1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Local man has ideas

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Miguel Blackmore, May 28, 2019.

1. Miguel Blackmore

Miguel Blackmore Chieftain

Good day. I didn't know where to turn with my idea, so I'll write here. I spent a lot of time looking for Steampunk mod for Civilization 4, but unfortunately I failed. Nevertheless, these searches gave me an idea for an interesting scenario. To great disappointment, I absolutely don't understand anything in modding, but maybe someone would be interested to work with my idea. It is based on my story about the Skyrax system, people colonized this star system in the 22nd century and, depending on the time of their arrival, their technologies and social order changed. The system includes the following planets:
    1. Cyberion - Japanese-American colonies, the appearance of which is made in the style of cyberpunk. Cyborgs, mechanized equipment, laser weapons, etc.
    2. Davidson - Canadian colonies, appearance in the style of dieselpunk (America of the 20-50s, Biostock 1/2 video game) Zeppelins, retro-futuristic cars, Thompson gun, etc.
    3. Stalion - British-Latin American colonies in the style of Steampunk (Victorian London, Wild West, Mexico at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries). Steam machines, biomechanics, flying ships, Gatling machine guns, etc.
    4. Renokredo - Franco-Italian colonies, in the style of clockpunk (Renaissance architecture using technologies based on clockwork mechanics). Clockwork robots, automatic muskets, multiply charged bombards, etc.
    5. Black Rock - Late colonies of Europe in the style of middle punk (Medieval architecture with the use of alchemy and the use of energy machines). Energy catapults, holy grenades, napalm bombards
    6. Motherland - Russian colonies (in the style of the USSR since the 70-80s)
    7. The Great Reich - Neo-Nazi German Colony
    According to my idea, the scenario for this mod: A planet was found that looked similar to Earth and each faction sends an expedition there to colonize the planet and each of them must rely on its own features and technologies in the struggle for victory.
    I generally have a lot of ideas in view of the extensive knowledge of history and various franchises, there was even idea for Doctor Who Mod, but ideas are worth nothing if you don’t understand anything in modding, maybe someone would be interested to work with me and my ideas, well, or I could help you in some project))

2. Windsor

Windsor Flawless

Hi, this is going to sound negative but:
    a) People want to work on their own ideas. It's just a truth in modding and also independent game development that people who can code or design art matters. "Idea guys" don't really have a place.
    b) Civ4 is an old game with a fairly small playerbase and among the few still playing Civ4 is to large extent a "comfort game". Players don't want new stuff at this point in time. They want Civ4 to be the game they know and have enjoyed for years. This makes the potential for any new mod limited. Investing lots of hours and energy into a project that only a handful will enjoy simply isn't worth it.

gavenkoa likes this.
  3. Miguel Blackmore

You're right, your arguments sound more than convincing. It is a pity of course, but it was worth a try. Thanks for the reply.

4. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Well, I don't totally agree with Windsor here. The modding community is still pretty active and there are some newer mods. I would never say never. However, getting someone to work with on new mod may be more difficult indeed, especially if you have no interest in learning to mod yourself...but maybe you do. Point is, if you learn a bit and get things started some folks may join in or help out at least.

Anyway, there is a mod forum here, and you are better served posting this over there:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/civ4-creation-customization.158/

In addition you could look at some of the existing futuristic based mods..there may be steampunk related mods as well, but not sure. "Planetfall" is one big modpack I know that is future based. You also have "Dune Wars", "Star Trek" and "Final Frontier Plus". Although "Final Frontier" is based on the original BTS content that is set in space not on the ground, so I don't know what this new mod does in that regard.

You can find all those mods in the "Modpacks" subforum under the above link, or under the "Project and Mod Development" subforum which you will see a list of subforums related to the more popular modpacks.

Sharing mod components is often not only not an issue but often encouraged as long as credit is given, so you may be able to utilize some assets from these mods to get started.

edit: Lastly, #7 may be a bit of an issue. Maybe a more generic Fascist State type civilization. Maybe it could involve a coalition of former members of certain nations, but I would not recommend aligning to a specific group of people, especially one in which it is a rather sore subject.

5. Miguel Blackmore

Oh Yes, I played all the above mods.
    I wrote about it here, because so many topics, just didn't know where to turn really.
    Maybe somewhere there is some sort of videogaid how to create a modification, my English is not so good, and even computer terms generally foreign language:lol:))
    What about the Great Reich and Motherland, that they weren't in my novel only in possible sequels and the special "punk" style of them either, so it's likely that would have been a more diverse selection.