1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK99, RaR - 5CCC+, Deity

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Apr 21, 2005.

1. LKendter

LKendter Chieftain Supporter

Signed up:
    LKendter (currently playing)
    Greebley (on deck)
    Microbe
    Sanabas
    ThERat

Remember 10 turns per round - STRICT 24 hours got it, total 48 to complete.
    Previous players credit toward city #6: 0

We must count the number of cities we raze. When the number of razed cities exceeded the number of cities we have we may build another city. After that the razed city count resets to zero.
    For example:
    We razed 6 cities. We build our 6th city. We must then raze another 7 cities (total of 13) for the right to build the 7th city.
    NOTE: We can't capture cities!
    Our city count can't ever exceed the amount allowed for even a millisecond.

To be stared later today.

2. LKendter

The following tactics are PROHIBITED:

RoP Abuse Tactics - Denying resources, blocking key tiles, RoP rape, or other ways to screw-up a civ via the RoP. A scout in AI territory has an explicit RoP and is subject to this rule.

Peace Treaty abuse - If you get concessions from the AI you must wait for the 20 turns to end before declaring another war.

Resource abuse - You can't disconnect / reconnect a resource every turn for the sake of building cheap units to upgrade with excess cash.

Ship chaining exploit - you can move a ship, unload troops to another ship in the same square not using any movement, move that ship, etc. This allows you to ship an indefinite distance, and that is why I consider it an exploit.

The negative science exploit - you can run a huge deficit (-250 / turn) of negative cash with a token penalty of one lost worker / cheap building. If cash will go below zero, the research level must be dropped.

Palace Jump - You abandon the capital city to move the palace to a new location. If you want to move the palace, build a new palace.

Mass troop jumping - You can't give away a give a city to transport a large amount of troops to another landmass.

Worker baiting - You can't spread around and sacrifice workers to an oncoming attack. This is often done to avoid losing real units or cities. This takes advantage of the AI failure to prioritize targets.

Standard LK house rules:
    1) Worker automation of any kind is prohibited.

2) Worker blockades are prohibited. This prevents things such as fortifying workers along the coast to stop invasions, blocking troops from going through your territory with workers, etc. Workers activity doing something along the coast is fine. The workers must be actively doing something.

3) You may not declare war on a civ if you are currently shipping cash and / or goods to the civ.

4) Even if not covered under exploits listed, please try not to use tactics that take advantage of holes in the game design.

5) Our reputation is golden - please respect it.

6) Self-research is highly preferred, if it is viable. I would rather invest money in beakers to toward science, then waste it on demands. Minimum research is discouraged unless we have no viable alternatives. This may happen at times such as going for republic early on, or late game to insure we get nationalism.

7) As you probably know barbs are screwed up in C3C. It is preferred that you add the following line to your Civ3 .ini file - noAIpatrol=0. Adding "noAIpatrol=0" to the .ini file turns the annoying patrolling back on for the AIs, but also restores movement to the barbarians.

3. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

lurker's comment: Why did LK100 come before LK99? ;)

4. LKendter

LK99 was already started! See the LK planning thread. All that was out of order was the posting of the threads.

================

I have picked the Aztec's. A jag rush for a GA the second after revolt looks good.

5. LKendter

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/LK99-2150BC.zip

3850 BC
    This is a different start to me. It seems like every high food start I get is on flood plains. I actually got a grasslands based high food start.

3000 BC
    I meet the Ottomans, but no trades are possible.

2670 BC
    I meet Russia that is real close to the Ottomans.

2510 BC
    I meet up with France. I still can't pull of any trades. We had better get Math at first.

2230 BC
    Teotihuacan is formed.

2190 BC
    We meet England at the perfect time. Time to trade my Math monopoly tech.

I give England Math for Masonry and $40.
    I give Russia Math and $5 for Scrape Mining. We will want to build forges. Dumb luck pays off as Teotihuacan is built on iron!
    I give France Math and $5 for Writing.
    I give the Ottomans Math and $45 for Cultivation.
    I start research on Pottery.

==========================

Summary:

I see a jag rushed GA the second we have left chiefdom.

Once we find the last of the civs please recall the Jags home. We will need every possible unit for our jag rush.

Signed up:
    LKendter
    Greebley (currently playing)
    Microbe (on deck)
    Sanabas
    ThERat

We must count the number of cities we raze. When the number of razed cities exceeded the number of cities we have we may build another city. After that the razed city count resets to zero.
    For example:
    We razed 6 cities. We build our 6th city. We must then raze another 7 cities (total of 13) for the right to build the 7th city.
    NOTE: We can't capture cities! All cities must be native built.

6. LKendter

The initial starting lands. We are in a weird spot at the top of the map. This could make MOW a challenge for us.

7. sanabas

sanabas Psycho Bunny Hall of Fame Staff

Interesting start location for a pangaea. Our first 5 cities should just fill the area down to the chokepoint nicely. Nice work getting 3 shields in the capital's city square too.

8. Greebley

Greebley Chieftain Supporter

I got it.

In a set up like this, I sometimes like placing a city that gives a "shortcut" for boats and that guards the peninsula. Do we want to place a settler on the forest that does this? Not sure if it should be city 3, 4, or 5.

The ability to move ships from one side to the other when the enemy cannot is pretty strong. It is also the city most likely to be contested (or rather, with that city we can keep out any settlers from our nearby lands).

I will not start tonight so we can discuss city placement.

9. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Where is RaR 1.04?

10. bed_head7

bed_head7 Chieftain

11. sanabas

sanabas Psycho Bunny Hall of Fame Staff

Definitely think we need a canal city, I'd probably build it next to remove the risk of the ottomans stealing the spot.

12. Greebley

Preturn: Keep things as they are.

1990 BC: We got Pottery. No trades possible. In fact all known AI have all the techs we can learn next. Start on Domestication in 7

Decide to go for a clan after worker housing.

1950 BC: We meet Germany. They are down Cultivation and Mathematics. I can trade for slavery and Mysticism if I add in 24 gold and 1 gpt. I make this trade. Now we are down all 5 visible techs from the 4 previous known civs and down Domestication (researching) and boat building (2 turns to learn).

1750 BC: We get Domestication. Germany now has all techs we could learn except for Weaving. I set research to Weaving. We can discuss and change this.

Capitol finishes clan which I am sending south to the forest as mentioned.

Domestication shows horses which we needed.

I am building a Tribal Guardian, and then I think we should build a clan for city 4.

Here is a dot map of where I would place the rest of the cities. I maximized the 5 city sites trying to get hills into their radius.

[Edit: Note that Blue dot has a lot of Bonus Grassland.]

13. LKendter

IMO the only tech path is getting to Dynasticism and to revolt out of the crippling chiefdom. I want to start the Jag Rush soon. I want of GA out of Chiefdom. I can't remember if Domestication was needed toward Dynasticism. If not, we lost seven turns. The jags value weakens quickly with only having attack 2.

Signed up:
    LKendter
    Greebley
    Microbe (currently playing)
    Sanabas (on deck)
    ThERat

For example:

14. Greebley

Given we have no iron, I felt we needed to know where the horses and camels are before we settled the towns.

Scrap iron is also a waste of turns by the same standard. If we were going purely for a Jag rush, we shouldn't have gone for that either.

BTW, my dot map may not be not good enough. The AI will grab our horses.

I also realize I am a bit out of date. Cows no longer depend on Domestication. It used to be you had a very good chance of getting bonus food for it (now its just pigs) so it was a better bargain. It also used to be required for Dyn. Checking I see it isn't anymore.

In any case that was my reasoning. I am still learning RaR. I don't think it will be too bad because we need to get our towns laid down before we go for our GA.

15. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

I thought we have iron underneath the 2nd city?

I would shift that light green dot to a location south-west of that horse. coastal towns can be mighty powerful in RaR. We can always grab that original spot once the 5CCC+ rule kicks in.

16. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

I got it .

17. LKendter

We DO have iron as I remember reporting it hidden underneath our 2nd city. I don't think we would have found camels, as I believe they are limited to desert and flood plains.

I agree with keeping your blue and red dots. The green needs to be moved to insure we have the horses. With the horses and iron we have enough tech and resources to go quite awhile.

18. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

preturn: switch capital to granary. We should have time to do so before AI grabs everything.

1675BC: France starts Hanging Gardens.

buy Weaving from Ottomans by 14g. Weaving to Germany for Fermentation+1g. It reveals two Wool for our next city. :D

Set to Castle System.

IBT Germany starts Great Wall.

1650BC: We found Tlatelolco. It's going to be a powerhouse. I start worker housing. Castle System in 5 turns.

1625BC: Ottomans establish embassy with us. It doesn't know Germany.

1600BC: France starts Sphinx, and completes Oracle. Russia starts Stonehenge.

1550BC: We meet India. It's up the same techs.

Attached Files:

19. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

20. LKendter

Only one civ left to find. Make sure to recall those jags after the last civ if found.

I agree, though it will need a border expansion to really shine. Not to mention we want that luxury on-line.

Since we are only trying to grab 5 initial cities, I am not sure how much this helped. With only 2 settlers to go I don't think we will hit the payback point. We are still in chiefdom where going broke is a real possibility. I almost did one game getting to the point of hiring taxman to avoid bankruptcy.

The fifth city location is set with knowing where the silks are. One tile west of the horses puts silks in the cities second ring.

Did we peel a worker out of really slow growing Teotihuacan? I can't figure out why growth to size 2 is longer then the end of Greebley's turns.

I noticed we started a regular jag. IMO jags attack 2 units are weak to begin with in this game. Do we want to weaken things further with regulars? This is important toward plan our wars.

Signed up:
    LKendter
    Greebley
    Microbe
    Sanabas (currently playing)
    ThERat (on deck)

For example: