LK169, Italy, CCM 2.5, AWM

Continuing 1320 AD: Do some MM and change a few builds.

IBT: Legionary killed bt Chinese Catapult (0, 1).
War Elephant killed by Polish Chariot (0, 2); Knight kills Swordsman (1, 2).
Polish troops do not attack Chicago. <???>

1330 AD: Knight kills Polish Chariot (2, 2).
Missionary kills Chinese Archer (3, 2); Enslaver kills Archer (4, 2) and gets a Great Leader.
Great Leader rushes an Academy in Viroconium.

1340 AD: Enslaver kills Chinese Archer (5, 2); Enslaver kills Spearman (6, 2).
Knight kills Polish Horse Archer (7, 2) and we get a Great Leader. Great Leader rushes a Port in Washington. Knight of the Realm kills Camel Trooper (8, 2); Knight killed by Camel Trooper (8, 3); Missionary kills Camel Trooper (9, 3) and we get a Monk who begins preaching in Philadelphia.

Near New York, Legionary kills Maghreb Archer (10, 3).
Near Chicago, Praetorian kills Inca Spearman (11, 3); Praetorian kills Warrior (12, 3); Medieval Infantry kills Spearman (13, 3); Praetorian kills Inca Longbow (14, 3); Enslaver kills Archer (15, 3).

IBT: Praetorian kills USA Mounted Warrior (12, 3). Praetorian killed by Polish Swordsman (12, 4); Praetorian killed by Catapult (12, 5).

1350 AD: Near Viroconium, War Elephant kills Chinese Spearman (13, 5); Knight kills Trebuchet (14, 5); Missonary converts Archer (15, 5).

1360 AD: Knight of the Realm kills Polish Camel Trooper (16, 5); Knight kills Spearman (17, 5) and we get a Great Leader. Knight kills Swordsman (18, 5); Knights kill 2 Archers (20, 5).

1370 AD: Great Leader rushes Colosseum in Sheepish Pig Iron.
Near Philadelphia: Medieval Catapult kills Polish Archer (21, 5); Praetorian kills Swordsman (22, 5). Knight kills Inca Swordsman (23, 5), Legionary kills Inca Crossbow (24, 5) and we get a Great Leader. Knights kill 2 Crossbows (26, 5).

Near Viroconium, Knight kills Japanese Chariot (27, 5).

IBT: Near Viroconium, Praetorian kills Chinese War Elephant (28, 5).

1380 AD: Great Leader rushes Marketplace in Sheepish Pig Iron.
Near Viroconium, Praetorian kills Chinese Archer (29, 5); Enslaver kills Archer (30, 5).
Near Chicago, Knight of the Realm kills Polish Chariot. (31, 5). Knight kills Inca Crossbow (32, 5); Missionary kills Crossbow (33, 5).
Near Philadelphia: Knight kills Polish Swordsman (34, 5); Praetorian kills Swordsman (35, 5); Knight kills Camel Trooper (36, 5).

1390 AD: Near Chicago: Knight kills Inca Pike (37, 5); Medieval Infantry kills Crossbow (38, 5); Knight kills Crossbow (39, 5) and we get a Great Leader. Great Leader rushes Academy in New York. Knight kills Catapult (40, 5).

Near, Philadelphia; Knight kills Medieval Catapult (41, 5); Medieval Catapult kills Crossbow (42, 5).
Near Viroconium: War Elephant kills Chinese Crossbow (43, 5) and we get a Great Leader. The Great Leader will rest in Viroconium and teach the troops the subtleties of Tonk, while waiting for a Settler to build a city on the road to China. <grin> Knight kills Crossbow (44, 5).

IBT: Praetorian killed by Inca Trebuchet (44, 6).

1400 AD:
Annexing Atalanta: Knight of the Realm kills USA Native Spearman (45, 6); Knight kills Spearman (46, 6); Knight kills Mounted Warrior (47, 6). The city is added to our Nation.

Knight kills Inca Trebuchet (48, 6); Knight kills Pike (49, 6).

Near Philadelphia: Trebuchet kills Arab Catapult (50, 6); Knights kill 2 Heavy Archers (53, 6); Ballista kills Crossbow (54, 6); Knights kill 3 Crossbows (57, 6).

1410 AD: D
Near Atlanta, Knight kills Polish Chariot (58, 6); Knight kills Crossbow (59, 6).
Near Philadelphia, Knight kills Arab Trebuchet (60, 6); Missionary kills Crossbow (61, 6).
Near Chicago, Legionary killed by Inca Pike (61, 7); Knight kills Pike (62, 7), Knight kills Crossbow (63, 7).
Near Viroconium, Missionary kills Chinese Archer (64, 7).
Near Ravenna, Archer kills Chinese Spearman (65, 7).
Near New York, Legionary kills Maghreb Crossbow (66, 7).

1420 AD:
Near Chicago, Missionary converts Inca Pike (67, 7); Missionary converts Archer (68, 7).
Near New York, Knight kills Maghreb War Elephant (69, 7); Knight kills Longbow (70, 7).
Near Pink Dot (future city on the road to China), Knight kills Chinese War Elephant (71, 7);
Near Atlanta, Enslaver kills Inca Pike (72, 7).

1430 AD:
Near New York, Knight of the Realm kills Maghreb War Elephant (73, 7).
Near Atlanta, Knights kill a Polish Spearman and an Archer (75, 7).

Notes and Suggestions:
  • Screenshots in my next post.
  • There is a Settler in Rome that the Oracle just produced. I am not sure if everyone knows this, you can save 60 gold by not upgrading to a Roman settler. You can use the Settler as is.
  • The Settler for Pink Dot reaches it next turn with the Great Leader, the Monk by Viroconium is also for Pink Dot.
  • Atlanta, Chicago, Philadelphia, Hispalis and Viroconium have many fortified Troops.
  • Arab Troops keep showing up along side Polish Troops and they both have green borders.

We kill America. The first dead civ has arrived. :dance: :dance: :dance:

75 dead units - WOW. It is getting intense now.

ROSTER:
LKendter (on deck)
Greebley
Jersey Joe
Elephantium (up)

Here is what the eastern half of our Nation looks like in 1430 AD.

Red Dot is a suggested city site.

Here is the western half.

Settling on the hill where are our Troops are might be a better spot, in terms of production.

EDIT: corrected typo

Last edited:
Settling on the hill where are Troops are might be a better spot, in terms of production.

I'll go with the hill for defense. That makes that city that much tougher for China to attack.

I'll go with the hill for defense. That makes that city that much tougher for China to attack.
Also, we build the city 1 turn sooner. A Great Leader is with the Settler so we can build a Castle the turn we settle.

Since both China and Poland are still in the Ancient Empire Era, we could try to conquer both of them at the same time.

I think the Maghreb are some where near China and the Arabs are near the Poles. I think Japan might be closer to China than it is to Poland. Also, the Inca attack us from out of the east.

An alternative would be to go after China, defend against the troops sent by Poland and the Arabia, and go on the offensive vs the Inca. The Inca know more techs than we do, but their troops are not yet better than ours.

:scan: :scan: :scan: Looking for the save :scan: :scan: :scan:

Looks like another decent spot with 5 bonus grassland tiles to the left of Ravena. Mining the plains tiles will give us plenty of shields.

I see you had another crazy leader turn. OTOH, it looks like another light turn for workers. As the empire gets bigger, those enslavers need to keep giving us fresh workers.

The Great Leader will rest in Viroconium and teach the troops the subtleties of Tonk, while waiting for a Settler to build a city on the road to China. <grin>
I know the song Honky-tonk woman, but what are those subtleties of Tonk ?
  • There is a Settler in Rome that the Oracle just produced. I am not sure if everyone knows this, you can save 60 gold by not upgrading to a Roman settler. You can use the Settler as is.
Such a difference is not intended. Both settlers should have the same costs. I will have a look on it. Thank you very much for pointing to that problem. :)

what are those subtleties of Tonk
Tonk is a card game. I don't really know the rules. I believe it is similar to knock rummy. If I did know what the subtleties are, I would not tell and give away any advantage I might have ;)
I heard about it, this year, from Elephantium, in a prevous LK series game, when I made a comment about the some lazy troops drinking and playing cards. Elephantium referred me to a series of Fantasy books by Glen Cook about the Black Company. A company of mercenaries who while off duty play a card game called Tonk.

ROSTER:
LKendter (on deck)
Greebley
Jersey Joe
Elephantium (up)

I've got it.

My plans:
* Go after Poland! We have lots of troops in that area, so I can attack immediately.
* Fight defensively vs. China. Cumae will send new Knights in that direction.
* I don't think we can manage two offensive wars at once, but I'll probe a bit after we build W of Viroconium.
* The Settler in Rome needs a destination. I'm inclined to send him to the spot W of Ravenna; JJ's Red Dot needs more Worker love early on.
* Work on gpt. It would be nice to run 70% research again.

Lurker:
Learned thje game in the Navy in 1963. Not played since around 1972, but is a rummy game. You draw cards to determine the dealer. Deal 5 cards, you can meld to reduce your
hand. Cards rank Ace low, King high. Duce wild. Points are cards face value, with picture cards equal to 10.

* Go after Poland! We have lots of troops in that area, so I can attack immediately.
* Fight defensively vs. China. Cumae will send new Knights in that direction.
Keep some troops around:
Chicago to defend against the Inca;
New York a Knight or 2 since the Maghreb keep landing War Elephants there;
Atlanta/Philadelphia to defend against the Arabs that occasional show up, you will have plenty of time to react to them.
The Worker Group chopping the forest at Philadelphia can build 1 turn roads.
China does not seem to have many troops and they keep sending their spare ones for us to kill. For a few turns I had Rome and Cumae build Praetorians instead of Knights. Annexing China while also annexing Poland should be possible, unless the Maghreb or Japanese start attacking us.
The Settler in Rome needs a destination. I'm inclined to send him to the spot W of Ravenna; JJ's Red Dot needs more Worker love early on.
* Work on gpt. It would be nice to run 70% research again.
To help that, there is a Worker stack at Ravenna that can build roads in 1 turn. There is also a 1 turn roading stack at Sheepish Pig Iron and the other stacks working there to make it grow and be productive.
We shoud fog bust a little around the city site so we can see the enemy coming and maybe find a resource we should have in our fat cross. Also, Lee will need to 2 Settler sites.

Maybe we should build a scout to travel the Mountains east out of Chicago to find were the Inca are located.

Pre-turn:

MM a bit. I end up with a few cities growing faster and Clocks due in 7 @ -12gpt

Wow, we're building a lot of buildings. I'm hoping to get a few more cities producing troops by the end of my set.

IBT:

Veii: Windmill > Knight (43 spt :cry:)
Cumae: Knights

Palace expansion

1440 AD:

The AI messed up my tile assignments at Atlanta :gripe: Time to give them what-for

Treb kills Polish Spear
Italian Knight dies to MDI after redlining him
Legionary dies, too :mad:
Italian Knight finally finishes the guy off
Knight kills Crossbow near Chicago

... units are on automove :nono:

Lutetia settled W of Viroconium, revealing a Camel to the NW.

sg_269.jpg

IBT:

Poles mostly go south instead of going straight at Atlanta.
War Elephant comes out of the fog to kill our Knight from the prior turn.
Treb retreats from a probing Praetorian near Lutetia

India completes Worldreligion Hinduism

1450 AD:

We wipe out a few Polish units W of Atlanta.
Guys at Lutetia are set for next turn's probe, too.

IBT:

Camel kills our Knight W of Atlanta
MDI dies to Praetorian near Lutetia
Two Crossbows die to our very own Sir Brutus

1500 AD:

Enslaver kills wounded Camel

Skirmish at Opole:
Knight of the Realm kills Polish Cataphract
Knight of the Realm kills Polish Spearman
Italian Knights need to stop in the desert to rest before attempting the walls...

Roman Ballista kills stray Crossbow

IBT:

Crossbow dies to our Praetorian

sg_270.jpg

South America is building Christianization

Japan completes Hanseatic League

1470 AD:

Enslaver captures Polish Archer

Italian Knight kills Polish Spearman and autorazes Opole

We lose a Treb pushing the stack 1 tile closer to Poland.

I can't figure out how, but we met Indo-China. They're a Theocracy with 9k gold. I dial them up and declare.

IBT:

Camel retreats
Almohad Crossbow suicides vs. our MDI in Chinese territory
Maghreb lands a couple of troops by New York (good call on keeping a few guys there, @Jersey Joe!)

Maghreb are building the Arsenal :(

1480 AD:

Science slider to 40%, Clocks still due in 2.

We clear the stack at New York -- only 2 guys.

IBT:

A unit -- I think it's a Warrior Monk -- attacks our Praetorian W of Ravenna. We win.
An Enslaver follows that up and dies, too.

Poles lose a Cataphract but kill one of our Knights attacking our invasion force.

Arabs want to talk :rotfl:

Chinese -- Swordsman? It looks like he's waving around a sheaf of papers 😂 dies against one of our Knights

1490 AD:

Battle of Tsingtao:
Two Knights kill Spears
Enslaver captures both Asian Swordsman and the city.

sg_271.jpg

Knights kill a couple of stray units and reveal Wroclaw, size 1 but expanded borders.

Byzantium founded W of Ravenna

Slider to 30%, Clocks still due in 1

IBT:

Near Wroclaw -
Invisible unit kills an enemy Crossbow
MDI kills our Knight
Treb kills our Knight

War Elephant kills our eKnight near Tsingtao

Clocks > Printing Press (due in 10 @ 60% science)

In Tsingtao, resistance ends and riots begin.

Viroconium: Forge > Slavery

Greece completes Hagia Sophia

1500 AD:

Battle of Wroclaw:
Sir Roberto rides down the first Spear
Sir Titus tramples the second
eKnight jousts a Cataphract but doesn't make a name for himself
Legionary walks into the city and gets ambushed! Sounds like an Enslaver. He turns the ambush around and seizes the city in the confusion.

sg_272.jpg

I spot a Mesofirelancer near Atlanta. Incas have upgraded.

IBT:

China wants to talk. Go take a hike, buddy!

I just realized that we've had FAR FAR FEWER trash naval bombardments in this game!

Pisae: Forge > Slavery
Seattle: Slavery > Town Clock
Hispalis: Forge > Slavery

South Africa completes Cape of Good Hope

1510 AD:

I switch all Knight builds to Town Clocks, hoping for 1-turn Knights in a couple of cities.

We lose an Enslaver attacking a Crossbow on flood plains :(
Second Enslaver captures him!

Enslaver Germanicus arrives near Tsingtao, capturing an Asian Swordsman!

Tsingtao gets a Castle.

IBT:

Lots of enemy moves, no attacks

Veii completes its Town Clock and hits 50spt :D

Brazil completes the Arsenal.
Mongols complete Buddhist Art

Indochina is building Holy City

1520 AD:

Battle of Chengdu:
Knight of the Realm narrowly kills Asian Spearman...and that's the only defender? Nice!

sg_273.jpg

Enslaver kills Carthaginian Warrior and promotes to elite.

Handoff notes:

Both fronts are going well. There's minimal resistance from Poland and basically none from China.
There are a lot of Workers concentrated near Ravenna and the new city of Byzantium. They should probably disperse a bit in the next few turns.
Town Clock builds look promising. Despite my pre-turn comment, we may wish to focus a little more on buildings for the next 5-10 turns to avoid drowning in unit support costs. We're not hurting for reinforcements (yet).

OTOH, Indo-China will start showing up soon.

sg_274.jpgsg_275.jpgsg_276.jpgsg_277.jpg

Attachments

• LK169-1520AD.SAV
    937.9 KB · Views: 5
Looks like you improved the gdp. :thumbsup: Good call, going after Poland. As soon as Wroclaw gets a border expansion and we build a road we will have Saltpeter.
Also, it is good to see that you motivated the Enslavers to do their job. :lol:

I like the notes you wrote on the screenshots. The Maghreb used the same landing spot at New York during my set and the Inca appeared from the 2 spots you indicated.

Why did you fortify the Monk in Lutelia in stead of giving culture to the town? Also, you have a fortified Monk in Philadelphia that you could have used to give culture to Wroclaw.

It looks like China was weak as expected. I hope I can wipe another civ out during my set.

Glad to see gold mine built. That 50% tax boost helps our economy. I won't argue with more convoys heading toward our capital.

From JJ's comment, it sounds like the hunt for saltpeter is over.

I don't see it well, but it looks like Atlanta is another food overload city. Hopefully, it can eventually run a lot of scientist.

The only bad news is yet another civ we are at war with.

With printing press on the way, I'm going to look for possible wonders. None of the know AIs have clockworks yet.

With how big the empire is getting, I can't wait until rails arrive. With the number of hills we have, I hope we have coal.

It looks like I'll be challenged for a good spot to build more cities.

ROSTER:
LKendter (up)
Greebley (on deck)
Jersey Joe
Elephantium

Last edited:
Early turn teaser. That has to hurt. Poland got stuck with a total garbage capitol.

Top Bottom