1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Long time...

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by zeeter, Mar 26, 2018.

1. zeeter

zeeter Emperor

I'm a long time player going back to the original and have been a member of these boards since CIV 2 or 3, but I haven't played any CIV games in probably 10 years and haven't posted for even longer. I got CIV 5 and hated it. Can't remember why. CIV 4 was probably my favorite.

Got CIV6 the other day and love it! Everything I'd hoped in a CIV game is in it. Everything makes sense, though there is a bit of a learning curve.

About the only thing I don't like so much is fighting. It can be hard to find my units on the map with all of the textures obscuring them. Not really a complaint, and if that's the only thing then we're doing pretty well.

A couple of differences I've found: Can't convert cities via culture, or at least I can't figure out how to. Never really liked that feature, anyway. I can't find a use for converting other cities to my religion unless I'm going for a religious victory. Is there some benefit to it? I guess units don't need to be ferried across water as they do it themselves. Really like this feature. Leaves them vulnerable if not protected, but also stops me from having to make 400 transports. Still not sure if I like the builders. I'd rather have a permanent unit for that which uses resources than either stockpiling them or building as needed.

I've had the most luck going after a cultural win. After two false starts while learning the game I got pretty close with Teddy Roosevelt but fell short when a science victory beat me. Now I'm trying the same with the Greeks, who have some cultural boosts.

Anyway, love the game.

Haig, whylom and LobstaBoy like this.
  2. Exquisitor1

Exquisitor1 Chieftain

3. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Prince

You can't convert cities with culture in Civ 6. You can with loyalty if you have R&F - that's a new feature. Welcome back!

4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Welcome back, glad to see you like it.
    Converting a city may give you some benefits depending on the belief you have taken.
    I would say that if you are not going for RV do not bother with religion in rise and fall.
    Sure you can get a combat bonus versus other religions but so can they on you, effort for 0 result.
    The links on my signature have some useful info if you are still climbing that hill.

zeeter likes this.
  5. zeeter

zeeter Emperor

So is there a benefit to having founded my religion in the first place? I get to choose a couple of bonuses if I found it; do I receive the bonuses another civ selected if they spread it to me?

6. Victoria

Most but not founder beliefs.
    And yep you get some bonuses but they are not that great for the effort you put into one, maybe Jesuit.

7. Timodelphia

Timodelphia Chieftain

Spreading your religion to other civilizations provide benefits to you based upon the Founder Belief you have chosen.
    + Gold (Church Property, Tithe)
    + Science (Cross-Cultural Dialogue)
    + Faith (Pilgrimage)
    + Culture (World Church)

Religion does have many benefits, but, as always, you have to weight the benefits vs. the lost opportunity costs in the early game.

Glad you are back in the series. I've been able to enjoy each iteration on its own merits, but I think Civ6 is my favorite (with strong competition from Civ5).

8. Victoria

Considering the investment and what else you can spend faith on now (especially monumentality) these benefits are just meh... especially as you have to compete for the cities.
    Don't get me wrong, get faith, faith is great stuff, I have been playing Gitjara for a couple of days just because she gets +2 faith per water city.

9. zeeter

zeeter Emperor

I probably didn't give CIV5 much of a chance. The computer I had at the time was barely able to run it and so every turn took an eternity.

10. zeeter

zeeter Emperor

I found that I can build my military a lot faster using faith than just building the units. What I'm really struggling with now is a district strategy. Which ones are most important, which ones I can put off...depends on my end game, however my experience with Civ games is that I may start with one end game strategy and wind up with another based on how the game works out. Example: Last game I wanted a cultural win, but was able to take out another Civ before they even set up their first city. It quickly turned into a domination goal until I attacked someone else and everyone hated me. Plans fall apart quickly in this game.

11. Victoria

Unless your original plan was domination.
    VI domination is the fastest path to all victories and the AI seems designed to annoy you so much you just have to take them out.
    However, once your thirst for considering yourself a great deity player subsides dropping back to emperor and playing a more relaxed game just to develop your cities quite pleasurable. I do not even bother with victory conditions anymore. The game does not need them.

District strategy - to be most efficient you need to consider district discounts (build 2 get half free). many mess around over placement but often you cannot or do not want to afford to get the right tile.. city tile growth is quite slow. 2 Campus to start is normally quite a sound approach but it does depend on where you are going and what you are doing.

12. zeeter

zeeter Emperor

When I first started I was building my cities right up against resources as per the previous games. I didn't know anything about the bonuses for putting districts adjacent to the town center. Lesson learned. Plus in most cases I can't take advantage of those resources early in the game anyway, and by the time I need them my borders will have expanded.

13. Forster

Forster Prince

Don't you also pick up era points?

14. Victoria

A couple, not great.

15. Jackanape

Jackanape Warlord

I've been meaning to try a game where I use someone else's religion, to see how that would effect play. Am I correct that evangelized beliefs are the only ones I would get? So Jesuit Education would be right out?

16. Victoria

There are 4 types of belief

Founder beliefs - only the founder gets these
    Follower beliefs - followers of a religion get these (including jesuit)
    Worship beliefs - based on the types of building built in a holy site
    Enhancer beliefs - beliefs that enhance the growth of that religion

If your city is of that religion it will be following that religion and so get follower beliefs... as well as worship and enhancer. But as you did not found the religion you do not get the founder belief..... One may consider the 3 you are able to use evangelized beliefs.

Papal those universities... knock your socks off.

17. Jackanape

Jackanape Warlord

Thanks for that! I'd never noticed that there were four separate types of beliefs, and just wondered if the four choices broke down to two founder and two worshipper.

You are a fount of wisdom!

18. Victoria

no, I just have nothing better to do

Bosque and mandamin like this.
  19. Karpius

Karpius King

So very, very true!

20. RickSL

RickSL Chieftain

So spreading religion can be counterproductive, as you are giving benefits to other players.