1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK90 - Revenge of Mao, AWE

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Feb 2, 2005.

1. ThERat

ThERat Deity

save

Pre-turn
    there is a japanese archer next to Nanking, bombard it, an elite rider retreats and a warrior finally defeats it [1-0]

IT we are building a lot of infra, but our defense in the core is weak. get landing of musket and hoplite, spear and LB

1. 660AD
    try to shuffle armies, we need 1 in the east part to support salt town, 1 central and 1 west
    then realise that our rider army is still filled with 3 units only
    with this little units we fail to take out those 4 units, they will pillage :(
    no arty in the west to even ping LB
    beat 2 units [3-0]

IT LB dies at rider, 2 hp spear moves, musket pillages BG and hoplite moves, another MDI dies to pike
    [5-0]

2. 670AD
    combat settler founds salt city
    clear 3/4 units and kill another LB [9-0]
    MT now in 3

IT lots of units approach, tons of greek LB's
    Greek building Copernicus

3. 680AD
    kill another 3 units, 4th victory creates another MGL, go for an army
    get a MGL from a elite MDI :D . beat 4 more units [17-0]

IT the amount of incoming units is huge, we need more units

4. 690AD
    shuffle units and kill 10 units [27-0] including a settler pair

IT the mountains in northwest can be used as a killing zone
    elite sword defeats 1 units before losing to a knight, knight killed on defense [29-1]
    MT comes in , switch to astronomy in 9
    Greek finish Sistine, they also keep on sending muskets behind our lines
    at the same time egypt keeps on sending settler pairs

5. 700AD
    Leo swapped to military academy, kill 7 units [36-1] including settler pair

IT greek building Bachs, Paoting riots, MP issue :smoke:

6. 710AD
    raze Erdenet killing 3 units netting 39g and 1 slave
    raze Tatletonco killing 2 pikes, no more iron for aztecs I hope :D
    kill 7 more units [48-1]

IT lose a rider on defense [48-2]

7. 720AD
    found New Nanking, kill 11 units including settler pair [59-2]

IT our exploring pike gets attack on mountain, retreats a knight and defeats LB, but is down to 1hp [60-2]

8. 730AD
    kill 5 units [64-2]

IT Greek building Leo

9. 740AD
    6 kills later and we have another MGL from a Cav win :D . the win is in salt city, very far from core, decide to create army for Cavs
    defeat 2 more units [72-2]

IT our explorer pike gets killed, rider and cav win on defense [74-3]
    English also building Bachs now

10. 750AD
    found new Tsingtao on suggested spot
    kill 2 units in Coventry and raze town, defeat 5 more units [79-3]
    there is a settler in Anyang fortified, the new Cav army is filled with 1 unit only
    I left the army in Paoting unmoved to give next player chance to use with settler maybe.
    astronomy in 5, Leo could be changed to Copernicus according to what suits us best

2. ThERat

ThERat Deity

2 screenies,

our new holdings in the east

killing zone in the western mountain range

3. meldor

meldor Deity

Now we know who was fighting as I saw almost no American or Japanese units during my turns.

4. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

Signed up:
    LKendter (currently playing)
    Greebley (on deck)
    Microbe
    Meldor
    ThERat

Remember 10 turns per round - STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 to complete.
    5 to 10 turns starting with the Industrial Age.

Strict AWE rules for the LK series:

1) The second you meet a civ you must declare war. NO initial trading is allowed.

2) You may never open up the diplomacy screen except to declare war. You may never establish an embassy. If you use any civ tools you may not look at the trading tab.

3) Limited range armies. Armies may not travel more then 5 squares from the nearest cultural border.

4) Leader hording is prohibited. If you can't build an army this turn, then the leader must be used for a building rush.

5. LKendter

760 AD

The military academy is rushed in Hangchow. We now have stronger armies, and Hangchow will be one of our top shield locations if we want to start building them after the era of factories begin.

770 AD

I form another army. I am not sure how long it will stay empty. I haven't even filled the other cavalry army.
    (IT) Copernicus is built. I would much rather have US control the science rate. This stops scientific Greece from getting stronger in science. The already appear to be a possible science leader as they were already building this wonder.

Greece cascades to Leo's and Bach's.

780 AD
    I am going to take a gamble and capture the no culture city of Ulaanbaatar. I have no nearby settlers, and I want to keep that horse source out of AI hands. With 5 luxuries I hope we can keep 1 AI citizen happy.

I realize this may not be popular. I build a crusader as I can fill it NOW. I have 3 crusaders already available. It looks to be at least 5 to 10 turns to have enough cavalry to fill another army. 5 of the current 6 cavalry are slated for army use. The 5th is to fill out the rider army that is short a unit. This 6th one is an elite. That is with upgrading the victorious elite riders.

800 AD
    (IT) The Mongols start showing up around Ulaanbaatar. I wonder if that was there ONLY horse source?
    The Aztecs start Bach's.

810 AD
    I raze Dalandzadgad. I have to punish the Mongols for such awkward names. We pick up $2 and 6 workers.
    (IT) English knights join the party at Ulaanbaatar. This is getting rough.

820 AD
    Our lone rearguard elite rider saves us from a knight landing in the rear.
    (IT) I spot the first American knight. We have 4 civs that can build knights now.

830 AD
    You know the expansion is going well when new appears in front of a town. New Xinjian is formed.

840 AD
    If you want proof to never get rid of out of date elites:

I form an army that so far has just 1 cavalry.

I destroy El-Ashmunein, the latest AI attempt to control the gems area.

(IT) Our science advisor needs to be fired for this type of suggestions.

==========================
    Summary:
    Total kills are 8 spear, 19 longbows, 6 horses, 21 archers, 7 MDI, 2 AC, 17 knights, 7 muskets, 3 Keshiks, 1 hoplite, 3 pikes and 2 settlers. Total losses were 2 elite riders.

Leo's is a pre-build for Smith's. If Leo's is built we can play games with a bank and university to at least have a decent amount of shields for when economics is done.

Please leave the courthouses building. They are very underrated by most players. I will gladly pay $1 to recover even 1 shield. Most of the time they will recover more.

I would keep the 2 rider armies in the salt area. There are enough short burst of units to justify them staying.

I am on mostly military units. We have achieved the goals of salt, 5 luxuries, crippled the Aztecs, and Sun Tzu. However, the front is to long. We need more military. In addition, the AI attacks now seem all over the place. I have at least destroyed most of the obsolete Japanese and American units.

Signed up:
    LKendter
    Greebley (currently playing)
    Microbe (on deck)
    Meldor
    ThERat

1) The second you meet a civ you must declare war. NO initial trading is allowed.

2) You may never open up the diplomacy screen except to declare war. You may never establish an embassy. If you use any civ tools you may not look at the trading tab.

3) Limited range armies. Armies may not travel more then 5 squares from the nearest cultural border.

4) Leader hording is prohibited. If you can't build an army this turn, then the leader must be used for a building rush.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/LK90-850AD.zip

6. LKendter

The below are the plans for expansion.
    Gray dot gets the fighting away from the FP.
    We keep losing shields as the AI steps on important tiles.
    It opens up white dot to take control of another salt source.
    Japan has sent nothing but junk and I want to keep it that way.

The below are the plans to fill in the center.
    This will get the fighting away from the core.
    The gems will be under our control.
    I don't care if they are pillaged.
    I simply don't want the AI to have them.
    The two fronts will start to merge.

This is why we will need to head east eventually.
    Look at all the yummy resources to deny to the AI.
    I would be happy to add the wines.

I think the competition should be obvious.

7. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Ok, I got it. I will see what I can do.

8. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Power outage took out my original log.

Captured Tatu (Mongol Saltpeter), Nara, Almarikh. Note that Nara may be worth keeping (rather than the grey dot) for the dye that is nearby.

Destroyed several small towns and the Mongol Capitol

Built some towns.
    ---------------

The towns I kept seemed to fit in with our dot map. The exception is Nara. That I kept because we can road one more swamp and then build a Dye colony to get another Lux. We can move it if we want later. It is not in an ideal locale.

I think we should straighten out our line and also to backfill at this point. Lets dedicate an army to capturing all the towns to the South so we don't have to defend two borders.

The Mongols must be really hurting. We essentially have captured a good bit of their core.

Our land area rose from 13% to 17% on my turns. We just passed Egypt in land area.

Smiths in 17. Researching Physics.

9. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Here is a map:

10. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Very nice turns Greebley, we've exceeded Egypt in territory. I am playing now.

11. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

preturn: hmm, we are paying lux just for the Smith city. I move a pike into it and drop lux to 0. Raise sci to get Physics one turn earlier.

960AD: Found Chongqing.

Quite a few LBM approach us from the south..we need to clear it up.

MDI army kills knight. [1-0]

Pillage gems to America doesn't have it. But we are not allowed to look at the diplo screen to verify.

Cav army kills 3 settler pairs by its own. :goodjob: [4-0]

Rider army kills 2 knights. [6-0]

MDI army kills 2 Greek LBM. [8-0]

IBT 3 LBM lose to us. [11-0]

970AD:

I found Lasa. It's a bit off Lee's original dotmap but given the latest front town locations I think it's better.

Rider army kills pike/spear and raze York. [13-0]

Kill spear and raze Dallas. [14-0]

Kill 4 misc units. [18-0]

IBT lose a musket to longbow. [18-1]

980AD: MDI army kills 2 pikemen and razes Osaka. [20-1]

Kill 7 knights but lose MDI. [27-2]

Kill spear and raze Izumo. [28-2]

Kill musket and hoplite in Rhodes. [30-2]

IBT lose pike to sam. [31-3]

990AD: kill redlined sam. [32-3]

Kill 4 knights. [36-3]

Kill knight/spear pair. [38-3]

Kill 2 LBM. [40-3]

1000AD: Kill spear and LBM. [42-3]
    Kill settler pair. [43-3]
    Kill 3 knights. [46-3]
    Kill 2 LBM. [48-3]

IBT Greece completes JS Bach. Egypt switches to Smith's.

1010AD: Kill 6 Egyptian knights, still 3 in sight. [54-3]

Lose crusader and kill 2 hoplites and raze Rhodes. [56-4] We gain about 500g. :eek: Greece has a lot of gold. Let's raze more of its cities!

Kill LBM. [57-4]

1020AD: Kill 3 units and raze Edo. [60-4]

Kill 4 units. [64-4]

1030AD: max sci to ToG, so if Smith misses we might be able to switch.

Kill 8 units. [72-4]

1040AD: Kill knight. [73-4]

Kill 2 units and raze Aztec new capital. [75-4]

Kill 4 LBM. [79-4]

Kill 3 knights and a settler pair. [83-4]

1050AD: Kill musket/spear and autoraze Ixtapaluca. [85-4]

Kill 3 pikemen and there is still a reg pike in Hastings. [88-4]

Kill 4 knights. [92-4]

We are basically fighting America in the NW and Egypt in the NE. Armies pretty much takes care of them.

Attached Files:

12. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

We have two new luxes soon.

13. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

14. LKendter

While I don't mind an occasional capture for special reasons I don't want to start capturing most cities! If nothing else it is very hard to get them into correct 3 apart spacing.

Signed up:
    LKendter
    Greebley
    Microbe
    Meldor (currently playing)
    ThERat (on deck)

15. meldor

meldor Deity

Please swap me with ThERat or skip me.

16. LKendter

ThERat has been playing so fast I will do a skip. The swap won't buy you any time.

Signed up:
    LKendter (on deck, and trying to recover from feast overload)
    Greebley
    Microbe
    Meldor
    ThERat (currently playing)

=========================

With our strong position I would like to snag Newton's to keep us the tech leaders. Please switch Beijing to Bank as a Newton's pre-build.

This is definitely a game of push to Steam Power and factories. The AI pressure hasn't been that bad, and I don't feel a real need for rifles.

:confused: How did we get the 2 Japanese catapults stuck in the jungle?

I can't say for sure, but I wonder if the next goal is the death of the Aztecs. I suspect there isn't much land left toward the east. I would love to take a civ out of the game.

17. ThERat

ThERat Deity

well, if I would have known about this skip a few hours earlier, I would have played already.
    It's too late now and I only played 2 turns so far, need to go bed. will finish tomorrow after work

18. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I felt the towns I kept fit nicely in with the 3-3 pattern. If they hadn't worked out I would have replaced them.

The real problem is that we need more settlers than our core can support. For the lands to the SE, I would keep any we can make fit and do not have a chance of flipping. Our rate of expansion is very much tied to the number of settlers we can build using enemy cities where we can will allow us to gain territory faster.

19. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Yes we are definitely short of settlers. On the other hand, our fronts are too long and we are short of units too. I would clear the east and south and that's why I have a cav army going east and a few cavs/riders/crusaders going south. Those LBMs coming from the weak AIs are still annoying because we often have only one pike defending the towns.

20. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

We razed a town and captured them, but without roads they couldn't return home.

The pressure is not that much, but America and Egypt keeps sending knights to us and I had to kill more than 10 of them per turn at some point. Furtunately we have enough armies.

I haven't seen a single cavalry from the AI. It's really strange. I believe they have the tech, but just lack resources. I really like to see which resources they have, and how many cities are left, but due to the rule we cannot do that.

I am thinking to stop research for a few turns to upgrade our pikes to muskets, to prepare for the upcoming cavalry.