Long time posters opinions on Civ 5

jdp29

Chieftain
I am curious what Civ4 vets like Obsolete, TMIT, and Lemon Merchant think of Civ 5. Do you guys and gals enjoy the new Civ? Do you enjoy the 1upt, or do you think Civ 4 is simply better? Do you even play Civ 5, or have you returned to Civ 4?

Would you like me to move this to the civ4 forum, where you are more likely to get the responses you are looking for?

Also, I can almost guarantee you that all three of those people would prefer civ4 by far over civ5. TMIT might be involved with ongoing testing of civ5.

Would you like me to move this to the civ4 forum, where you are more likely to get the responses you are looking for?

Also, I can almost guarantee you that all three of those people would prefer civ4 by far over civ5. TMIT might be involved with ongoing testing of civ5.

and herein lies the answer...

PoM, I see that the podcasts have been "stopped" temporarily, this debate is for sure worth a full episode... are you waiting for some more "data"?

Well, if it should be in the Civ 4 forums then that answers my question. =p I don't mind if you move it, I am curious of what Civ4 vets think.

Well, if it should be in the Civ 4 forums then that answers my question. =p I don't mind if you move it, I am curious of what Civ4 vets think.

I can tell you a lot of long time posters aren't finding the civ5 forum a very pleasant place to visit at the moment. I'm sure I wouldn't have to explain why.

Their absence here is not necessarily an indication that they aren't playing civ5.

TMIT wasn't exactly gushing with praise with his Let's play ciV.

I suspect a lot of the long time posters aren't thrilled with it at all and with good reason.

Yeah, I was hoping Civ 5 would combine the best of Civ 3 & all the Civ 4's. I actually think they made Civ 5 AI a little smarter (overall) - but nothing like SSG's Warlords, some of the new stuff is pretty cool - but they didn't add it onto a really good base from the other Civ's. I get the feeling that they are waiting for MOD's to be written. The graphics are cool, but they aren't what makes a great strategy game. Civ 5 is ok, but its not great - I feel pretty let down - the Writers of Civ 5 didn't put any hard yards in and looks like they are trying to squeeze money out of the franchise without looking after the gamers

Yep, Im disappointed, but with some MODding to be done it'll be very very cool - no thanks to Firaxis or 2K Games.

Not sure why you´d call Civ 4 players ´vets´. Game´s been around since 1991... and why would anyone go back to a previous version of Civ is beyond me - except for nostalgic reasons. Now, CiV has been released as á modder´s Civ´ - and that it is. The game is raw, buggy and frankly seems... unfinished somehow. Well, all what´s ´wrong´ with CiV has been commented on. Like, why are there no airports? (Either in or outside of cities.) You can build planes, but apparently these don´t need airstrips. Why are there no transports? (Well, there´s a Transports mod.) Why can´t we stack units? (Kael´s Legions mod was the first one out.) And on and on. But the interest and response have been so overwhelming that this site´s server has been unavailable repeatedly and visiting here has been excruciatingly slow for a while.

And why ´long time posters´ have been absent from CiV forums? Well, there´s been such an explosion of threads - which, BTW, already started months before actual release -, that their posts would have been drowned in an ocean of errr nubbie posts. But I can assure you, once a new Civ´s out ´long time posters´ will be playing it. In the end we´ll be hearing from them. :p

As a player who has been playing (and posting here) since Civ3, I'll say I enjoy it. Better than Civ4 BtS? Hard to say yet. I'm giving it more time to get a full feeling. I enjoy the game. I can say that.

Of course, I'm not one of the notable players, so I'll let them say their own thoughts. Hopefully those who can give an opinion will stop by.

Top Bottom