LLL1 - The faithful servants of the Mushroom Cloud

Lullaby

peaceful builder
The title is an hommage to the post apocalyptic rpg classic "Wasteland".

Settings:
Small world, archi 60%, roaming barbs, other settings standard
Civ: the fierce atomic superpower of Korea.
Victory Conditions enabled: standard. However, only a conquest will be considered a win.
Difficulty: Emperor

As for exploits, standard rules do apply.

Length of turn sets: 20 to start, 10 after that.
24 hours to get it, 48 to play.

Special rules:

This game will be split in two phases:

Phase 1 (before space flight is researched):
We are not allowed to declare war.
If we are at war, we have to try and sue for peace at the end of every turn. If we don't have to pay for peace, we have to make peace. We may haggle to get the most out of the peace treaty.
The same applies if we are offered peace.
No MA's, no trade embargoes, no MPP's.
Our rep is sacred. No intentional breaking of pt deals allowed, no raising or abandoning of cities.
Entering the Modern Age we have to research fission, rocketry and space flight as first three techs.

Phase 2:
The turn we reach space flight we have to declare war on every remaining civ. From now on this will be an always war game.
We are only allowed to raze or capture cities AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN NUKED.
It is not of importance who bombed the city, but it must have been nuked.
The only exception to this rule applies if we either lack alu or uranium. In that case we are allowed to capture one city per missing resource via conventional war.

Start1

Start2

Start3

Places in the roster will be reserved 48 hours for the participants of whoknows02. After that the game is open to everyone.

Roster:
Lullaby
DBear
Mach
Aegis Shield
Minute Man

Signing up.

We might have to change the number of turns per turnset in phase II so that everyone will have the possibility to gamble with nukes.

Lullaby, waiting for modern times will be too long. I don't sign up. You know, SG number management, and the RL in this moment is really crushing me. AEGIS or Minute Man can take my place, and thank you for the reservation. Have fun guys, it will certainly be hot :D

Well, I went down to a small map exactly to speed up the beginning of the "real" game.

Hrm...I realize the idea behind declaring war the minute we have space flight, but maybe it would be best if we put off declaring war until we built a set amount of nukes, which would become our primary build target. Say, 1 nuke/surviving civilization or something like that?

But, then again, stockpiling the nukes up under threat of total war is also fairly appealing to me...

After much thought, I've decided that #2 is probably the strongest start. However, I'm not so good with food-poor starts, and I like rivers.

So I choose #3 first, then #2. Both will satisfy. :)

We should do some prebuilds to get some nukes right off.

Waiting would make it too easy. We could simply build about 10 or 20 nukes and bomb every productive city out there. This is a small map, only 5 opponents.

Anyway, I declare the roster closed.

Lullaby
DBear
Mach
Aegis Shield
Minute Man

Any shifts in the lineup wanted?

Any volunteers for the starting turnset? I think #2 with a settler move to the sw is the best start, but could go with every one of the three.

Research writing@min (or max if we can get below 50 turns, I hanven't got any experience on small maps), build warrior, curragh, settler, granary. Until then we should have been able to get pottery via trade.

#2 is fine with me, like I said. :cool: I have no preference in the roster order, Lullaby. I'm available to play tonight, but that's not for another ~12 hrs. So I can volunteer to start, but someone else can probably play earlier.

Normally I might be tempted to go with start #3 (I do love rivers), but since we're not going to be able to do much expanding via warfare, I think we need to grab as much territory at the beginning as we can. So I'd strongly recommend start #2 for the extra food.

I can't play tonight, so somebody else can take the first 20. I never know quite what to do with food-rich, shield-poor starts anyway (though if that's all salt water and we can't irrigate the wheat, that'll make the decision much easier).

With all those BG start 2 is rather shield heavy. All it is is low on gold.

Turn 1, 4000 BC:
Move the settler 1 sw. Worker starts mining.

Turn 2, 3950 BC:
Found Seoul. Research writing@min. Production set to warrior.

Turn 9, 3600 BC:
Warrior ready. No curragh possible. The southern water seems to be an inland lake.

Turn 19, 3100 BC:
northern scouting warrior spots orange borders.

We have a rather small island to start with, but I'm not used to small maps and this might just be normal.

Opponents are Sumeria, Dutch, Greece, French and Egypt. All builder civs that usually aren't too aggressive. This should go rather peaceful; until we get space flight, that is ;).

We need a coastal city ASAP to get curraghs out. I marked an ideal spot on the screenie. This will be a productive city and will get the incense plus the hut in.

Remember, there is only one practical way for us to pop goody huts with zero barb probability: founding a city right next to them. Border expansion won't do, so this should be the first spot to settle, before the capital gets the hut in.

Seeing the start with the cow city to the south I think we can even skip the granary and produce a settler in these two cities every now and then. Build some warriors in between and use them to hinder barb camps from appearing and for mp duty.

THE SAVE

Looks good, Lullaby. I like our little island here. I can volunteer to go next, since I can play tonight, if you'd like. I'll await your roster.

I think maybe we should move your red dot 1 tile sw on to the hill. We'll want another city ne of there, to grab more ocean, to grab the little button of land ne of the wheat there, and also maybe to use the wheat when seoul isn't using it. Moving red dot to the hill leaves room for a little village 2 ne of the goody hut, for instance. I think we have enough information for a more extensive dotmap, anyone want to volunteer? I'm at work now and can't...

Notice the orange borders to the north?

Yeah, I see those Dutchies just across the water to the north. If Mach wants to step up, that's fine with me, otherwise I'll go.

You can go ahead DBear. I'll finish Pere01 and see where we are in TR04 tonight, that should keep me busy enough. I'd hate to hog all the Tuesday Night Civ. :)

What do you think about settling locations?

Lullaby said:
Opponents are Sumeria, Dutch, Greece, French and Egypt. All builder civs that usually aren't too aggressive.
I don't know - I tend to have trouble with the Sumerians. Maybe because they tend to be bigger. Most of the others shouldn't be too much of a problem, though.

Since that turned out to be fresh water, we can irrigate one (or maybe even both) of the wheats. That's probably worth doing.

Agree with moving the red dot one space SW so we can squeeze in another city later. Beyond that, I'm not sure. I'm not terribly thrilled with the size of our island, but maybe it's OK for a small map.

Top Bottom