:
    Enslaver kills Maghreb Chariot (3, 0).

1310 AD:
    Mullah kills Maghreb Catapult (4, 0).

IBT: Magheb is building Islamic Art for us. I hope they complete it.

1320 AD:
    Not wanting war with Canada, I offer them Chivalry plus a Peace Treaty in exchange for Quebec. They tell me they would be foolish to enter into this agreement. Therefore, I declare war on Canada, so we can capture Quebec.

Annexing Quebec: Clibanarii kill a Canadian Spearman (5, 0); Clibanarii killed by Chariot (5, 1); Mullah kills Chariot (6, 1). The city is added to our Republic.

1330 AD:
    Mullah kills Maghreb Warrior (7, 1); Mullah converts Warrior (8, 1).

IBT:
    Maghreb completes Islamic Art.

1340 AD:
    North of Iron Horse Saloon: Enslaver kills Canadian Spearman (9, 1); eClibanarii kill 3 Spearman (12, 1).

IBT:
    Clibanarii killed in Turkish territory by Invisible Unit (12, 2).

1350 AD:
    North of Iron Horse Saloon: Footknight killed by Canadian Pike (12, 3); eClibanarii kills Pike (13, 3); eChariot kills Spearman (14, 3); eClibanarii kills Spearman (15, 3).

1360 AD:
    North of Iron Horse Saloon: Footknight killed by Canadian Pike (15, 4); eClibanarii kills Pike (16, 4); eChariot kills Horselancer (17, 4): eClibanarii kills Horselancer (18, 4); Trebuchets kill 2 Horselancers (20, 4).

Canada gives us 73 gold and 28 gpt for a Peace Treaty. :)

IBT: Enslaver kills Maghreb Crossbow (21, 4); Enslaver killed by Crossbow (21, 5).

1370 AD: Workers work. Guards guard. War preparations begin.

IBT: We lose our deal for Gems with the Maghreb.

1380 AD: Workers work. Guards guard. War preparations continue.

Notes:
    • We need to make a trade for Gems. The Brits, Egyptians and the Mongols each have Gems for trade. Elephantium has the option to wait a turn till we learn Clockworks before trading for Gems, or trading this turn.
    • Elephantium has an attack plan in mind, so I did not move all our units. Also I left a few troops fortified. This way he can get them in position.
      • I believe the worker stack west of Iron Horse can build 1 turn roads. There is an extra slave down by Ashur who did not move this turn.
      • Most of the Clibanarii for the Iron Horse attack party are in the town 3 elites are north of the town healing. There is also a Mullah near by.
      • There is a monk fortified on the Mountain behind Ellipi.
      • The Ellipi troops are enter in the town or fortified next to it.
    • I made provision for an attack to be launched from Uruk against Pamplona. There is a road leading from Uruk through the forests to the grassland west of Pamlona. I was going to use ground troops plus all the Trebuchets. However, the Trebuchets were moved to Iron Horse when Canada started attacking over there.
    • Mooville can short rush Clibanarii.
    • Until we can plant forests, Seoul’s maximum base shields per turn is 3. Therefore it does not need shield producing buildings. Nampa is almost as bad, can get shields from a dockyard.
    See next post for screens shots and potential city site.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  18. Jersey Joe

The western section screenshot also includes a potential city site
    Eastern section:

Central Section:

Western Section:

19. Elephantium

I've got it.

Preturn (1380 AD, T161):

Research: I plan to go full-bore on Printing Press after Clocks.

Short-rushing in Mooville with Explorers is expensive (80 gpt), but it may end up being crucial.

We can train 2 Sassanid Clibanarii per turn, and we're building 1-turn rPikemen in Iron Horse Saloon. We could short-rush rClibanarii in Ellipi -- might end up doing that.

Pusan will get a Windmill in 5. With a Mine, she might be able to hit 17spt for 3-turn Sassanid Clibanarii.
    Pyonyang is at a similar level. An Admin Center or Windmill will allow 4-turn Sassanid Clibanarii.
    Cheju should easily hit 17spt on growth. Maybe even 25spt with its Windmill?
    Wonsan is at 10spt with little prospect of going much higher. Probably best to stay on buildings.
    Most of the other cities are building Harbors, Forges, etc -- not very productive yet.

Forces:
    F3 says we have 26 Sassanid Clibanarii, 5 Medieval Infantry, 5 Ilkhanid Foot Knights, 5 Trebuchet, 1 Three-Man Chariot, and 40 Islamic Pikemen.

In the western province, we have 5 Sassanid Clibanarii and enough Pikes to keep roving Holy men honest.
    Our core cities generally have 1 Pikeman each.
    Uruk has the strike force that Jersey Joe mentioned, plus one Trebuchet near at hand. That should do pretty well for Pamplona.
    Iron Horse Saloon has 8 Sassanid Clibanarii, plus three more close at hand. There aren't quite enough Islamic Pikemen for my taste, so I'm going to gather a few more in the first couple of turns.
    Ashur has 2 Sassanid Clibanarii, plus 2 Trebs, a Pike, and a Worker stack in the area. The Worker stack needs to move away from Valencia before we declare war, otherwise it will easily be picked off.
    Ellipi has the 6 Sassanid Clibanarii available that I think will be needed to strike at Santander. That will be in the opening moves of the war. Once we have the city, I'm not sure whether to build the road with the stack next to Ashur -- or maybe divert the stack near Quebec. We'll see.

The advisor says we have an average military compared to Spain, so we should expect to kill 40-50 units in their initial rush. Maybe even 60. We can't get reinforcements to Iron Horse Saloon fast enough!

20. Jersey Joe

The worker stack at Ashur can build one turn roads. This turn it built he piece of road it is. Next turn it could move over to Ellipi.
    The stack by Quebec is both building a road and irrigating. The road and irrigation should finish on the same turn.
    The worker stack by Uruk can build 1 turn roads.