1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Long Loading Times - Start Up

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by TheMarshmallowBear, Mar 21, 2010.

1. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Since I have a shortcut set to automatically load Rise of Mankind, my game takes ages to load up.... any help there? it takes about 5 minutes for the game to actually start up.

Also, everytime I click on Single Player and choose Either PLAY NOW! or CUSTOM GAME when I press Launch, my game crahses.

I have downloaded : The Full 2.9 version
    The Expansion (ROME) ver 3.1.0 + 3.1.0a

and the Jooyoo Addons Pack

Any help!? It's really annoying when a mod doesn't work!!!

2. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

Good chance that Jooyoo Addons Pack is the problem, as he hasnt been updating his modmods since RoM2.6 (or 2.7) that was for Civ4 3.17 (or whatever it was called before they patched it to 3.19)

edit : And yes. RoM will take a lot longer to load, but taken into consideration how much is added, it is worth while the wait ;)

3. TheMarshmallowBear

It's not AS BAD the first time as it is after a while, I can surf the net for the 2-3 minutes.

I'll take the Jooyoo addon into consideration, remove it, and see how it works.

4. Sporhund

Sporhund Warlord

I have the same, but plain RoM 2.9 and AND 1.70 beta3. On the positive side, havent had a single crash or MAF or anything of the like, and it also loads faster ingame. So trading a few mins at startup seems fair to me :)

5. TheMarshmallowBear

Vincent you have no idea how you have helped! The Jooyoo's addon was the thing that probably caused it, I hope it won't crash with AND (a new dawn, hehe). But so far the game played rather nicely. Thanks! If needed this topic can now be locked!

6. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

Jooyo's Addons were made for RoM 2.71, using them for 2.81 or 2.9 is just asking for trouble.

7. TheMarshmallowBear

I removed it, and it did work.

But I removed the mod, it's bit too much, too many improvments, units, technologies to choose from, it's really confusing after a while.

8. tibi

tibi Chieftain

you are using JooYoo adds in custom installation for the latest AND, things like influental culture, terraforming, undersea tunnels - this means i should not install them as well?

9. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

No, No... If he had used the download link in Jooyo's thread, and used those, that's bad. the versions in AND I have maintained and made sure they work.

10. tibi

tibi Chieftain

I just downloaded AND yestarday and played few blitz games in purpose of testing - there are soo many adds if you enter in custom installation. I am really confused :crazyeye: and do not know if choosing most of them is ok. I am especially reserved about adds that bring in my opinion too many buildings in game.... Also i do not understand why ideology civics are not included in recommended download, they look awesome!

Also, I didn't choose ice breaker option, but i am curios where the boat appear on Earth Map if it brakes ice in Arctic? Does it appear in Antarctida?

11. Civ Fuehrer

Civ Fuehrer Eat, Sleep, Mod

Maps that are cylindrical like the Earth Map have irremovable ice at the poles where there are no tiles, so no, you cannot move north and come out of the south. However on the maps that are 'donut' shaped which do not have the polar ice off the tiles will have that feature of moving from top to bottom and vice versa which I find quite annoying.

12. tibi

tibi Chieftain

then i lost nothing by not installing it, by the way your add was choosen for install, i feel it will work great if i ever reach that era :lol:

13. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Regarding long loading times - on my computer it takes less than minute to load RoM.

14. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

Also remember Zappara has a supercomputer.:D
    What are your computer's specs Zappara?

It takes about a minute and half to start on mine.

15. Stormwind

Stormwind King

75-90 secs on average, but I have XML caching disabled in the ini.

16. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Not a supercomputer but it does help in modding if you don't have to wait for long when loading the mod. :D

AMD Quad processor
    8GB RAM
    ATI Radeon 4870HD 1GB + Nvidia 8600GT
    64bit Windows 7
    couple monitors
    5.1 surround system

Motherboard supports quad crossfire system but I haven't bought yet new graphics card - been waiting bit for dx11 graphics cards, the first ones are always the most expensive. Could also upgrade processor but no rush with it since for now this computer is fast enough for me :)

Edit: checked the exact time to load RoM - 45secs

17. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

I have a quad-core with 8GB of RAM too.

18. tibi

tibi Chieftain

hmm, what does that mean? What are the changes if I disable it either? Will I feel any difference?

19. tibi

tibi Chieftain

Zappara, I just conquered your motherland Finland playing on Earth Map, hope you do not mind, if you mind I can grant Finland independence :D