1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK90 - Revenge of Mao, AWE

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Feb 2, 2005.

1. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

I got a chance to look at the game. Hangchow at size four still needs an obscene 93 turns to complete the FP. Unless some serious effort to improve shields is done by my turn I plan to abandon the effort. We can't afford to wait that long to improve corruption. We need some workers improving the cattle and hills NOW. There is no more important priority at this time then getting the FP built.

We will only get 5 to 7 more techs from the GL. We need to start sneaking in some libraries and markets into more cities or we are in trouble when self-research is back.

We have 8 workers and 1 free worker. We need more workers with having 12 cities.

The big question was where to expand next. What we can see in the pure north is jungles and mountains. In addition, I suspect that direction has the biggest risk of meeting another AI. I don't want to head that way. The south is still an artic wasteland. The west has hit the ocean. That leaves expansion to the east. We have slowly worked our way up to 5% of land and I don't want to stop. My newest proposal for expansion is below. This also will let us get the 4th luxury of furs. That will really help with getting size 7 cities and better self-research when the time comes.

2. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Agree with the direction of expansion. I prefer going Market then Library since otherwise you are paying Maint on libraries for longer that are not being used. Also it is easy to go broke supporting units Agree we want to start working on infrastructure right away. We have some time before the GLib expires, but not a whole lot

I was really worried about the GLib. Good to see we got it.

I also agree that 93 turns is too long to wait for the FP. We should see what corruption is in Monarchy before making a decision I think. It is suffering because we are a despot. If it still looks too long when a monarchy, I agree we can switch. Too bad we are having a great leader drought. Otherwise I would consider using a leader to rush it.

3. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

In Monarchy Hangchow could actually be very strong with the hills, flood plans and the cattle.

4. LKendter

I agree we need to see if Monarchy helps with recovering a shield for the hill and lower corruption before anything is decided.

5. ThERat

ThERat Deity

I still think our capital is really suitable for churning out settlers, even the growth suffers. other towns simply take too long. and we really want to expand fast, I guess.

6. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I agree the capitol can make more settlers. The comment meant that I was turning off the settler factory for a while. We had only Tundra to settle in. This far into the game I like to keep the Capitol large. Taking a settler when it reaches the higher end (needing to raise lux or the loss doesn't affect the build times) does make sense. I like to build workers or settlers when I reach size 12.

7. meldor

meldor Deity

150 BC (0)
    Looks like I will take the pain of the anarchy while the GL is in effect. I pull the trigger and we get 6 turns. I MM the cities to stop any from rioting.
    (I)Some units move closer.

130 BC (1)
    I kill a Mongol horse after pinging it. Cover it with a spear. (1-0) Upgrade a vet sword to an MDI
    (I) Lots of Units! Greeks finish ToA. The Japanese complete MoM.

110 BC (2)
    Elite horse kills a Mongol horse, elite Archer kills a spear. Elite sword and vet sword take out 2 Japanese Archers. Elite sword kills a Jag and an MDI kills an Aztec archer. (7-0) Upgrade a vet warrior to MDI.
    (I) MDI loses to a fortified spear across a river. The Americans complete the Hanging Gardens. (8-0)

90 BC (3)
    Elite sword retreats a Jag, an elite Archer kills it and we get a MGL. I build an army, the next one will go for the FP. One horse retreats but the second kills a Japanese archer and promotes. An elite sword retreats another Jag and then a reg warrior kills it. Upgrade a spear to a pike to heal it. (11-0)
    (I) The Mongols start SoZ. The Greeks finish the Great Wall.

70 BC (4)
    An elite sword kills an Aztec spear. Load our two MDI into the army and kill a Mongol archer. (13-0)
    (I) Not much

50 BC (5)
    An elite archer kills a Mongols archer, cover it with a spear. (14-0)
    (I)We are now a monarchy.

30 BC (6)
    Elite archer kills a Mongol horse. Elite*archer kills an Aztec MDI, an elite sword kills another. (17-0)
    (I) We learn Republic, wouldn't it figure, one turn too late. :)

10 BC (7)
    Elite archer kills Mongol Horse. Army kills a mongol archer. (19-0)
    (I) Now, that is odd. An American spaer coming to visit us, is attacked by an unknown unit. I like it when the AI fights for us.

10 AD (8)
    Kill 2 Mongol archers and an Aztec MDI. (22-0)
    (I) Not much.

30 AD (9)
    Only get to kill one Mongol horse. (23-0)
    (I) The Aztecs complete Sun's. The Greeks finish the Great Lighthouse.

50 AD (10)
    Not much to do. The army kills one archer on the way to raze a town. (24-0).

Attached Files:

8. ThERat

ThERat Deity

you mean you would take republic in AW games :lol: good joke.
    got it

9. meldor

meldor Deity

BTW, The FP is still going to take ~40 turns if it builds by itself. It appears that the land north of it is mountain and hill. It would probably be better to swap it to something else and use the next MGL to rush the FP in either the red or gray dot in the dot map above. This city stand a better chance of having productive cities in a complete ring around it.

10. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Its 40 turns because it is working 2 unmined, unroaded hills. We could have gotten that down to 20 and can in the future by improving the lands around it. We need to get more workers improving the lands. We are definitely short on workers. Some other cities are also using unimproved tiles even at size 3.

My thought is to build more workers and get our lands improved faster. We always seem very short of workers in these games and are slow in improving new lands.

Even if we switch the FP build to something else, I think it worth rushing the FP with a leader in that town. I think it still has the best potential for good shields and will be stronger for the FP than any of the other towns we have built.

11. LKendter

With kill ratios like the above I hope we can squeeze in some buildings. The GL won't last forever.

This is a good time to remind everyone about the limit range rule - 5 squares max from nearest border.

Signed up:
    LKendter (on deck)
    Greebley
    Microbe
    Meldor
    ThERat (currently playing)

Remember 10 turns per round - STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 to complete.
    5 to 10 turns starting with the Industrial Age.

Strict AWE rules for the LK series:

1) The second you meet a civ you must declare war. NO initial trading is allowed.

2) You may never open up the diplomacy screen except to declare war. You may never establish an embassy. If you use any civ tools you may not look at the trading tab.

3) Limited range armies. Armies may not travel more then 5 squares from the nearest cultural border.

4) Leader hording is prohibited. If you can't build an army this turn, then the leader must be used for a building rush.

12. meldor

meldor Deity

The town is Darhan and it is only 2/3 squares outside our borders.

13. meldor

meldor Deity

On the FP, I am more concerned about the surrounding towns being able to benefit from the reduced corruption. It would be nice to get a full second mini-core.

14. LKendter

:confused: The FP stopped giving a second core with C3C. I don't understand this comment.

15. ThERat

ThERat Deity

ok I played my turns without seeing all those somments, here it goes...

save

Pre-turn
    wake settler and send to front. want to settle blue, then red and pink.

IT oh, Mongols finish SoZ

1. 70AD
    at chengdu, sword kills archer. army kills 2 spears and raze Darhan [3-0]

IT warrior defeats against archer [4-0]

2. 90AD
    army defeats MI
    elite sword defeats archer and we have MGL, go for FP as suggested, first complete trebs as not to waste shields
    [6-0]

3. 110AD
    found Shantung at blue spot, rush FP in Hangchow
    next elite sword wins and we have another leader. this will from an army. defeat another MI, army defeats MI and we spot English and declare
    [8-0]

IT we learn invention

4. 130AD
    found Chinan in pink spot
    horse beats archer, horse beats MI, warrior beats archer [11-0]

IT 3/4 Mi attacks pike covering workers and promotes it [12-0]

5. 150AD
    Kaifeng on red spot founded, 2 horses beat acher and warrior, sword beats spear
    2nd army beats JW
    army approaches Tlacopan and defeats spear [18-0]

IT Japanese land archer near nanking

6. 170AD
    horse removes archer
    1st army defeats 2 spears and razes Tlacopan and nets 3 slaves
    horse defeats archer [21-0]

7. 190AD
    2nd army defeats archer, sword beats archer up north, sword and horse beat 2 archer [25-0]

IT America land archer
    Hangchow riots, forgot about the MP's

8. 210AD
    horse kills it, 2nd army kills 2 spears and raze Teajo, horse kills MI [29-0]

IT aztec land JW

9. 230AD
    horse beats JW, 2 horses beat MI and LB [32-0]

IT archer attacks sword on mountain and loses [33-0]

10. 250AD
    a new settler is ready and we can start to continue expanding towards furs
    sword retreats horse

oh, and I did finish some infra like libraries, which we need sooner or later
    and of course, I made sure the armies never went more than 5 tiles away

16. LKendter

Well things just got hotter.

Summary:

Signed up:
    LKendter (currently playing)
    Greebley (on deck)
    Microbe
    Meldor
    ThERat

1) The second you meet a civ you must declare war. NO initial trading is allowed.

2) You may never open up the diplomacy screen except to declare war. You may never establish an embassy. If you use any civ tools you may not look at the trading tab.

3) Limited range armies. Armies may not travel more then 5 squares from the nearest cultural border.

4) Leader hording is prohibited. If you can't build an army this turn, then the leader must be used for a building rush.

17. Bezhukov

Bezhukov Deity

Lurker Comment:

"390 BC: Lose an Elite Sword to a regular Spear."

This is the last time you record losing a unit. Since then, you're 86-0.

:crazyeye:

Hope this isn't like a no-hitter that you're not supposed to talk about.

18. meldor

meldor Deity

Correct me if I am wrong, but the FP does effect the corruption due to distance. You don't get the full palace effect but it is better then not.

19. LKendter

It is useless with rank corruption. This is the bigger component of corruption.
    It still helps with distance calculation. The distance component will go to either the FP or palace.

20. LKendter

250 AD
    The 3-apart city plans requires roads connecting at that distance. Tatung and Tientsin are effectively 4 tiles apart.
    (IT) The GL gives us Monotheism. With a 4th luxury coming up I am not sure how many churches we will need.

260 AD
    I kill 1 longbow, 1 MDI, and 1 archer. I lost 1 sword to a 1 HP archer. I lost another sword to a 1 HP longbow. The RnG has an attitude today. (3-2)

270 AD
    I kill 1 MDI, 1 Pike (our army lost a lot of hp) and 1 archer. (6-2)

280 AD
    I kill 1 horseman, 1 archer, and 1 longbow. (9-2)

290 AD
    I kill 1 warrior, and 3 MDI. (12-2)

300 AD
    I kill 1 JG, and 1 MDI. (14-2)
    I promote a MDI to elite.

Ningpo is formed. This is the white dot location, and furs are getting closer.

310 AD
    I kill 1 longbow, 1 warrior, and 2 MDI. (18-2)

320 AD
    I kill 1 longbow, and 1 pikeman. (20-2)

330 AD
    I kill 1 longbow, 1 warrior, 2 spears, 2 pikemen, and 1 settler. (26-2)
    I promote a MDI to elite.

Paoting is formed. This is the grey dot location.

Chalco is auto-razed . We get $11 and no culture pressure on Paoting.
    (IT) We lost an exposed MDI taking 2 longbows with us. (28-3)
    The Great Library still works, as Gunpowder is now ours.

340 AD
    I kill 1 MDI, and 2 longbows. (31-3)

We have NO saltpeter. However, I noticed an Aztec musket.
    (IT) They lost 3 MDI, and we lost 1 horse. (34-4)
    The English landed a warrior behind our lines.

350 AD
    I kill 1 warrior, and 1 longbow. (36-4)

==========================

Summary:
    :confused: Where are the American units? I haven't see any this time.

I think we should continue to push toward the Aztecs. Those furs will be huge when self-research is back. I would like to destroy that Aztec horse city. I hope to get a clue where the Saltpeter is. If those furs are the ONLY Aztec source we can put some hurt on them. I would also like a clue where the Aztec iron is.

Signed up:
    LKendter
    Greebley (currently playing)
    Microbe (on deck)
    Meldor
    ThERat

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/LK90-350AD.zip