Looking for a few friends to join us with CIV5 MP!

TheGermanGuy

Chieftain
Hello friends! My friends and i were playing CIV the other day, and we though. Damn, we need more people! Now, i'm not just looking for people for a game or two, i'm looking for people who can eventually become our friends, and are reliable for a game of CIV. I'm sure alot of you know that MP can blow when you are playing online, and you have to take a piss, and you are at a setback from the timer, or when you have to go somewhere and you have to leave, BOOM that game was wasted time. Or, when another player had to leave, and then the AI takes over! BOOO NO FUN!! And i agree. Right now out little "group" consists of 2 of my close friends. They are reliable, and are on and ready to play most of the time. We are all looking for 2-3 more people that are reliable, and on for a good amount of the day to play CIV with, although we are accepting more. Remember, if you have to take a piss, go for a smoke, or, god forbid, get a drink, YOU WONT BE KICKED, NOR WILL YOU LOSE A TURN FROM THE TIMER! No, we will do a crazy thing. We will say "Okay", wait for you to finish, and you will be on your way, and you will come back, and we will resume where we left off. I know this sound a bit silly, but i'm simply making fun of how stupid CIV MP is with random people, because you have sit at a chair for like 4-5 hrs straight, and take no breaks, and that's just silly! So, below i will have a little forum, so I know a little about you before i add you on steam and Skype, and to see how reliable you are. I don't want to add someone who is on like 1 day of the week, and can never resume a game. I'm not looking for causal players here who are on a few times a week, i'm looking for hardcore CIV5 gamers, who hate public MP as much as I do, and want a reliable group of friends to play with.

FOURM******IMPORTANT******* If you are going to play with us, we have one major requirement, YOU MUST HAVE ALL THE DLC! Aside from scrambled continents, and scrabbled nations, you must have the rest!

How old are you?

What country do you live in?

What time zone are you in?

How often are you online, and able to play?

What is your steam name?

What is your skype name?

Do you have a good and working mic?

Is there a lot of background noise with your mic?

How long have you played CIV, and are you pretty good? (We welcome noobs, my Jay and i are experienced players, but my friend Wayne is new, although hes good)

What is your favorite way to play civ? War, culture, diplomatic, science, how do you play?

What is your favorite civ?

Also, please, add any additional information about yourself here, more info would help us in our chosings, and let us know a little more about you. Again, we would like to know this stuff, because we play on having 5-6 player games, and we cant have a game where someone is un-reliable, and quit half way through, or so we can actually make sure we know when we resume the game the next day, everyone is ready to play, and were not stuck waiting for that person to get back, that's never fun.

If you're curious, these are the setting our games usually run on, but we are willing to change it up.

Continents
Quick
Hybird (We prefer hybird with friends, because while the wars take longer, nobody likes a click fest!)
And the rest are normal default settings

Civs are all random, and we normally play random civs, but sometimes we pick ours. The choice if yours if you want to random, or pick.

We play on prince or king. Normally King

ALL DLC!!! YOU MUST HAVE ALL THE DLC!!!

Hey German Guy

I'd be interested in joining you if you'd have me...

I'm based in the UK (London) so GMT and tend to play in the evenings from 7pm or 8pm or at weekends at any time.

I tend to play MP with a friend (will tell him about your group) and like you all, we have a relaxed game.

All the DLC and current version of Civ and a decent PC (I used to play on an old work desktop and it was awful!).

I have a good mic but tend to play without it and type messages as it annoys my other half if I'm talking throughout her shows.

Steam name is alcatrazuk1, my friends call me Traz.

I think I'm ok at Civ. I'm 32 and have played it since Civ2 although only really got into it in the last few years. When work isn't too bad I put in 10 hours a week, when it is, I might only do 3 hours...

I like the "tribal" leaders, Monty, Pocatello, Nebuchadnezzar, Pachacuti and Kamehameha, but am equally fond of Darius, Sejong and Elizabeth.

Victory conditions differ but I'd guess I'm more likely to go for diplo or domination now the culture victory conditions have changed. Saying that, I did get a science victory at the weekend.

King level in MP with the odd Prince game to cheer us up after a bad session.

Tea and water hourly and as such wee breaks more frequently as the session goes on but fortunately the toilet is right next to the lounge! Ha ha!

Generally like playing MP when there's a set start time and agreed date to finish if we can't grind it out in 1 session. That way you know you can finish.

Anyway, see what you think and let me know.

Traz

Hi,

my wife and I would be very much interested in joining your group if we can find common ground :) We usually only play at marathon game pace to have a more stretched out and meaningful game (a lot of strategies change a lot with the pace and movement and war becomes much more strategic). We hope you wouldn't mind that and don't want to enforce anything on the group. We also like to choose our civs as we are not the "pick random" guys in any games. But we wouldn't mind the odd "everyone random" game, I suppose, haha! :) While we would not object to skype, teamspeak3 would be much better option if you'd ask me, as it has better sound quality, lower ping and lower memory usage. Would that be an option for you?

How old are you?

me: 25
her: 25

Germany

GMT+1

Theoretically, we can - and often do- play every evening between 6pm and midnight. weekends do not deviate much from that for us. We do have quite a few days where we could play over the whole day too. We do not play literally every day, but at least every second one.

What is your steam name?

me: Colonel Ragman
her: Sokratia

What is your skype name?

me: to be registered
her: to be registered

both yeah!

me: none usually

her: none most of the time. you r can hear me too when she and I speak at the same time every now and then ( quite rare)

How long have you played CIV, and are you pretty good? (We welcome noobs, my Jay and i are experienced players, but my friend Wayne is new, although hes good)

me: I am playing Civ since the early days of Test Of Time and Call To Power. I skipped Civ 3 but played a whole lot Civ4 which I still consider best in the series in complexity(with mods). I got CIV V Vanilla since Release, played it for quite some time, but eventually dropped it out of disappointment and the scarce mod support at the time. Now I picked up the Gold Upgrade and BNW in the steam winter sale and finally found the product I expected in the first place and love it. So I know my way around CIV V and am experienced in strategy but rather new to most mechanics added in with the addons.

her: she started playing Civ V half a year ago and is steadily learning albeit not very experienced in strategy games as of yet.

What is your favorite way to play civ? War, culture, diplomatic, science, how do you play?

me: I like to play in different ways from time to time, finding new ways to explore/play a game. And usually I try to not take the easiest routes (expect me to at least once try out venice, when we play). I most of the time try to play somewhat in character with my nation/flavor and tend to play the rather peaceful civs but can pick warlike civs at times.

her: still to be explored (sidenote from me: she seems to like starting wars :) )

me: as above stated. I played a lot of Songhai and Aztecs in Single Player Games in semi-peaceful ways but as I said before I try many different things.

her: she tries different civs one after the other currently.

Hi,

my wife and I would be very much interested in joining your group if we can find common ground :) We usually only play at marathon game pace to have a more stretched out and meaningful game (a lot of strategies change a lot with the pace and movement and war becomes much more strategic). We hope you wouldn't mind that and don't want to enforce anything on the group. We also like to choose our civs as we are not the "pick random" guys in any games. But we wouldn't mind the odd "everyone random" game, I suppose, haha! :) While we would not object to skype, teamspeak3 would be much better option if you'd ask me, as it has better sound quality, lower ping and lower memory usage. Would that be an option for you?

How old are you?

Germany

GMT+1

Theoretically, we can - and often do- play every evening between 6pm and midnight. weekends do not deviate much from that for us. We do have quite a few days where we could play over the whole day too. We do not play literally every day, but at least every second one.

What is your steam name?

What is your skype name?

both yeah!

her: none most of the time. you r can hear me too when she and I speak at the same time every now and then ( quite rare)

me: I am playing Civ since the early days of Test Of Time and Call To Power. I skipped Civ 3 but played a whole lot Civ4 which I still consider best in the series in complexity(with mods). I got CIV V Vanilla since Release, played it for quite some time, but eventually dropped it out of disappointment and the scarce mod support at the time. Now I picked up the Gold Upgrade and BNW in the steam winter sale and finally found the product I expected in the first place and love it. So I know my way around CIV V and am experienced in strategy but rather new to most mechanics added in with the addons.

her: she started playing Civ V half a year ago and is steadily learning albeit not very experienced in strategy games as of yet.

me: I like to play in different ways from time to time, finding new ways to explore/play a game. And usually I try to not take the easiest routes (expect me to at least once try out venice, when we play). I most of the time try to play somewhat in character with my nation/flavor and tend to play the rather peaceful civs but can pick warlike civs at times.

her: still to be explored (sidenote from me: she seems to like starting wars :) )

me: as above stated. I played a lot of Songhai and Aztecs in Single Player Games in semi-peaceful ways but as I said before I try many different things.

We would like accept you guys, BUT the issue is....marathon. don't get me wrong, i like marathon....in a SP game. MP with a big group of people could seriously take a month. With about 5 people and marathon, yeah, around a month. Now, a quick game can take 3-4 days. We would like to welcome you, but if you can't play on quick, then this wont work. Reply and let me know!

ALSO, i forgot, another issue would be you being in Germany, and us in the US. That may also be an issue. And, teamspeak would not work for us. We have always used skype, and we hate TS with a passion XD We could always just type in the game if need be. That should work fine.

Hey German Guy

I'd be interested in joining you if you'd have me...

I'm based in the UK (London) so GMT and tend to play in the evenings from 7pm or 8pm or at weekends at any time.

I tend to play MP with a friend (will tell him about your group) and like you all, we have a relaxed game.

All the DLC and current version of Civ and a decent PC (I used to play on an old work desktop and it was awful!).

I have a good mic but tend to play without it and type messages as it annoys my other half if I'm talking throughout her shows.

Steam name is alcatrazuk1, my friends call me Traz.

I think I'm ok at Civ. I'm 32 and have played it since Civ2 although only really got into it in the last few years. When work isn't too bad I put in 10 hours a week, when it is, I might only do 3 hours...

I like the "tribal" leaders, Monty, Pocatello, Nebuchadnezzar, Pachacuti and Kamehameha, but am equally fond of Darius, Sejong and Elizabeth.

Victory conditions differ but I'd guess I'm more likely to go for diplo or domination now the culture victory conditions have changed. Saying that, I did get a science victory at the weekend.

King level in MP with the odd Prince game to cheer us up after a bad session.

Tea and water hourly and as such wee breaks more frequently as the session goes on but fortunately the toilet is right next to the lounge! Ha ha!

Generally like playing MP when there's a set start time and agreed date to finish if we can't grind it out in 1 session. That way you know you can finish.

Anyway, see what you think and let me know.

Traz

Okay, i will add you on steam. I'm still waiting for my friends to get on so we can discuss, but the only issue would be you being in the UK and me in the US.

We would like accept you guys, BUT the issue is....marathon. don't get me wrong, i like marathon....in a SP game. MP with a big group of people could seriously take a month. With about 5 people and marathon, yeah, around a month. Now, a quick game can take 3-4 days. We would like to welcome you, but if you can't play on quick, then this wont work. Reply and let me know!

ALSO, i forgot, another issue would be you being in Germany, and us in the US. That may also be an issue. And, teamspeak would not work for us. We have always used skype, and we hate TS with a passion XD We could always just type in the game if need be. That should work fine.

Oh, i send you a steam friend request, btw. Both of you.

Hi,

How old are you?

Germany

GMT+1

What is your steam name?

What is your skype name?

both yeah!

Oh, also, i sent both of you a steam friend request.

Sadly I think that we wouldn't enjoy quick games very much. And the time zone difference could become a problem too. I think it would be best then, if we'd not group up. Nonetheless your idea was a good one and I very much hope you find the players you need to have fun :)

Sincerely
Cellandine

Sadly I think that we wouldn't enjoy quick games very much. And the time zone difference could become a problem too. I think it would be best then, if we'd not group up. Nonetheless your idea was a good one and I very much hope you find the players you need to have fun :)

Sincerely
Cellandine

Thank you, and happy CIVing! Wow "CIVing" that was cheesy, but nevertheless, have fun!

Hey there, This sounds interesting. I'd like to join you guys. It is really annoying to waste hours on a game and have some jackass leave because he missed his wonder or simply has the low score.

How old are you? 35

What country do you live in? USA

What time zone are you in? PST

How often are you online, and able to play? Almost every day, 7pm - 1AM PST weekdays, anytime weekends.

What is your steam name? CraigMak

What is your skype name? Not sure, haven't used Skype for a while.

Do you have a good and working mic? YES

Is there a lot of background noise with your mic? NO

How long have you played CIV, and are you pretty good? (We welcome noobs, my Jay and i are experienced players, but my friend Wayne is new, although hes good) I have been playing civ since Vanilla and play most days.

I play in different ways depending upon the situation. Usually multiplayer games come down to war though if you want to win.

What is your favorite civ? My favorites are: Poland, Aztec, Russia

Hey there, This sounds interesting. I'd like to join you guys. It is really annoying to waste hours on a game and have some jackass leave because he missed his wonder or simply has the low score.

How old are you? 35

What country do you live in? USA

What time zone are you in? PST

How often are you online, and able to play? Almost every day, 7pm - 1AM PST weekdays, anytime weekends.

What is your steam name? CraigMak

What is your skype name? Not sure, haven't used Skype for a while.

Do you have a good and working mic? YES

Is there a lot of background noise with your mic? NO

How long have you played CIV, and are you pretty good? (We welcome noobs, my Jay and i are experienced players, but my friend Wayne is new, although hes good) I have been playing civ since Vanilla and play most days.

I play in different ways depending upon the situation. Usually multiplayer games come down to war though if you want to win.

What is your favorite civ? My favorites are: Poland, Aztec, Russia

Steam friend request send :) Well, when i can reconnect...their servers keep dropping...

Steam friend request send :) Well, when i can reconnect...their servers keep dropping...

Awesome, when will guys be starting a game that I can join in on? What are your usual settings? Pangea, Continents? Ancient? etc..

Awesome, when will guys be starting a game that I can join in on? What are your usual settings? Pangea, Continents? Ancient? etc..

Continents, quick, and hybrid. And later tonight maybe, should be soon. My friend is curretnly busy with college work, so it may be a little later tonight. Around 10-11. (I live in central time, and they are in eastern, so i have no idea what that is to you, but it's 745 right now as i'm sending this.

Okay, i will add you on steam. I'm still waiting for my friends to get on so we can discuss, but the only issue would be you being in the UK and me in the US.

Thanks for the Steam add. By all means just let me know when you're on and I'll see what I can do. It may be that weekends work best with the different time zones but you never know!

I hope everyone is good to go tonight. Here is a format I suggest. Instead of everyone going random which can lead to some one getting stuck with a bummer of a civ or a severely over powered civ. Let's say we ban the over powered civs and then either pick civs in order of estimated skill levels, lowest skilled picking first or randomly have some one roll a dice for everyone. This way people can still choose a civ to ensure no one spends a week or so with something they absolutely hate. After the first game is complete, people can choose civs in order of performance in the last game and eventually based upon their record performance. Let me know what you think.

I hope everyone is good to go tonight. Here is a format I suggest. Instead of everyone going random which can lead to some one getting stuck with a bummer of a civ or a severely over powered civ. Let's say we ban the over powered civs and then either pick civs in order of estimated skill levels, lowest skilled picking first or randomly have some one roll a dice for everyone. This way people can still choose a civ to ensure no one spends a week or so with something they absolutely hate. After the first game is complete, people can choose civs in order of performance in the last game and eventually based upon their record performance. Let me know what you think.

We will just chose our civ when we get in. If someone wants to go random, they can, but i wouldent reccamend it. And were all ready.

We will just chose our civ when we get in. If someone wants to go random, they can, but i wouldent reccamend it. And were all ready.

So you're saying everyone joins the game and whoever gets slot 2 chooses before whoever got in slot 3? Also, I highly suggest some civs be banned such as spain, attila, babylon, mongolia and arabia due to being severely over powered.

So you're saying everyone joins the game and whoever gets slot 2 chooses before whoever got in slot 3? Also, I highly suggest some civs be banned such as spain, attila, babylon, mongolia and arabia due to being severely over powered.

How are they OP? I'm unaware, the seem pretty balanced to me.

How are they OP? I'm unaware, the seem pretty balanced to me.

Spain gets 500 gold for finding wonders which equates to a free settler and something else, plus settling a wonder can give them absurd benefits like +20 faith/turn.

Attila, Rams and horse archers are just plain too strong. Mainly horse archers.

Arabia and Mongolia have the same problem, units that move, attack and then move again so they never ever die.

Babylon: Super early free scientist, that science boost snow balls out of control and leads to absurd tech advantages.

Although I agree those benefits are all strong, I actually think they balance out over the course of a game. 500g per wonder is powerful if you find a few wonders in the first 30 turns, but after that it's actually fairly weak in my opinion.

Strong units are good, but without a good science output, production or culture, you lack strong foundations back at "home".

The early science for Babylon is (in my opinion) one of the stronger benefits, but doesn't always equate to someone running away in science.

Personally I prefer other leaders and have always coped well against the above listed countries.

Top Bottom