Lonely Hearts Club, BTS Edition, Christmas Edition: Financial smackdown

Ragnar, Immortal, epic

Spoiler :
Made a lot of progress in this game. Finished civil service late, all the way in the 500's, and struggled my way through. Went to calender, machinery, & optics (popped currency with one of the merchants born, not a great choice), building acouple caravels and finding everyone. Darius, er I mean, Ricardo Rolo ;), was a powerhouse, well ahead of me in tech, but some of the others were farther behind than me :). Went for astronomy, and 30 or so turns later my economy skyrocketed (compared to before). Made some useful trades, and was able to get liberalism :woohoo: (only due to AI stupidity). Soon I will get chemistry, upgrade my berserkers to grenadiers, and hopefully attack Darius (he might get rifles though). If I am successful, then I'm in the clear.

View attachment 166559 with astronomy

View attachment 166560 with liberalism

View attachment 166561 after I revoltd to free speech/free religion and with printing press

decided to give this a go with the dutch...

Spoiler :

ahh.... i'm so alone... sob sob :cry:

i hate isolation, it is tedious. anyway, i am planning a sword based invasion. just one screenie to show you what i intend..

:devil: possibly my earliest ever optics, bulbed machinery with GE from pyramids, teched the rest. now who to invade first? :lol:

edit: playing on monarch

This would be a perfect game to try deity as elizabeth for many players, but I'm not ready for that step and will go on immortal (thinking ragnar just for the heck of it).
My thoughts exactly but in isolation i value organized(cheap courthouses) a bit more than philosophical, also because i wanted to try out beelining to optics then bulbing astro instead of the usual CS --> liberalism line. So i need only 3 scientists early (academy, astro bulb) instead of 5-6(academy,phil,paper,education,lib).
Spoiler :

So i took Darius deity level, chopped oracle taking MC, researched all the useful techs like math, IW, COL, then wend Machinery which only took 11 turns to research because Darius's land is so very good. After astro research boomed and i won lib race easily. I got a tech lead which went bigger and bigger as the AI's tore in to each other in religious wars. I finally won a space race in 1913, could have been much earlier but as Invisible stalk said production was a bottleneck and on Deity each move takes forever on your comp probably because the enormous amount of units the Ai's build on this level. So i just entered myself to the end without doing too much finetuning.I could have workshopped and watermilled the cottages much earlier as i was some 10+ techs ahead. My first Deity win (second try) but a somewhat boring game altogether. I do think now that this strat of bulbing astro might be a winner quite often isolated compared to more traditional methods like going for lib or even CS first.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/101761/Lonely_Dirk_AD-1913.CivBeyondSwordSave

Second try - space Monarch with Darius :)
10 turns earlier or so...

Spoiler :

Cottage financial eco, powered by cheap org courthouses.

Bulbed CoL from the Oracle. I managed a comfortable advantage on the other AI, eventually getting very Friendly with Lizzie :p That brought me a short war with Willem - I smashed his incoming ships with some submarines.
Another nice try, and I needed it after my MLG5 misadventures ;)

A small pixie of my lands one turn before the ss arrival:

Maybe I'll do Ragnar too :crazyeye:

Played as William. Only on Noble. I set the speed to Epic and the game went a bit odd - I got the '100 turns to go' warning in the 1800s and the game is about to end around 1900. Not sure why? Maybe the max turn count is already in the save somehow? Anyway, with two turns to go I have gobbled half of the Incan continent and have cordial relations with everyone else except Ragnar, and he's an also-ran in the game.

Yeah, I played on Epic as well, and I was considering domination/conquest, but the game on Epic only goes to 1910 for some reason.
So I won a "Time Victory" at that point, but I did manage to launch my spaceship (just didn't land before game ended). If I went flat out for a space win after 1800ish, rather then shifting around and massing up tanks that I never used, I'm sure I could have landed before 1900.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom