Longest Civ Game you ever had ?

Emperur

Chieftain
I will be getting this for Christmas and seen lets plays on YouTube and curious to see how long it takes

Interestingly, your first several games will be the longest ones as you learn how to get through the tech tree more efficiently as you learn more about the game. Even so, though, civ games aren't like starcraft games, where you can just play a few games over an hour. Playing a game of civ takes several days unless you get super addicted, as it's probably, idk, 8ish hours of gameplay per game on standard speed? Maybe a little more? It also depends on what you do in the game, since you'll have more to do over the course of turns if you're involved in a lot of wars, or have to worry about constantly spreading religion.

Enjoy civving! I hope you enjoy the game, and welcome to the forums! :)

Varies a lot depending on how deep you want to go in on strategy and micro-management.

I've played a standard paced game in a 8-ish hour timespan, but that was without really going in to my cities every few turns and reassigning my citizens to work the best tiles/slots.

I'd imagine if this is your first civ game, you wont be doing too much micro-management but since you won't be familiar with the tech tree, nor will you be playing particularly optimally, the game could take longer since you'd be a little behind.

So basically I have no idea how long it will take you, but I'd imagine between 5-15 hours, likely closer to 15.

EDIT: Welcome to civfanatics!

You have options for how long or short you'd like to game to be before you start. I'd recommend playing your first couple of games on standard speed, which usually takes me at least a couple of solid evenings of play time. I personally prefer marathon, however, in which case I'll regularly have games that last two weeks or more. As for my longest, I couldn't really say. Time has a funny way of slipping by unnoticed while playing Civ...

Time has a funny way of slipping by unnoticed while playing Civ...

This. This is so true. Civ is by far the most addicting video game I've ever played.

Interestingly, your first several games will be the longest ones as you learn how to get through the tech tree more efficiently as you learn more about the game. Even so, though, civ games aren't like starcraft games, where you can just play a few games over an hour. Playing a game of civ takes several days unless you get super addicted, as it's probably, idk, 8ish hours of gameplay per game on standard speed? Maybe a little more? It also depends on what you do in the game, since you'll have more to do over the course of turns if you're involved in a lot of wars, or have to worry about constantly spreading religion.

Enjoy civving! I hope you enjoy the game, and welcome to the forums! :)

Varies a lot depending on how deep you want to go in on strategy and micro-management.

I've played a standard paced game in a 8-ish hour timespan, but that was without really going in to my cities every few turns and reassigning my citizens to work the best tiles/slots.

I'd imagine if this is your first civ game, you wont be doing too much micro-management but since you won't be familiar with the tech tree, nor will you be playing particularly optimally, the game could take longer since you'd be a little behind.

So basically I have no idea how long it will take you, but I'd imagine between 5-15 hours, likely closer to 15.

EDIT: Welcome to civfanatics!

You have options for how long or short you'd like to game to be before you start. I'd recommend playing your first couple of games on standard speed, which usually takes me at least a couple of solid evenings of play time. I personally prefer marathon, however, in which case I'll regularly have games that last two weeks or more. As for my longest, I couldn't really say. Time has a funny way of slipping by unnoticed while playing Civ...

This. This is so true. Civ is by far the most addicting video game I've ever played.

There's also the possibility for a game like this one: http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/18/tech/gaming-gadgets/civilization-ii-ten-years/

Probably unlikely though ;)

Yeah I heard about that 10 year civ Game :) anyway I plan to do an gaming all nighter since I am getting a Gaming PC for XMas so Its gonna be a fun week with all night gaming sessions

You can definitely bang a full game out in a night (starting around 9 pm, sleeping around 7 am), and it's an interesting perspective to play an entire game in one sitting (breaking for snacks of course ;) ).

I did say several days unless you get super addicted. In my first year of college I was frequently playing entire games in one day, so it's certainly possible. Just probably not advisable for health and social purposes. :)

You can finish the game in 3 hours or less if you've picked less than 5 Ais. Late game turn times are horrendously long. That's why I usually play against 2-7 other AIs.

You can finish the game in 3 hours or less if you've picked less than 5 Ais. Late game turn times are horrendously long. That's why I usually play against 2-7 other AIs.

Have you tried turning on quick unit movement? My late game turns are less than 5 seconds on huge maps with 17 AI, and my PC isn't all that new. This is advice I would recommend to anyone getting frustrated with slow turn times.

As stated on my profile here, I have a horrible computer with good GHz and a good laptop with horrible GHz. Can't run it on my computer so I play CiV on my laptop. Even with Quick Movement & Combat on, it's still slow. Especially city-states.

I like to play on Marathon game speed (with a huge map). I usually put in 2-3 hours a night and it takes me a week and a half to two weeks to complete a game.

I think two things have a large impact on game time:

1. Amount of combat
2. Game speed

I play on Marathon quite a bit, and have a good few wars - hence my games usually take anything from 12 to over 20 hours. Playing on standard map and speed you can easily complete a game in about 6 hours.

Rhye's of civilization (civ3) took about 45 minutes processing turns in the late game with my ancient pentium2. A finished game was always more than 200 hours, while I was reading books in between loading times and useless ai diplo messages

I know it may be odd, but I am really excited for you to get to play this game for the first time. For my money, this is the greatest franchise in the history of gaming. I don't care if it sounds fan boy-ish, this is one of the greatest things I've found on this Earth.

Top Bottom