LK168, Greece, Sid Attempt

Pre-turn: Move 1 Cataphract onto the Enslaver in the north
I'm a little anxious about the unprotected Worker gangs, particularly near Delphi. I'm going to build a handful of Pikes for guard duty.

Sliders are at 8.0.2, but the max is 70% for any one slider. I move lux to 30% to compensate. We're now at 41gpt.

I cancel our Gems deal with Brazil and dial up Austria-Hungary. They give us 172 gold for it, straight up.

We get Gems and Elephants back in 4 turns, so we should have some more possible trades then.

IBT:

Japan complains about our ship. We apologize.

War Elephant suicides on our Cataphract on the Enslaver tile 1-0
The Golden Spear moves NW, bypassing the space.

sg_134.jpg

1340 AD:

Byzantium is now producing 1-turn Knights

We meet Britain with the southern ship. They're up all the techs we can see, have Spices and Furs, plus Incense, Elephants, and Hardwood, and they have 8 gold. We can trade maps with them, but they won't accept a straight-up trade.

IBT: Scandinavia declares war on Spain!

1350 AD:

We lose 1 elite Ballista taking out a stack of 4 Indochinese units at the front. I notice the Ballista has a rather slow death animation @Civinator 5-1

Arabia has lots of gold, but Britain has resources. I'm thinking of making the deal with Britain, then seeing if Arabia will sweeten the pot. Thoughts?

Britain gives us their TM, 16gpt, and 19 gold for our WM.
Arabia gives us TM + 446 gold for our WM.

We need to amass about 3500 gold to have a shot at Theology...gulp.

IBT:

Britain and Southern Africa complain about our ships. We apologize.
Korea establishes an embassy with us.
South Africa is building Cape of Good Hope.

1360 AD:

The siege of Rangoon begins!
Byzantine Knight retreats
BK kills Golden Spearman 6-1
BK kills War elephant 7-1
BK dies to War elephant 7-2
Cataphract narrowly kills War elephant 8-2
Cataphract dies 8-3
Cataphract kills Golden Spearman 9-3
Elite Cataphract dies ... vs. Enslaver? :mad: :wallbash: 9-4
Cataphract kills Enslaver 10-4

sg_136.jpg

Enslaver dies to Angkor Swordsman :wallbash: 10-5
Achilles finishes him off. 11-5

IBT:
Indochinese catapult dies against one of our Hoplites in the field 12-5
Riots break out as resistance ends in Rangoon!

Maghreb complete Galileo's University (Physics)

1370 AD:

Byzantine Cataphract kills a stray Golden Spearman 13-5

IBT: War elephant retreats from our Pike

1380 AD:

Byzantine Knight kills war elephant 14-5

We can technically afford to buy Theology, but the price is too high for now.

After a pause for discussion, I move the Settler towards the red dot.

IBT:

War elephant kills our Hoplite 14-6
Rangoon deposes us, and it looks like we lose two units

South American completes Christianization (Cuzco)
South Africa completes Cape of Good Hope.

1390 AD:

Knight kills War Elephant 15-6

Second Siege of Rangoon:
Two Byzantine Footknights kill Golden Spearmen 17-6
The city is ours once again.

We meet Poland! They're up the usual techs, have no spare resources, would buy Gems if we had any to spare, and can trade WMs.

We sell them our WM for their TM, 14gpt, and 127 gold.

Checking for deals...
Arabia: Theology for WM, Iron, Elephants, Gems, 53gpt, 776 gold.
Britain: Theology for WM, Iron, Gems, 40gpt, 777 gold.

I'm going to hold off one more turn so that I'm trading after we get Bien Hoa's iron.

IBT:

Poland complains about our ship. We apologize.
War elephant retreats from our Pike.

1400 AD:

Siege of Bien Hoa:
Two Catapults kill Golden Spearmen 19-6
Elite Cataphract kills Angkor Swordsman 20-6

sg_139.jpg

Ajax kills Angkor Swordsman 21-6

Elite Enslaver dies to redlined War Elephant :wallbash: 21-7
A second Enslaver finishes him off. 22-7
Byzantine Cataphract dies to War Elephant 22-8

Byzantine Knight kills Golden Spearman 23-8
Byzantine Knight kills War Elephant 24-8

I buy Theology from Britain for WM, Iron, Gems, 39gpt, and 591 gold.
India gives us Alchemy and 20 gold for Theo! :cool:
Nubia gives us Engineering, 18gpt, and 142 gold for Theo + Alchemy.

New trade landscape: Six civs have Gunpowder, Navigation, Renaissance, Sacred Art, and Clockworks.
Five more lack only Clockworks.
Korea lacks Sacred Art.
Brazil and India lack Renaissance.

We can't afford Clockworks quite yet, but there's a VERY nice trade chain available here!

IBT:

War Elephant dies to our Hoplite. 25-8
Resistance in Bien Hoa ends.
Ancient Naval Explorer ... sinks? D'oh! I thought they were safe to explore. Oops, they're only safe in coast and sea tiles.

1410 AD:

Enslaver kills Angkor Swordsman 26-8
Move a big stack of units towards Phnom Penh

IBT:

Japan complains about our ship. We apologize.

Chariot dies to our Knight 27-8
War Elephant dies to our Knight 28-8
War Elephants then kill three of our Knights 28-11
Indochina also lands an Angkor Swordsman next to Rangoon.

Moscow completes Kremlin which comes with Ballistics.
Israel has officially entered Age of Discovery.

1420 AD:

Enslaver kills Angkor Swordsman 29-11
Byzantine Knight kills War Elephant 30-11

Battle of Phnom Penh:
Two Knights kill Golden Spearmen 32-11

sg_140.jpg

Cleanup of stray units:
Byzantine Knight kills War Elephant on a mountain 33-11
Mycenean Chariot kills redlined War Elephant 34-11

We meet Italy/Rome. They have every tech we know about and can trade WMs (so can Spain and South Africa now).

Hey, Israel and Egypt have Navigation now!
Egypt gives us Navigation, 1gpt, and 73 gold for Theology

Map trading:
Spain gets 123 gold
Southern Africa gives us 35 gold
Italy/Rome gives us their Furs, 14gpt, and 153 gold for the swap!
Arabia gives us 113 gold
Britain gives us Spices, 34gpt, and 155 gold!
Poland gives us 22gpt
Second round to Spain nets us another 58gpt + 16 gold

Southern Africa gives us Clockworks in exchange for our WM, Incense, Elephants, Gems, 112gpt, and 921 gold
Turkey gives us Sacred Art and Gunpowder for Clockworks

We have Saltpeter next to Rangoon!

Nubia buys Sacred Art for 16gpt and 68 gold

Sell Clocks:
Inca gives us 3472 gold
Brazil gives us 73gpt and 145 gold
Scandinavia gives us 46gpt and 100 gold
Korea gives us 41gpt amd 390 gold

Italy/Rome sells us Printing Press for our WM, 248gpt, and 1228 gold
Inca buys Printing Press+our WM with their WM and 5782 gold
Turkey gives us Naval Guns for our WM, Printing Press, and 499 gold
Scandinavia gives us Renaissance+WM for Printing Press+our WM
Japan gives us 21gpt and 39 gold for our WM
Austria-Hungary gives us their WM, 2gpt, and 20 gold for our WM.
Southern Africa, Italy/Rome, and Arabia each give us 132 gold for our WM

Another round of WM trading gets us Gold (the strategic resource), plus 12gpt and 660 gold

We still can't buy Exploration. I estimate that we're only ~250 gold short :(

IBT:

Two War Elephants die attacking our Cataphracts 36-11
Spain and Inca sign peace.
Turks start building Topkapi Palace

1430 AD:

Mycenae founded between Argos and Rangoon

Attack on Angkor:
Knight retreats
Knight dies vs. Golden Spearman 36-12
Knight retreats
Knight kills War Elephant 37-12
Cataphract retreats
Cataphract kills Golden Spearman 38-12
Cataphract kills Golden Spearman 39-12
Cataphract kills Golden Spearman 40-12
Cataphract kills Golden Spearman 41-12...

sg_141.jpg

Enslaver captures Angkor Swordsman 42-12
Enslaver captures Angkor Swordsman 43-12

We meet the Maghreb! They're up Humanism and Exploration, have 60k gold, and are willing to give us 662 gold to swap WMs.

Offering our updated WM to everyone...we pick up 17gpt + 290 gold
We also sell Sacred Art to Egypt for their WM, 21gpt, and 33 gold.
And Hardwood+WM to Arabia for 120 gold.

Poland sells us Exploration for our WM, Gems, 44gpt, 9997
Turkey gives us Humanism and 376 gold for Exploration
Inca gives us Physics for our WM, Exploration, and 269 gold

Now Britain is up Free artistry
Spain is up Free Artistry and Medicine
Poland, Maghreb, and Arabia know Free Artistry, Medicine, Jurisprudence, and Mercantilism.

Nobody knows Ballistics??! Unfortunately, it will take 43 turns @ 70% research. We're going to end up trading for it.

Handoff notes:

The war is going well. We've captured 4 cities, including the Indochinese capital. There are forces in place to attack Mandalay next turn. Vientiane and/or Hanoi are both accessible, but it will take another turn or two to consolidate our forces.

Counterattacks have generally been pretty light, but don't get complacent. I've been surprised at the number of War Elephants running around every time I've seen them.

There's a Worker stack S of Sparta that's working on roading Saltpeter. They can irrigate Pharsalos once that's done.

The Workers near Mycenae are headed towards Knossos to make a consolidated stack, but they could just as easily start irrigating at Argos.

The boat by Japan should probably head towards Russia (east along the coast, then south into the bay).

The boat along the south coast near Italian territory should probably head towards Dutch territory.

sg_142.jpg

sg_143.jpg

And here's the science screen:

sg_144.jpg

Attachments

• LK168-1430AD.SAV
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Also, thank you everyone for the extensive discussion around trades. This was a killer turnset, largely due to all the support you gave regarding proposed tech and WM trades :D

WOW! 13 techs in trade :bowdown: :clap::worship:
Looks like the trade for Clockworks really paid off.

So far buying and selling tech is keeping us close to the tech leaders. We need to build Banks for more income. In the future we are going to need to self research (or steal what techs we need.

We need to start thinking about who our next targets might be and avoid trading with them. Maybe Brazil or Nubia?

Byzantium needs attention to keep being able to produce 1 turn mounted troops.

It is nice to see Indo-China cities falling.

I can't believe maps become our salvation this age with technology. It was a great trading round. I'm glad to see you did the multiple rounds of map trading trick. It really helped out. With having printing press, we can now trade maps with the world for every scrap of money out there. I'd like to start being able to use some of that cash to upgrade our troops.

With Rangoon being a saltpeter source, I am really glad we went toward Indo-China first. Once Indo-China is 100% conquered we have more stuff to trade. It sounds like we still have NOT gotten to their elephants source. We need to keep finding anything to trade to stay in the game.

The one scary comment was: "Nobody knows Ballistics??! Unfortunately, it will take 43 turns @ 70% research."
There are six cities left to wipe out Indo-China. After that we need to take break and get science and money multipliers going. Cultural buildings are also badly needed to reduce flip risk.

Our city count is up to 13 now. That puts us above a decent number of the civs. The scary one is Britain at 30 cities. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

This one is by no means won, but the tech situation is way better that during my set. The empire size is growing. More civs have to fall to us to keep competing.

ROSTER:
LKendter (on deck)
Jersey Joe
Elephantium
Greebley (up)

I just caught a VERY scary thing looking at MapStat. We have NO space iron source. Did we trade away our iron from Indo-China? If so, we have the risk of not being able to build troops if that source flips.
I hope that doesn't mean our trade rep is at risk.

I just caught a VERY scary thing looking at MapStat. We have NO space iron source. Did we trade away our iron from Indo-China? If so, we have the risk of not being able to build troops if that source flips.
I hope that doesn't mean our trade rep is at risk.
I think what would happen is that we would be the civ without Iron and our trade obligations would be fulfilled. It would be a minor annoyance, because as soon as we recaptured Bien Hoa we would have Iron again.

Yep, if Bien Hoa or Rangoon flip again, we lose Iron (and Saltpeter in the case of Rangoon).

I left 5 attackers next to Bien Hoa as an insurance policy. I don't have a dedicated stack next to Rangoon, but a quick look at the save shows 7 attackers in range (plus 3 Enslavers). It will be worth it to keep ~4 Knights/Cataphracts next to Rangoon until we've eliminated Indochina.

Next target should def be Nubia. They're in easy striking range from Indochina while Brazil is .... count it, 23 tiles away from Pharsalos.

Hmm, OTOH, that means that we'll have a tricky defense against Nubia vs. having 3 turnsets after declaring war to kill Brazil's field army. :think:

I'll try and comment on next target on my set. Greebley needs time to finish up Indo-China. In addition, we badly need a round or two of buildings.
I can't recall to map enough to see if totally backwards civs like Persia and China are nearby.

Persia and China are both on the other continent, sectors B-6 and B-7 on the minimap grid.

Looking at F8, Spain actually seems lower strength than Brazil! :confused:

WOW, I didn't expect Indo-China to fall that fast. That insane stack I got must have most of there troops. The had nothing let of produce with.

That insane stack I got must have most of there troops. The had nothing let of produce with
I agree, their assault on us plus Elephantium capturing their original Capital opened them up.
Greebley did a very good job of not giving them a chance to recover. :goodjob:

We should consider rushing the Christian Communities in Bankok and Vientiane to get their borders to expand faster.

Preturn: Decide we have sufficient offense for IndoChina as they are weak compared to us. I switch units to town clock or windmill.
Indochina doesn't have elephants in their territory. It may be a trade that would run out at some point.

IBT: Two elephants attack our Caraphact. We get good RNG and win both.

1440 AD: Capture Mandalay. Our stack can also reach Hanoi and we leave a red-lined Spear on top so not quite enough.
Send a stack toward vientiane.

1450 AD: Capture Hanoi. Vientiane has only 2 defenders and is captured easily. Start setting up units for Saigon the Capital next. There are two more towns beyond that.
Byzantium will build Muskets (done with clock). With a single defender, our cities might fall to invisible unit that we wouldn't be able to get back without war. I defend most towns but now Worker stacks are at risk. Once we have a enough I will switch to gold and science buildings.
Note that two-fers would be available, but we don't have enough to buy them

IBT: Bien Hoa flips. Rare for a size 2 city to flip.

1460 AD: Capture back Bien Hoa which is now size 1. We lost the christian community we had with only 2 culture.

1470 AD: Saigon falls with some losses.

1480 AD: Capture Bankok and Da Nada. Indochina is eliminatedl

1490 AD: Able to trade to a bunch of civs for Exploration and Renaisanse. This finally gives us enough gold to try to get some tech.
Mercantilism for WM, 550 gpt, 1871 gold from Poland.
We get Ballistics and 40 gpt for Mercantilism from Inca
We get Medicine for Mercantilism, gems, 582 gold and 81 gpt. from Spain.
We get Jurisprudence, 5 gold, WM for medicine and Mercantilism from the Brittish.
Juriprudence gets us Bastion Fortifications from the Inca.
Spain has free Artistry but not Juriprudence but we don't have enough for the trade. I decide to trade away Juriprudence for 161 gpt and 589 gold (from our previous trade).
I was considering Spain to be a possible next candidate (their war weakened them), but the trade above removes them for 20 turns from the running. Nubia seems the best target due to proximity in any case.
So Poland, Magreb, and Arabia have all 3 possible tech; maybe more. Britain and Spain have just free artistry over us.

1500 AD: Started upgrading some troops.

1510 AD: Turkey gets their unique wonder.

1520 AD: Trade our map and old tech for about 300 gpt.

Notes:

Stopped at turn 175.

We could barely afford Fossil Energy so I didn't think we could complete a 2-fer (free artistry by itself for Britain). Gold and Science seemed nearly the same in reducing the price of fossil Energy, but since we have a bank and Market building next turn, I went with gold. Science will be more efficient when we have more observatories and universities. Maybe try again in 1-3 turns or if we can get more gpt for the deal.

Mandalay isn't able to support 6 population (starving) so it is on all scientists. [Note that a starving city gets both the science and then the shields after starvation at the cost of one popuation when you set to all scientists beforehand - capture several size 20+ cities starting at 80+ science a turn (-4 as pop decreases) can be a big boon as they starve down to normal size)].
Capital is 10 happy and 10 unhappy so building a theatre to fix. It also needs another unit which Delphi is building (more musketeers) for more buffer against loss of a luxury.

For new cities I think closing the gap between us and Spain will work (or maybe Mongol Tabriz). There are some bonus resource squares we can get as well.

I think Nubia will be our next target. No other civ is close to our territory.
LK168_AD1520.png

Attachments

• LK168-1520AD.SAV
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Got it

1520 AD (0)
I turn the science slider to 70%. Fossil energy needs 29 turns. More science buildings are barely needed for when we hit the end of the age, and no 2+ for 1 trading available.

More military is also needed. I agree with Greebley that it is time to get two defenders per city in the core. In addition, a lot of the former Indo-China cities have fast units for defenders. They should be at the next front of Nubia. Unless forced, I don't plan to start the war with Nubia during my set.

I only pick up some pocket change from our maps.

1530 AD (1)
I ship gems to Maghreb for $281. I appreciate the money to upgrade our troops.
Maghreb and Arabia sign a peace treaty.
(IT) 4 Nubian pikes get next to one of our cities. I hope that isn't a sign of trouble.

1540 AD (2)
I give Poland $515/T for fossil energy. We have coal by Byzantium. :dance: :dance: :dance:
I am very disappointed that I can't get free artistry from Spain or Britain. That was major cash down the drain without getting a two for one deal.

1550 AD (3)
(IT) Something invisible from Nubia killed a cruisier.

1560 AD (4)
It feels weird to be this late in the game, and to still be happy to get a supply shipment.

1570 AD (5)
I collect scraps for our world map.
I am happy to find Turkey gives us $136 for world map. The also give $41/T for jurisprudence.
I give Korea jurisprudence for $35 and $44/T.
I don't know why so many civs suddenly have cash. I give Persia world map for $106 and $34/T.
I give Brazil jurisprudence for $40 and $32/T.
This finally lets me get free artistry from Spain for fossil energy, $1900 and $196/T. :) :) :)
I ship Israel naval guns for $100 and $65/T.

1580 AD (6)
Scandinavia gives us $70 and $39/T for physics.
I collect more scraps of income for world map.

1590 AD (7)
It isn't much, but I give Persia chivalry for $20 and $12/T.
(IT) I lost another cruisier to an invisible Nubian unit.

1600 AD (8)
(IT) Supreme Court is completed.

1605 AD (9)
Two workers appear near our enslaver. I manage to capture one.

I kill a mullah that I am sure was from Nubia.

Our iron is available to trade again. I like the fact the Nubia needs it. That hopefully makes them a little weaker. I ship it to Arabia for $938. I also give them gems for $203.

I give Egypt clockworks for $35 and $30/T.

I give backwards Persia theology for $29 and $7/T.
(IT) The Maghreb are building Code Civil. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
That is from Napoleonic Age. We are still clearly behind the tech leaders.

1610 AD (10)
I give Italy free artistry to get furs and $218.
I ship Brazil gems for $74 and $6/T.
I give Israel clockworks for $40 and $18/T.
I give India printing press for $50 and $32/T.
I give Japan jurisprudence for $68 and $128/T.
I give Korea ballistics for $50 and $47/T.

Top Bottom