1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

looking for advice on my very first ever playthrough...

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by todd_10, Jan 17, 2013.

1. todd_10

todd_10 Chieftain

Spoiler :

I know there's not a hell of alot you can judge from a simple screenie, but any help on city layouts, areas I should be focusing on for next settlers etc would be much appreciated...

2. HazyAK

HazyAK Chieftain

it looks like you are playing Vanilla Enhanced Mod or GEM.

Your first playthrough?

3. todd_10

todd_10 Chieftain

Yeah I'm using that Unofficial Patch & VEM, but with the VEM disabled. This is my first proper playthrough, other than the tutorial game. I spent a few hours on that before realising you couldn't save :blush:

4. dashwinner

dashwinner Prince

Not sure how much help I can be since I dont know that mod...

There seems to be incense up north, I'd get my fourth city up there, probably on that river hill tile that is at the very top of the screenshot... have you built libraries yet? dont forget to make sure you get the National college. Then i'd use Polynesia's UA. Seems you did a fair good amount of scouting. If there are some good spots on the other islands, try and grab them before the AI does. Build a harbor in your capital when you can to connect them.

that bottom left snow spot seems an ideal spot to drop so moais when you can, but only work the tile that gives the most culture.

not sure why you'r building barracks, since you seem pretty well protected atm. I'd save that for later

you probably should have settled samoa one tile to the left so you could reach the sugar...

you seem to be in a decent location. you dont have to worry about war, unless you want to :D.
    I'd focus on a cultural (could be quite boring) or, after building the NC, settle 3-4 other spots with unique luxuries on other islands, connect them with harbors, and work on that science.

Not sure if this is all applicable with the mod you're using.

5. todd_10

todd_10 Chieftain

The mods don't alter any gameplay, just UI type stuff I researched.

This is probably going to sound nuts, but how can you tell where the sugar, and incense are from the screenshot?!

6. Hustapha Thool

Hustapha Thool Warlord

the little tufts in the desert tile to the west is sugar, the little tufts in the desert tile north is incense, mouse over the tile

7. Hustapha Thool

Hustapha Thool Warlord

you have a lot of territory uncovered that is a good thing
    generally at this point of the game you should be concentrating on libraries, building your national college and expanding on luxury resources.
    you have a lot of cash, use it

8. dashwinner

dashwinner Prince

wow i didn't even notice how much cash you have! should be enough to rush buy libraries in any cities that dont have it. then get the NC. the faster you have it, the better it is in terms of science. as soon as that's built, expand. just remember, try to settle new cities near a luxury you dont have yet, so that the happiness you get from these luxuries balance out the unhappiness you get from founding new cities.

Unless you want to go cultural. then i'd stop after that 4th city....

You can mouse over the luxuries to know what they are... you can also click on that little parchement looking icon to the left of the minimap to see a more detail layout of each tile....

9. todd_10

todd_10 Chieftain

Okay, so libraries in every city, and the National College as soon as I can. Seems most people recommend that ASAP, how come?

I had realised you could use the parchment to check out tile resources, I just hadn't clicked that they were actually graphically represented on the land!

There's so much to this game I don't know :confused:

10. dashwinner

dashwinner Prince

I've been playing for 3 years and I still find new things!
    Don't be confused, its actually kind of fun. I still remember my first game, you seem to be doing a lot better than i did!

Anyways... the importance of getting the NC up as soon as possible is due to the strong science boost it gives your capital. science gets you through techs earlier, and that will help you get an advantage over the other civs. Another reason why you should get it up asap is that every time you plop down a new city, you'll ahve to wait for that one to have a library before you can built the NC, and the cost will go up. That's why its generally better to settle new spots in 'waves'. First wave of 3-4 cities, then build libraries in all of them, then build the NC. Once you have it, you're free to expand without having to worry about rushing libraries in each new city... although, even after the NC, its always a good idea to prioritize science buildings in each city...

11. todd_10

todd_10 Chieftain

So I'm guessing there's specific research branches to follow to be able to build libraries, and then the NC?

12. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

If you get NC early, you cut the cost of future techs by 1/4- or 1/3 if you have a huge population. Therefore you research stuff much faster. So build NC and grow your pop and you'll see techs coming in very fast.

13. RedFuneral

RedFuneral Warlord

You're doing a lot better than I did my first go. I built a city all the way on the other side of the map to get the 'Eldorado' wonder and went bankrupt attempting to build a road between the cities. I was of course easy pickings for the AI having only workers and no tile improvements.

I'm afraid I don't have any real meaningful advice other than to turn the difficulty up to 3-4 after a game or two. Once I learned the basics it was beyond easy to beat the AI on lv.2

Ok, I lied I do have some advice. First of all, make sure to keep tiles around your cities lit up so that barbarians can't spawn in them, and always have your archers guarded by a melee unit or somewhere they can easily escape from if trouble arrives(on a hill, across a river, or with their back to a forest you know an enemy can't be sneaking around in) Also check out misterciv5's videos on YT to learn all the little things that aren't all that obvious.(how tiles effect movement/combat)