Load Error

monarch1st

Chieftain
Just downloaded the latest version. I was looking forward to it, sounds very interesting.
I downloaded it, and unzipped it in my mods directory.
Started the game, but a few seconds after selecting the mod and clicking 'ok', it got a "Load Error/GFC Error: failed to initialize the primary control theme".
Anybody know the reason?

Got to reading further and found someone else had this problem several years ago.
I have the steam version, civ4/bts fully updated, if that makes a difference.

I followed the recommendation: mod put in the right directory, no zip errors, patch didn't overwrite main mod, and customassets dir is empty. No word if that solved the problem tho.

-I double-checked that it was in the right directory (win 7 so "my documents\my games\beyond the sword\mods"),
-there were no zip errors using 7-zip,
-no patch to contend with, it was the full version from the link "Version 4.2a Main Download (715.7 MB)" from the "download and screenshots" subforum***,
-and i deleted the customassets dir contents before restarting.

No change, still crashes with same error.

***I re-downloaded it from that link but no change I saw, and didn't solve the crashing. 715.74 mb compressed, 1.22 gb/1,320,401,729 bytes from folder properties.

-I double-checked that it was in the right directory (win 7 so "my documents\my games\beyond the sword\mods")

That's the User folder though. It's been a long time since I've seen that error, but I think it's related to the mod's custom UI theme, which I'm guessing doesn't work from there.

Can you try installing the mod in the "Civilization IV/Beyond the Sword/Mods" folder of the actual game's install location? (The path you gave is supposed to stay empty, heh.)

Ah! After searching around then finding a dummy 'mods' directory (there are reasons not to like steam!), after finding the real one and moving all the mods over, it seems to work fine. Thanks!
It looks like it'll take a while to get used to tho. But what I wanted was a longer game and bigger map and you have that.
I look forward to learning it

Top Bottom