Load Times

bamf226

King
Why is it that BTS takes forever to load in comparison to Vanilla Civ 4? There are times when it takes 5 minutes to get to the menu screen and that's with clicking through all the cutscenes and whatnot.

Why is it that BTS takes forever to load in comparison to Vanilla Civ 4? There are times when it takes 5 minutes to get to the menu screen and that's with clicking through all the cutscenes and whatnot.

I have no idea why it's longer other than there is new things it has to load *shrugs*. You can at least cut out the screens using the advice in this thread.

Skip Splash Screens

I think so until you get Bhuric's unofficial patch......also, bamf, are you running Vista?

wow, what kind of computer do you have?

the graphics aren't the problem as they don't load until the game is selected. I'll try running without splash screens; maybe that will help as it will not spin its wheels loading a movie I am going to click out of anyway.

The game itself is not slow, just starting the game. When I click the icon, it can take more than 5 minutes before I can select what I want to do from the menu screen.

No, I'm not running Vista.

By the time I get to where I can press <ESC>, I have waited for almost 5 minutes. Once I get to that point, it's not longer than 30-45 seconds. The small screen that shows the loading of the XML files and such is where all the delay takes place.

By the time I get to where I can press <ESC>, I have waited for almost 5 minutes. Once I get to that point, it's not longer than 30-45 seconds. The small screen that shows the loading of the XML files and such is where all the delay takes place.

That's normal if you start it for the first time since the computer's been turned on, although mine isn't 4-5 minutes, more like 20 seconds :p

Afterwards, the delay isn't as long.

interesting. I wouldn't think CivIV BTS is heavily dependend on cpu and graphics speed. I mean compared to Crysis and such it is a child's drawing. On the other hand, there's a lot of intricate small details in large numbers (all units are animated, the trees sway in the wind, the mines have little cars going, etc. I think it's part of what makes this game so much fun) so that might tax the cpu heavily. I wouldn't know as I am no computer expert.

Either way, all my Civ games (any expansion) load and play lightning fast. I do have an uber machine, yes, but as I said above, I don't know how heavily that influences this game.

the only exception was yesterday when it seemed that the french somehow bugged, sending airships over my city every single turn (we were at peace; open borders) and my armies (it was an OCC, so I had quite a few) would always react (animation) as if they were bombarded. They didn't lose health or anything, but it was weird. this caused every turn to take its sweet time to finish...quite annoying I must say.

cheers
-wannabewarlord

bamf226 you need to take a look at your PC, cos your problem seems to be unique!

I run BTS without the Bruic patch and it only ever slows late game on 4Gb RAM with a 2.4Ghz processor and 640Mb video card.

Weirdest thing - if I load the menu screen, then exit game and reload when slowdown does occur, it rips along again once the game is reloaded!

Go figure.

The problem has never been gameplay speed. The problem WAS getting to the menu after clicking the shortcut. Now that I am skipping the splash screens and intro movie, the menu pops up much quicker, assumedly because it isn't loading up the movie and splash screens into memory for me to click through.

..slows late game

Same here, wonder movies, then victory movies:mad:. The other thing here is the startup movie always slows up (and freezes), usually at the point after the camera zooms through all the boats...

I went onto settler difficulty to build wonders, almost all of them:lol:, changing the movie quality from the options>graphics screen. in between builds.

Regardless if the movie quality was on Low, Medium, or High, the movies got slower as it got towards the late game The game play itself is always fast, and in this game I was at peace during all of the late game.

I am using 3.17 w solver's unofficial, but it was like this before I put any patch in, offical or unofficial :crazyeye::confused:
Using GeForce 6200.

Top Bottom