LK168, Greece, Sid Attempt

Summary:
I've built a decent amount of muskets. The core now has 2 units a city. A bunch of them are walking toward former Indo-China. There are still cities defended with fast units. In addition, we need occupying troops for when we take out Nubia.

I've done a mix of buildings. I'm trying to get the luxury slider to 0%. It is down to 10% with Athens hiring 2 clowns. I'm also trying to improve income and science. I want courts everywhere since they gain 1 happy and a token income improvement. Former Indo-China still needs a lot of shield boosting buildings.

I've made decent progress on upgrading troops in former Indo-China. There is still a decent amount to upgrade.

My proposed city site. The settler is heading that way. There are decent number of grassland tiles. It gains badly needed trade bait with another saltpeter source. Anything that gives us more to trade is good. That is going to be the key to keeping up in tech. It also gets us a bit closer to Spain. We need to start thinking post Nubia conquest.

ROSTER:
LKendter
Jersey Joe (up)
Elephantium (on deck)
Greebley

Attachments

• LK168-1610AD.SAV
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
I got it.
I was going to say this is a good time to declare war on Nubia. However, I see we have a trade with them. We are currently receiving 2 gold /turn from Nubia this will last for another 10 turns..
Question: Do we take a reputation hit if I tell Nubia I they do not have to pay us 2 gold / turn anymore? Seems to me that should help our reputation because we are being benevolent. :mischief:

Is the lone Musketeer standing on the proposed city site?

I was going to say this is a good time to declare war on Nubia. However, I see we have a trade with them. We are currently receiving 2 gold /turn from Nubia this will last for another 10 turns..

I wasn't planning on Nubia anytime soon. The musket parade is just arriving at there borders. That is why we are getting $2/T from them.
Based on the crazy stacks from Indo-China, I want defenders up by the front.

I agree with preparing a bit more before war. I'm assuming Nubia can throw 100 units at each of our border cities...even if the mix is 60 Longbows, 30 Pikemen, and 10 mounted units, that's still going to hurt.

Also, there are still units to upgrade near Nubian borders.

To also answer your question, you do not take a reputation hit unless you are giving back something per turn. You can declare war and will just lose the 2 gpt you were getting.

You can also check the power graph to see where Nubia stands. For example, I was able to observe Spain's war with the Vikings dropped them to 'average' compared to us. It should tell you if Nubia still has military strength greater than ours. Behind us in tech and greater strength means a large number of lesser unit.

We have a source of Coal east of Knossos, that could in the far future be in Knossos reaches 1000 culture be within its borders. One piece of road and a slave sacrificed to build a colony and we have some nice trade bait.
I hate giving up a slave, but it might be worth while. Any opinions?

IIRC the AI doesn't value coal that much.

IIRC the AI doesn't value coal that much.
Okay, I just like giving just neighbors a chance to build railroads. ;) The slave will just have to continue to help build mines.

This turn set might be starting like my last one. Through the careful use of spy craft :rolleyes: I was able to glean some information about Nubian troops:

A few of them moved into sight just after I hit enter to begin my first turn.
Spoiler at the border :

All wimpy stuff, but the volume is nasty.
I hope that doesn't mean Nubia is about to attack. I didn't have the forces to deal with that much at the borders yet...

All wimpy stuff, but the volume is nasty.
I hope that doesn't mean Nubia is about to attack. I didn't have the forces to deal with that much at the borders yet...
Wimpy stuff maybe, but It is better than what Indochina had.
I did a round of trading and picked up Steam Power, Economics, and Absolutism. So given 2-3 turns, I can upgrade our mounted troops to Hussars.
Bad news is we are still 4 techs behind. The Poles and Arabs have just started to build Code Civic so it is likely they just started to study Industrialization.

Late turn set summary:
Well, Nubia declared war on us.
I was defending pretty much like during my last turns set.
In between 1635 AD and 1640 Ad Nubia offered to make peace. I thought I had the advantage so declined the offer.
I was surprised when Nubia followed up with a second wave of troops larger than the first wave that I took a picture of.
At one point I considered asking for the teams opinion of signing a peace treaty.
However, like Indochina, Nubia did not attack to much they just tried to march past us and deeper into our territory.
It took a few turns, trading for Enlightenment, and selling techs for a sizable amount of gold but I have managed to gain the upper hand.
It is now 1655AD. Our troops have killed over 200 enemy regiments.
In 1660AD I intend to kill off another 20 or so regiments and leave it to Elephantium to clean up the remaining enemy stragglers and begin annexing Nubian lands.

I intend to file a full report later today (Dec 9).

Wow, that sounds like a really hairy turn! :eek:

I won't be able to play this weekend. @Greebley, a swap would be good. Otherwise I can get to it early next week, definitely by Wednesday.

Sounds like my worse fears of a war came true. I was really hoping to get more buildings done in the game. We can't do 100% war and keep up with tech. In addition, I still hadn't march much in the way of defense units to that front. I concentrate on true Greek cities first.

OTOH it sounds like you managed a crazy set. Looking forward to the full report.

Continuing 1610 AD:
MM some cities. Switch Pharsalos to building a Hospital.

IBT:
The Poles and Arabs start building on Code Civil

A few Nubian troops show up at our mutual border. (see above screen shot)

1615 AD:
Trade Medicine to Brazil-Portugal for their Word Map, 126 gold and 117 gpt.
Trade our World Map, Elephants, Gold ore, 2414 gold, and 454 gpt to the Maghreb for Steam Power.
Trade Fossil Energy to Italy/Rome for their World Map, 130 gold and 77 gpt.
Trade Steam Power our World Map, Gems, 130 gold, 137 gpt to Britain for Economics and Spices.
Trade Humanism to Egypt for their World Map, 12 gold and 21 gpt.
Trade Fossil Energy to S. Africa for their World Map, 80 gold and 54 gpt.
Trade Navigation to China for their World Map, 26 gold and 8 gpt.
Trade Navigation to Persia for their World Map, 14 gold and 4 gpt.
Trade Medicine to Austria Hungary for their World Map and 11 gpt.
I renegotiate our trade for Tobacco with Mongol-Khanates. We do not give them Gems and 88 gpt. Instead, we trade them Medicine for Tobacco, Gold ore, and 35 gold.
Trade gems to Poland for their World Map and 211 gold.
Trade Medicine to Scandinavia for their World Map, 27 gold and 154 gpt
Trade Exploration to Israel for their World Map, 26 gold and 9 gpt.
Trade Steam and Iron to the Inca for Absolutism. (I could have paid a lump sum of 387 but I will need that gold for to upgrade our mounted troops to Hussars).
We trade out World Map to the Maghreb for 5 gold

IBT:
The Nubians declare war on us.
We lose 3 Cuirassier and kill 3 Ansar Warriors, 2 Camel Musketeers, and 2 Horseacher (7, 3) in their initial attack. :mad:

1620 AD:
West northwest to north of Bangkok: Cuirassier kills Horsearcher (8, 3); Cannon kill 2 Firelancers (10, 3); Cuirassier kills Firelancer (11, 3); Cannon kills Crossbow (12, 3); Cuirassier kill Horsearcher (13, 3); Footknight kills Pike (14, 3); Chariots kill 2 Camel Musketeers (16, 3); Knight of the Realm kills Horsearcher (17, 3); Cataphart kills Horsearcher (18, 3); Cuirassier kills Anwar Warrior ( 19, 3); Cannon kills Camel Musketeer (20, 3); Cannon kills Horsearcher (21, 3); Cuirassier kills Horseacher (22, 3).

Trade Hardwood to Arabia for 547 gold.
Trade Steam Power to Italy/Rome for 16 gold and 92 gpt.
Trade Medicine to Egypt for 34 gold and 10 gpt.
Trade Alchemy to China for 16 gold and 4 gpt.
Trade Free Artistry to Korea for 29 gold and 5 gpt.
Trade Free Artistry to Austria-Hungary for 13 gold and 6 gpt.
Trade Free Artistry to Japan for 53 gold and 14 gpt.
Trade incense to Scandinavia for 10 gold and 5 gpt.
Trade Free Artistry to Israel for 15 gpt.
Trade Free Artistry to Mongol-Khanates for 20 gpt.
Trade Hardwood to Brazil-Portugal for 14 gold and 1 gpt

IBT:
Defending our territory, we lose a Musketeer, a Footknight, a Cataphart, a Knight and a Cuirassier; while killing an Invisible Unit, a Camel Musketeer and a Bombard and Medieval Infantry (26, 8).

1625 AD:
Defending Bangkok; Chariot kills Horsearcher and blitz kills another Horseacher (28, 8) we get a Great Leader. :high5:
Cannon kills Horsearcher (29, 8); Cannon kills Firelancer (30, 9); Knight of the Realm kills Horse Archer (31, 9); Cannons kill 2 Horsearchers (33, 9); Cuirassier kill 3 Horsearchers (36, 9); Cuirassier kill 2 Donkey Carts (38, 9).

Defending Bien Hoa: Two (2) Knights of the Realm using blitz attacks kill 4 Horsearchers (42, 9); Enslaver kills Horsearcher (43, 9); Medieval kills Donkey Cart (44, 9); Enslaver kills Donkey Cart (45, 9).

North of Bangkok: Cuirassier kills Firelancer (46, 9); Cuirassier kill 4 Numidian Mercenaries (50, 9); Cuirassier kill 3 Longbowman (53, 9);

Trade Physics to Israel for 36 gold and 14 gpt.

IBT:
Nubia just moves troops and does not attack us. :hmm:

Maghreb complete Code Civil.

1630 AD:
Great Leader rushes a Hospital in Rangoon.

Defending Vientiane: Cuirassier kills Horseacher (54, 9); Hussar tries to attack a Horseacher but kills an Invisible Unit (55, 9); Hussar kills Ansar Warrior (56, 9); Enslaver kills Horseacher (57, 9); Enslaver captures Numidian Mercenary (58, 9).

Defending Bangkok: Hussar kills Crossbow (59. 9); Enslaver kills Crossbow (60, 9); Cannon kills Longbow (61, 9); Cannons kill 2 Medieval Catapults (63, 9); Cuirassier kills Medieval Catapult (64, 9); Hussars kill 3 Siege-Bows (67, 9); Hussar kills Longbowman (68, 9).

IBT:
Once again Nubia moves troops around but does not attack. :whew:

Israel and Scandinavia sign a peace treaty.

1635 AD:
Neutral territory north of Saigon: Hussars kill 4 Horseachers (72, 9); Hussar kills Donkey Cart (73, 9); Chariot kills Donkey Cart (74, 9); Knight of the Realm kills Donkey Cart (75, 9) and we get a Great Leader.
Great Leader rushes an Observatory in Rangoon.
Missionary kills a Donkey Cart (76, 9); Hussar kills Horseacher (77, 9); Cuirassier kills Firelancer (78, 9); Cannon kill 2 Crossbowmen (80, 9); Enslaver kills Numidian Mercenary (81, 9); Hussars kill 2 Horseachers (83, 9); Hussars kill 3 Donkey Carts (86, 9);

Near Vientiane: Hussars kill 2 Horseachers (88, 9); Hussar kills a Donkey Cart (89, 9)

Near Bien Hoa: Hussar kills Longbowman (90, 9); Knight of the Realm kills Longbow man (91, 9) and we get a Great Leader.

IBT:
Nubia wants to make peace. They will not give me all their cities so the war continues. :dunno:

1640 AD:
Great Leader builds a University in Knossos.

Defending Vientiane: Hussars kill 2 Longbow (93, 9); Enslaver captures Longbow (94, 9); Cannon kills Firelancer (95, 9);Hussar kills Horsearher (96, 9); Cannon kills Bombard (97, 9); Hussar kills Bombard (98, 9); Knight of the Realm kills Horseacher (99, 9); Hussars kill 2 Camel Musketeers (101, 90.)

IBT:
We lose our supple of Wine. We renegotiate with Japan. We trade Ballistics to Japan for Wine, 54 gold and 100 gpt.

Near Vientiane: Medieval Infantry killed by Nubian Medieval Infantry (101, 10); Hussar kills Ansar Warrior (102, 10);

1645 AD:
Trade our World Map, 963 gold and 639 gpt to Maghreb for Naval Power.
Trade Naval Power, Gems, 1 gold and 114 gpt to Spain for Enlightenment.
Trade Naval Power to Britain for World Map, Hardwood, 50 gold, 222 gpt.
Trade Steam Power to S. Africa for 3777 gpt.
Trade Free Artistry to Egypt for 45 gold and 28 gpt
Trade Renassance to China for World Map, 30 gold and 47 gpt.
Trade Alchemy to Persia for World Map, 43 gold and 2 gpt.
Trade Physics to Austria-Hungary for 10 gold and 43 gpt.
Trade Fossil Eneergy to Turkey for World Map, 89 gold and 50 gpt.
Trade Medicine to India for 83 gold and 37 gpt.
Trade Ballistics to Israel for 32 gold and 31 gpt.
Trade Fossil Eneergy to Brazil for 60 gold and 26 gpt.
We Trade Economics to Inca/ S. America for 14 gpt
Sell our World map to Maghreb for 20 gold.
Sell our World map to Poland for 31 gold.

Defending Vientiane: Hussar kills Firelancer (103. 10); Musketeer kills Firelancer (104, 10); Enslaver kills Medieval Infantry (105, 10); Knight of the Realm kills Longbow (106, 10); Medieval Infantry kills Firelancer (107, 10); Hussars kill 3 Firelancers (110, 10); Knight of the Realm Blitz kills 2 Firelancers (112, 10) and gets a Great Leader.
Hussar kills Firelancer (113, 10); Hussar kills Longbow (114, 10); Enslaver captures Longbow (115, 10); Hussars kill 2 Firelancers (117, 10); Musketeer kills Numidian Mercenary (118, 10); FootKnight killed by Numidian Mercenary (118, 11); Hussars kill 3 Firelancers (121, 11); Musketeers kill 2 Numidian Mercenaries (123, 11); Musketeer killed by Numidian Mercenary (123, 12); Hussars kill 2 Numidian Mercenaries (125, 12); Musketeer kills a Numidian Mercenary (126, 12); Enslaver captures Numedian Mercenary (127, 12); Hussar kills Longbow (128, 12); Musketeer kills Firelancer (129, 12).

IBT:
Maghreb and Poland sign peace treaty.

Outside the Fortifications of Vientiane, there are 73 Nubian regiments trying to find the courage to attack :crazyeye: , but only a single unit of Camel Musketeers attacks the fortified city. Our Musketeers kill that brave unit. (130, 12).
At an outpost on the hill northwest of Vientiane, our Medieval Infantry kills a Mullah (131, 12).

1650 AD:
Great Leader rushes Stock Exchange in Argos.

Defending Saigon, Cannon kills Nubian Bombard (132, 12).

Northwest of Vientiane Enslaver captures a Horsearcher (133, 12) and we get a Great Leader.
Medieval Infantry kills Longbow (134, 12).
Hussar kills Firelancer (135, 12); Musketeer kills Crossbow (136, 12); Late Pike killed by Hussar (137, 12); Dragoons kill 2 Firelancers (139, 12); Musketeer kills (Crossbow (140, 12); Musketeers kill 4 Longbows (144, 12); Dragoons kill 4 Medieval Infantry (148, 12); Knight of the Realm blitz kills 2 Crossbows (150, 12); Dragoons kill 2 Medieval Infantry (152, 12); Dragoon kills Firelance (153, 12); Missionary converts Numidian Mercenary (154, 12); Dragoon kills Firelancer (155, 12); Dragoon kills Numidian Mercenary (156, 12); Dragoons kill 2 Crossbows (158, 12); Dragoon kills 2 Horsearchers (160, 12); Pikeman kills Archer (161, 12); Musketeer kills Crossbow (162, 12); Enslaver kills Crossbow (163, 12); Dragoon kills Medieval Infantry (164, 12); Dragoon kills Siege-Bow (165, 12).

North of Saigon: Cannon kills Firelancer (166, 12);

Trade Economics to Italy/Rome for 23 gold and 60 gpt.
Trade Economics to S. Africa for 47 gold and 35 gpt.
Trade Mercantilism to Japan for 30 gold and 3 gpt.
Trade Mercantilism to Israel for 55 gold and 19 gpt.
Trade Mercantilism to Mongol Khanates for 24 gold and 17 gpt.

IBT:
Austria-Hungary declares war on the Maghreb
Arabs are building the Crystal Palace.

While defending Vientiane, our loss of a Musketeer and a Pike is mitigated by our troops killing 5 Crossbow and 2 Longbows (173, 14).

1655 AD:
North of Saigon: Cuirassier kills LongBow (174, 14); Cannon kills Firelancer (175, 14); Cannone kills Crossbow (176, 14); Musketeers kill 2 Crossbows (178, 14); Chariot kills Crossbow (179, 14); Cannon kills Crossbow (180, 14); Enslaver kills Longbow (181, 14); Cannon kills Longbow (182, 14); Ajax kills Crossbow (183, 14); Diomedes kills Crossbow (184, 14); Dragoon kills Numidian Mercenary (185, 14); Dragoons kill 2 Crossbows (186, 14); Hussar kills Crossbow (187, 14); Enslaver captures Longbow (188, 14).

Defending Vientiane: Musketeers kill 3 Numidian Mercenaries (191, 14); Knight o f the Realm blitz kills 2 Numidian Mercenaries (193, 14); Dragoon kills Numidian Mercenary (194, 14); Dragoon kills Firelancer (195, 14); Dragoons kill 2 Longbows (197, 14); Musket Infantry kills Numidian Mercenary (198, 14); Dragoons kill 2 Numidian Mercenaries (200, 14); Enslavers capture 2 Longbows (202, 14); Hussar kills Camel Musketeer (203, 14); Dragoons kill 7 Longbows (210, 14); Dragoon kills Numidian Mercenary (211, 14);

Trade Steam Power to Turkey for 24 gold and 5 gpt.
Trade Free Artistry ti India for 15 gold and 2 gpt.
Trade Steam power to Brazil-Portugal for 31 gold and 4 gpt.
Sell our World map to Inca/S, America for 23 gold and 2 gpt.
Sell our World map to Britain for 50 gold.

IBT:
Defending Vientiane, Grenadier kills Crossbow (212, 14).

1660 AD:
Great Leader rushes Dockyards in Athens.

Cleanup at Vientiane: Musketeers kill 2 Crossbows (214, 14); Monk converts Crossbow (215, 14); Hussar kills Numidian Mercenary (216, 14); Hussar kills Crossbow (217, 14); Enslaver kills Longbow (218, 14); Dragoon kills Numidian Mercenary (219, 14); Grenadier kills Crossbow (220, 14); Hussar kills Crossbow (221, 14); Hussar kills Numidian Mercenary (222, 14); Dragoon kills Crossbow (223, 14); Hussar kills Longbow (224, 14); Grenadier kills Longbow (225, 14); Dragoon kills Firelancer (226, 14); Musket Infantry kills Longbow (227, 14);

Cleanup at Saigon: Cannons kill 2 Longbows (229, 14); Enslaver captures Longbow (230, 14); Ajax kills Numidian Mercenary (231, 14); Dragoon kills Numidian Mercenary (232, 14); Hussar kills Crossbow (233, 14); Chariot kills Crossbow (234, 14) and we get a Great Leader.

Great leader moves toward Mandalay and stops for a snack between Angkor and Hanoi.

Cuirassier kills Crossbow (235, 14); Enslaver kills Crossbow (236, 14).

Notes:
  • I was so caught up in defending that I failed to mention we built The Great Palace in Delphi and can now run spy missions
  • I would save the Great Leader for rushing The Capitol when we get Democracy. My second choice would be to use the Great Leader to rush Dockyards in Mandalay., but there are other equally good choices, so it is your call.
  • I would build The Capitol in Rangoon (I think this will be out best production city).
  • I was toying with the idea of Capturing Irtjet which is south of Bangkok.
    • There is a one-turn roading crew close to Bangkok. They coul connect Irtjet to or road net next turn.
  • There are a lot of combat workers & slaves in Rangoon who will become available with in the next 2 turns.
  • Most of the rest of the workers & slaves are at Pharsalos.
  • With the hills and forests mined and the grasslands irrigated Pharious should have decent production and be considered a candidate for the Military Academy.
  • The Saltpeter in Provadia became availible for trade last turn. I was waiting for a chance to use it to trade for Democracy.
  • Byzantium will need a Colosseum in the future. If built right now, a slave could be merged into Byzantium and it should be able to build Dragoons in 1 turn without needing to buy an explorer first.
  • I did not make any trades this turn. However the Mongols with pay around 155 gpt for a tech and Turkey will pay about 80 gpt.

Attachments

• LK168-1660AD.SAV
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Trade Navigation to Persia for their World Map, 14 gold and 4 gpt.
Trade Exploration to Israel for their World Map, 26 gold and 9 gpt.
Trade Alchemy to China for 16 gold and 4 gpt.
Trade Free Artistry to Korea for 29 gold and 5 gpt.
Can we please not make more trades this cheap?
I've noticed way to many super cheap trades. IMO this is allowing the weaker civs to get stronger. I'm hoping we can eventually take out more backwards civs. I don't want every fight to be against civs equal in tech with the massive Sid advantage. There simply isn't enough turns in the game to pull this off.

Nice job chewing up Nubia. Hopefully they burn out soon, and we can go on the offensive.

I hate having to go heavy on military again. It is nice that we got a few leader rushed buildings in. We can't complete without better science and money multipliers.

ROSTER:
LKendter
Jersey Joe
Elephantium (up looking for swap)
Greebley (on deck)

Top Bottom