1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK90 - Revenge of Mao, AWE

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Ok, I got it. From what I have read, the Aztecs do seem the obvious choice.

On America, possibilities include a choke city is blocking access, war, few cities left.

2. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Preturn: I always lose count of my wins, so I am only going to announce losses. Assume much poundage.
    Aztec has a nearby Horses. We will want to clear that out as well.

360 AD: Armies healing, we bombard and attack a few units. No losses.

370 AD: More units killed. Attack Tabriz.

IBT: Missed a danger spot. MDI kills our MDI.
    The fact that the Mongols and America are at war probably has a lot to do with our not seeing Americans. They have to hike past Mongol terriotory to get to us.

380 Worker steps on a hill to our West and can see a border of another color. Think I will step back...
    Raze Tabriz Attack Atzcapotzalco (Aztec Furs)

IBT: Yellow? Who is yellow.

390: Yellow is Egypt. Instantly declare war.

400 AD: Kill a few.
    Raze Atzcapotzalco

410 AD: A lot of fronts makes it hard.

IBT We have Chivalry I am still working on taking out Aztec Horses. Been building a lot of Infra. Now it is time for Military.

420 AD: Raze Choybolsan

430 AD: First Rider Win. Golden Age
    E Horse loses to an injured MDI.

Yow! We are making 183 gpt. Upgraded some Horses. Decide to not wait for the AI, but go full on Chemistry. There is a decent chance the GLib wouldn't give it to us anyway. Due in 9.

440 AD: Complete Upgrades (didn't upgrade E Horse - don't have many of these).

450 AD: Lose a Rider to a bombarded Longbow.
    Found Icy Furs (not quite connected yet).

Notes:
    Ivory Spotted Why have only 4 Lux when you can have 5? Aztecs direction is definitely the way to go.

We need to track down the Saltpeter. Its timing might just match getting Cav if we continue to push and research. 30 turn isn't impossible.

You can see a green "Persian colored" border across the water to the west. We will have another enemy soon enough.

Our position is very strong. We may able to have time when we exclusively have Cavalry (If we can find Salt = Aztecs IMO). In any case, we are in a position to surge ahead of the AI in research.

I would send pikes out a bit to search for the Salt. We are limited to 5 squares, but are no way close to seeing even that far.

I decided it wasn't worth giving Tsingtao land at the expense of Hangchow. So Tsingtao is currently going to starve (I rushed a settler but forget which occurs first). Basically it is a junk city, but I would rather have 1 strong (less corrupted one) and 1 junk one than 2 mealy ones.

3. LKendter

LKendter Deity Supporter

That didn't take long. :D

Heading toward the Aztecs has become a real no-brainer. 5th luxury and we will never need a church. Even a temple is questionable. Now it is time to find the mystery Saltpeter.

Pikes can go as far as they want. The armies have the 5-tile range limit. This was to prevent the blowout problem with once you got 2 or 3 armies = game over.

Summary:

Signed up:
    LKendter
    Greebley
    Microbe (currently playing)
    Meldor (on deck)
    ThERat

Remember 10 turns per round - STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 to complete.
    5 to 10 turns starting with the Industrial Age.

Strict AWE rules for the LK series:

1) The second you meet a civ you must declare war. NO initial trading is allowed.

2) You may never open up the diplomacy screen except to declare war. You may never establish an embassy. If you use any civ tools you may not look at the trading tab.

3) Limited range armies. Armies may not travel more then 5 squares from the nearest cultural border.

4) Leader hording is prohibited. If you can't build an army this turn, then the leader must be used for a building rush.

4. ThERat

ThERat Deity

does this account for armies only or any units? I thought if you send out a pike, it should not matter. now that we know almost all Civs (except that green colored one), we should bust the fog a bit towards east to have a clue of the front and salt\

good call on chemistry I think

edit: crossed with LK's message, sorry

5. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

It might be worthwhile to build a Galley and send it East. We can stop if we see a border. We can see what Aztecs lands look like and see if there is an obvious "saltpeter island".

6. LKendter

LKendter Deity Supporter

I looked at the game. It looks like Erdenet is the main cluster of gems for the world. I think I see the next direction after the Aztecs. Deny happy help to the world kills AI production. :hammer:

7. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I razed the gem city once. It will keep on getting replaced. Perhaps for the near term a pike to Pillage might make sense. When we build a city there we won't need the gem anyway so it won't matter if they are pillaged.

8. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Got it .

9. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

preturn: By looking at the powergraph, Egypt is very powerful.

Tsingtao is starving. Switch tiles to fix that.

460AD: I switch capital to Knights Templar in 12 turns. It would be good to have.

Kill 2 MDI and 2 archers. [4-0]
    Kill a Mongolian scout. [5-0]

IBT all Jap archers retreat. They may be at war with Egypt.

470AD: Kill one reg musket and raze Teotihuacan. [6-0]

Kill MDI. Kill 2 spearmen and raze Brighton. [9-0]

Kill MDI/archer. [11-0]

Wack a musket/settler pair. [12-0]

Army kills musket/MDI. [14-0]

480AD: elite horse kills warrior. Elite rider kills MDI. Goes to the closest town to form a rider army. [16-0] Rider kills MDI and promotes. [17-0]

We have furs and lux drops to 0. :dance:

Rider kills an MDI. [19-0]

IBT lose a pike to MDI. [19-1] We learn Theology.

490AD: form rider army. rider kills knight. MDI kills spearman. [21-1]

IBT we lose pike to longbow. [21-2]

500AD: lose a rider but kill 3 units and autoraze Tlamanalco. [24-3]

Kill a spear and 2 MDI. [27-3]

Wack another musket/settler pair. [28-3]

510AD: Wack warrior/settler. [29-3]

Kill a landing LBM. [30-3]

Kill musket. [31-3]

Kill 2 LBM and a warrior. [34-3]

520AD: nada.

530AD: Kill sword and 2 war chariots. Egypt has a lot of units in sight. [37-3] Kill 3 MDI. [40-3]

Kill LBM. [41-3]

Rush wall in New Beijing.

540AD:

IBT Greece meets us and wants to trade Education for Chemistry. We learn Education.

550AD: Kill 2 swords and 2 warriors, but lose an elite horse to reg warrior. [45-4]

Tenochtitlan is defended by 4 muskets and LBM. Our trebs hit 4 times and capture it. [50-4]

Kill 2 knights. [52-4]

We are a bit stretched to capture Sun Tzu's.

Wack 2 settler pairs. [54-4]

Note: I forgot to declare on Greece, please do so asap.

Attached Files:

10. LKendter

LKendter Deity Supporter

I love the number of times I read dead settler pairs. Our work force is getting some badly needed help.

The placement of New Beijing was off from the dot map.
    Ivory would have been ours if it was placed correctly.
    I am working on a new dot-map. New Beijing will be abandoned by my turns.

Signed up:
    LKendter
    Greebley
    Microbe
    Meldor (currently playing)
    ThERat (on deck)

1) The second you meet a civ you must declare war. NO initial trading is allowed.

2) You may never open up the diplomacy screen except to declare war. You may never establish an embassy. If you use any civ tools you may not look at the trading tab.

3) Limited range armies. Armies may not travel more then 5 squares from the nearest cultural border.

4) Leader hording is prohibited. If you can't build an army this turn, then the leader must be used for a building rush.

11. LKendter

LKendter Deity Supporter

Meldor this must be fixed immediately. I don't like even skipping a single turn. If it was more I would have forced a replay. If 650AD has Greece at peace their will be a replay.

12. meldor

meldor Deity

I see it and will kill the Greek envoy and return him in a bag.

13. LKendter

LKendter Deity Supporter

Looking at the game more I love the carnage in the Tundra zone. :goodjob:

This is the corrected city building toward Teno.

This is the plan to support Sun Tzu and control the Saltpeter.

I think this ends the expansion toward the Aztecs.
    Our lines are getting to awkward and thin.
    We got the goals of Ivory and Saltpeter.
    I think we need to start working north to start claiming better quality land.

14. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Microbe, How do you know Greece wants to trade Chem for Education? We are not supposed to ever look at diplo. Did you do the trade or did we get Edu from the GLib? I am hoping the latter (its a very bad trade as well as against the rules).

Sounds like we are making good progress.

15. LKendter

LKendter Deity Supporter

I suspect Greece contacted us to make the trade. I would like that confirmed.

16. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

I think it's quite clear in the log:
    We learn Education from the GLib.

17. meldor

meldor Deity

550 AD (0)
    First thing up on the list is to declare war on the Greeks. I need a lot of settlers, but what is new. I won't abandon New Beijing until I have some settlers with which to replace it. A lot may have to wait as I would rather do infra during the GA. So herer we go...
    (I) Lots of enemy movement. An Aztec MDI kills itself on a pike. Shanghai Rider->Library, Xinjian Colosseum->Pentagon (We can switch to something else if we like). (1-0)

560 AD (1)
    Start with the Aztecs and kill 2 MDI, a knight, 2 longbow and 2 muskets. Next I trim a Japanese and Egyptian spear and an Egyptian warrior. (11-0)
    (I) We retreat an English knight. We finish Knight's Templar. Beijing KT->Leo's, Canton Aqueduct->Library, Tsingtao Pike->Market, Tientsin Harbor->Courthouse, Shantung Settler->Settler, Kaifeng Market->Courthouse. The Greeks swap to Sistine, the English to Leo's.

570 AD (2)
    The English lose 2 knights and two 2 spear/settler pairs, we lose a vet rider. The Mongols lose a Longbow, a Keshik and their own spear/settler pair. (18-1)
    (I)Holy-smoly, I forgot to kill the Greek longbow that they landed next to Nanking, fortunately it attacks our Rider and dies. The Americans land a settler near the horses in the artic. Chengdu Rider->Temple, Anyang Settler->Settler (19-1)

580 AD (3)
    There is only 2 Mongol Keshiks to kill. There must be some AI wars going on as the Spanish and Egyptian troops have all withdrawn. Kill an English LB with an elite Rider and we get a leader. I swap Xinjian from the pentagon to a University. The MGL goes to Chinan which will finish its settler next turn. I don't know if I can reach the America settler before they found, if not we will raze the city. (21-1)
    (I) The Americans found on the spot. The Egyptians must have finished their war as they come pouring back. Nanking Aqueduct->Market, Chinan Settler->Pentagon

590 AD (4)
    The American spear can't protect Cincinnati and it is no more. I shuffle the armies around because we have 9 Egyptian swords and several English Knights headed our way. (22-1)
    (I) Lots of units pouring our way. Tenochtitlan Temple->Library, Shanghai Library->Temple, Chinan Pentagon->Settler.

600 AD (5)
    Kill two English Knightsand 1 LB. An Aztec musket and Knight. A Mongol LB is next to go. (27-1)
    (I) The units continue to come.

610 AD (6)
    We retreat a Keshik. Kill two English spears off a stack of 3 spears, 1 warrior, 5 swords and a settler. (30-1)
    (I) The Aztecs lose a LB attacking a fortified Rider. (31-1)

620 AD (7)
    Kill two Egyptian swords and capture a settler. Kill an English Knight. Pound the stack of Egyption swords with Trebs. New Beijing is moved and two more cities founded. (34-1)
    (I)Lots of enemy movement. Canton Library->Temple, Ningpo Settler->Settler, Chengdu Temple->University, Hangchow Heroic Epic->Temple, Tientsin Courthouse->Library, Tatung Aqueduct->Market

630 AD (8)
    Kill from Egypt, 1 spear, 5 swords. (40-1)
    (I) Enemy Movement but no attacks. Our GA ends.

640 AD (9)
    Egypt loses 1 spear, 1 archer, 2 warriors and 6 swords. The Aztecs lose 3 MDI. England loses a LB it landed at Nanking. (54-1)
    (I) Egypt loses an MDI attacking a rider. Shanghai Temple->Rider, Anyang Settler->Settler, Paoting Pike->Pike.

650 AD (10)
    Egypt loses 1 spear, 1 sword, 2 warriors, and a chariot. That ends the Egyptian rush. One English Knight dies, but I lose an elite Rider getting rid of 2 Aztec Muskets. (62-2)

We can start to switch back to military builds. We got a lot of infra done. Military Tradition is due in 7 and no one has started Bach's. We could also try to grab Smith's.

I sent a pike out to scout the lands to the north. While there is a lot of jungle and swamp in that direction, Nara has saltpeter and Osaka has dyes.

Attached Files:

18. ThERat

ThERat Deity

where did they appear from all of a sudden? :lol: anyway I got it

19. LKendter

LKendter Deity Supporter

Are we sure this is AWE? It seems really weird to have the time for wonders. Especially Leo's when we won't do a lot of upgrades. I can't remember the last time Smith's was even talked about.

Signed up:
    LKendter (on deck)
    Greebley
    Microbe
    Meldor
    ThERat (currently playing)

20. meldor

meldor Deity

1) I can't remember if I killed the archer that the English landed near Nanking. Please make sure that I didn't airball that one again.

2) Leo's is most likely a prebuild. We can either try and go for Bach's as soon as MilTrad is finished or we can bee-line for Econ and grab Smith's, or since we are most likely the most advanced on the lower half of the tech tree we can grab a science wonder to help research. I think the non-coastal capital and the food bonus expansion are allowing us to put a city to prebuilds. Having one ready to go is always a good thing.

3) The Spanish were most likely Japanese, sorry about that. Sometimes my fingers type before my brain can think.

4) I sent one pike out exploering, now that we know everyone, we should send out a couple more so we can have a better idea of which way we want to expand first. The area to the north would require a lot of work and I would prefer to let the AI use its manpower to do it but it does contain another lux and the salt, not to mention the 3 gems we could deny the AI.