LK90 - Revenge of Mao, AWE

Bezhukov said:
Has anyone ever tried a Feudalism government in AW? You're never going to get the commerce bonus anyway, and unit support is much better than Monarchy if you have a lot of small towns, which saves you needing to build aqueducts right away.

I don't want to experiement with an UNKNOWN. I have never tried feudalsim. However, if I recall correctly when you go over the unit limit the cost are brutal.

Feudalism also has War Weariness. :eek:

Hard to say exactly what the intended use of that government was, even the AI won't use it. If aqueducts came after Feudalism it might have been useful, but since by the time you could form the government you can do something about being stuck with towns ...

Feudalism also has War Weariness.
End of debate. AW with war weariness just won't happen.

Wow - I used it in COTM 7 and didn't notice the weariness - guess with all the units I could support wars were fast enough for it not to kick in.

:rolleyes:

Obviously, war weariness and always war do not mix. As far as the availability of aqueducts, one could have built several units with those shields. More units of course mean more cities which mean more units, etc, etc. But with the WW, the point is moot.
Poor game design.

1250 BC (0)
Not much to do. will recall the archer and try to get some offense built up. Worlers need pealing and I might join the next settler into Xinjian to jumpstart its growth. The more shields we build up on the prebuild the better.
(I)Aztec wrrior move next to Shanghai another appears out of the fog from the east. The Aztec archer does nothing.

1225 BC (1)
Elite Archer moving home finds a Mongol warrior fortified on the grass. The iron is now connected. We don't have enough money to upgrade a single sword, but science is turned down to get 10g extra this turn and still get Alphabet. I leave the horse build but change the archer build to a sword. I like the defensive bombard of the archer but swords are better. The workers under the settlers complete the road, move the wine settler and the two spears into position. The workers will move south to start irrigation towards Tsingtao and then head south to Xinjian to get it going. I decline to attck the warrior across the river.
(I) The warriors at Shanghai move across the river. Beijing Settler->Sword.

1200 BC (2)
Two Mongol archers appear on the mountain on the other side of the warrior. I decide not to kill it this turn as they will then kill the exposed archer next turn, not worth it. Chendu is formed on top of the wines, it begins walls. Our archer kills off the Aztec archer and our Vet Warrior kills the warrior at Shanghai that is on the plains but we don't attack the one on the mountain. It will move off next turn. The settler moves south to join Xinjian. Drop lux by 10 and raise research shaving a turn off of writing. (2-0)
(I) The warrior cross to another mountain. The two Mongol archers head for Chengdu. Nanking Rax->Spear.

1175 BC (3)
Jioning worker into Xinjian drops the prebuild from 195 turns down to 78 turns once I give it the second BG. I have the workers start working the third one as it is yielding only 1 shield right now. Move vet warrior to Chendu and it will then rest. The archer is healing outside the city but can move in next turn. The elite archer is also on its way. The warrior on the mountain (Mongol) will be left only as we will have our first warod next turn and we can deal with it then.
(I) Mongol warrior is joined by an Aztec warrior near Tsingtao, The Mongol archers continue to move towards Chegdu and the Aztec warrior steps off the mountain next to Shanghai. Shanghai Sword->worker

1150 BC (4)
Our sword gets its first taste of blood as it kills the warrior without gains a scratch. (3-0)
(I)All Mongols move towards Chengdu, the Aztec Warrior does nothing. Beijing Swrod->Worker, Tsingtao Walls->Rax.

1125 BC (5)
Bad news, our sword fails to kill a vet archer. Our elite archer then kills the reg archer and our vet archer promotes killing the 2hp archer that nailed our sword. (5-1).
(I) No movement from the enemy. Beijing Worker->settler, Shanghai Worker->Sword, Canton Horse->Worker.

1100 BC (6)
No fighting. I have to up lux as Beijing grew and built the worker. I don't drop research and just go negative for the next 2 turns, its due in 3.
(I) Chenddu Walls->Rax

1075 BC (7)
Elite archer kills fortified Mongol warrior (5-1). Shaved some more turns off of the prebuild, now due in 62.
(I) No enemy movement. Canton Worker->Horse

1050 BC (8)
Our first horseman kills the Aztec warrior sitting on the next city site (5-1). Drop science.
(I) We get writing and start Lit, due in 14. Beijing Settler->Sword.

1025 BC (9)
Settler again heads south to join Xinjian. If we want to get the GL we can't let the build wait 60 turns. Right now, we could build it faster in the capital at 40 turns.
(I)No enemy in sight.

1000 BC (10)
Merge settler into Xinjian, dropping the prebuild to 44 turns. Once the workers finshing mining the last grass and roading the forest, I would merge one of them into the city to give us that last shield. I had to up the lux to keep the city happy. This dropped science so lit was due in 19, but this isn't an issue. We have 4 attack units in Chengdu, if the enemy stays away, you could take a shot at Tlaxcaca. The inits are fortified and unmoved.

One thing to consider, we can build the GL in the capital in less time. It could take the BG back, worker the mined sugar on the hill and get the turns to completion under 30. How secure do we fell with the prebuild taking 30+ turns once we get the last shield. The captital could do it in 25 with 3 more pop. Do we want to risk those extra 10-15 turns?

If we go for the GL in Beijing then we should leave the prebuild in Xinjian and try to grab another wonder, Clolossus is there and it could even grab something else if it is open.

Attachments

• LK90-1000BC.zip
    119.5 KB · Views: 59
Almost forgot, the two workers are moving south to connect the gems, it is time to get the second lux on line.

Pre-turn
first target is to get Glib faster

IT English finish Colossus, so much about the alternative wonder

1. 975BC
move workers to connect gems

IT red archer shows up on hills north of Tsingtao :(

2. 950BC
we say hello to Japanese and declare
notch up research at -3gpt but speed up lit to 12turns

3. 925BC
send new spear to Xinjian to keep lux in control. can decrease lux to 20%, up research so we get lit in 10

4. 900BC
a few Mongol archers heading towards Tsingtao
kill archer at Tsintao with sword [1-0]

5. 875BCkill warrior near Chengdu and spot aztec sword [2-0]

IT sword is approaching Shanghai, and 3 archers now at Tsingtao

6. 850BC
we need cats, so after lit we should go for maths
gems online, but since merge a settler up lux to 30%, lit in 7 at -3gpt, pyramids now in 31

IT at Tsingtao, spear and sword defend against 2 archer attacks [4-0]

7. 825BC
at Shanghai, horse kills sword [5-0]
we need more cities, else unit cost will kill us
move out 5 units to try and raze aztec town Tlaxcala near wine

IT an archer runs out of Tlaxcala

8. 800BC
sword kills spear, horse takes off 1 hp but retreats, elite archer kills spear and we raze the town[6-0] :D
another elite archer defeats exposed archer[7-0]

9. 775BCnothing much

10. 750BC
near Shanghai kill 1 warrior and 1 archer [9-0]
be careful there is a sword in the fog north of the wounded horse and sword
kill archer at Tsingtao and sword promotes to elite
a settler now ready in Bejing (fortified!). a spear in Nanking could follow it. Beijing should turn out more settlers in the next turns to expand fast. I focused on GLib, but we need to expand now
Lit due in 5 at -2gpt, pyramids in 27, hope that will be enough

Signed up:
LKendter (currently playing)
And when am I supposed to watch my Eagle win the superbowl tomorrow?

Greebley (on deck)
Microbe
Meldor
ThERat

Remember 10 turns per round - STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 to complete.
5 to 10 turns starting with the Industrial Age.

Strict AWE rules for the LK series:

1) The second you meet a civ you must declare war. NO initial trading is allowed.

2) You may never open up the diplomacy screen except to declare war. You may never establish an embassy. If you use any civ tools you may not look at the trading tab.

3) Limited range armies. Armies may not travel more then 5 squares from the nearest cultural border.

4) Leader hording is prohibited. If you can't build an army this turn, then the leader must be used for a building rush.

750 BC
There is nothing to change except to wake the settler.

730 BC
Elite sword simply kills archer. (1-0)

690 BC
Elite archer simply kills a spearman. (2-0)

670 BC
Horse dies attacking archer. 2 elite archers simply kill archers. Vet archer dies to archer. We really need to get some catapults. This type of loss ratio is horrid for AW. (4-2)
(IT) An archer and sword are killed on defense. (6-2)
The next research project is math. I won't stop research until the Great Library is built. Plus we badly need catapults.

650 BC
Horse dies attacking spear. Elite sword simply kills a spear. (7-3)

630 BC
Horse kills injured archer. (8-3)

610 BC
Hangchow is formed. This is the dark green dot heading toward the spices.

590 BC
Elite archer dies to horseman. At least the elite sword can kill it. Another elite horse retreats doing NO damage. (9-3)
(IT) This isn't the news I wanted to hear. America starts the Great Library.

570 BC
Tientsin is formed. This was the dark blue dot near the whales.
(IT) The defense at Hangchow and Chengdu is excellent. Total dead units are 2 swords, 1 warrior and 2 archers. (14-3)
We now have another elite spearman.

==========================

Summary:
We need catapults.

The below is a new dotmap that adds red dot. This is to replace Hovd. I hate to see a cow wasted.

With our expansion rate we need to start thinking about FP placement.

Signed up:
LKendter
Greebley (currently playing)
Microbe (on deck)
Meldor
ThERat

1) The second you meet a civ you must declare war. NO initial trading is allowed.

2) You may never open up the diplomacy screen except to declare war. You may never establish an embassy. If you use any civ tools you may not look at the trading tab.

3) Limited range armies. Armies may not travel more then 5 squares from the nearest cultural border.

4) Leader hording is prohibited. If you can't build an army this turn, then the leader must be used for a building rush.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/LK90-550BC.zip

There is nothing to change except to wake the settler.
that's something I like to hear

America starts the Great Library.
that's scary, how many turns do we have left? 17?

Preturn: Raise science to get Math a turn earlier. Need Cats.

IBT: Mongols start GLib too.

530 BC: Sword vs sword is just a bit better than defending. We lose though.

IBT: Oracle completes and a Japanese start the GLib. May have been a cascade which would be double-plus ungood.

510 BC: The road to Hangchow is kind of useless for troop movement. It crosses the river then goes back again. I would have roaded the hills first even though it would take a bit longer to stay on one side of the river. Will build that road now.

Build the town at the White dot. We had only 1 Spear which wouldn't have been enough for the Spices. Settler just build will be for the spices.

Elite Archer kills an Archer.

IBT: Mathematics->Currency We can use Currency with 3 lux and it is one of the less likely techs for the AI to have if we get the GLib.

490 BC: Sword promotes to Elite.
Tatung (white dot) founded.

I notice we can now build the Forbidden Palace. I think Hangchow should be our FP city. Its got gobs of shield potential with 2 Flood Plains, Cow and Grass to support lots of hills.

IBT: Lots of units milling about but few attack opportunities.

470 BC: Attack a Sword and a Spear with Elite units.

IBT: Spears kill an attacking Sword, retreat a Horse, and lose to a Horse

450 BC: Build a final city from the capitol. I think about some settlers for the tundra (one would even give our GLib city another square, but it would be too late to do any good). Decide we need miliatry. Things are getting more intense. Put the capitol on 10 shields to start build Swords.

First Catapult.

IBT: Several Mongol attacks are repelled.

430 BC: 2 more Elite victories but no leader.

IBT: Attack Repulsed.

410 BC: Found Macao on the Spices I can lower Lux to 20%

IBT: No attacks

390 BC: Lose an Elite Sword to a regular Spear.

IBT: Attack Repulsed

370 BC: Kill a few archers.

IBT: Pyramids Complete. We get to see if anyone cascades to the GLib next turn (due in 7).

350 BC: Bombard and kill a sword.

Notes:
GLib in 7. I would keep up research until it is 1 turn away (assuming we make it there). I would head straight for Monarchy next; if we don't get it from the GLib we need to research our selves.

Mongols seem strongest. Lots of horses.

Its not going to be an easy game I don't think. I wish I had gotten a leader - lots of elite victories but no luck.

Was Nanking building a Library for a reason? I switched to a Granary.

I formed a 'mini-attack' on Hovd to try to grab the cows.

IBT: archer attacks fortified spear behind walls across river and dies. [1-0] Aztecs start Sun Tzu's. America starts Zeus and ToA. :cry:

330BC: horse kills horse and sword kills sword [3-0]. Sword kills archer [4-0]

Kill 3 units and raze Hovd, gain one slave. [7-0]

I have to retreat our workers as we have no units to kill a closeby archer.

IBT Mongols start Sun Tzu's.

310BC: warrior kills injured archer. [8-0]

IBT archer dies to elite sword. [9-0]

290BC: archer kills archer and promotes [10-0]

IBT more units show up: 2 Aztec swords, 2 Mongol horses, 2 Japanese archers. Aztecs land a JW next to Nanking.

270BC: warrior kills JW. [11-0]

Found Anyang and connect road.

Elite sword kills archer. [12-0]

250BC: Currency -> CB. GL in 2.

Kill two Japanese archers. [14-0]

Elite archer retreats a horse.

Elite sword kills sword. [15-0]

IBT Horse dies against spear. [16-0]

We'll get GL! :dance:

230BC: sword kills sword. Swords kill two spears. Warrior kills JW. [19-0]

I switch Berlin to market.

IBT we get GL.

I set Xinjian to settler.

210BC: Sword kills spear. [20-0] Horse kills archer. [21-0]

IBT we get all the way to Feudalism+Engineering.

I do not revolt as I want to build the settler first, to avoid losing too many pops in Xinjian.

190BC: kill sword and archer. [23-0]

170BC: kill spear. [24-0]

150BC: archer kills horse. Horse kills horse and promotes. [26-0]

Note: the mountain at Anyang could be used as a killing zone. I've killed several Mongol horses there. I'm also roading the mountain. After that the workers should go to irrigate (mine?) the cattle to speed up the FP build.

We have a settler which I didn't move.

We should probably revolt now.

I'm kinda lost which way to go offense: east or north?

Attachments

• LK90-150BC.zip
    160.1 KB · Views: 59
:goodjob: GLib and what a kill ratio. :D
but, where is the MGL, don't even remember how many elite victories we had.

I'd say revolt now and once we get our riders, AI better watch out. mongols have their UU keshiks which are not easy to handle as well. we should advance towards them, which looks NE to me. north looks like a lot of jungle. hopefully we can get their horses soon.

I would think that at least for the short term, expanding towards the furs might be in our best interest to get that next lux. We have made great progress!

On the MGL, did you form an army? I would assume so, then the next one should go for getting the FP online asap.

I see this but will be late getting home today, as I was last night and most likely will only be able to finish LK89, this will be for tomorrow.

On the MGL, did you form an army
I think microbe was refering to the Great library, there is no army

Microbe said:
I switch Berlin to market.
How in the world has Berlin come into play? :crazyeye:

Microbe said:
I'm kinda lost which way to go offense: east or north?
I may be able to answer better after looking at the game. We don't have a clue where the critical resources are for the AI at this time.

Signed up:
LKendter
Greebley
Microbe
Meldor (currently playing)
ThERat (on deck)

Greebley said:
Was Nanking building a Library for a reason? I switched to a Granary.
Even with the GL we will be back to self-research shortly. I was trying to prepare for when the GL expires. I haven't looked at the game yet, but I suspect we are really short of buildings.

Top Bottom