1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BERT] Longest (most turns played) BERT game ever done?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Fins, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Fins

Fins Warlord

How many turns is the longest you gentlemen ever played? I don't mean the highest amount of turns to get a victory, here. I mean the longest overall, including playing after achieving victory.

Several years ago, i made an attempt to have a longest game ever, but it ended by the turn 298 due to some kind of a bug - the game kept crashing processing AI turns into turn 299. Nothing i could do.

Now i read somewhere that there is turn 500 limit, at which point if no player got a victory yet - then highest-score player will be deemed the winner. However there is also the mention that it's possible to play even further, past turn 500, too. Assuming one is a winner and presses that "just one more turn" button, i recon.

So, with quite a few years after CivBE got its last patch and all, i wonder - how long is the longest game ever done, so far?

2. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

I don't play past victory, but my longest game was 386 turns. Since Rising Tide, the victory times have been under 300.

I always turn off the time victory, so I don't think there is a limit until it gets to a point where it crashes. With a world full of satellites the graphics do get glitchy even in a normal length game.

3. Darsnan

Darsnan King

476 turns roughly this time last year - IIRC going for the Daoming victory achievement at the time:
    Highest_turn.png

4. Fins

Fins Warlord

Yep, victory is not a problem at all, i know. What about this "point where it crashes", though?

I am doing one right now, it's turn 228, and graphics are glitchy for a fair while already. At this time, i got me some 260sh units total, of which close to a hundred are trade vessels which are "always out" doing their job, and 16 satellites. Thing is, i am planning to expand real soon with some few more dozens trade vessels (cities grow like mad now, extra trade route or two pop up nearly every turn now), and some 30+ more satellites (mainly fabricators and weather controllers, of course).

Thing is, i _already_ got the game crashed - once, few turns ago. However, i was able to restart and move on, pass the point it crashed. This is different from when i got my old-time "intended to be very long" run, mentioned above - back then, the game was crashing at specific turn (298) no matter what i did trying to avoid it happening.

Do we know at all why it crashes? Can anything be done to avoid it? I don't mind glitchy graphics as long as i'm able to move on, see. Any details, advice or links about this "point where it crashes" - will be massively appreciated!

5. Darsnan

Darsnan King

IIRC a player named Ryika said one of the reasons for crashes and jittery behavior is the size of the maps: larger maps were more prone to crashes and the jittery behavior. I typically play on the maps where there are 6 players, and I usually don't experience crashes, and the jittery behavior doesn't typically manifest itself till late in the game (which I usually don't play to anyways).

HTH,

D

6. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

I have come to relate the number of satellites to the glitchy graphics. I can't be certain that's all that would cause it, but I notice it begin after I have deployed a certain number and continues to get worse as I deploy more. Obviously, everything is getting busier during this time, so no way to really nail it down. It's one big reason I don't play past victory.

I also noticed a huge improvement every computer upgrade. I don't think the game has actually crashed on me since my last one a couple years ago. So I'm sure that will be a bit different for everyone. Also note they are partnered with AMD for this game and minor Nvidia issues have been noted. I play with Intel and Nvidia.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  7. Fins

Fins Warlord

I confirm, number of satellites is definitely one big factor. The more satellites there are, the worse graphic glitches get. At some point, once there are many enough - in my case it was several dozens visible in a number of relatively small regions - crashes starts to happen, usually when zooming out. And yes, i am also Intel / Nvidia user, too.

However, i found a way to stop those crashes from happening in them internets: disable in-game anti-aliasing and disable ambient occlusion in Nvidia control panel. Using anti-aliasing from Nvidia control panel is OK, too. With those changes done, the game did not crash any single time. Despite at times having heavy graphic glitches, that is. Considering how many more turns i've done since this change in settings, i think this proves the method quite well.

That said, i am now past turn 2000 in my current game.

That's right. Turn 2000+. And there i found one rather interesting complication: unit maintenance costs. They go up with time. And so far, i did not encounter any limit. I arrived to turn 1000 having few millions energy piled up - with some 5k+ energy per turn, quite natural; but by turn 2000, i had -18k energy per turn, and all but ~100k energy reserves dried up. I tried and made few more turns to have energy reserves run completely dry, and then BAM, next turn i saw "No Science" in red right where i had ~13k science per turn just one turn before, and one of my units was disbanded.

So, now i got all but two most experienced SABRs dismissed, and all other military units dismissed as well, except just four Bastions with eight Predators based on them. Oh, and one lovely Makara near my capital - alien units cost no maintenance, anyhow. The only AI surviving AI wars to this point - is Samatar (PAU), who controls nearly half of the map (i control the other half). So far he never declared any war on me - but his half of the map is filled with all sorts of military units. Out of curiousity, i saved the game and declared a war on him by turn 2001. ~30 turns later, with lots of my lands pillaged, we made peace with the score being ~20k to zero in my favor - all of which score was exclusively from wiping out his units. He has hordes of them, for real! I loaded back to peaceful save and went on.

I wonder how long he'll keep peaceful. This much defines how long i'll be able to go on through hundreds of turns in short order. I want to see if there is a limit to this unit maintenance cost increase. As it depends not only on time but also on total number of maintained units, after massive military culling i did - the cost is down under "just" ~100 energy per turn per unit. But it keeps rising at a steadily accelerating rate. I wonder if i'd arrive to the situation when maintaining even one SINGLE unit would be too expensive, i.e. over 20k energy per turn?

Would be hillarious. :)

legalizefreedom likes this.
  8. Darsnan

Darsnan King

:bowdown: Wow!

OK, so sorta retrospective here, but did you start decommissioning buildings, especially science buildings, as by that point in the game you should've researched all techs? Just wondering if part of the cost inflations were building related?

Samatar! :rockon:
    Out of all the AIs I respect him the most: I've never had him backstab me, he's ever vigilant, but will take advantage if he sees an opening. Very well programmed AI! :thumbsup:

D

legalizefreedom likes this.