LK90 - Revenge of Mao, AWE

microbe said:
I am thinking to stop research for a few turns to upgrade our pikes to muskets, to prepare for the upcoming cavalry.
If we start hurting from Cavalry I would consider this. Until that happens I prefer research at full steam toward Steam. Rails would do wonders to help defend our long empire.

They very well may not have the tech. IIRC, we started full out toward MT before the GLib expired with a strong economy to back it during our GA. It is not unlikely that the AI headed for the upper techs. Also we have battered all but two civs, so the number of AI trades would be down.

If they don't have it yet, I think it will be coming soon.

On the other hand, 120 gold is too much for +1 defense, IMO. I would rather simply make sure we keep building muskets and push to get rails ASAP.

If we start hurting from Cavalry I would consider this. Until that happens I prefer research at full steam toward Steam. Rails would do wonders to help defend our long empire
agreed with this. we shouldn't stop research until steam at least.

Yes we are definitely short of settlers
I saw that as well. we need more fo them desperately. Unfortunately, during the 2 turns I played so far, the city in the south autorazed.
I rather get the 2 additional luxes connected first.

One more thing: we can see the Ocean in the north now. After razing Hastings (got Leo inside), I moved a little to the north and the land ends there. We can cut the land into 2 there and work our way eats and west.

edit: the movement and razing now is very much restricted by our own expansion. armies can't go more than 5 tiles out and we have cleared a corridor around our land. we need settlers, settler and more settlers

I would have kept Leo.
sorry then guys. it was taking me a while to decide whether to raze it or keep it. it was at pop 8 when I attacked, so we would have to starve it down to avoid flips. (in this game I won't even bother to use mapstat since I do not want any info accidentaly, so % of flip risk not known).
The city is a bit far off from our land at the moment and we have 0 settlers available, it would take a while to connect. Egpyt is running around with knights there, essentially we would need to park an army inside to defend (another outside). if the city flips (and that's possible), we would lose that.

so, after all this, I decided to raze it.
I feel we do not really need to upgrade units in the game. The core can keep obsolete MP's. We have Cav's already and no more riders to upgrade. upgrading to muskets isn't really that crucial, I felt.

upgrading of arty is the only issue, but I remember this huge discussion in an LK game on pangaea about it. I don't think we are in this situation due to the fact that we have armies. So, overall Leo isn't really that important in my mind.

I hope you all can live with this and not want to :ar15::spank: me

It's OK for it to flip or be captured, just capture it back. Do not put units into it.
that's the usual strategy, of course. but with knights around, they could just enter the city, if there are no units inside. so, we need to put some units inside and at the moment, we do not have units close by except for 2 armies. unless we do not mind the city to be captured and we take it again and again. :crazyeye:

but, if the team feels is was a :smoke: move, I will accept the mistake. sorry guys.

Greebley said:
I would have kept Leo.

Similarly, I would keep Pyramids (London?).
Leo's is on my list to capture. Along with Pyramids, Zeus (if active for awhile), Bach's, Sistines (in games with building churches).

How weak do the Aztecs look? I wonder if we could just capture all there cities.

How weak do the Aztecs look? I wonder if we could just capture all there cities.
very weak, 2 cities taken out already and I can only see one more green border in the east. just too far off for our armies (5 tile movement restriction). will try and get Cavs there and take it. also, took the mongol capital, but they seem to have at least one more city. would like to finish them off as well.

save

Pre-turn
reduce science to 90%, ToG still in 4. change a few fringe towns to growth

IT no counter attacks

1. 1060AD
kill LB, kill pike and raze Hastings and Leo, it's too far off at the moment to keep it. peep north of Hastings and discover ocean there, maybe a chance to tighten the front
kill another 7 units [9-0]

IT spear defends against knight loses to 2nd knight [10-1]

2. 1070AD
raze Texcoco killing 2 units, 4 more
kill 3 units and raze Kazan, raze Tamium with 2 units

IT musket and army defend against knight and samurai [12-1]

3. 1080AD
raze Tanis, auto raze Norwich, reduce science to 80%, ToG next turn [19-1]

IT in the north Egypt sends a few knights. ToG is in, next magnetism, at 8 turns at -12gpt. Greeks start Newton

4. 1090AD
attack Mandalgovi in the south, capture it

take out a few more units, one settler pair [25-1]

5. 1100AD
autoraze Malinalco and Xocicalco, taking 2 settler pairs [37-1]

IT the 1st Greek cavalry appears and take 2 trebs and a slave away :mad:

6. 1110AD
take out that Cav with our 'army giving leader' and get another MGL, that is the right retribution.
found New Macao in the south, take our trebs back [42-1]

IT we get Smith, Greek start Newton (again?), Egypt start Shakespeare

7. 1120AD
found dyes city and we got our 6th lux
take out Yokohama, capture Tzintzuntsen [52-1]
magnetism now in 5

8.1130AD
found new Anyang to get us closer to our new Aztec cities
found silk connection and 7th lux is ours as well, capture Tula in the east, raze Dover
capture Campola,

now there is quite an area to fill in [61-1]

IT 2 Greek cav show up again

9. 1140AD
defeat both, army gets first view of London [66-1]

IT a lot of units show up near dyes city, we enter the IA. but are broke with 9g. go for steam

10. 1150AD
get another MGL, leave it fortified in Almarikh for next player to decide what to do with it. left 2 settlers unmoved, since next player
can come up with a plan which gaps to fill, we currently have 6 settlers available
there are 2 armies ready to approach London, the army there defeated 2 pikes already
steam is in 13 turns only
maybe we could use the leader to rush a university or so

the east with a lot of gaps at the moment

the north where most units approach

You got 2 dead civs in 10 turns. :goodjob:

take out that Cav with our 'army giving leader' and get another MGL
That is always fun to see the same unit give multiple leaders. I think one game had a triple - horse, knight and cavalry.

Signed up:
LKendter (currently playing)
Greebley (on deck)
Microbe
Meldor
ThERat

Remember 10 turns per round - STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 to complete.
5 to 10 turns starting with the Industrial Age.

Strict AWE rules for the LK series:

1) The second you meet a civ you must declare war. NO initial trading is allowed.

2) You may never open up the diplomacy screen except to declare war. You may never establish an embassy. If you use any civ tools you may not look at the trading tab.

3) Limited range armies. Armies may not travel more then 5 squares from the nearest cultural border.

4) Leader hording is prohibited. If you can't build an army this turn, then the leader must be used for a building rush.

microbe said:
So still no cavalry? :eek:

You missed the following from the report:
IT the 1st Greek cavalry appears and take 2 trebs and a slave away

EDIT: I caught your away from the weekend comment. Can you confirm the exact dates so that I know what LK games to skip you in. I know you are up in LK88 right now.

That is always fun to see the same unit give multiple leaders. I think one game had a triple - horse, knight and cavalry.
we need to upgrade it to guerilla then. last turn, it just survived retreating a 2hp knight with 1hp left :lol:

the main challenge now is to settle faster than light. there is a lot of land available and with so many armies now, defense is not an issue at all. Of course, we need to watch out for the enhanced range of Cav's, that's where the Greek caught me and captured the trebs and slave behind the lines. luckily they approach from the north and jungle + mountains slow them down.

I would like to push to Greece's core. They seem to be the only one with cavalry. Once we destroy its horses or saltpeter it'd be a walk over. Also don't forget it had a lot of gold (not sure if still the case), so razing each of its cities would probably gain hundreds of gold.

I would like to push to Greece's core. They seem to be the only one with cavalry. Once we destroy its horses or saltpeter it'd be a walk over. Also don't forget it had a lot of gold (not sure if still the case), so razing each of its cities would probably gain hundreds of gold.
sounds like a good pan, however, I did not even see any of their cities close, north it's america. greek must be somewhere behind a bend in the island since we can see borders beyond some ocean (or canal). if we want to push that way, we need more settlers up north. there is 1 on the way at the moment, but that's not enough

Top Bottom