1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK90 - Revenge of Mao, AWE

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Feb 2, 2005.

1. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

Difficulty = Emperor
    Civilization = China
    Map = Pangaea, mystery climate.
    Barbs = None
    World Size = Standard

Signed up:
    LKendter
    Open slot
    Open slot
    Open slot
    Open slot

Sign up requirement - previous AW experience is mandatory. AWE experience is preferred. At least a previous military win on deity. I suspect this will be at deity plus with the new LK AWE rules.

Remember 10 turns per round - STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 to complete.
    5 to 10 turns starting with the Industrial Age.

Strict AWE rules for the LK series:

1) The second you meet a civ you must declare war. NO initial trading is allowed.

2) You may never open up the diplomacy screen. You may never establish an embassy. If you use any civ tools you may not look at the trading tab.

3) Limited range armies. Armies may not travel more then 5 squares from the nearest cultural border.

4) Leader hording is prohibited. If you can't build an army this turn, then the leader must be used for a building rush.

2. LKendter

The following tactics are PROHIBITED:

RoP Abuse Tactics - Denying resources, blocking key tiles, RoP rape, or other ways to screw-up a civ via the RoP. A scout in AI territory has an explicit RoP and is subject to this rule.

Peace Treaty abuse - If you get concessions from the AI you must wait for the 20 turns to end before declaring another war.

Resource abuse - You can't disconnect / reconnect a resource every turn for the sake of building cheap units to upgrade with excess cash.

Ship chaining exploit - you can move a ship, unload troops to another ship in the same square not using any movement, move that ship, etc. This allows you to ship an indefinite distance, and that is why I consider it an exploit.

The negative science exploit - you can run a huge deficit (-250 / turn) of negative cash with a token penalty of one lost worker / cheap building. If cash will go below zero, the research level must be dropped.

Palace Jump - You abandon the capital city to move the palace to a new location. If you want to move the palace, build a new palace.

Mass troop jumping - You can't give away a give a city to transport a large amount of troops to another landmass.

Worker baiting - You can't spread around and sacrifice workers to an oncoming attack. This is often done to avoid losing real units or cities. This takes advantage of the AI failure to prioritize targets.

Standard LK house rules:
    1) Worker automation of any kind is prohibited.

2) Worker blockades are prohibited. This prevents things such as fortifying workers along the coast to stop invasions, blocking troops from going through your territory with workers, etc. Workers activity doing something along the coast is fine. The workers must be actively doing something.

3) You may not declare war on a civ if you are currently shipping cash and / or goods to the civ.

4) Even if not covered under exploits listed, please try not to use tactics that take advantage of holes in the game design.

5) Our reputation is golden - please respect it.

6) Self-research is highly preferred, if it is viable. I would rather invest money in beakers to toward science, then waste it on demands. Minimum research is discouraged unless we have no viable alternatives. This may happen at times such as going for republic early on, or late game to insure we get nationalism.

3. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I can't resist AW games. I will play

4. LKendter

Signed up:
    LKendter
    Open slot
    Greebley, before I even got to post the teaser picture!
    Open slot
    Meldor? (I will give him until tomorrow morning)

5. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

I like AW too but I am chicken enough not to sponsor a AWE myself. :)

May I join?

6. LKendter

I am curious the reason for the question on joining. I thought you have done AWE before.

I haven't even posted the great teaser picture, and may have 2 signups!

7. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Nah..I won some AWM and lost an AWDG, and am playing AWE with Greebley. Never won one.

8. LKendter

@Microbe - welcome aboard. Make sure to remember this is strict AWE, and the LK standard is raze and replace except under rare conditions.

Signed up:
    LKendter
    Open slot
    Greebley, before I even got to post the teaser picture!
    Microbe
    Meldor? (I will give him until tomorrow morning)

9. ThERat

ThERat Deity

being in greebleys AWE right now, I would like to try on pangaea as well. Or you rather have your old crew in?

10. LKendter

@ThERat - One started AWE isn't much. What other AW experience do you have?

11. ThERat

ThERat Deity

I know it isn't much, but here at SG's that my only AW experience. playing in goz8 though, which is a defiant variant (I think you know that one). That's on deity, but it's ok if you prefer to keep the slot for people with a better SG CV :) mine is growing only at the moment

12. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

My SGs are dragging a bit... and I am fairly comfortable in AW. I have won AWE once, and almost won AWD once (both in vanilla).

Can I join? LK is a pretty famous name, so I also just want to be in one! :)

EDIT: Do rules 1, 2, 3, and 7 of your ruleset (prohibited) actually matter in this game?

13. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

if you promise to put the game save in an obvious way.

14. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

What if I point out where it is? (Or maybe I'll just label it "save" :()

15. meldor

meldor Deity

I will join as well.

16. LKendter

To make sure these don't get lost. I have changed AWE a bit in the LK series.

1) The second you meet a civ you must declare war. NO initial trading is allowed.

2) You may never open up the diplomacy screen. You may never establish an embassy. If you use any civ tools you may not look at the trading tab.

3) Limited range armies. Armies may not travel more then 5 squares from the nearest cultural border.

4) Leader hording is prohibited. If you can't build an army this turn, then the leader must be used for a building rush.

17. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

How are we going to declare war if we can't open up the diplomacy screen? :crazyeye:

18. LKendter

Since I have some new LK AWE players the general guidelines:

1) Maximum science research except while we have the GL. No turning down science for upgrades except the cleanup phase.

2) Strict 3 apart spacing for cities.

3) Generally raze and replace with rare exceptions. Exceptions are a good wonder, civ is almost dead, or game almost over.

4) Early pre-build for the GL is critical.

5) Kill ratio is everything, so catapults are very important.

19. LKendter

My point is the ONLY action is to declare war. No peaking to see the techs they have, resources they have, etc.

20. LKendter

3650 BC
    The future settler / worker factory of Beijing is formed.

2710 BC
    Shanghai is formed.

2150 BC
    Canton is formed and claims our first source of horses. :D

1830 BC
    (IT) A Mongol warrior dies against the walls of Canton. (1-0)

1790 BC
    (IT) There are two more dead Mongol warriors. (3-0)

==========================

Summary:
    If we can't win this one, we just plain suck. Look at the map if you don't believe me.

The Pyramids are a pre-build for a granary. Nothing else lasted long enough. Beijing will become a settler / worker factory. The problem is constant MM to stay at +5 food. Beijing should never build anything else after the granary.

Signed up:
    LKendter
    Greebley (currently playing)
    Microbe (on deck)
    Meldor
    ThERat (be warned, this will be much harder then GR3)

Remember 10 turns per round - STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 to complete.
    5 to 10 turns starting with the Industrial Age.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/LK90-1750BC.zip