LK167, Spain, CCM, Conquest victory

Not the war I wanted first...
Nubia fits easier into the empire.

Agreed!

Pre-turn:

China has nothing to trade
Italy/Rome doesn't need Furs, so...

We sell The Republic to Italy/Rome for Wines, 16gpt, and 45 gold.
We sell Furs to Britain for ... 24g.

I see that Maghreb and USA already know both Religion and Dark Ages. Austria-Hungary and Australia-Oceania both know Religion but not Dark Ages. Hopefully Dark Ages will be trade bait once it comes in.

IBT:

Italy/Rome declares on Maghreb!
Indo-China complains about our reckless troops near Hanoi. We apologize

Canada starts the Hanging Gardens
Maghreb start the Great Library
Greece starts the Hanging Gardens

1225 BC:

Workers join the mining gang at Madrid.
We start a road on the incense near Barcelona.

Alcazar and Toledo both grew; I MM them for growth.

I also short-rush the Forge in Barcelona to gain a turn.

IBT:

Barcelona completes the Forge. I have the minor irritant that, with 20spt, we lose 1 to corruption. At 21spt, we lose 2 :cry: This requires me to work a desert tile to bump us up to 23spt with 2 corruption = 21spt = 2-turn Cataphracts. This slows down growth a bit.

Austria-Hungary completes the Hanging Gardens

1200 BC: All quiet.

IBT:

Madrid produces Apprentice and Cataphract
Canada, Arabia, Maghreb, Greeks, British, Dutch join the race for the Great Library
Americans are building Worldreligion Christianity
Australia-Oceania starts the Mausoleum of Mausallos

1175 BC: Still quiet. I move our attackers towards the mountain next to Barcelona as a staging ground.

Everyone who knows Religion now has Dark Ages, unfortunately.

IBT:

Korea demands Mounted Archery. We refuse, and they declare war.

Ugh, our Scout was in their territory. He's not going to be long for this world.
On the bright side, the WH lets us put everyone to work in Barcelona!

Maghreb starts Circus Maximus

1150 BC: The Scout reveals 8 attack units headed our way from NE of Seoul, plus 2 Warriors and 2 Spearmen. I estimate 10 turns before we see their vanguard and another 5 turns before we see the bulk of their forces.

IBT: Madrid produces a Cataphract
Israel completes the Mausoleum of Mausallos
Persia starts work on the Great Library

1125 BC:

I sell Philosophy to Persia for 29 gold and 1gpt
And to France for 27 gold.
China can sell Spices, but I'm going to wait a turn and check again.

IBT:

Maghreb are building Great Library (again?) and Circus Maximus
Americans are building Worldreligion Christianity (again)

1100 BC:

A GoJoseon Spearman is in range now. The war doesn't start very well; we have one Chariot retreat and another die on spearpoint before a third kills it 1-1

IBT:

British complete Worldreligion Christianity
Persia is working on Worldreligion Islam

1075 BC: zzz...

IBT:

Nubia and Korea join the race for the Great Library
... just in time for Rome to complete it!

1050 BC:

It's very quiet. Haven't seen any more Korean troops ... yet.

IBT:
Maghreb and Rome sign peace
Lowlands complains about our scout. We promise to move out of their territory

Persia is building Worldreligion Islam (again)
Austria-Hungary is building Circus Maximus

1025 BC:

Enslaver retreats from African Archer (Nubian target of opportunity)
Enslaver kills the African Archer

I sell The Republic to Greece for 85 gold + 22gpt.

IBT: Zzz...

1000 BC:

Well, Nubia and Britain now have Dark Ages but not Religion.
We sell Furs to Maghreb for 153 gold and USA for 145 gold.
We cancel the current Furs deal (for 4 gpt) with Israel and dial up France: We can send them Furs + 1gpt for Gems.

However, I'm going to leave the final say on this trade to the team -- right now, we have enough WH that it's not pressing.

I move a Cataphract near Pyongyang and see a wounded African Archer across the river from a GoJoseon Spearman. Perhaps our rivals have been hammering on each other?

Korea still won't talk, but it's been a pretty quiet war. We could probably take Pyongyang in 4-5 turns, once we have a decent stack assembled there, but it would be tough to defend once we attack Nubia. OTOH, Greebley could work on a road in that direction and settle a town near the Cows between Alcazar de Equo Ferri and P'yongyang.

Or, we could withdraw, sign a peace for status quo antebellum, and march on Meroë...

We have three Worker crews: One is trying to road + irrigate tiles for Toledo. One can 1-turn irrigate tiles at Alcazar de Equo Ferri, and one is a pair of road builders (5 turns per tile).

We could probably stand to build 2-3 more Iberian Spearmen now that the next Settler has popped. We only have one Spearman at Madrid at the moment.
sg_43.jpg

Attachments

• LK167-1000 BC.SAV
    505.1 KB · Views: 8
I vote to build a city to get the cows (see dot map below), annex Pyongyang, and then sign a peace treaty. Pyongyang has the potential to be a highly productive city. Better we get the production than Korea.
As a bonus we get 2 new Luxury resources Gems and Silver.
Red Dot is proposed city. Black line is road to get both Luxuries. Yellow Dot is another decent city site.

WDYT about moving Red Dot onto the forest (1 NE) for the river? We lose the tile bonus of the Gems but still get the luxury.

Moving red dot will create overlap with Pyongyang. I like it where it is.

ROSTER:
LKendter (on deck)
Jersey Joe
Elephantium
Greebley (up)

There is a natural choke point in Arabella. The follow civs should not be traded with: Nubia, Korea, Lowlands and Indo-China. Let them get weak for our first conquests.

Goal is winning by conquest.

Our Lands did not change much. This shows that I built on 2 spots (red dot and green dot) Lee showed in his pictures.

Thank you. It's nice to see the size and shape of the continent when all I have is the turn reports. :)

Preturn: Trade Furs and 207 gold for Dark Ages with Austria. A few other trades for luxuries and to get our gpt to 40. Lower Lux by 10 percent.
We could buy Feudalism for about 990 gold. Religion is out of reach.

IBT: Loss to invisible unit.

975 BC: Not much

IBT: Attacked by an invisible unit and win.

950 BC: Gaining stack that could take city, but Korean units are just out of reach. Retreat vulnerable Cataphract.

IBT: Loss to invisible unit.

925 BC: I did feel I had enough units to take the AI city so I move back to join the others.

900 BC: We kill a Camel Rider and Spear/Sword that were following us, moving forward again. Killing the Spear costs us a Cataphract.

IBT: Siege Workshop complete.

875 BC: Santiago built in river spot mentioned by Elephantium with no overlap with Pyongyang. We could have bought Religion if we threw in Incense but the 2-fer available last turn is gone. Britain gained Religion too. Will see if an AI gets only one of Religion/Feudalism or wait for price to decrease.

IBT: Persia demands cash. So does Israel. We cave as I don't want another war right now.

850 BC: We advance and capture Pyongyang before Nubia does. This unfortunately leaves some units exposed to fast Chariot units I did not know about. The situation is pretty crowded.
LK167_BC 850.png

IBT: We complete school of Navigators. We lose the exposed Chariot, the other Chariots attack the Nubian horse unit.

825 BC: With 3 Workers from Pyongyang we are able to complete the road to Pyongyang.
We lose a Cataphract to a def 1 Camel Warrior.
Decide to go for peace with Korea.

800 BC: Connect Silver.
Indo china is grabbing the lucrative land north of us and moving in Chariots.

775 BC: Second Silver connected and Horses as well.
With these two connected and more than one civ having only Feudalism, we can trade for Religion. USA looks good trading Horses, Silver, and 973 gold for Religion.
I trade Religon for Feudalism with Canada.
Greeks had Religion but not Feudalism, so they will give us 16 gpt for Feudalism.
We pick up some gpt and Bodkin Arrows from Persia.
Lowlands will give us 14 gpt for Republic which I don't mind them having. Similar with Indochina who give us 19 gpt.
We also trade for Coffee.

IBT: Korea builds Worldreligion Buddhism.

750 BC: Enslaver gains another worker from an Indochina Archer.

Notes:
I was thinking the mountain near Alcazar de Equo Ferri would be a good launch spot for a Nubian War, so roading it. Two units next to it are waiting for the road to finish before moving there.
LK167_BC 750b.png

I have not moved the offensive units back home yet. We will want the Border expansions. Decided to starve the city to something smaller because a flip would be bad.
LK167_BC 750a.png

Attachments

• LK167_750BC.SAV
    537.5 KB · Views: 5
Got it.

Don't like Indo-China city behind our lines...

750 BC (0)
I ship Britain furs for $53 and $5/T.
I give Israel furs, $736 and $32/T for chivalry.
The civs are all pushing the north part of the tech trade for the next age. I begin research on navigation.
Toledo switches to School of Divinity for holy man, and another city with barracks.

We are playing reputation roulette right now. If Pyongyang flips our silver source is gone, and we break the deal with USA.
(IT) Israel establishes and embassy.
Persia completes their unique wonder.

730 BC (1)
I just spotted a Korean city behind our lines. The AI civs are starting to steal our backfill spots.

710 BC (2)
:sleep:

690 BC (3)
I just spotted a new Nubian city near Toledo.
The tech leaders now have navigation. :(
(IT) Persia completes world religion Islam.

670 BC (4)
A Korean archer joined our worker crew.
(IT) Scandinavia declares war on Maghreb.
Italy completes Hagia Sophia.

650 BC (5)
:sleep:

630 BC (6)
A Nubian archer declines to join our worker crew.
(IT) A Cataphract goes elite defending against an enslaver.
Austria completes Circus Maximus.

610 BC (7)
A Nubian warrior declines to join our worker crew.
(IT) I hate to do it, but I give USA $20.

590 BC (8)
An elite Nubian warrior declines to join our worker crew.
(IT) Palace Guard is completed.

570 BC (9)
A Nubian donkey cart declines to join our worker crew.
One of our GPT deals must have ran out.
It is on the low side, but I give China monarchy for $20 and $7/T.
(IT) USA declares war on the British.
Our source of spices and gems went away.

550 BC (10)
The lost gems don't matter. I just completed the road for our source.

I give Canada chivalry for $22 and $23/T.
I give Maghreb furs for $170.
I give USA furs for $145.
I give Austria furs for $129.

I use up some of that gold to upgrade spears to pikes.

[End of session 1]

Our next clan just arrived. It is time to claim grey dot before an AI steals it. More gems are a good thing. The two visible pikes are heading toward that spot. The stack on the plains is building a road, than irrigation. The goal will be to water to gray dot.

Royal Tournament completes in 2 turns. I expect us to get it, as the AI never seems to build that wonder.

I hope to get Madrid to 1 turn pikes once that forest is mined. We badly need pikes toward the Korea front.
I have some fast units moving toward barracks for upgrades.

Nubia is moving a lot of weak troops through our lands. Keep an eye out for worker targets. If nothing else, this is giving us a chance to kill off some Nubian troops.

ROSTER:
LKendter
Jersey Joe (up)
Elephantium (on deck)
Greebley

There is a natural choke point in Arabella. The follow civs should not be traded with: Nubia, Korea, Lowlands and Indo-China. Let them get weak for our first conquests.

Goal is winning by conquest.

Attachments

• LK167-550BC.SAV
    583.8 KB · Views: 7
We may want to move white dot one square NE so that we can also have a town next to the crab and horses that will pick up the other pig and anchor. That second town won't overlap if we do that.

We could also consider moving north to grab that extra iron. Iron would trade for more than 2 gems and is in more danger from the AI taking it

You can't settle on desert in CCM IIRC. That cancels moving white northward.

Top Bottom