1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Longbows + Himeji + GW = Death Road to London

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Kyroshill, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

As is obvious from the title... I am at war with Liz who has built GW & Himeji Castle...

I have her way outgunned with highly promo'd longswords, cannon, and knights plus a few muskets for color....

But movement is ungodly slow... and she has several longbows I can't even see...

A very effective AI strat it would seem.... I've actually taken peace so's I can move my forces SE.... I'll go thru Temujin.... leaves me MUCH closer to London....

Anyone got any good ideas other than waiting till arty? I have to go thru Liz and Biz Markie to get to the Iriquois who are out-teching me big time... so time is not on my side

2. Truthy

Truthy Chatbot

How about attacking Hiawatha? I'm sure you could invade, just to mess up his economy. Try ripping him off (make a bunch of deals and then declare war so that he's broke).

3. Redoubts

Redoubts Chieftain

Pay other civs to go to war with her. Sometimes they want 90 gold for it, some times they want everything you have and then some.

4. Babri

Babri Emperor

Kill other civs in the meantime to increase your strength. If you really want to English, then use 'cover' promotions so that your units take little damage from longbows.

5. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

Thanks for the replies....

Derrick - I literally have to go THROUGH Lizzie and Biz Markie to get to Hiawatha.... I haven't even seen his borders yet LOL

Redoubts - All the other civs ARE at war with her... but no one has sent anyone in... except Hiawatha's random roaming cannons (he has 4 positioned all over the continent banging away at whoever and whatever) :eek::lol:

Babri - I have started abuing cover promos in this game just as you suggest... they are helping... And I've attacked Temujin because his borders push much closer to London than do mine

6. Airey

Airey Prince

If you tech fast, you can delay your attack until Greatwall expires.

7. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

Whatwhatwhat?!?!?!?

The Great Wall expires??

When??

8. cccv

cccv King

OT, but holy crap I didn't imagine anyone besides me would ever make that reference.

That's all, I have absolutely no advice for you.

9. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

:lol::lol: gmta i guess

10. Creepy Old Man

Creepy Old Man Warlord

Great Wall expires when Lizzy gets the tech. If she's still in the iron age, then her wall slows down your tanks.

11. jtb1127

jtb1127 Deity

Yeah I know. I hate Liz. Her longbowman plus infinite city sprawl=impossible war. But I'm glad there is an AI that is a worthy opponent at the battlefield.

12. Samuil

Samuil Warlord

Had big problems with her also...
    Lost a number of knights and muskets and had to make peace...
    even with artillery its hard to even see her long bowmen, and they can potentially give you a headache, but one artillery hit and bam, the long bow is gone :)
    She does tend to make a ton of them though

13. joyous_gard

joyous_gard Prince

I think Civ IV was like this on similar wonders and I didn't like it. I felt like it should expire when the first Civ hit the cutoff. In fact, I just assumed it would in IV and I was surprised when it wasn't automatic. Maybe someone has a reason why it wouldn't.

14. DaveGold

DaveGold Emperor

I think the simple answer would be not to attack the AI opponent with the most powerful defensive abilities at their disposal. They've built the wonders, used their national units, good luck to them, they're getting their reward. If you have to pursue the war you can use expendable scouts to scout first so you don't move troops in blindly. You should also target the city with the wonders, although clearing the longbowmen will be the hardest part and will need to come first.

15. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

The trouble is that the longbows are impossible to get to, since the GW limits my movement....

Although I have finally taken London.... but hills surrounding her other cities is making it a real challenge to get my cannon in position, since I'm going to have to put them right next to the city I wish to bombard...

In the meantime I have killed 4 longbows, but she has at least 4 more... 2 in cities and 2 that I still can't see, but are picking off my weaker units at a rate of 1 unit per turn...

Every hex in England is a killzone...

I don't usually wipe a civ out, but I think Liz may have it coming...

Of course the longer it takes for me to get thru England, the more time the Iriquois have to increase their strengths...

Not looking forward to THAT war :cringe::help::please::trouble:

Edit: oh yeah I forgot... Himeji was in London, but not the Wall

16. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

Like I said, the way the continent is layed out I have to go thru Liz to get to the Biz, and thru the Biz to get to Hiawatha... the overall runaway leader

17. Airey

Airey Prince

Like Dave said...it's an uphill battle. Before you declare there are other ways to play the situation.
    (I assume you had England as the buffer zone)

I just finished up a similar game like you described, this was how I played:
    - China/England gets GWall => delay attack till Infantry
    - if no room to expand, and don't want runaway Iriquois:
    a. OB England...scout her out
    b. buy England to War Irq
    c. OB with England and do hit and run on Irq...hide in England border to heal
    - if mountain exists, wait till you get gunship. then you can park your gunship on there, she can't get it without art...even if she does get artillery, you can place your own artillery to backup the gunship.
    -it's ok to have low score in the beginning; easier to buy AI to war the AI powerhouse.

18. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

all good ideas....

but I am the world's big warmonger, so in order to get RAs or OBs I'd have to pay a handsome price.... and I am not willing to do so....

And everybody is at war with everybody anyway... but no one is invading England, just maintaining perma-war....

it is an uphill battle as you said ;)