LK90 - Revenge of Mao, AWE

ThERat (be warned, this will be much harder then GR3)
ok, I saw that you changed your army restrictions a little. I think it gives a little more freedom than previously. The key here will be resources as usual in AW. hope you won't be disappointed taking me in :lol:

Signed up:
LKendter
Greebley (currently playing)
Microbe (on deck)
Meldor
ThERat (be warned, this will be much harder then GR3)
So I'm not in? :(

The initial dot map, and settling priority:
Black circles - theses are goodies to notice on the map.
Green dot - it has iron, need I say more?
Red dot - this will be a decent first ring city.
Yellow dot - with 3 bonus grasslands this is the city to build the Great Library. I can't stress enough that this it critical to get built early. With the worker / settler factory we may even want to merge some workers to get this one stronger.
Light grey dot - this is mainly a fishing village. However, once we plant forest on the 2 games it will have decent shields.
Blue dot - gives another luxury, but NOT to be settled until contact with the Aztecs.
Purple dots - they goal is to connect the furs.

Grey dot - this is a low priority site mainly to have back up horses. To be honest I expect to expand north before getting to this junk location. We will want some troops around there to kill AI settlers trying to claim the horses.

Tomoyo said:
So I'm not in? :(
Sorry, but only 5 slots available. This one is filled.

LKendter said:
Sorry, but only 5 slots available. This one is filled.
Okay, I guess I'll just have to wait for another one! :)

Preturn: Decide to let Canton grow faster. Give it 2 food instead of only 1.

IBT: Mongol moves up.

1725 BC: Defending seems the better option

IBT: A mongol warrior kills himself on our walls.

1700 BC:

IBT 2 Archers spotted. Get Pottery. Go for HBR.

Hmm... our road from Shanghai to Canton doesn't work well (in terms of movement). It crosses the river twice so it is still 3 turns to move between the cities. In the other direction it does save us a turn. Will look into building a better road. It is a lot of hills to cut through so it will be slow to build.

1675 BC: Switch capitol to Granary. Growth in 2, Granary in 3 is changed to Granary in 2, Growth in 3.

IBT: Archers move up.

1650 BC: Odds defending are slightly better than attacking so I will defend vs the Archers rather than attacking out.

IBT: Archers attack and we get an elite spear. 3-0

1625 BC: Since my pop is so high, I will build 2 workers before another settler. We have some hills and mountains that need roading.

IBT:

1600 BC:

IBT: An Aztec Warrior shows up to the north away from their town.

1575 BC: We declare war on the Aztecs Important not to self: Remember no trading!

IBT: Warrior Fortifies

1550 BC: Archer and Spear head to deal with the Warrior.

IBT:

1525 BC: Archer kills the warrior and is now Elite.

IBT: Hello American scout.

1500 BC: We build two settlers. Declare war on America

Notes:
Our Unit cost is momentarily very bad (7 gpt). It will go to 0 when we build our two new towns.
Our capitol can build Warrior and Settler every 4 turns. Remember to switch to 5 food every 2 turns when it grows.
The Settler from Shanghai was going to settle in the Iron spot, and I think we should lay down the GLbi spot now as well.

I will build 2 workers before another settler.
I agree 100%. I was already thinking we need more. Don't be afraid to sneak in some between settlers. We also need to road up the gems.

Since we now have contact with the Aztecs the wines city should go high on the priority list. Getting another luxury on-line is always a good thing.

================

Signed up:
LKendter
Greebley
Microbe (currently playing)
Meldor (on deck)
ThERat

Remember 10 turns per round - STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 to complete.
5 to 10 turns starting with the Industrial Age.

Strict AWE rules for the LK series:

1) The second you meet a civ you must declare war. NO initial trading is allowed.

2) You may never open up the diplomacy screen except to declare war. You may never establish an embassy. If you use any civ tools you may not look at the trading tab.

3) Limited range armies. Armies may not travel more then 5 squares from the nearest cultural border.

4) Leader hording is prohibited. If you can't build an army this turn, then the leader must be used for a building rush.

Not much.

Early: found Naking.

Middle: connect horses. get HBR start Alphabet. found iron city.

Lose archer when killing an archer. :( Warrior finishes it off. [1-1]

Found Xinjian.

Find spices in the west.

Late: Kill a warrior on the mountain. [2-1]

Connect roads and send settler to claim the wines. We may push toward Aztecs.

I haven't connected our gems yet. We don't have a good worker town.

Attachments

• LK90-1250BC.zip
    113.2 KB · Views: 55
looking good so far. a have 2 questions

a.
dot map. I see blue dot is on top of the wine and I know the reason why. but it would result in a weaker defense town. would it be wiser to move dot 1 NW to found on hill, which would be easier to defend? I know AI would try to pillage the wine then. just wondering which option is better

b.
it is stated that army can move maximum of 5 squares outside our borders. does that mean that we are allowed to attack towns as well as long as they are within reach?

ThERat said:
I see blue dot is on top of the wine and I know the reason why. But it would result in a weaker defense town. Would it be wiser to move dot 1 NW to found on hill, which would be easier to defend? I know AI would try to pillage the wine then. Just wondering which option is better
The wine spot is also on a river. That means a free aqueduct. Unit support will kill us in Monarchy, and having a city that can get to size 7 without building an aqueduct is very important.

ThERat said:
it is stated that army can move maximum of 5 squares outside our borders. Does that mean that we are allowed to attack towns as well as long as they are within reach?
You can attack towns, pillage, etc within 5 squares of our borders.

Greebley said:
There are 4 lux within 10 squares of our capitol, which makes life much easier.
That 4th luxury was very much as unexpected bonus. When I said the game looked GOOD it was for the settler factory. It looks like our #1 happy building will be the marketplace.

Greebley said:
I would have towns make occasional workers rather than a worker town.
We have 6 cities with more coming, and just 4 workers. We really need to peel some workers out of other towns. Any captured workers will be an unexpected bonus. I agree with you 110%.

IMO the number one important thing is the Great Library. We can give Beijing the bonus grassland tile from Canton. This frees up the southern bonus grassland for Xinjian. It is lost to corruption for the moment, but we want to insure that Xinjian gets all 3 of the bonus grasslands to give us the best shot at the Great Library. With having horses this game we delayed the research to get the needed horseback riding. That makes it more important to minimize the turns to the Great Library.

I am guessing the elite archer in the northern hills killed a unit. Since we haven't gotten the initial unit rush from the Aztecs or America I don't want to explore anymore. I definitely don't want to waste an elite unit exploring.

A dot-map for the north is in the next post. With the spices being a coastal spot we want the city ON them to prevent bombardment latter in the game. While we are moving very well right now, I don't want to assume the game ends before bombard units. We want dark green dot BEFORE the spice city to insure it has at least one supporting town.

IMO the number one important thing is the Great Library.
agree with you and thats why I would suggest to merge settlers faster there. and building workers to mine the land there. and build the light grey city to free up more tiles for it to work on

of course lux will have to go up then

Has anyone ever tried a Feudalism government in AW? You're never going to get the commerce bonus anyway, and unit support is much better than Monarchy if you have a lot of small towns, which saves you needing to build aqueducts right away.

Has anyone ever tried a Feudalism government
well not in AW but sort of in AK5, have a look at the thread. ask the members what they thought of it. AK summed it up when he said it was a one time experience he doesn't need to repeat.

Top Bottom