Looking for help from you PC experts :)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Technical Support' started by zangief, Oct 2, 2010.

1. zangief

zangief Chieftain

Hey friends!

So I'm looking to pick this beast up, but the problem is just that. It's a beast! I have checked out the requirements for the game, but I've been able to play other games that say my computer sucks too much to not be able to play it. So, here we go!

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+
    2.21 GHz
    2GB Ram
    GeForce 7600 GT

I understand that I will most likely have to play on the lowest settings (if I can at all), as well as the itty bitty tiny maps.

I managed to download/install the demo off of steam and I can play it with everything on the lowest. My only concern is, 100 turns from now?

I appreciate all help you guys can give me! Thanks!

2. zangief

zangief Chieftain

All these views with no help? Dang :(

3. wilebill

wilebill Warlord

I think you're asking for trouble, just IMHO. I had a 7600 GT once. Darn good card for its time.

Go here and see what it says.

100 turns, less than that, my computer (which exceeds recommended stats) is getting hotter than I like and the time between turns is getting ridiculous.

4. Equendil

Equendil Chieftain

You're clearly below min. requirements, but your rig isn't prehistoric so there is hope.

I've got 1.5GB of RAM (clean system, nearly all of it actually available to run the game), a slower CPU than you (Athlon 64 3200+), a somewhat faster gfx card (ATI X1950 pro, 512MB).

I've been running into all sort of issues caused by the game being, um, not really ready for release, but ignoring those, I can play a standard size map on the lowest settings with a decent framerate, and for that matter, I can push some of the settings higher without problems. Time between turns isn't stellar, but it's not too bad.

Now I haven't been able to go very far into a game, so it might be possible that with the map entirely uncovered, many cities settled, units all over the place, the game would start running very slow or run out of memory. Some people with top-of-the-shelf hardware have been reporting very long delays between turns late game, though that's probably not "normal" behaviour.

The reason I haven't been able to go very far into a game is that the engine keeps clearing the video cache when UI windows are opened, "forgetting" 100+ MBs of textures or whatever, which it then feeds to the video card again while the terrain gets redrawn. It soon becomes unbearable so I've been mostly trying (unsuccessfully) to find settings that would prevent that from happening rather than actually playing the game ...

This, however, seems to be a problem specific to the ATI X1000 series of gfx cards, which Firaxis apparently deemed not worthy of supporting (the story being that it's a generation older than what they list as min. reqs - never mind several of those cards are faster - and that ATI doesn't upgrade drivers for those anymore). The good news in your case is that although your gfx card is slower than mine, it's the same generation as what's listed as min. reqs for nVidia, so it's much more likely that although your gfx card is below reqs, it's indirectly supported.

In other words, I think your rig can handle the game, you should however try the demo and check for yourself. I'd also suggest to wait a few weeks for Firaxis to fix the bulk of the most crippling bugs currently affecting the game, as it *really* wasn't ready for release.

Edit: I must also insist that I don't know how the late game handles, I've done about 80 turns max.
    Edit2: Also note that my card has got 512MB of video ram, I don't know how it handles on 256MB if that's how much you've got.

5. zangief

zangief Chieftain

I took a screen shot to show you:

6. zangief

zangief Chieftain

Actually this is awesome that you say this. It seriously gives me hope! I'm playing the demo right now, and I'm about 120 turns into the game. Obviously I can tell more data is going on, as the turns for the opponents seem to be taking longer. Nothing deal breaking, but it's there. Patience goes very far :)

I like what you said about waiting for more patches? Any ETA on this? I'll snoop around more on the forums to find some answers myself, but I always appreciate awesome help where I can find it, so thanks you guys!

7. tokala

tokala Emperor

People got it to run on worse hardware. Your video card is only slightly underspec'ed, should be good for min to med settings. The CPU will have problems handling higher graphics setting (yes, the graphics is pretty CPU intensive) and obviously in the later game you have to expect long turn times, especially with "small" and larger maps ;)
    On a tiny map, extrapolating from my experience, I would estimate ~30s as a worst case turn time, should be around 15s most of the tiem

RAM is no problem.

8. zangief

zangief Chieftain

Really?

That's some awesome input my friend! Made me wake up to a new smile, and excitement that I may be able to buy and play this beast on my dinosaur ha ha! Appreciate the awesomeness brother!

I'm going to keep playing the demo till it craps out or something. Does anyone know what the turn limit is on the demo?

9. tokala

tokala Emperor

100 turns, one map only :(

10. Equendil

Equendil Chieftain

No ETA I've seen on anything, I expect Firaxis devs are currently running on gallons of coffee, chained to their computers, trying to replicate, isolate and fix the more pressing issues preventing people from playing the game at all (various crashes before the main menu even loads, in game crashes, broken savegames, etc).

11. zangief

zangief Chieftain

I bet!

12. zangief

zangief Chieftain

So I hit the dreaded 100 turn mark, still kicking. But I can clearly tell, that by turn 100 is still so far away from a full game. Oh boy!