1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Loading time - new hints appearing

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by garrinchaya, Jan 31, 2007.

1. garrinchaya

garrinchaya Chieftain

I'm a little bit tired to read always the same hints during the loading time.

I want to open this thread to gather all suggestions and all new hints we can use to refresh the always-the-same-song.

2. garrinchaya

garrinchaya Chieftain

We can use to tell some historical anecdotes or facts about battles (The Stalingrad Battle is considered as the most lethal battle in the history with 1 530 000 casualties), about Leader (Alexander died at 33 years), about Wonders (Gustave Bönickhausen changed his name to Eiffel, because French people was not able to pronounce it, if they were able, the Bönickhausen Tower may be a very appropriate name anyway).

We could use it also to include real tip or private joke, like don't forget ever to circumnavigate even if you think the Earth is flat.

I think with all your suggestions, we can make something very awesome to read during the loading time.

3. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

:lol:

That´s a good one!

4. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

why don't you all collect the tips you want?

5. kairob

kairob Biohazard

As china dont build your Capital one tile north and one tile east of its starting place in the hope of gaining better use of the terrain and fitting more cities in below it, you will be dissapointed when the mongols come...

6. Phallus

Phallus Freudian Slip

Nono, if we're going to do this we need to give people tips they're going to care about. We need tips that will change their world. For example:

Did you know that "Itchycoo Park" by The Small Faces refers to a real place?

7. garrinchaya

garrinchaya Chieftain

I don't see the relation with the game or History, Freud, I'm sorry.

What do we want to put in ?

Tips and facts about the Real Life, World History or the Game.

As I can see trough the forum, people and I first are really seeing the World History under a new eye by discovering some old and forgotten civ.
    That's why I think it would be better to release tips and facts about the Game and World History.

But your viewpoint is also interesting, we, people from the forum, Forumian, are coming from everywhere in the world and we can write together a giant "Did you know".

8. Talkie_Toaster

Talkie_Toaster I toast, therefore I am

Would it be possible for the hints to relate to the player's civ?

9. garrinchaya

garrinchaya Chieftain

Good point, Talkie.To tell you the truth, I've never been into Python. Let's ask people who knows.

10. Talkie_Toaster

I've thought of one =] One of the Viking cities is named Thunderfall.

11. Talkie_Toaster

Sorry, this is not strictly on topic, but would there be any way to have a random quote on discovery of a tech, instead of the same one each time?

12. NitroJay

NitroJay Warlord

You know, when I first read this thread, I didn't see the big deal. I'm usually reading a magazine or eating a sandwich while the game loads, since, with most civs, you have to wait for the autoplay anyway...

But something, instead of random facts, to add to the tips screen would be better: tips on the mod! Maybe it will cut down on the dozens of threads that ask questions like: "How do I hire mercenaries" or "What is the area for 'control South America'..." or even "Why is there no stability?" and "What causes revolutions?" Having the answers, or just a few hints on these topics would be beneficial to those who haven't been playing this mod forever or who don't follow the forum closely/regularly.

Maybe some examples?:

To hire a mercenary, click on the "axe" icon in the upper left hand side of the screen.

Having [civic A] with [civic B] will often cause instabilty. Choose carefully when combining your civics.

Switching from Communism to Democracy will often cause a great depression...

In Rhye's and Fall of Civilization, there will be no announcements of great people births, just a sound (and an icon if you have knowledge of the city where the birth takes place)

When a civ is first born, it gets a few free attacks against the barbarians. Use this to your advantage, the bonus only works on attacks (not defending) and only on barbarians (not independant states).

Wouldn't tips like these be better than random facts? Or am I just insane?

13. mitsho

mitsho Deity

these would be definatley better, but a) someone must make them, I'm not going to ;)) and b) they should be "patch-stable", meaning so shallow that you don't have to correct them every patch, because if this wouldn't be done, it certainly would INCREASE the amount of threads ;)

m

14. Breunor

Breunor Deity

How about amusing ones, such as one of my old favorites (try to remember which game this came from) "Never pet a burning dog"

15. Talkie_Toaster

Perhaps a mixture of all of these?

16. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

please write more!

17. McA123

McA123 Prince

Warcraft 2, of course!

18. Talkie_Toaster

We could use a few of the Q&A, i.e.
    "If you pick any civ but China, Egypt, India or Babylon you will start later than 3000BC and the AI will play to the point when you start, for example Arabia starts at 600AD or so and USA at the 17th century. The loading time ranges from a few minutes with, say, Greece to perhaps half an hour if you start as a civ which appears very late."

"In case you're wondering, the music on the opening menu is Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd"

"Stability is affected by civics, economy and your population's happiness. Take care to keep your civ stable, or there could be revolts or even civil war!"

"If you get a skull over your cities, it means they have the plague! The population and units in the city will probably decrease dramatically. To reduce the risk of plague, keep your cities healthy. When you discover medicine you'll be safe."

19. Blasphemous

Blasphemous Graulich

• Creating an enormous empire may seem tempting, but you have to be very careful not to let your expansion destabilize your government! The Expansion Civics can help with that.
    • Watch your cities' health! An unhealthy city can contract the plague, and you don't want that to happen. An Aqueduct or a Hospital can save you a whole lot of pain.
    • Think hard before trying to rebuff the rise of a new civilization. You may get to keep your cities for the moment, but you'll have to fight long and hard to keep them after that, and many of your units will defect to fight along with the new civilization.
    • The civilization you choose to play affects your difficulty every bit as much as the difficulty you choose. Make sure to pick a civ that suits your playing style and your level of expertise.
    • Remember that you can always take control of a newborn civ if you don't like the civilization you started with. You can also use this feature to play from 3000BC even when you pick a civ that starts later on.
    • If you like the mod, and if you have any ideas to improve it, make sure to check out the development forum at CivFanatics.com. Everybody is welcome to make comments and suggestions, and many of the new features in the mods were ideas that came from the community.
    • If it's been a while since the last time you got an updated version of the mod, make sure to check CivFanatics.com for a new version. The mod is in active development, and updates are uploaded often. Every update is full of fixes and new features.

Just one note: the new Civics are called Expansion, right? ><

20. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

uhm... shorter phrases please. Just 1 line