Longhouse?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by WideCoast, Mar 6, 2014.

1. WideCoast

WideCoast Warlord

Hey!

So I was planning on going Iroquois tonight when going MP with friends, but then I saw what that Longhouse does.. I mean it gives Forest Tile yield a bonus +1 Production, not +10% to the City's total Production and I'v had easily over 100+ hammers on cities at the end game so to break even I would have to have 10forests on the city radius with lumber mills?

That sounds a bit unrealistic and the ub only seems to be dragging me down..

So am I missing something here or is it as bad as I think it is? :confused:

2. Arilian

Arilian King

It is as bad as you think. Or worse.

3. 4N4C0ND4

4N4C0ND4 King

I don't thin it's as bad as you think.

You get flat hammers at a time when you need it the most. It takes ages to get 100+ hammer in a city. There is a sweet spot between base hammer and % based, that is the reason why most hammer buildings got the both bonuses ;)

It's of course really ressource based, but for an early middle age city, 30 hammer is quite high, so you need roughtly 3 forests to make it even. Can't remember if longhouse gets still the +2 flat bonus.

4. direblade99

direblade99 Warlord

It does, it's also cheaper to build than a workshop

5. WideCoast

WideCoast Warlord

So you'r saying that it's better in the middle ages, but loses out in the long run? Assuming you'r game goes late.

6. direblade99

direblade99 Warlord

An extra 4 hammers matters a lot when you only have 30, an extra 10 doesn't when you have 100. Although since you're not chopping those forests early on for 25 hammers when it's most important you're still losing out on the snowballing.

7. WideCoast

WideCoast Warlord

What if I told you that I have never chopped a single forest? :D

8. direblade99

direblade99 Warlord

You're crazy man :D Seriously though, chop those as soon as possible when not Iroquois, it speeds up early build times massively

9. WideCoast

WideCoast Warlord

:D Okay, well I really just started controlling workers and the citizens so I guess it's no miracle that I'v been doing smthng wrong :lol:

10. direblade99

direblade99 Warlord

Yeah it's not a huge deal, it took me like half a year of civ before I even stopped automating workers, but if you want to gain a quick and early advantage chopping forests is great.

11. WideCoast

WideCoast Warlord

Okay, thanks! =) I guess chopping a forest tile would have gotten me a wonder or two in my last game where I lost like 7 of them with less than 4 turns each...

12. adwcta

adwcta King

You have to factor in hammer%s too. A city hammer in end game gets +60% production. More with golden age, or hard building spaceship parts, or if you have a unit type production +% modifier. Your endgame hammers of 100 is also final post-modifier hammers, not city hammers. You'll only ever be running 50-60 city hammers (that get affected by the 10%). So, you'll only need about 3 forests to break even end game. That's doable for most cities, but you're probably not getting much more on average. Its a bad UB, unless you reroll or luck out on a thick forest. Its max effect times well with world fair, which is useful on deity where its hard to guarantee 1st place otherwise, and archeologists (especially with lumber mills being on the good science tech path). It also synergizes with heroic epic, so you can more easily create a production city for military units without sacrificing trade routes.

But yeah, its overall unimpressive. The UA is bad too. The UU is also bad.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

13. WideCoast

WideCoast Warlord

I guess I'll have to pick something else then if I'll want to cope with the better players..

14. 4N4C0ND4

4N4C0ND4 King

But still the no iron warrior rush can be dewastating!
    This bring back so many vanilla memories :king: