Lonely Hearts Club Bullpen

LHC XVI, with our dear old friend Mansa Musa , started here...

P.S Sorry for not posting in the last 2 LHC... Besides the article I've been writing ( with all the huge consulting that this kind of big articles requires... yesterday I've been reading the python code of scripts :wallbash: ( the islands one is pretty complicated to read) ) I have some other side projects regarding the game ( SGs, a very raw script attemp,... )... I have started both ( in fact some of the AP material in my article is a direct reference to my Suleiman game , where I tried a AP win via colony votes ( not finished yet , but pretty much wrapped up ) but haven't finished any so far... :(

Here's the deal: I got an absolutely beautiful example of an isolated start recently. I set up the game to give me a random leader, normal size map and normal speed. Random # of custom continents. Choose your religion (because I like that option), and NO tech brokering. The difficulty level is prince, which thankfully is one level below what I play when I don't mess with the custom settings.

The question is: Is there any way to take the 4000BC auto save and turn it into one of these games? There are a few things about this game that have made it one of THE most interesting games I've ever played, but I am afraid to post any of it even as a spoiler here. Let's just say that there may never be another continents game that will be a better test for the Vikings than what the random generator spit out for me with this one.

Here's the deal: I got an absolutely beautiful example of an isolated start recently. I set up the game to give me a random leader, normal size map and normal speed. Random # of custom continents. Choose your religion (because I like that option), and NO tech brokering. The difficulty level is prince, which thankfully is one level below what I play when I don't mess with the custom settings.

The question is: Is there any way to take the 4000BC auto save and turn it into one of these games? There are a few things about this game that have made it one of THE most interesting games I've ever played, but I am afraid to post any of it even as a spoiler here. Let's just say that there may never be another continents game that will be a better test for the Vikings than what the random generator spit out for me with this one.

Load the 4000 BC save

Go into worldbuilder, save it as a worldbuilder save.

Edit the worldbuilder save with notepad.

Gamespeed = 0
# Turns = 0

If you want to make only one civ playable, make all other playableciv=0 instead of 1.

I forget if difficulty is in there or not but if it is just make that =0 too also. Then save it and you have your WB file.

This forum doesn't allow WB saves though so you have to put it in a .zip file.

Excellent. So now that I know I can save it for this forum, should I?

I don't think there has been a Viking game, and they certainly have the traits to give the rest of the world a run for the money with an isolated start.

Excellent. So now that I know I can save it for this forum, should I?

I don't think there has been a Viking game, and they certainly have the traits to give the rest of the world a run for the money with an isolated start.

Up to you of course. I'll probably play it since I play everything else, although I'll of course give my next APG priority ;). Vikings will likely allow one of my favorite tactics to be quite overpowering, since I can make maces, give them CR, upgrade them to grenadiers, use frigates to bombard, and just take gobs of cities. Aggressive is cool anyway, because you can give anything amphibious with 2 promos, allowing a similar tactic with infantry vs rifles later.

As far as I'm concerned feel free to post it... like I said in the first post of this bullpen:
Second, I do not claim any kind of ownership over the LHC series ( the concept isn't even mine... BTW where are you, willpax? ). If someone wants to host a LHC ( especially in Vanilla or Warlords ( I'll not go back there ) , I'll be happy and will post a link here as well.
You can use the LHC brand as well....

On the WB issues: I suggest that ( besides what was said already ) you also clean the fog of war and the starting units ( especially the last... otherwise the extra units from the level bonus will not pop up ). You can do it manually ( I normally do it manually... force of habit: You only have to delete all that is between "beginunit" tags and all the "teamreveal" lines ) but AnitaGaribaldi had made a small tool for that.

That tool looks pretty cool. I'm going to give this a shot. I would really love to see how good players will deal with this beauty.

GAH! :stupid:

I screwed up and lost the 4000BC auto save before I had a chance to save it in worldbuilder. (I downloaded and STARTED the most recent LHC game to see what it would look like, so that I would have a good idea what it would look like when I did mine. Juuuuuust about 2/3 of the way through the load, I realized that this game was going to save a new 4000BC game in place of my Viking one. Sigh.) I saved the 500BC game to see what would happen. That cleaner tool did a nice job of killing all the units, cities, and blacking out the map, but it left the technologies, accumulated EP, all of the improvements, and who knows what else. I suppose I could notepad that file back to the start, but don't think I could pull that off.

Sorry about this. It was a really good isolated start game.

I just got another isolated start, with Shaka this time, but that's already been done here.

Got it... will send you the cleaned thing by PM. Like I said, the problem is the already chopped forests and jungles ( not much jungle chopping in turn 79 :p ) and the already popped goody huts.

I haven't saw the thing in Civ, but i could catch the feeling on WB editing.... i wonder if this will not become too easy.....

Top Bottom