LK83 - AWE Invitational, Random Civ, Emperor

Northern Pike said:
HNDY11 is also an AWE+ game with China, in which an otherwise decent-looking start didn't have any bonus food. We're in much worse shape there than here, despite having horses.

It's not really just bonus, but river as well. Without rivers the commerce sucks in Monarchy.

Without rivers the commerce sucks in Monarchy.
We are suffering lack on rivers in this one. That also takes away a lot of free aqueducts for size 7 and the extra unit support.

Hook up the stinking saltpeter, build/rush/upgrade muskets and stop the whining :)
Once we have a couple of muskets in front line cities we can build up a modest attack force and take one city at a time.

BTW, in the south we need to get those cities up against the mountains. Once our culture extends on the mountains it will slow the fast units down to a crawl and we can pound them to death. Advance the line in the north until we find the best defensive position. Then we can wait for Infantry/Tanks.

550 (0): How did we reach this point in an AW game with only ten bombardment units? That's not a criticism of anyone in particular, just another indication of how difficult this game has been.

I'm glad we've got a granary in Hangchow now, but with the town embarked on a long-term marketplace build rather than cranking out settlers and workers the granary isn't helping us much. After looking at various other options for a switch, none of them good, I decide to accept the waste of 19 shields and have Hangchow produce a settler immediately. A steady stream of workers for merging will help our economy much more than one additional marketplace.

I shift a few pikemen around. If we let our enemies block the road to Tatung we'll probably lose it.

We lose a pikeman outside Hangchow to the attack of a Byzantine longbowman (0-1).

The French complete Bach.

Chinan walls --> barracks.

560 (1): Two Mayan LB outside Tsingtao; a French LB and a Byzantine LB near Chinan; a Spanish archer and three Byzantine units (knight, pikeman, LB) on the Tatung-Xinjian front (8-1).

A Byzantine LB and a Mayan LB die making bad attacks. Unfortunately a third bad attack succeeds, and we lose a pikeman in Hangchow (10-2).

The Americans are building Newton and Magellan.

570 (2): Just one Byz. pikeman, outside Xinjian (11-2).

A bit of good news--I've restored our barrier of pikemen, and the Maya have lost interest in the Tsingtao front.

Beijing aqueduct --> harbour.

Hangchow is now a two-turn worker factory.

580 (3): One Spanish LB outside Tatung; one French MDI near Hangchow (13-2). A poor turn for our trebs.

The Maya land a redlined LB on their favourite spot next to Nanking. :lol:

We reject an American request for an audience.

Shanghai aqueduct --> pikeman.

590 (4): A Celtic archer, a Celtic spearman, and a Spanish LB on the central front; two French LB and two Byz. knights in the north (20-2).

The Americans complete Newton.

600 (5): The redlined Mayan LB near Nanking; a French LB, a Spanish LB, and two Javelin Throwers on the central front; one Byz. knight on the northern front (26-2).

610 (6): A Celtic AC and an American knight on the central front (28-2).

620 (7): No combat [!].

The Byzantines land a knight next to Beijing. Fortunately I've been building up our rear-area defenses a little.

Xinjian marketplace --> pikeman.

630 (8): We redline the Byz. knight next to Beijing, but it retreats.

Two JT and a French spearman on the central front; two American LB and an American spearman on the northern front (34-2).

We move seven combat units and six trebuchets next to Dijon.

We reject a Spanish request for an audience.

The French land an LB next to Beijing.

Our stack next to Dijon isn't attacked, though there are strong enemy units all around and the attack units are only covered by two pikemen.

640 (9): Dijon is held by a regular Musketeer, but under that there's only a regular spearman. Our trebs redline the Musketeer and we raze the town for the loss of one MDI--which dies attacking the spearman, perversely (36-3). We get four slaves--two captured, and two from the razing.

We pick off the redlined Byz. knight and the French LB around Beijing (38-3).

We found Kaifeng next to the ruins of Dijon, and then Ningpo two tiles farther west, and we have dyes.

A French LB outside Ningpo; a Mayan LB near Canton; a Byz. knight near Chinan; a Celtic knight, a Conquistador, and a Spanish LB on the central front (44-3).

The Byzantines land another knight next to Beijing.

Tsingtao aqueduct --> MDI.

Chinan barracks --> pikeman.

650 (10): We destroy two Byz. knights, but lose an MDI, in confused fighting around Ningpo (46-4).

We defeat the Byz. knight adjacent to Beijing (47-4).

Two Spanish longbows, two Mayan longbows, a Celtic AC, and a JT on the central front (53-4).

Four elite victories didn't produce a Great Leader this round.

I'm leaving you a delicate situation around Chinan, but we have enough units near the city that we probably won't lose it.

I haven't reduced the luxury rate now that we have dyes, because our road to the dyes can still be easily cut. For the same reason, I've left most of our cities with what might look like excess happiness. We can make these adjustments as soon as it seems safe.

I merged three workers during my round, and for the moment I think every worker produced in Hangchow (one every two turns) should be used for merging. Tsingtao should get a merged worker soon to bring it up to size seven. Hangchow will also have to produce more settlers eventually, of course.

We now have enough cities to support a fourth army.

We have to assume that enemy landings near Beijing will come steadily from now on.

The first Conquistador has appeared, so we have to be particularly careful about strikes deep behind our lines.

I've left eight workers whose next project isn't obvious unmoved, so the next player can choose what to do with them.

I think our long-term prospects look a little better now. When we've made all the adjustments (including worker merges) permitted by our third luxury, our economy should improve a good deal. On the other hand, we may be overwhelmed in the short term. The Americans have a stack of fourteen on the central front, the Celts stacks of eight and seven.

The first Conquistador has appeared, so we have to be particularly careful about strikes deep behind our lines.
I am simply repeating this to make sure people see this.

Signed up:
LKendter (currently playing)
Greebley (on deck)
Meldor
Grs
Northern Pike

Remember 10 turns per round - STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 to complete.
It will drop to 5 to 10 turns in the industrial age.

Variant restrictions:
1) Homeland defense armies only. The armies are prohibited from leaving our borders for even a millisecond. This includes attacking a stack outside borders and moving between 2 cities if there is a border gap.
If an army is trapped outside our borders due to a flip is must return to the nearest city. It may NOT kill any units on the way there.

2) Leader hording is prohibited. If we get a leader, and can't build an army it must be used to rush a building. We can delay using the leader to get it moved to an optimal city and waiting a turn for the shield bin to get empty. Once a leader is set for a building, no shifting back to army.

Great round NP. By the looks of it, the mountain chain extends all the way to the north. If we can extend ourselves to the mountains and get enough pingers to hit the units, we reduce all of the units to slow units and the advantage becomes ours. Yes, they are harder to kill on mountains, but we will have more chance to redline them. It will also move the front far enough away to relieve pressure on our non-coastal cities.

We lost and the report really doesn't matter.

650 AD
(IT) The Americans shift toward the northern front. This isn't good as there aren't enough troops up there to deal with a large stack.

660 AD
(IT) The RnG turns on us with a lot of pike losses. This will prove fatal.

680 AD
(IT) Well the Celts definitely have a GA as two Gallic Swordsman attack.
Xinjian is captured by the Celts. This starts the cascading falling of the empire.

690 AD
(IT) Spain is also having a GA.
Tatung is captured by the Celts. The Byzantines auto-razed Ningpo.

700 AD
I have to abandon Kaifeng.

710 AD
(IT) Tsingtao is captured by Spain after they attacked the pikeman wall by it. The next Conquistador simply walked it.
Canton is captured by the Celts.

730 AD
(IT) There are 2 different landings by our naked rear cities.

740 AD
Shanghai is razed.
(IT) The RnG laughs in my face and gives me a useless defensive leader in Chengdu. Chengdu is captured by America with the next attack.

750 AD
(IT) Spain razed Nanking. I have never seen the Conquistador so powerful before.
The Celts capture Beijing and Hangchow.

760 AD
(IT) France joins the party and captures Chinan.
The Americans capture Macao.

780 AD
(IT) Well the Byzantines deserve a piece of the pie. They captured Anyang. We now have more armies then cities.

800 AD
(IT) I survived long enough to watch America, French and the Byzantines go industrial.

810 AD
(IT) Despite some very heroic defense Shantung is captured. We are down to just one city with 3 armies for defense. Tientsin survives a turn eating an obscene amount of attackers.

830 AD
(IT) I get to watch a first - 3 armies die at the same time.

Mao the foolish is correct.

Summary:
We were so forward defended that when something broke we had a cascading collapse of the empire.

I think Northern Pike hit it right on the nose. Our terrain SUCKED. It took forever to expand the empire. We had to many cities growth stunted due to hills.
Our problem was lack of production and the trash terrain caused that.

I don't want to hear any comments about lack of horses. I don't think having horses would have made that much of a difference.
First ring canton was choked for size and production until Monarchy.
First ring Xinjian was too heavy on water tiles.
Most of the northern cities were hill-choked crap.

If you really want to see how screwed we were load up the 650AD, sign peace and get the world map. We would have been up to infantry before we got to the closest horse source.

I learned something new this game. Fighting Spain and forward defense is a fatal combination. Even without the bad RnG we would have collapsed. We needed at least two defenders in every city to stop them. I always use to fear the Vikings in AW. I actually fear Spain more. At least you see the Berserk attacks coming.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/LK83-830AD.zip

Well, thanks to all for the game. I'm glad to have finally played in the LK series, despite the result. The one thing we could have done better--getting more granaries built--obviously wouldn't have affected the outcome.

That was fairly sudden. Agree that Conquistadors are really difficult to deal with. They caused another AWE game I was in to collapse.

AWE is harder than straight deity I think. This make the fourth AWE loss for me. If you get a poor start it is very hard to win - especially with the no pillage limitation.

especially with the no pillage limitation.
The trouble is with unrestrcited pillage the game challenge falls apart the second an army can go out hunting and ripping the AI apart.

Top Bottom