"Loading" ... then machine freezes... :(

Mujadaddy

Geheim Grammar Polizei
I got the game installed. When I click play, the CD starts spinning, the Load Screen pops up .... then...

Nothing...the mouse freezes, I can't even CTRL-ALT-DELETE out of it.

HELP!!! SOS!! :( :mad: :confused:

I've got:

Athlon 1.5ghz ("1700")
512 MB RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX 500 (128 MB)

Help?

UPDATE: CHECK MY NEXT POST IN THIS THREAD

Just bought the game and I have the exact same problem. I get no error screen and the game doesn't crash, it just freezes my machine. I think it might be the DVD drive having some issues reading the CD, but I've never had problems with this drive before.

Mujadaddy, did you find any solutions to this? Anyone else having the problem or have any possible solutions?

I had this effect too. Setting graphics to "low" helped. But now I got the black terrain...

Aha!! HERE'S that thread!!

OK, here's what I did that FIXED ALL MY PROBLEMS COMPLETELY:

Uninstalled the game. Reinstalled DirectX from the CD. Reinstalled the game.

Now the thing that probably was the actual problem........

I put the CD into MY OTHER DISK DRIVE! :doh:

I have an RW and a DVD drive ... I put the install disks into the RW, as it's a 52x ... but that's my E:/ drive ... My DVD is my D:/ drive... I put the disk there, and it started up, no problemo.

I hope tech support puts this info in the pile for the patch!

Now that it's working---It's AWESOME :goodjob:

I got rid of the black terrain too.
I´ve got a GeForce4 440 Go from Samsung. I was not able to update to a new driver version, since Nvidias drivers weren´t able to recognise the card.
It seems the entry for this card was missing from the .inf file.
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ has enriched the .inf file of the latest Nvidia drivers with compatible cards.
I installed version 81.85 from there and now my Civ4 works just fine:D

:thumbup: Good to hear!!

Two down, a couple hundred to go ;) :lol:

I had the same problem--but I only have one drive, a DVD-CDRW combo. What worked for me is, I wait a few seconds after the splash screen comes on, then eject the CD. FOr whatever reason then main loading screen then starts. I have no explanation for this.

I am having this same problem. It's a relief to hear that I'm not the only one. 2k Tech support has been absolutely no help.
I've updated my video driver (they said that was the problem), but I'm still getting the problem.
I only have 1 cd/dvd drive, so that's not what's doing it.

Are there any other solutions out there?

Top Bottom