LK95 - Raze Three to Dominate the World V2, mystery civ

1750 BC (0)
The Mongols get Pottery for HBR and 6g. HBR, 33g and 7gpt goes to Cathy for Writing. HBR goes to the China for Mysticism and 1g.
(I) Orleans Worker->curragh

1725 BC (1)
(I)Mao demands 12g. He then starts the Pyramids.

1700 BC (2)
We meet the Byzantines and they have Iron Working, Math, Philo, Maps and Poly. Found Marseilles.
(I)Paris Settler->Settler, Tours Warrior->Warrior

1650 BC (4)
(I)The Japanese finish the Pyramids in Kyoto.

1600 BC (6)
(I)Paris Settler->Settler

1575 BC (7)
(I)Tours Warrior->Warrior

1525 BC (9)
(I)Lyons Worker->Warrior.

1500 BC (10)
Nada.

I have been building cheap MP for us It is being too expensive for us to not have them. Even with 2 luxes on line.

Attachments

• LK95-1500BC.zip
    140 KB · Views: 71
Signed up:
LKendter
Greebley
Meldor
Arathorn (currently playing)
Microbe (on deck)

Remember 10 turns per round - STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 to complete.
Leftover raze credit from previous player: 0
New razes from current player: 0
New raze credit current: 0

Raze Three to Dominate the World, version 2.
This game is a normal game until we can't add another city to the empire during the expansion phase. Any new city must connect to the empire, and it must claim at least 12 new tiles.

After the expansion phase is over, the variant conditions are active. After we raze 3 cities, then we have the credit to acquire another one. That additional city can be through any method including from a peace treaty. The razed city credits extend between wars. We may not exceed this count for even a millisecond

The right to acquire a city doesn't expire. If we have razed 6 cities, and haven't added anymore we can acquire 2 more.

If we lose a city the razed count goes back to zero and we forfeit the right to acquire 1 city. If we had the right to acquire 3 cities, the new count would be 2.

If a city is abandoned we don't add 1 to the right to acquire cities. The only way we can abandon and replace a city is if we already have the right to acquire 1 city.

Well, now. How does one play Civ3 again? Something about building things starting with "w".... Oh, well. I'm sure it'll come back to me at some point.

In trying to get my bearings, I note we're down all visible techs to everybody except Japan. Japan is only up Iron Working and Polytheism. We're working on IW, of course, so we'll have no trade possibility once it comes in. Too late to stop now, though. Twofers are right out, as we have nowhere near enough cash.

Early turns are pretty straightforward, try to settle here, there, and everywhere, in a slightly more spaced pattern than typical, making sure each city has 12+ squares and a reasonable chance to not flip.

And sending out explorers. There's a lot of land around and we only have a couple warriors out exploring. Heck, it's almost impossible to even know where to settle, we have so little map information. Nearly all warriors produced are sent out on exploration missions.

Of course, this ticks a few people off, so I leave when kicked out by Mao, Theodora, Mao again, Theodora again, Cathy, etc. I also kiss Mao's feet in 1450 when he comes demanding all 14 of our gold. I briefly toyed with the idea of saying "NO!" just to get Lee's reaction, but it's so blatantly wrong, I just couldn't do it.

In 1325, upon founding Rouen in a slightly dangerous cultural spot (the temple should be whipped on turn 7 of the next player's turn), we got the FP message. Avignon might be the place for it. That's when things started heating up a bit.

A warrior met a different blue guy up in Theodora's territory in 1300 BC. He claimed to be an emissary of the Germans, led by some guy named Bismarck. Upon checking with them, they are only up Polytheism and Iron Working. Again, some x-fer action might be possible with cash (which would have been demanded away earlier, I know). Anyway, it drops our time to IW to 1 turn...1 beaker in fact. Typically, in that case, you can buy the tech for next-to-nothing. But, no, any civ with IW (all 5 of them, in this case) are insulted at the thought of 8 gold. Wild. I'll just complete the research.

So, when IW comes in, what do I pick? Literature, but I put no gold into it. I smell a deal coming soon, if we can swing it. Plus, the only iron anywhere near us is on the island to our SW and we will need Map Making ASAP to be able to claim it.

1275 shows more fruits of exploration labor. Egypt, in stunning yellow garb, is met in the east. She knows Math, Philosophy, and Polytheism that we don't. I want to buy MM and then trade it around for more cash and stuff, but we can't afford it yet. I'll risk one more turn at 0 sci and then see what happens.

Oh, BTW, Japan has iron, up by the Byzantines, but it was unconnected last we saw. Egypt has two sources, as they have one for trade (though we have no trade route). China has a source, unconnected as far as we know. And that's it, other than the one on "our" island, that we may have to hurry to claim.

In 1250, we can afford Map Making. China has the best deal for it...9 of our 40 gold and all 24 gpt (or maybe 1 less gpt and a bit more up-front). I'm certain we could then send MM to Egypt for Math and gold. With MM and Math, we'd be certain of getting Polytheism from Germany, but I'm not sure about Philosophy from Japan, though it's definitely a possibility, depending on what they've been researching. Polytheism would open up Monarchy for a nice min run on an expensive govt tech that we'll need/want (more on this later), since our cash will be tied up for 20 turns. 3 techs in 20 turns is a good deal, though, and it might be our only way to get iron. NOTE: I did *NOT* make any of these trades. I left it open to the team and the next player. I would do it in a solo game, for sure, but it's not appropriate for a turn 10 deal, IMO.

On government, I think we'll be needing to build big old slow stacks and using alliances, which means Monarchy, not Republic, will probably be better. We have no native horses and none particularly near. Our UU is best suited for slower, grind-out war. Plus, we really, really want to avoid casualties and slow stacks are better at that, if you can afford the time. With alliances (probably necessary), we can play "pick on the leader" and show a strong front, to get the razes we need. I think Monarchy and stacks of swords/MDI/longbow with catapult/trebuchet/cannon support and spears/pikemen/musketeers defending will be the way to go. With China and Japan as neighbors, the knight age won't be the most friendly to us, but big stacks and good allies will allow us some progress.

For me, I built warriors, workers, and settlers. A couple curraghs for exploration, and I started two temples in culture-attacked cities (Japan founded AFTER we did), plus one granary in a city I can't remember but that looks to have great worker factory potential -- ???? Worker Factory 2B or something like that.

Major NOTE Lux tax will need to be increased to 10% before you press enter!!! Else Paris will riot. This might cause a tiny budget problem, short-term, if you pay the 24 gpt, but it will resolve quickly as other towns grow.

Minor note, whip Rouen when you can, to get its temple up ASAP. It's in a culture war.

That's it for now. Fun stuff, but should be more fun later, when the fireworks begin. :) :D

Arathorn

lurker's comment: As Sirian recently said "Old soldiers never die, they just fade away"...I look forward to following this one

In 1250, we can afford Map Making. China has the best deal for it...9 of our 40 gold and all 24 gpt (or maybe 1 less gpt and a bit more up-front).
I say make the deal with the qualification of more gold up front. Gold will be demanded away and I prefer not to be to stretched for GPT. Without mapmaking we could get into a dispute on when the variant rule after the expansion phase is over, the variant conditions are active. This variant all but requires mapmaking.

Signed up:
LKendter (on deck)
Greebley
Meldor
Arathorn
Microbe (currently playing)

This game is a normal game until we can't add another city to the empire during the expansion phase. Any new city must connect to the empire, and it must claim at least 12 new tiles.

After the expansion phase is over, the variant conditions are active. After we raze 3 cities, then we have the credit to acquire another one. That additional city can be through any method including from a peace treaty. The razed city credits extend between wars. We may not exceed this count for even a millisecond

The right to acquire a city doesn't expire. If we have razed 6 cities, and haven't added anymore we can acquire 2 more.

If we lose a city the razed count goes back to zero and we forfeit the right to acquire 1 city. If we had the right to acquire 3 cities, the new count would be 2.

If a city is abandoned we don't add 1 to the right to acquire cities. The only way we can abandon and replace a city is if we already have the right to acquire 1 city.

Arathorn said:
we got the FP message. Avignon might be the place for it.
That is always good news in ANY deity game. I've had more then one game at deity where it took ages before we could build it.

Arathorn said:
On government, I think we'll be needing to build big old slow stacks and using alliances, which means Monarchy, not Republic, will probably be better.
I agree with this. I really don't like Republic as much since the made units cost 2 gold each for support. I don't want a needed war to have major problems due to war weariness.

I finally got a chance to look at the game. There is *IRON* on the island. The Map Making deal is a must.

Looking at the lands we claimed we really need workers. The amount of jungle and swamps we have is absurd. If we get a lot of that island we gain mostly swamp and jungle. :rolleyes:

Plus, the only iron anywhere near us is on the island to our SW and we will need Map Making ASAP to be able to claim it.

Was I not clear enough with this?

Anyway, as I've thought about this a bit more, we should definitely minimize the gpt part of the payments to China and go ahead and spend our cash. We'll get cash from Egypt and probably from Germany and/or Japan, too. Income is more valuable than cash on-hand at this point.

As for workers, I couldn't agree more. One thing to remember is that the AI will never send workers to clear lands outside their cultural borders, so the river to our SE surrounded by marsh can be ours, if we get a couple workers to clear a spot for a settler. I think we should do that, once we get the island settled and we have a bit more workforce.

I started one town on a granary that can be an every-other turn worker factory once we are out of despotism. Paris can actually do warrior, worker repeat every two turns (even in despotism) if we let it grow, but we need the settlers more right now, as we need to get to the island soonest.

Arathorn

Arathorn said:
Was I not clear enough with this?
I read through your report and I didn't notice it. However, I often miss things like that unless highlighted. I think that is why I bold for the critical stuff. I didn't stick with me from your report.

preturn: raise lux to 10.

Interesting. When I ask "what do you want for Map Making" mao says "never", but if I manually do it we can buy with 23gpt+27g. I buy it and can still keep lux at 10 just break even.

Map Making to Egypt for Mathematics+26g. No deal possible from Japan. Map Making+Math to Germany for Polytheism+27g.

Egypt has monopoly on Monarchy, and Russia/China/Byzantines have CoL/Construction. They wouldn't trade with each other.

I make Orleans max shields and galley in 8 turns, and by doing so we actually make 1gpt.

1200BC: capital grows to 6 and we raise lux to 20 this turn.

IBT Germany starts Great Lighthouse.

1175BC: Germany starts MoM. A Chinese galley heads toward the island. :( We are 4 turns away from the galley, but instead of whipping it I use the two curraghs to block it. :D

Found Grenoble.

1125BC: We can afford min research on Lit..

1050BC: Byzantines complete MoM.

1025BC: We found Dijon to claim the iron. We are making +6gpt now.

1000BC: raise lux to 20 this turn.

Note: there is Chinese settler pair going to claim the spot west to Orleans. Our next settler should settle first. Our existing settler is going to found on the hills NE to Grenoble.

All following settlers then should claim the island.

Make sure to block the Chinese galley like this. As long as it cannot move to costal tiles within 3 movements it'd go back to Xinjian. Do this until we settle the entire island.

Attachments

• LK95-1000BC.zip
    183.2 KB · Views: 67
Signed up:
LKendter (currently playing)
Greebley (on deck)
Meldor
Arathorn
Microbe

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/LK95-750BC.zip

We still have one mystery civ hiding out there. I hope to find them soon.

975 BC
The Byzantines complete the Great Wall.

950 BC
I pop rush the temple in Rouen at exactly 20 shields needed.

925 BC
Amiens is formed and starts a temple. Our empire badly needs more culture to avoid flips.

900 BC
Cherbourg is formed and it starts a harbor.
I partial whip temples in Avignon and Grenoble via settler, then back to temple.
(IT) Our minimum science run is a waste as multiple civs starts the Great Library.

825 BC
I whip a temple in Rheims.
I should have done this on the first turn. I swap our minimum science to Monarchy. We can't get to a better government quick enough.
(IT) Egypt completes Temple of Artemis. That is a wonder I am glad is far away from us.
They ALSO complete Hanging Gardens the same turn.

800 BC
Japan is going to build a city NW of Orleans. I had a feeling that was where the land-based settler was going, but they also snuck one in by boat. I swap Orleans to temple because of the upcoming culture conflict.
(IT) The Byzantines get $25. Japan is next for $24.
Moscow completes the Great Library and the Great Lighthouse.

==========================

Summary:
I can sum up our needs in 2 words: Culture and Workers.
Culture is due to multiple cities are in culture conflict. Please finish whipping the temples where possible.
Even with Industrious the lands are so horrid we probably need to double our worker force.

IMPORTANT: China has a settler wandering on the island. If Greebley isn't careful we will lose a city spot there.
The settler in Besancon is heading toward the worker on the swamp.

I think the expansion phase is over and Paris is now on worker duty. Greebley, if you can find a legitimate spot I missed you can swap back to settler. We won't get another spot on the island as I expect China to claim the fish on the hill spot.

I started irrigation from Rouen towards Rheims. Please keep it moving that way. Several of our cities are dead for population until those plains are irrigated.

Signed up:
LKendter
Greebley (currently playing)
Meldor (on deck)
Arathorn
Microbe

After the expansion phase is over, the variant conditions are active. After we raze 3 cities, then we have the credit to acquire another one. That additional city can be through any method including from a peace treaty. The razed city credits extend between wars. We may not exceed this count for even a millisecond.

Preturn: I think there is room for a second settler in the swamp and perhaps a fourth one on the island. It costs less to research Monarchy than to buy it. I decide to go full research so we can get it. It is a govt tech and thus costs more.

IBT:

730 BC: Build the town Poiters on the island. I send our warrior to try to stand on the one spot I think China can build a city on that island. By using the boat I think I can beat the Chinese Settler. It means leaving the new town undefended, but I doubt China will try to take it.

IBT:

710 BC: There are Gems close to our borders. Not sure if we could claim them. They are mostly in Chinese territory. I think our first war may be with China. We could use another Lux.

IBT:

690 BC: Build Toulouse in the swamp. It looks like one more town in the Swamp and one more on the island will be it. When those are built we will start the Variant.

670 BC:

650 BC:

630 BC:

610 BC:

590 BC: Build Bayonne, the fourth and last city on the island.

570 BC:

550 BC: Dijon riots. Unfortunately, it will starve next turn back to size 1.

Notes: I switched the worker factory to a temple. It needs more shield squares. Right now it makes tons of food but take too long to get the shields for the worker. I would rush it when it has 40 shields to go (4 turns or so).

We have a settler on a square that is Swamp. We started clearing it but have some turns to go. After it is settled (5 turns) we start the variant.

I am building Barracks so we can start building forces. I would like to hit china in the not to distant future.

Here is a picture of our territory.

One thing I forgot: I didn't start the Forbidden Palace. We should decide on a city and start building it.

Also research is still much cheaper than buying Monarchy, but we might be able to get another tech as some civs don't have it. The cost was 19 gpt and our 66 gold. Japan and Germany both don't have it so it is probably worth buying it and then trading for other techs from them.

Signed up:
LKendter
Greebley
Meldor (currently playing)
Arathorn (on deck)
Microbe

After the expansion phase is over, the variant conditions are active. After we raze 3 cities, then we have the credit to acquire another one. That additional city can be through any method including from a peace treaty. The razed city credits extend between wars. We may not exceed this count for even a millisecond.

Top Bottom