looking for good multiplayer strategies

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Multiplayer' started by Chibi88, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Chibi88

Chibi88 Chieftain

I play a lot of MP in CIV 5. Unfortunately I often find myself in a spot falling behind too much in score. I really don't know that the other players are doing but I feel so weak after e. g 50 turns.

I'm a player who likes to play tall. I love big cities and big production. So therefore I often go 3-4 cities. But even then I fall behind so much in the score that I think that I'm completely useless.

I found a guide in the war academy. It's the 3 city approach tactic. Does that work in MP? Or, even better, do you have tips for me? What shall I focus on? I don't like war though so I'd like to archive any other victory than war.

Regards

Chibi

2. HorseshoeHermit

HorseshoeHermit 20% accurate as usual, Morty

Don't pay attention to score. Ever. If you're not playing with Time/Score as the -only- victory condition, score is utterly meaningless. If you want to have a league where you are playing a Score only game, I implore you to reconsider; and if you're not , forget about score. It's utterly meaningless.

I see no point in being guided by the War Academy in multiplayer. It is mostly written for single player, and mostly written to achieve turn times, with the altered rule sets of the higher difficulties. With A.I. opponents, you can maximize along dimensions that exploit AI stupidity, or the different rules applying to them, but these dimensions are shut doors in multiplayer. So you can see that strong play in SP could easily be unviable in MP. Even viewed the other way, in multiplayer, your opponents actually have to deal with happiness, and that makes the expansion question not strangled in its inception. So there's room for exploitation that is not part of SP - strong play in MP might be unviable in SP. At the least, the ancient wonders are options again, and somebody's gonna build them. And put them to work.

As to some form of accepted wisdom in concrete - lessons learned this far into the game's age - I have none. But your teacher in any competition where the rules are the same for everyone, is your failure. That, and the player who wins. Be less like your failures, and more like the player who wins.

You asked "what shall I focus on?" And the answer is your fellow players. They are the teachers, and the only measure of your play. You want to learn how to keep up? Pay attention. You've got your work cut out for you, not going to war, if no one else is playing with that limitation, but I suppose living morally is always like that. Limit yourself in too many ways though, and your loss is just going to be a mathematical consequence. A certainty.

3. Karavirs

Karavirs Chieftain

If you are looking for some tutorials, one of possibilities is to watch Сiv V streamers on youtube. There are plenty of MP games available.
    And yes, as Horseshoe_Hermi said, score is meaningless. Digits, which really mean something are placed in demographics view.

4. Kyp Durron

Kyp Durron CP5

Try to go full tradition, yet still plant 3 more cities by turn 35/40.

You can expedite making those cities by growing cap to around size 4, then working your hammer tiles while making the settlers. Often good idea to speed this up by getting a worker from a CS and mining a hill early in game.

After those cities are out and settled, (keep in mind happiness as you settle, you may need to settle on top of a lux or just plan ahead to stay or regain happiness fast.) build libraries, then national college asap. If you can get it out by turn 65 you are in good shape science wise for a while.

5. fmb

fmb Chieftain

I agree with horseshoe. Reading your opponents is everything. Keep an eye on demographics. It's hard to stay competitive with 3 cities if there's an expanding player in the game, especially late game. Going 4 or 5 is better if you have the happiness.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

6. Godspark

Godspark Chieftain

Like others have said: Score doesn't really matter, however if you are lowest on all parts of the demographics, then maybe you are doing something wrong.

Science is a key to much good, and while big cities and much production is good, it is also wise to try to get the following as soon as you 'safely' can, while still expanding to new cities:
    -> Library, National College, University, Observatory, Public School.

I don't know how much you have prioritized science during your previous games, but I think it is generally your bread and butter in Civ V.

EDIT: At least when using 'Quick' Game Pace.