1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Long-Term Slider Strategy Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game VII: Citizens' started by Octavian X, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

The game's about to start, so it's about time to turn to the more serious side of planning ahead for the game.

A big aspect of planning will involve our use of the slider, determining how we use the nation's revenue. I'd like to establish a general policy, then, to be applied for the rest of the term, and hopefully, long-term.

Since it's obvious we'll be using the lux slider to control happiness when necessary, the big question is the science slider. Will we go for maximum research, minimum, or somewhere in between?

2. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

I say maximum for the wheel and iron working to find out where our resources are. Then we can do a 50 turn research for another tech (writing perhaps) to build up our gold.

3. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

Another option is to try the Philosphy gambit, grabbing Literature with that and building the Great Library.

We'd then get 30-40 turns of internal development with max gold, or balance gold and science to pick up either Monarchy or Republic, and use those gold reserves to speed development up.

-- Ravensfire

4. Civlord

Civlord King

A long term strategy is to change the slider as many times as possible to have a dynamic science research and keep the people happy, while we earn the money. Let's keep the science slider at maximum to research important and basic technologies like The Wheel, Iron Working, Alphabet (if this is an Archipelago map), and then Map Making and Monarchy or The Republic. For the other technologies we can move the science slider to a lower level or even minimum. This is an Emperor game, so research must receive special attention.

5. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

I must ask, why do we limit ourselves to just sliding it? Can we not push the slider? May we shift the slider? Would it be possible to make it glide?

Seriously, the only thing I can say is that we had better move the thing back and forth often. This discussion is FAR to early, and there is no possible way to determine what were going to do with it. Well, except sliding it, but I think that speaks for itself. Atleast I hope so.

6. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

Well, sliding is what one would logically do to a slider, I think. If it was a shifter, I could see a name change...

However, premature though some may think this is, I'd rather start gathering some concensus and ideas for the future. Myself, I'd pour all our efforts in research immeadiately into resource-reavling techs until we discover until we discover another neighbor (we may not, remember), at which point we consider dropping research to save up money for tech purchase rather than research.

7. greekguy

greekguy Missed the Boat

research max until we acquire IW and HBW and then drop it off considerably.

8. vikingruler

vikingruler King

I think we should keep the tech rate at 60 or 70% for the most part, lowering it to build up gold like RM said. I think we should try to keep gold at a point where we are at least getting 1 gpt. Luxury, though it will be very important in the game, I think we should try to use a little as possible. I think we should get luxuries and build wonders like the hanging gardens to increase happiness.
    @greekguy, i didn't know it was possible to horse back wide. ;)

9. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

The faster we find those resources, the better. 100% science.

10. Civman2004

Civman2004 Something goes here...

Horse Back Widing is an important skill vikingruler - I'm surprised you haven't come accross it before. I think it is imperative that we research it immediately after Iron Rorking :p

My thoughts are that we should research hard for Iron working, then drop it down while we trade techs, to build up gold. Then we can assess from there.

11. admiral-bell

admiral-bell Chronic Lurker

I agree with greekguy ( except for the spelling :lol: )

12. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

The policy should be to maximize gold without losing science progress, and keep most cities at a non-rioting stage. WE need to use the slider all over.

13. Great Ceasar

Great Ceasar Chieftain

go hard science to philosophy.

14. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

:bump: Maximum to Philosophy, otherwise there's no point in doing it.

15. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

There is no point for selecting writing first other than philosophy. We've researched writing. Now research philosophy at 100%. Give the citizens a tax break.